C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-06-2015, 01:16 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

AFE Cold Air Intake-Initial Review on Installation, Start Up, Driving Impressions

Old 05-22-2014, 10:17 PM
VAmikeC7
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AFE Cold Air Intake-Initial Review on Installation, Start Up, Driving Impressions

I received my intake from the group sale thread that AFE posted about a week and a half ago. I will take a little time to post my initial thoughts, from the packaging, installation, and the result(s). Unfortunately, bad weather that came during the installation did not allow me to take it out for a spin, but I will follow up tomorrow with an update to this thread and share my thoughts. Here it goes:

Receipt/Unboxing:

Very nice box, black cardboard with an almost reflective yet matted look to it. Small sticker on both sides of the box that shows a picture of the intake that the box contains. Box was perfect with no creases or damage whatsoever. Upon opening, I see a lot of cardboard paper and the usual, but everything in the package was placed where it was to not be disturbed while in transit. The filter was packaged in a separate bag in a separate box within the whole package--which I thought was a nice touch. The cleaning kit was also included, and that had its own box too. All in all, very professionally packaged, and there is a sticker inside the flap of the box that tells me that it was quality inspected on 5/16/14--the day it was shipped out, too!

Removal of OEM air box, filter, installation,etc:

I found it fairly easy to remove the OEM Filter housing and intake tube. The instructions that it came with were very detailed and went into detail on how to remove everything. The one thing I found slightly difficult was that the last screw holding the radiator heat extractor closest to the passenger side was kind of hard to get to because there was a hose/coil that was in the way of getting to that bolt. I didn't want to move the coil too much as it appeared to feel like it wouldn't budge. I had to use a long and thin ratchet to get to it. Once I got to it, the whole assembly literally comes right out. Once I removed the OEM t clamps, removing the stock intake tube (after taking off the intake tubes and the MAF sensor) was very easy and straightforward.

You are to re-use the OEM rubber grommets and transfer them to the AFE filter housing. The AFE housing had the inserts to where the OEM grommets would go and this made it all super easy and seamless (nice touch). The filter itself is fairly large, larger than the OEM, but you can immediately notice how much more free-flowing it is than the OEM paper filter, which looks so restrictive compared to the AFE filter. Following the instructions, I made to sure install everything as smoothly as I could and not attempt to force anything. The AFE kit comes with the replacement intake tube bolts that you screw into the resonator piece on the intake tube. I used the supplied lock-tite to further tighten the bolt. Again, nice little touch that eliminates any need to go out and get anything that is needed to complete installation.

I carefully transferred the MAF sensor onto the new AFE tube and they supplied the new M4 screws to tighten these down. I don't think they were needed but the screws are flat head as opposed to phillips and they seemed to be way better quality than OEM. I used the AFE M4 screws just cause I figured "why not, they look better anyways."

Installation of the intake tube into the filter housing and throttle body was a little tight and tricky. There is virtually very little to no flex in the tube compared to the OEM one, so don't feel tempted to bend it to make it fit. Just coax it in. I found that undoing the t clamps entirely so they can be opened and then wrapped around the throttle body connector/rubber hose made it easier and eliminated any crimping that would make it difficult to slide onto the throttle body. What concerns me a little bit is that there is an ever so slight gap between the male and female connector from the intake tube into the new filter housing. I made sure to tighten the large t clamps over each opening, but the gap is still there (pic below). However, I don't think any air will escape and I think a little play is okay for when the motor is flexing a bit under load. When I was done with installation, I did not hear or feel any air escaping the intake area or filter housing. I think its pretty tight internally with all the overlapping rubber.

After re-connecting the resonator hoses onto the new bolts and connecting the MAF sensor, I made sure to tighten down all the t bolt clamps (and admire the see through window of the filter housing!) as best as I could, checked my work, and started the car. No check engine light, nothing weird.

But I noticed something different immediately upon start up, which sounded like a deeper rumble from the engine. It just sounds a little throatier to me and just had a more pronounced sound. Due to the pouring rain, I didn't drive it, but I revved it up quite a bit and there is a noticeable "sucking" sound and it just sounds more free-flowing than before. Sounds promising! All in all, the installation took me about 45 minutes (10 of which was spent trying to get off the last bolt from the radiator extractor piece), and I stopped to get a drink since it was muggy in my garage. It looks great and looks a hell of a lot better than the OEM filter and intake. Definitely saved about 5 pounds or so of weight from the front of the car too! I loved how AFE packaged it, the ease of the instructions and the window for checking the filter is a really cool touch and will be a conversation piece, that's for sure!

Driving Impressions: UPDATED

This morning was a cool 67 degrees here in Central Virginia and with a 20ish mile drive to work, I was looking forward to seeing any changes that I could feel right away (although I know it will take a couple hundred miles for the computer to adjust, my car is also Diablo tuned, as well). Pulling out of my neighborhood (the RPM guage was still showing the yellow and red warning lines, so the car didn't warm up until I got to the main road about 10 minutes after leaving my house). Getting onto the entrance ramp to the highway, I decided to put it in 3rd gear and I was going about 45 around the ramp, and gradually increasing to about 55 to the point where I could just punch it as I am getting onto the highway. A lot of people are off today so the highway was empty, so I punched it in 3rd from about 60 and the very first thing was the AWESOME sucking and throatier sound. It was immediately noticeable to me. It just sounded FREE. At this point I had done about 7 miles from leaving my house to the highway, and while I know it takes some time, I noticed that 3rd gear (I have MN7) felt a little more happier on the top end, since I was doing about 70 after merging on the highway (speed limit is 70 in Central VA), and it just felt like it got there smoother and quicker than it did before but I don't want to deny the placebo effect. I put it in 6th gear soon after and cruised the next 10 miles to my office. Very quiet, but when I put it into 5th to give it a little more go, it has a throatier sound at the low end when you give it a slight push of the accelerator. Very sweet sound, to be honest.

Pulling into my corporate complex, it's like a long wavy road, and when I turn into the complex, I like to put it in 1st gear as I'm rolling in, then punch it for giggles. I would always chirp the tires a bit when I mash it around 15 mph and then the tires would stick (having only driven the car since early spring, my tires have always been warmed up after driving about 20 miles in 70-80+ degree temperature.) However, when I did it this morning, with the temp nearly 73 when I got to work, I decided to punch it from about 17 mph and the tires were spinning/hopping like crazy with the TC kicking in and this did NOT occur before (2900 miles and tires are virtually brand new). The engine sounded like it had a different tone--almost a deeper roar to it. It definitely raised my eyebrows a little bit, that's for sure. Sounds promising. I will update more when I have hit about 100/200/300 miles after installing, which I think will occur sometime around early next week.

People who are getting this won't be disappointed at all. Thanks AFE for making a wonderful product!

Last edited by VAmikeC7; 05-23-2014 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:42 PM
xp800
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 151 Posts

Installed mine tonight too. Spot on observations of the installation. Great pix too.

I found the same slight difficulties you did with needing to open the throttle body T-clamps to get them on as well as the "forceful coaxing" to get it all in place. I too had the slight misalignment from the filter outer seal to the new air box. The filter itself is completely secure to the intake tube, so there's no danger of unfiltered air getting in. I didn't fire it up, but am looking forward to it tomorrow!

I also noticed the MAF location crowds the hose passing by, needing to bend it by. No biggie.

I got to the one extractor housing screw by using a magnetic tip screwdriver with a 1/4" socket adapter and 7mm socket. It's just the right overall length. I have actually had the extractor in and out a number of times as I've swapped throttle bodies a couple times.

Last edited by xp800; 05-22-2014 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:52 PM
VAmikeC7
Racer

Originally Posted by xp800
Installed mine tonight too. Spot on observations of the installation. Great pix too.

I found the same slight difficulties you did with needing to open the throttle body T-clamps to get them on as well as the "forceful coaxing" to get it all in place. I too had the slight misalignment from the filter outer seal to the new air box. The filter itself is completely secure to the intake tube, so there's no danger of unfiltered air getting in. I didn't fire it up, but am looking forward to it tomorrow!

I also noticed the MAF location crowds the hose passing by, needing to bend it by. No biggie.

I got to the one extractor housing screw by using a magnetic tip screwdriver with a 1/4" socket adapter and 7mm socket. It's just the right overall length. I have actually had the extractor in and out a number of times as I've swapped throttle bodies a couple times.
I noticed the MAF crowds it, but I actually wrapped it around the outer edge after I noticed it again and it seems to "flow better." I can be slightly OCD about things looking crimped and whatnot.

I should have used a magnetic tip driver but unfortunately did not have one. Definitely would have made it easier!
Old 05-22-2014, 11:36 PM
xp800
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 151 Posts

My pix of the install. Like your choice of color VAmike!:

Hose resting on MAF plug. May wrap it with something to prevent chaffing:

Closeup of uneven gap between filter outer seal and airbox. I could hold it in correct position, but no amount of tightneing would prevent it slipping back to this position since silicone rubber was so slippery. Not worried though... :

Last edited by xp800; 05-22-2014 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:49 AM
VAmikeC7
Racer

Originally Posted by xp800
My pix of the install. Like your choice of color VAmike!:

Hose resting on MAF plug. May wrap it with something to prevent chaffing:

Closeup of uneven gap between filter outer seal and airbox. I could hold it in correct position, but no amount of tightneing would prevent it slipping back to this position since silicone rubber was so slippery. Not worried though... :
That's the exact gap I have. I noticed this morning however, after driving about 20 miles to work, that the gap is less noticeable and feels tighter. Maybe the ambient heat causes the housing to expand. When I opened the hood as soon as I parked the car, I checked to make sure nothing was loose or out of the ordinary. I will now update my OP to briefly describe my driving experience so far.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:13 AM
DocHolliday
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Great write up, I'll be install mine this weekend and this will help for sure.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:11 AM
VAmikeC7
Racer

Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Great write up, I'll be install mine this weekend and this will help for sure.
Happy to have helped in any way! You won't be disappointed.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:44 AM
vincent_esq
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 38 Posts

I have the same gap on mine also.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:59 AM
droideka
Instructor

thanks for the write-up and heads-up on the install quirks! mine's sitting in the box until i get my weapon-x TB and a baseline in a week or so. i like to know what i'm putting down every step of the way and tend to spend a lot on dynos. heh.

i'll be supplying a baseline and a plot for the AFE/W-X TB pair as well in the next few weeks.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:14 AM
VAmikeC7
Racer

Originally Posted by droideka
thanks for the write-up and heads-up on the install quirks! mine's sitting in the box until i get my weapon-x TB and a baseline in a week or so. i like to know what i'm putting down every step of the way and tend to spend a lot on dynos. heh.

i'll be supplying a baseline and a plot for the AFE/W-X TB pair as well in the next few weeks.
Awesome! I am awaiting my TB as well. I hope Diablo can come up with a tune to maximize the potential of the TB/Intake. (I have diablo tune already). Would be nice.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:37 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,680 Likes on 2,899 Posts

Looks like most people are opting for the oiled filter! I'm excited for my box to arrive
Old 05-23-2014, 01:31 PM
M3GUY01
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VAmikeC7
Happy to have helped in any way! You won't be disappointed.
Great write up and review! Thanks for sharing!!
Its Awsome to have people like you in these forums to give honest feedback!
Old 05-23-2014, 01:35 PM
M3GUY01
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by droideka

Going with this set up as well, maybe the go to mod set up!! You will probably beat me to a dyno. Cant wait for your results!!

Dont know if the Diablo tune is worth it yet, unless they can tune it specifically for these mods.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:31 PM
DocHolliday
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Kracka
Looks like most people are opting for the oiled filter! I'm excited for my box to arrive
I'm in the minority as I went with the non-oiled filter.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:58 PM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I'm in the minority as I went with the non-oiled filter.
Same here, I went non-oiled. I've become tired of the oiled filters in the last many years, so a non-oiled option is always welcomed.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:02 PM
Vettefan666
Instructor

Originally Posted by HalfMoon
Same here, I went non-oiled. I've become tired of the oiled filters in the last many years, so a non-oiled option is always welcomed.
Mine just arrived via UPS. Now..should I try the install myself or wait for my GM tech buddy??
Old 05-23-2014, 10:03 PM
Vettefan666
Instructor

This looks like a very well-built system.

Get notified of new replies

To AFE Cold Air Intake-Initial Review on Installation, Start Up, Driving Impressions

Old 05-24-2014, 07:17 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Can't wait for mine to show up...
Old 05-24-2014, 08:51 AM
ncrowe
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I installed mine this week, I also have the diablo trinity and I'm running the 93 tune. HUGE difference. Car pulls much harder, deeper growl - and I'm still waiting for the TB to come in

I'm not sure the average person is going to want much more than a tune, CAI and TB...... I've spent alot of time in 1/4 mile cars, and I can tell you this is a solid 11.80 car as it sits on street tires. If a can figure out how to launch the car (stick) this car has 11.5-6 in it
Old 05-24-2014, 08:35 PM
Vettefan666
Instructor

Anyway, I REUSED the cheesy foam seal off the stock piece to have some sealing where the air filter housing bolts to the side of the car. Anyone else do this?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AFE Cold Air Intake-Initial Review on Installation, Start Up, Driving Impressions