C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-06-2015, 01:16 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

AFE Cold Air Intake-Initial Review on Installation, Start Up, Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 04:12 PM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just got back from my dealer today, and they complemented me on the intake. You should be good unless your dealership is full of d1k3 heads :P
Old 06-05-2014, 11:16 PM
Bill B 1
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by aFe POWER
Yep, and it's designed to have some flex in the kit, same as OE components, to allow for the engine torque. We did hear some of the filters should have been wiped down a bit more to remove some of the polyurethane mold release, which can make them very slick (so they come out of the mold easy).

The T-bolt clamps are useful in this scenario because unlike worm-drive clamps they have equal pressure across the entire clamp, not localized, which helps with the large housing and large filter.
I just placed an order for the aFe Power intake. As others have stated I already have the Diablo tune. Any thoughts on how the free flowing intake will affect the tune/engine? In your opinion will this setup be safe and perform well without tweaking?
Old 07-19-2014, 11:12 PM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

Just got mine delivered via FedEx today....will install it in the next few days and give my impressions....hope I like it...
Old 07-19-2014, 11:38 PM
M3GUY01
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have mine still in the box , hopefully I can install next week, will post my feedback.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:23 PM
Tom Kane
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aFe POWER
The "slippery" feel is some remaining polyurethane mold release, it does it's job very well in ensuring the filter urethane comes out of the mold, but it can be slick to work with, including messing with you on the part installation.
Have the AFE. On and off car many times for other mods. Here is a ultra cheap suggestion to close the gaps. As you face the car on PAX side, align both clamps side by side. They must have the nuts and connections next to each other. HAVE the nut side / threads facing up and on left side of air box as you look down at it. You should see about once inch of threads. Take a heavy tie rap and put it around both threaded parts and snug up very tight. You are snugging up one threaded part to the other threaded part. To insure, put a second tie rap around the treads also. I think you will find the entire unit all around will be snug with no gaps. I wanted no noise or very little, so I bought some RTV from the auto store, BLACK and the location where you installed the SIDE bolts on the air box to the car, I filled them with RTV. Very quiet unless your getting on it. Quick fix and cheap. Major difference in noise. Still hear the air like stock only more so, but got rid of all that sound at very light throttle.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:35 PM
Tom Kane
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by VAmikeC7
I received my intake from the group sale thread that AFE posted about a week and a half ago. I will take a little time to post my initial thoughts, from the packaging, installation, and the result(s). Unfortunately, bad weather that came during the installation did not allow me to take it out for a spin, but I will follow up tomorrow with an update to this thread and share my thoughts. Here it goes:

Receipt/Unboxing:

Very nice box, black cardboard with an almost reflective yet matted look to it. Small sticker on both sides of the box that shows a picture of the intake that the box contains. Box was perfect with no creases or damage whatsoever. Upon opening, I see a lot of cardboard paper and the usual, but everything in the package was placed where it was to not be disturbed while in transit. The filter was packaged in a separate bag in a separate box within the whole package--which I thought was a nice touch. The cleaning kit was also included, and that had its own box too. All in all, very professionally packaged, and there is a sticker inside the flap of the box that tells me that it was quality inspected on 5/16/14--the day it was shipped out, too!

Removal of OEM air box, filter, installation,etc:

I found it fairly easy to remove the OEM Filter housing and intake tube. The instructions that it came with were very detailed and went into detail on how to remove everything. The one thing I found slightly difficult was that the last screw holding the radiator heat extractor closest to the passenger side was kind of hard to get to because there was a hose/coil that was in the way of getting to that bolt. I didn't want to move the coil too much as it appeared to feel like it wouldn't budge. I had to use a long and thin ratchet to get to it. Once I got to it, the whole assembly literally comes right out. Once I removed the OEM t clamps, removing the stock intake tube (after taking off the intake tubes and the MAF sensor) was very easy and straightforward.

You are to re-use the OEM rubber grommets and transfer them to the AFE filter housing. The AFE housing had the inserts to where the OEM grommets would go and this made it all super easy and seamless (nice touch). The filter itself is fairly large, larger than the OEM, but you can immediately notice how much more free-flowing it is than the OEM paper filter, which looks so restrictive compared to the AFE filter. Following the instructions, I made to sure install everything as smoothly as I could and not attempt to force anything. The AFE kit comes with the replacement intake tube bolts that you screw into the resonator piece on the intake tube. I used the supplied lock-tite to further tighten the bolt. Again, nice little touch that eliminates any need to go out and get anything that is needed to complete installation.

I carefully transferred the MAF sensor onto the new AFE tube and they supplied the new M4 screws to tighten these down. I don't think they were needed but the screws are flat head as opposed to phillips and they seemed to be way better quality than OEM. I used the AFE M4 screws just cause I figured "why not, they look better anyways."

Installation of the intake tube into the filter housing and throttle body was a little tight and tricky. There is virtually very little to no flex in the tube compared to the OEM one, so don't feel tempted to bend it to make it fit. Just coax it in. I found that undoing the t clamps entirely so they can be opened and then wrapped around the throttle body connector/rubber hose made it easier and eliminated any crimping that would make it difficult to slide onto the throttle body. What concerns me a little bit is that there is an ever so slight gap between the male and female connector from the intake tube into the new filter housing. I made sure to tighten the large t clamps over each opening, but the gap is still there (pic below). However, I don't think any air will escape and I think a little play is okay for when the motor is flexing a bit under load. When I was done with installation, I did not hear or feel any air escaping the intake area or filter housing. I think its pretty tight internally with all the overlapping rubber.

After re-connecting the resonator hoses onto the new bolts and connecting the MAF sensor, I made sure to tighten down all the t bolt clamps (and admire the see through window of the filter housing!) as best as I could, checked my work, and started the car. No check engine light, nothing weird.

But I noticed something different immediately upon start up, which sounded like a deeper rumble from the engine. It just sounds a little throatier to me and just had a more pronounced sound. Due to the pouring rain, I didn't drive it, but I revved it up quite a bit and there is a noticeable "sucking" sound and it just sounds more free-flowing than before. Sounds promising! All in all, the installation took me about 45 minutes (10 of which was spent trying to get off the last bolt from the radiator extractor piece), and I stopped to get a drink since it was muggy in my garage. It looks great and looks a hell of a lot better than the OEM filter and intake. Definitely saved about 5 pounds or so of weight from the front of the car too! I loved how AFE packaged it, the ease of the instructions and the window for checking the filter is a really cool touch and will be a conversation piece, that's for sure!

Driving Impressions: UPDATED

This morning was a cool 67 degrees here in Central Virginia and with a 20ish mile drive to work, I was looking forward to seeing any changes that I could feel right away (although I know it will take a couple hundred miles for the computer to adjust, my car is also Diablo tuned, as well). Pulling out of my neighborhood (the RPM guage was still showing the yellow and red warning lines, so the car didn't warm up until I got to the main road about 10 minutes after leaving my house). Getting onto the entrance ramp to the highway, I decided to put it in 3rd gear and I was going about 45 around the ramp, and gradually increasing to about 55 to the point where I could just punch it as I am getting onto the highway. A lot of people are off today so the highway was empty, so I punched it in 3rd from about 60 and the very first thing was the AWESOME sucking and throatier sound. It was immediately noticeable to me. It just sounded FREE. At this point I had done about 7 miles from leaving my house to the highway, and while I know it takes some time, I noticed that 3rd gear (I have MN7) felt a little more happier on the top end, since I was doing about 70 after merging on the highway (speed limit is 70 in Central VA), and it just felt like it got there smoother and quicker than it did before but I don't want to deny the placebo effect. I put it in 6th gear soon after and cruised the next 10 miles to my office. Very quiet, but when I put it into 5th to give it a little more go, it has a throatier sound at the low end when you give it a slight push of the accelerator. Very sweet sound, to be honest.

Pulling into my corporate complex, it's like a long wavy road, and when I turn into the complex, I like to put it in 1st gear as I'm rolling in, then punch it for giggles. I would always chirp the tires a bit when I mash it around 15 mph and then the tires would stick (having only driven the car since early spring, my tires have always been warmed up after driving about 20 miles in 70-80+ degree temperature.) However, when I did it this morning, with the temp nearly 73 when I got to work, I decided to punch it from about 17 mph and the tires were spinning/hopping like crazy with the TC kicking in and this did NOT occur before (2900 miles and tires are virtually brand new). The engine sounded like it had a different tone--almost a deeper roar to it. It definitely raised my eyebrows a little bit, that's for sure. Sounds promising. I will update more when I have hit about 100/200/300 miles after installing, which I think will occur sometime around early next week.

People who are getting this won't be disappointed at all. Thanks AFE for making a wonderful product!
Do YOU see those TWO THREADED bolts sticking up. Get a tie rap around both and pull them tight together. By by gap ypu see, also quieter. Put SECOND. Tie rap mention to first. The entire housing will be pulled together tight, all the way around
Old 07-25-2014, 06:50 AM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Ok...so installed mine, very easy and straightforward removal of the stock intake and subsequent installation of the aFe intake.

The only issue I had was it felt as if the T clamps just never got tight enough...no matter how much I tightened, it didn't feel like the clamps were truly clamping down, and I went real tight, particularly on the clamps on the filter housing to the point where I felt I would run out of threads...but still not tight enough...I spoke to someone at aFe yesterday and he said I should back off the T clamps and not over tighten as all I was doing was compressing the silicone...I loosened all the clamps a bit last night, they are still feeling as if they are secure...

I really love the look of the installed intake and love the throatier sound compared to stock...overall very well designed and the company was responsive to my question with a return phone call from them a few hours after I left them a message..hope the clamps hold up and nothing comes loose...

Oh and btw...I did not get a recharge kit in my box...did everyone get one included?

Last edited by Nyvetteguy007; 07-25-2014 at 06:53 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:53 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,716 Likes on 2,921 Posts

I got the recharge kit in my box for the oiled filter. The dry filter needs nothing more than a mild dishsoap & water to clean. It is very easy to over-tighten T-bolt clamps. The air intake is not pressurized so there is no reason to gorilla-arm them on there, all you'll do is compress the silicone and crack the plastic; snug is tight enough for this application. I've crushed a metal pipe before tightening a T-bolt because it didn't feel tight enough. Since then when tightening I always use a 1/4" drive ratchet and choke up on up basically holding it at the head and even on an application running 27-29 psig/boost never did I blow off a pipe or coupler.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:56 AM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Kracka
I got the recharge kit in my box for the oiled filter. The dry filter needs nothing more than a mild dishsoap & water to clean. It is very easy to over-tighten T-bolt clamps. The air intake is not pressurized so there is no reason to gorilla-arm them on there, all you'll do is compress the silicone and crack the plastic; snug is tight enough for this application. I've crushed a metal pipe before tightening a T-bolt because it didn't feel tight enough. Since then when tightening I always use a 1/4" drive ratchet and choke up on up basically holding it at the head and even on an application running 27-29 psig/boost never did I blow off a pipe or coupler.
Yeah...I may back them off a little more based on what you are saying

Mine is the oiled filter...hmmmm I better call them....
Old 09-23-2014, 11:11 AM
Newton06
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by spaceaholic
Hope thats not true with the AFE/Weapon-X TB combo or I will have wasted a lot of money.
Yup. My tuner/builder said the same thing. Also said intakes (i.e. FAST) are not worth the money.

Same realm as throttle-body 'spacers'...
Old 09-23-2014, 11:31 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Newton06
Yup. My tuner/builder said the same thing. Also said intakes (i.e. FAST) are not worth the money.

Same realm as throttle-body 'spacers'...
30whp gains are being found with ported LT1 manifolds......your tuner is stuck in 2005.

all of these intake parts will show gains when your car is modded. if you increase airflow through a part that is not already a limitation then you have not done anything, this is true.

but once you give your engine the ability to move more air, the restrictions begin to show.

as always, build to a goal. don't just throw parts at your car.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:22 AM
Newton06
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
30whp gains are being found with ported LT1 manifolds......your tuner is stuck in 2005.

all of these intake parts will show gains when your car is modded. if you increase airflow through a part that is not already a limitation then you have not done anything, this is true.

but once you give your engine the ability to move more air, the restrictions begin to show.

as always, build to a goal. don't just throw parts at your car.
That's interesting as he build the motors for most of the Corvette racers at VIR.

Give me an intake vendor that will stand behind a 30 RWHP gain on a stock motor after 3 pulls (hell even 75% of 30HP) or give my money back & then we can talk.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:01 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by Newton06
That's interesting as he build the motors for most of the Corvette racers at VIR.

Give me an intake vendor that will stand behind a 30 RWHP gain on a stock motor after 3 pulls (hell even 75% of 30HP) or give my money back & then we can talk.
there are posts on this forum mentioning it (and remember this isn't the only forum). this is also somewhat preliminary information as I obtained it over the phone.

you are welcome to dismiss my statement if you like, it makes no difference to me, but I wouldn't make it if it weren't valid.

let me ask you this, all those motors he builds for "VIR corvette racers," how many are 2014 LT1 motors and how many intakes has he ported and dynoed for the LT1? If i had to place a bet.....0.

I have a guy I am contracting to build my LT1 into a stroker motor....he has done 100s of LS motors. After talking with me about certain changes (that he assumed had not changed from LS) he was like, "Really? Really? Really? Wow, wow....."

not trying to be cryptic but that's pretty much all I can say.....it's safe to say between 10 and 30 whp.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:03 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

just to add, FAST intakes made a difference on a C5.....FAST intakes didn't do much of anything on the C6....so I know where he's coming from.

However, this is not an LS motor anymore.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:10 PM
0THMotorsports
Former Vendor

Sold a few of these last week! Will post when my customers have feedback!
Old 09-25-2014, 09:45 PM
beachcomber
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Alright, think it's time to ditch my green performance filter and purchase an AFe or LMR CAI, TB and a tune. Need to find a good package deal somewhere.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:42 PM
imxz28
Drifting

Received 456 Likes on 174 Posts

Is there any Dyno proven results on these aFe CAI?

Get notified of new replies

To AFE Cold Air Intake-Initial Review on Installation, Start Up, Driving Impressions

Old 01-13-2015, 01:46 PM
xp800
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by imxz28
Sure...
Yes...
You 'betcha...

I discussed my CAI only results here:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1588660564

And my original post in this very Tech section...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...eaponx-tb.html
The following users liked this post:
FreeAmr (05-02-2016)
Old 01-14-2015, 01:55 AM
imxz28
Drifting

Received 456 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by xp800
Sure...

And my original post in this very Tech section...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...eaponx-tb.html
Wow! thanks for a comprehensive study and posting as such. We need more like this for every mod!
Old 01-20-2015, 06:50 PM
Tom Kane
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by VAmikeC7
That's the exact gap I have. I noticed this morning however, after driving about 20 miles to work, that the gap is less noticeable and feels tighter. Maybe the ambient heat causes the housing to expand. When I opened the hood as soon as I parked the car, I checked to make sure nothing was loose or out of the ordinary. I will now update my OP to briefly describe my driving experience so far.
Suggestion... You have two clamps holdong the air tube to the filtor housing. Line up the two vertical clamps next to each other. Get a heavy tie rap and run it around both vertical clamps tightly. The gap will go away as will some of the sound. I actually put two tie raps on mine. Try it

Quick Reply: AFE Cold Air Intake-Initial Review on Installation, Start Up, Driving Impressions