C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown Engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 11:59 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Subscribed. Hope the OP is able to find out the root cause of the failure. Curious to know. As many have said... could be a few things: timing chain, dropped valve (rocker arm or spring), stuck injector, etc.

The fact that the car hesitated and wouldn't accelerate is interesting... usually a broken timing chain or dropped valve is just sudden catastrophic failure.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:10 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by travisnd
Subscribed. Hope the OP is able to find out the root cause of the failure. Curious to know. As many have said... could be a few things: timing chain, dropped valve (rocker arm or spring), stuck injector, etc.

The fact that the car hesitated and wouldn't accelerate is interesting... usually a broken timing chain or dropped valve is just sudden catastrophic failure.
Sometimes, I remember I was letting someone drive one of my race cars years ago and it tossed a connecting rod through the block around the 1/8 mile mark and he stayed in it the whole 1/4 mile. When I went to tow him back he said 'it felt like it lost some power but I could have swore I was catching up to the other guy' lol.

You would think the cloud of smoke would have been a tip off but it was a dry sump car and luckily he didnit drive over the oil and lose it. But it jut goes to show when someone is concentrating on something else sometimes obvious things can be over looked, my driver was concentrating on winning, the OP was concentrating on getting pulled over safely so you can miss a few things.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:01 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 219 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by NSC5
We all need to keep in mind that this incident is bad but at this point it certainly doesn't provide data indicating a systemic problem with the 6.2. Several years ago I was driving back to Cosby TN after dark in my nearly new 1991 GMC pickup and I had a sudden flat with lots of odd noise. When I took the pickup to a shop the next day to have the spare tire mounted on the regular aluminum wheel and to get a new tire for a spare the shop found a very slightly used disc brake pad which had fallen off someone's car and gone inside my tire and stayed inside the wheel. Surprisingly the aluminum wheel was fine but it shows what kind of odd things can happen. I could have understood a brand new pad that had never been installed but this one had slight use and thus apparently separated from someone's brake assembly.
Agreed. Additionally, this incident will help identify the problem since it's rather high-profile. The incident team will get on this right away since multiple partied are involved in the failure.

So there's a silver lining, but I'm still sorry to the OP. Perhaps you'll get more than a new engine out of it if you push a bit.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:57 PM
XEUROTRASHOWNER
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Sorry to hear this. Don't worry GM will quickly make it right. You should also demand a free extended warranty.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:54 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by XEUROTRASHOWNER
Sorry to hear this. Don't worry GM will quickly make it right. You should also demand a free extended warranty.
Just an extended warranty? I'm sure they will be a lot more generous than that!

So with the guy behind you crashing, who's insurance covers that? Yours or GMs?
Old 06-04-2014, 11:59 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 219 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz

That has to be handled by GM if this is considered a manufacturer defect. The lawsuit door is wide open for the other plaintiff, and I'm quite sure the OP's insurance company would sue GM if they tried to pass it off on them.

Insurance companies aren't responsible for catastrophic manufacturer defects or the results thereof. I'm not sure if that's on a state-by-state basis, but a personal injury/liability attorney could certainly chime in here.

That's why I (and most likely many of you) carry an umbrella policy, just for weird stuff like this.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:45 AM
X I L R 8 E D
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curious to hear what the cause was. I just started having strange acceleration issues with serious jerking. Taking her in on Saturday.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:02 AM
BADA BING
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

subscribed to this for more info
Old 06-05-2014, 10:29 AM
CTYANK2
Cruising is the passion!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 304 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Crappppppp .... just heard about this ... after seeing you and the car several times over the last few weeks (including Monday) hard to figure how this could have happened! GM should step-up!

** For those that don't know Zing, no mods and car driven gently.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:49 AM
lgodom
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

Wow! Sorry to hear about the engine failure, but glad nobody got hurt, especially the other driver.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:36 PM
ElFingers
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Strange

So, today I'm entering the freeway ramp and I get on her pretty good, when all of a sudden I loose RPMs; almost felt like I tapped the rev limiter but was not in the high RPM range. It stuttered, and then recovered slowly; after that no issues. However, a bit freaked out now given this current thread as it's very similar to what I experienced minus the blown engine. VERY interested in the outcome and root cause...
Old 06-05-2014, 04:12 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by ElFingers
So, today I'm entering the freeway ramp and I get on her pretty good, when all of a sudden I loose RPMs; almost felt like I tapped the rev limiter but was not in the high RPM range. It stuttered, and then recovered slowly; after that no issues. However, a bit freaked out now given this current thread as it's very similar to what I experienced minus the blown engine. VERY interested in the outcome and root cause...
Sounds like the stability/traction nannies may have woken up for a moment. Hard acceleration while making the normal slight turn while following an on-ramp/merging is a perfect way to get the rear end slightly loose, especially if the tires are a little cool. Just like ABS this system, particularly when not in a competitive driving mode, will react before you even realize you are losing traction.

When it senses loss of traction or stability the electronic throttle closes, timing is retarded, and braking will be selectively applied as needed.

Last edited by NSC5; 06-05-2014 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:38 PM
ElFingers
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default No nannies

Sounds like the stability/traction nannies may have woken up for a moment. Hard acceleration while making the normal slight turn while following an on-ramp/merging is a perfect way to get the rear end slightly loose, especially if the tires are a little cool. Just like ABS this system, particularly when not in a competitive driving mode, will react before you even realize you are losing traction.

When it senses loss of traction or stability the electronic throttle closes, timing is retarded, and braking will be selectively applied as needed.
I was in track mode; dry ptm; you may be right, although I thought nannies were turned off in this mode
Old 06-05-2014, 05:04 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by ElFingers
I was in track mode; dry ptm; you may be right, although I thought nannies were turned off in this mode
Modes 1 through 3 still have active handling enabled though in lesser amounts as you go up numerically. I am waiting to order a C7 until the Z06 has been out for a few months so I cannot speak from C7 experience but from experience in other cars it is pretty easy to get a high power RWD car to start merging into the normal lane faster than you want it to It isn't unusual to find more "foreign material" on the on ramp pavement than you will find in the normal lanes so acceleration that wouldn't break the tires loose on the road will do so when trying to enter.

If you try this in PTM mode 4 or 5 then be very prepared to do your own traction management and stability control. Or as GM says these are for use on the track where if you are lucky there will be a grassy runoff instead of a 80,000 pound semi.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:08 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Modes 1 through 3 still have active handling enabled though in lesser amounts as you go up numerically. I am waiting to order a C7 until the Z06 has been out for a few months so I cannot speak from C7 experience but from experience in other cars it is pretty easy to get a high power RWD car to start merging into the normal lane faster than you want it to It isn't unusual to find more "foreign material" on the on ramp pavement than you will find in the normal lanes so acceleration that wouldn't break the tires loose on the road will do so when trying to enter.

If you try this in PTM mode 4 or 5 then be very prepared to do your own traction management and stability control. Or as GM says these are for use on the track where if you are lucky there will be a grassy runoff instead of a 80,000 pound semi.
You are 100% correct. I agree, it was most certainly the nannies kicking in. Good call.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:31 PM
Zing
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Working with GM now, a team is being flown out for investigation.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:46 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

wow sucky deal man why not tear out old motor send it to build center not sure what they will find checking it out at dealership

Get notified of new replies

To Blown Engine

Old 06-05-2014, 10:17 PM
Skunkworks
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz

If not mistaken you bitched about delay in waiting for your supercharger kit? If I have you mistaken with someday else, sorry.

If not, what if you toss a rod because of supercharger, oil road down, cause a multi vehicle pileup? What if somebody tries to sue you into oblivion? Are you going to go after who supplied your kit? Or maybe GM because they did not add sufficient safety margins to cover 0.01% of possible applications.

It’s attitudes like this that cause manufacturers to set aside $XXXX funds for possible litigation. Just look at general aircraft industry, in some cases 40% of purchase price is set aside for potential litigation (that’s why this industry is all but dead). I could go on, but with attitudes like yours, killing off a vehicle we all like is in the cards, if not sports cars a whole.

If a plasma TV fails, are you entitled to pain and suffering?
Old 06-05-2014, 10:19 PM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

interested to hear what happened to engine...glad no one seriously hurt
Old 06-06-2014, 12:06 AM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Quick Reply: Blown Engine