C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-06-2015, 01:16 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

AFE Cold Air Intake-Initial Review on Installation, Start Up, Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 10:15 AM
dovervold
Melting Slicks

Received 232 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by droideka
thanks for the write-up and heads-up on the install quirks! mine's sitting in the box until i get my weapon-x TB and a baseline in a week or so. i like to know what i'm putting down every step of the way and tend to spend a lot on dynos. heh.

i'll be supplying a baseline and a plot for the AFE/W-X TB pair as well in the next few weeks.
I am waiting for Weapon X too, hope Ben catches up soon. And thanks for doing the baseline testing. I would love to see 30 whp from the AFE and the Ported TB
Old 05-25-2014, 12:11 PM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by dovervold
I am waiting for Weapon X too, hope Ben catches up soon. And thanks for doing the baseline testing. I would love to see 30 whp from the AFE and the Ported TB
“Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.” -Zig Ziglar

That way you won't be too let down. On my stock LS3 with an intake a ported TB gained 0 on the dyno, but it did give a feeling of smoother action of the throttle opening.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:14 PM
spaceaholic
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 77 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by HalfMoon
“Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.” -Zig Ziglar

That way you won't be too let down. On my stock LS3 with an intake a ported TB gained 0 on the dyno, but it did give a feeling of smoother action of the throttle opening.
Hope thats not true with the AFE/Weapon-X TB combo or I will have wasted a lot of money.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:20 PM
ncrowe
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by spaceaholic
Hope thats not true with the AFE/Weapon-X TB combo or I will have wasted a lot of money.
I've got the AFE installed, and if it's a zero gain then its THE best seat of the pants placebo effect I have ever experienced (but I'm not sure how a CAI could effect my butt so well)
Old 05-25-2014, 12:23 PM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by spaceaholic
YMMV, but myself and another member mentioned it in the TB thread.

I left my TB on my LS3 since it had a feel of increase and didn't hurt anything, but I skipped it on my '14 and only bought the aFe.

I think the TB is only going to show gains on a more modified car, so if you plan to go deeper into the modding game you will see some benefit other than perceived feelings on the butt dyno.

Originally Posted by ncrowe
I've got the AFE installed, and if it's a zero gain then its THE best seat of the pants placebo effect I have ever experienced (but I'm not sure how a CAI could effect my butt so well)

The comments were in regard to the throttle body, not the aFe intake.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:43 PM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Did mine this afternoon as well.

I also found that it was much easier to remove the clamps and put them on after I fitted the silicone coupler to the throttle body.

How much oil did you other Z51 guys find in your stock intake? Tonight I need to try to put on my catch can and clean side separator, I had a fair amount in mine.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:06 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Just did mine. Simple!
Old 05-26-2014, 01:15 PM
xp800
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 151 Posts

I took a 350 mile road trip this weekend. Much more noticeable intake resonance, V4 mode especially on low RPM tip-in/lugging.

On the long stretches of highway, I could really hear the V4 mode intake pulses when there was any engine load to maintain speed up slight inclines. The thrumming sound got tiring to be honest, and it made me uneasy since it almost sounded like misfires (even though I'm sure they weren't). Loved the Eco mileage though...

The V8 low RPM tip-in note was more pronounced and boomier - as you'd expect. It sounded ok to me, just louder.

I will be interested in how the A6 folks feel about this since V4 is nearly unavoidable.

Last edited by xp800; 05-26-2014 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:56 PM
0aFe POWER
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by xp800
Closeup of uneven gap between filter outer seal and airbox. I could hold it in correct position, but no amount of tightneing would prevent it slipping back to this position since silicone rubber was so slippery. Not worried though...
The "slippery" feel is some remaining polyurethane mold release, it does it's job very well in ensuring the filter urethane comes out of the mold, but it can be slick to work with, including messing with you on the part installation.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:03 AM
killascrimp
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put mine on last night love it, hope the dyno results come in because TB is next, then Corsa X , fun times ahead...It def sounds way better when you stomp on the gas
Old 05-31-2014, 11:49 AM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I took a 350 mile road trip this weekend. Much more noticeable intake resonance, V4 mode especially on low RPM tip-in/lugging.

On the long stretches of highway, I could really hear the V4 mode intake pulses when there was any engine load to maintain speed up slight inclines. The thrumming sound got tiring to be honest, and it made me uneasy since it almost sounded like misfires (even though I'm sure they weren't). Loved the Eco mileage though...

The V8 low RPM tip-in note was more pronounced and boomier - as you'd expect. It sounded ok to me, just louder.

I will be interested in how the A6 folks feel about this since V4 is nearly unavoidable.
Interesting observation. I noticed that too when in V4 mode with my M7. At low RPM particularly in 7th, V4 mode almost sounds like it's running on 8 cylinders. Not really annoying, just different. It brings to mind the kind of engineering that goes into little things like the air intakes on these cars just to keep the DOD unobtrusive and quiet. That said, those little things come at the expense of power and in this case, fairly reasonable amounts of power and responsiveness. If that's the only downside to cold air intakes on the C7, then I welcome it with open arms. If it's ever annoying I'll just turn the radio up, modulate my throttle to avoid it or switch to tour or sport.

That said, I'm really happy with the upgrade.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:04 PM
Tom Kane
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tom Kane

Originally Posted by VAmikeC7
I received my intake from the group sale thread that AFE posted about a week and a half ago. I will take a little time to post my initial thoughts, from the packaging, installation, and the result(s). Unfortunately, bad weather that came during the installation did not allow me to take it out for a spin, but I will follow up tomorrow with an update to this thread and share my thoughts. Here it goes:

Receipt/Unboxing:

Very nice box, black cardboard with an almost reflective yet matted look to it. Small sticker on both sides of the box that shows a picture of the intake that the box contains. Box was perfect with no creases or damage whatsoever. Upon opening, I see a lot of cardboard paper and the usual, but everything in the package was placed where it was to not be disturbed while in transit. The filter was packaged in a separate bag in a separate box within the whole package--which I thought was a nice touch. The cleaning kit was also included, and that had its own box too. All in all, very professionally packaged, and there is a sticker inside the flap of the box that tells me that it was quality inspected on 5/16/14--the day it was shipped out, too!

Removal of OEM air box, filter, installation,etc:

I found it fairly easy to remove the OEM Filter housing and intake tube. The instructions that it came with were very detailed and went into detail on how to remove everything. The one thing I found slightly difficult was that the last screw holding the radiator heat extractor closest to the passenger side was kind of hard to get to because there was a hose/coil that was in the way of getting to that bolt. I didn't want to move the coil too much as it appeared to feel like it wouldn't budge. I had to use a long and thin ratchet to get to it. Once I got to it, the whole assembly literally comes right out. Once I removed the OEM t clamps, removing the stock intake tube (after taking off the intake tubes and the MAF sensor) was very easy and straightforward.

You are to re-use the OEM rubber grommets and transfer them to the AFE filter housing. The AFE housing had the inserts to where the OEM grommets would go and this made it all super easy and seamless (nice touch). The filter itself is fairly large, larger than the OEM, but you can immediately notice how much more free-flowing it is than the OEM paper filter, which looks so restrictive compared to the AFE filter. Following the instructions, I made to sure install everything as smoothly as I could and not attempt to force anything. The AFE kit comes with the replacement intake tube bolts that you screw into the resonator piece on the intake tube. I used the supplied lock-tite to further tighten the bolt. Again, nice little touch that eliminates any need to go out and get anything that is needed to complete installation.

I carefully transferred the MAF sensor onto the new AFE tube and they supplied the new M4 screws to tighten these down. I don't think they were needed but the screws are flat head as opposed to phillips and they seemed to be way better quality than OEM. I used the AFE M4 screws just cause I figured "why not, they look better anyways."

Installation of the intake tube into the filter housing and throttle body was a little tight and tricky. There is virtually very little to no flex in the tube compared to the OEM one, so don't feel tempted to bend it to make it fit. Just coax it in. I found that undoing the t clamps entirely so they can be opened and then wrapped around the throttle body connector/rubber hose made it easier and eliminated any crimping that would make it difficult to slide onto the throttle body. What concerns me a little bit is that there is an ever so slight gap between the male and female connector from the intake tube into the new filter housing. I made sure to tighten the large t clamps over each opening, but the gap is still there (pic below). However, I don't think any air will escape and I think a little play is okay for when the motor is flexing a bit under load. When I was done with installation, I did not hear or feel any air escaping the intake area or filter housing. I think its pretty tight internally with all the overlapping rubber.

After re-connecting the resonator hoses onto the new bolts and connecting the MAF sensor, I made sure to tighten down all the t bolt clamps (and admire the see through window of the filter housing!) as best as I could, checked my work, and started the car. No check engine light, nothing weird.

But I noticed something different immediately upon start up, which sounded like a deeper rumble from the engine. It just sounds a little throatier to me and just had a more pronounced sound. Due to the pouring rain, I didn't drive it, but I revved it up quite a bit and there is a noticeable "sucking" sound and it just sounds more free-flowing than before. Sounds promising! All in all, the installation took me about 45 minutes (10 of which was spent trying to get off the last bolt from the radiator extractor piece), and I stopped to get a drink since it was muggy in my garage. It looks great and looks a hell of a lot better than the OEM filter and intake. Definitely saved about 5 pounds or so of weight from the front of the car too! I loved how AFE packaged it, the ease of the instructions and the window for checking the filter is a really cool touch and will be a conversation piece, that's for sure!

Driving Impressions: UPDATED

This morning was a cool 67 degrees here in Central Virginia and with a 20ish mile drive to work, I was looking forward to seeing any changes that I could feel right away (although I know it will take a couple hundred miles for the computer to adjust, my car is also Diablo tuned, as well). Pulling out of my neighborhood (the RPM guage was still showing the yellow and red warning lines, so the car didn't warm up until I got to the main road about 10 minutes after leaving my house). Getting onto the entrance ramp to the highway, I decided to put it in 3rd gear and I was going about 45 around the ramp, and gradually increasing to about 55 to the point where I could just punch it as I am getting onto the highway. A lot of people are off today so the highway was empty, so I punched it in 3rd from about 60 and the very first thing was the AWESOME sucking and throatier sound. It was immediately noticeable to me. It just sounded FREE. At this point I had done about 7 miles from leaving my house to the highway, and while I know it takes some time, I noticed that 3rd gear (I have MN7) felt a little more happier on the top end, since I was doing about 70 after merging on the highway (speed limit is 70 in Central VA), and it just felt like it got there smoother and quicker than it did before but I don't want to deny the placebo effect. I put it in 6th gear soon after and cruised the next 10 miles to my office. Very quiet, but when I put it into 5th to give it a little more go, it has a throatier sound at the low end when you give it a slight push of the accelerator. Very sweet sound, to be honest.

Pulling into my corporate complex, it's like a long wavy road, and when I turn into the complex, I like to put it in 1st gear as I'm rolling in, then punch it for giggles. I would always chirp the tires a bit when I mash it around 15 mph and then the tires would stick (having only driven the car since early spring, my tires have always been warmed up after driving about 20 miles in 70-80+ degree temperature.) However, when I did it this morning, with the temp nearly 73 when I got to work, I decided to punch it from about 17 mph and the tires were spinning/hopping like crazy with the TC kicking in and this did NOT occur before (2900 miles and tires are virtually brand new). The engine sounded like it had a different tone--almost a deeper roar to it. It definitely raised my eyebrows a little bit, that's for sure. Sounds promising. I will update more when I have hit about 100/200/300 miles after installing, which I think will occur sometime around early next week.

People who are getting this won't be disappointed at all. Thanks AFE for making a wonderful product!
. Hi, also have a C7 Auto. With Diablo and just installed the exact same cold air system....Did notice the MOVEMENT of the housing. Concerned me so I TIE RAPPED both. Clamps together. Stopped all movement. I could actually,move the tube on and out of the FILTOR housing about a quarter of an inch. That scarred me. Called the FCTY and they said that is normal. Maybe, but it also could be a air leak or unfiltered air. Anyway toe raps TWO work just gin and I Slerp better.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:46 PM
Tom Kane
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

That's the exact gap I have. I noticed this morning however, after driving about 20 miles to work, that the gap is less noticeable and feels tighter. Maybe the ambient heat causes the housing to expand. When I opened the hood as soon as I parked the car, I checked to make sure nothing was loose or out of the ordinary. I will now update my OP to briefly describe my driving experience so far.
Question, I also have a Diablo tune installed. Plus the AFE cold air intake. Does the Diablo need to be modified.do to the increase airflow.......
Old 06-05-2014, 08:17 AM
VAmikeC7
Racer

Originally Posted by Tom Kane
Question, I also have a Diablo tune installed. Plus the AFE cold air intake. Does the Diablo need to be modified.do to the increase airflow.......
I haven't modified mine, but I am going to drive it about 100 more miles and go with a custom CMR tune from Diablew. They can tweak it based on the datalogging feature that the intune is built in with.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:10 AM
Tom Kane
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

I haven't modified mine, but I am going to drive it about 100 more miles and go with a custom CMR tune from Diablew. They can tweak it based on the datalogging feature that the intune is built in with.
Note, I contacted Diablo and they indicated they have several customers with the Diablo tune and also the aFe and they all worked well. I only have about 100 miles since the install, so I have more miles to put on the car. However, my car runs very well also. That gap you all speak about with the AFE I also had. The firm indicated to me that it was not a problem...Well, I decided to prevent the GAP and tie rapped (2 tie raps) the two clamps together. Hey,no more gap and or movement. I found that pulling on the tube with force, there is some play right at the connection, by the throttle body, since the rubber connector gives a small amount. This I feel is enough free play. I have had Cold air systems from various firms on several cars, all with snug fits and with this small amount free play, there was never an issue. Suggestion, have someone get in the drivers seat while you watch the movement and gap at the location of the FILTOR housing. As the driver punches the throttle , you Will notice the movement instantly, like the tube and FILTOR housing are all sucking together. I felt that this movement sooner or later would wear out something. The tie raps prevented the movement. Just my opinion.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:35 AM
robertf97
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Very nice T-bolt clamps. I wish ECS put those on their intake tube.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:50 AM
Tom Kane
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

I have a automatic. Like you my noise was high with slight throttle movements. Noticed when car was at idle and wife hit the throttle, there was a gap and as throttle was hit, the FILTOR housing all moved and came together. Less nose when they were together.

I installed two tie raps pulling both clamps together with force. The clamps were mounted so as you are looking at the car, they are on the left side.
Zero movement and opening with the tie raps installed. Drove the car and noise seem to be substantially less. Try it and see if it works for you. I noticed that the opening was on the left side , not much on the right side.
You might want to have someone hit the throttle to see which side of the FILTOR housing has the gap. My guess it will be the left side. I only put the tie raps on one side, the clamps side. It prevents any gap.

Get notified of new replies

To AFE Cold Air Intake-Initial Review on Installation, Start Up, Driving Impressions

Old 06-05-2014, 11:38 AM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,072 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

My movement is where the air filter attaches to the air box (part with window), the air is still filtered to the engine even with this gap.
I spoke with Josh at AFE and he said the silicone on filter was very slippery and should dry out over time, they shipped them this way because they were in a rush to get them out to the group buy. He said I can take it apart and clean the silicone surface with alcohol. This should fix the issue of slipping.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:55 AM
0aFe POWER
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yep, and it's designed to have some flex in the kit, same as OE components, to allow for the engine torque. We did hear some of the filters should have been wiped down a bit more to remove some of the polyurethane mold release, which can make them very slick (so they come out of the mold easy).

The T-bolt clamps are useful in this scenario because unlike worm-drive clamps they have equal pressure across the entire clamp, not localized, which helps with the large housing and large filter.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:22 PM
jorsulich
5th Gear

I am wondering if the AFE unit will have to be removed before going back to the dealer because of warranty implications.
Any thoughts?

Quick Reply: AFE Cold Air Intake-Initial Review on Installation, Start Up, Driving Impressions