C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WeaponX ported TB - 12hp increase!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 09:57 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 219 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by Magister Ludi
Thanks Theta,

Throttle response is really all I'm after at this point. Looks like this is a way to get it without jeopardizing my warranty.
If you have a manual, throttle blips are a blast with ported TBs and manifolds.

Reminiscent of older red-head Ferrari V8s. I can't help myself under overpasses... I know I'll eventually get in trouble for that.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:17 PM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Theta
I can't help myself under overpasses... I know I'll eventually get in trouble for that.
Isn't that the truth... I was pulled over after a left turn from a stop for "Improper Start"?! Tires didn't squeal, didn't speed, wasn't changing lanes or driving erratic. I just accelerated too fast/loud and caught the local's attention. He lectured me about it but at a certain point, I was like are you really willing to go into court over this? lol Because I would not be mailing that ticket in.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:35 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 219 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Secret weapon: NPP. "Look, officer, it comes like this - quiet and loud. Thanks for the profiled stop" (I said that to the one that said I was 'awfully young to have that car' - ***...).

Do I sound bitter? Been there a few times already...

But, getting off topic.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:24 AM
VERBOTEN
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Following...... nice improvements.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:33 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Skunkworks
First, sorry if my comment came off as harsh.

Yes, I have seen/owned aftermarket TBs and ported and polished OEM examples and understand its intended function and gains. But you stated “Why on earth they would have kept it like that is beyond me...”, well it serves a function and was designed that way for a reason. Now, no I am not saying just because GM designed it a certain way, it is the best, a simple look at aftermarket parts available is a testament to improvements that can be made.

That TB (LT1) has been around for a while (think 08/09) and undergone some minor tweaks over time, it is generally found on engines with AFM or DOD, the LS9 is an exception (here GM wanted a compact TB and why it is used). Think the preceding sentence may explain why it is that way. I’ll skip the theory thought…

I thought that I had read, back when the LT1 info was first released, that it had a smaller diameter TB than the outgoing LS3.

LS3 is 90mm and LT1 is 87mm. I find it hard to believe that the GM engineers didn't know what they were doing when they designed a NEW TB for the LT1 instead of just grabbing a LS3 TB out of the parts bin and throwing it on the LT1.

Last edited by JoesC5; 05-01-2014 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:33 AM
killascrimp
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Halltech
So Ben, how did Diablo get +20 they reported in another thread? Did you put in the same tune they provide? Seems strange. The Green filter looks like it did what they claim, but +6 HP with two mods and zero increase in torque?

Maybe you should try just using the Diablo with the stock filter; maybe that is how it is designed to work best.
i have the "test3" set up and that is very disappointing that your dyno showed a 6hp increase i have 93 tune with airaid filter and if your results are in fact true than i think Mike from DS should chime in.... Very hard to believe, not saying you are lying but i had ported TB in the past and thought it was a waist but that was on a hemi engine... Please chime in, is it possible you had heat soaked engine from pulls???? something sounds funny to me.... just hard to believe filter w tune and nothing??
Old 05-01-2014, 10:09 AM
Papas02C5
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by killascrimp
i have the "test3" set up and that is very disappointing that your dyno showed a 6hp increase i have 93 tune with airaid filter and if your results are in fact true than i think Mike from DS should chime in.... Very hard to believe, not saying you are lying but i had ported TB in the past and thought it was a waist but that was on a hemi engine... Please chime in, is it possible you had heat soaked engine from pulls???? something sounds funny to me.... just hard to believe filter w tune and nothing??
I have read in another thread that if you do any intake or exhaust mods that you need to get one of Diablo's CMR tuners to upgrade your Diablo Tune (93 Octane) on your Trinity or Intune to take advantage of your mods. I also want to hear what Mike has to say about this one because I am looking into upgrading my intake soon.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:21 PM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I thought that I had read, back when the LT1 info was first released, that it had a smaller diameter TB than the outgoing LS3.

LS3 is 90mm and LT1 is 87mm. I find it hard to believe that the GM engineers didn't know what they were doing when they designed a NEW TB for the LT1 instead of just grabbing a LS3 TB out of the parts bin and throwing it on the LT1.
He's referring to the ZR1 LS9 engine and those, like the CTS V/ZL1 all share an 87mm TB. The LT1 is slightly revised but still shares a lot of the main characteristics.

Originally Posted by killascrimp
I've done tests like this before, nothing new. I have nothing to gain or lose as I offer all of these products. I was actually looking for 450whp with these, so it was a disappointment to me as well. I emailed the logs to Diablo including the base line, diablo pull, tb pull, and intake pull.

Response was bad gas, but I just feel that's impossible. We did the same pull the week before with a completely separate tank of gas on a similarly cool day and no gains were had. I came back with a new tank of gas Shell V Power 93 to be specific and tried to repeat it after loading in the tune. None of the other pulls had any KR.

Here was the week prior's pulls:
Dyno 1 - baseline
Dyno 2 - Green filter
Dyno 3 - Diablo and Green filter

Old 05-01-2014, 01:56 PM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm subscribed! What's the final price after the core swap?
Old 05-01-2014, 05:37 PM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Ben, who did you send the logs and tunes to?
Have you tried the 91 tune to see if that helps to get rid of the KR?

Obviously we have quite a few happy customers running these tunes, and I have seen no knock complaints from any of them thus far.

You guys reading this and getting worried....if you have the tune instaled and you are happy, whats to worry about?
Old 05-01-2014, 05:56 PM
Skunkworks
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JoesC5

You are correct that LT1 is a smaller TB, LS2, LS3 and LS7 all use a 90mm TB (although the feedback and casting changed a little over the years.

This is the one that they pulled out of parts bin (see below)…

I think the Yukon had it first back in 08, but my 10 Tahoe has it, as does the ZR1. As mentioned it is most commonly found on engines w/DoD or now called AFM.

Last edited by Skunkworks; 05-01-2014 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Added pic
Old 05-01-2014, 06:45 PM
snakepit
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Green Filter

Who makes the green filter you are talking about.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:15 PM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Mike@DiabloSport
Ben, who did you send the logs and tunes to?
Have you tried the 91 tune to see if that helps to get rid of the KR?

Obviously we have quite a few happy customers running these tunes, and I have seen no knock complaints from any of them thus far.

You guys reading this and getting worried....if you have the tune instaled and you are happy, whats to worry about?
I emailed them to Johan. Like I said Mike, I've sold your tuners for the V for a long time and that's the reason I grabbed one to play around with on our C7. I never put one on my V because it went big early, but this I was doing some base stuff before we pull the motor next week.

It had 2 diff tanks of gas in it. Two weekends in a row testing with proper cooling before. For whatever reason, the car didn't like the tune. I didn't put the 91 tune in because it had 93 in it. If I get a chance to get it on the rollers before we pull the motor, I will do all three back to back again. It yes a diff tank of gas in it again after heading to the Vette Museum and back.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:24 PM
BarneyZ
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by LS3_E85_Corvette
I'm subscribed! What's the final price after the core swap?
The webpage says "*Core Charge* There will be a $249 refundable core charge for the TB is included in the fee". I don't want to quote his prices for him but based on this language I would interpret this to mean 489-249=240. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:49 PM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by BarneyZ
The webpage says "*Core Charge* There will be a $249 refundable core charge for the TB is included in the fee". I don't want to quote his prices for him but based on this language I would interpret this to mean 489-249=240. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Correct, I had to clean up the language as it was a little more confusing before.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:19 PM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben@WeaponX
I emailed them to Johan. Like I said Mike, I've sold your tuners for the V for a long time and that's the reason I grabbed one to play around with on our C7. I never put one on my V because it went big early, but this I was doing some base stuff before we pull the motor next week.

It had 2 diff tanks of gas in it. Two weekends in a row testing with proper cooling before. For whatever reason, the car didn't like the tune. I didn't put the 91 tune in because it had 93 in it. If I get a chance to get it on the rollers before we pull the motor, I will do all three back to back again. It yes a diff tank of gas in it again after heading to the Vette Museum and back.
Fair enough Ben. The 91 tune runs closer to stock timing tables generally, so it's often a good quick test.

Out of curiosity, since we haven't messed with any modified C7s to this point, do you see the AFR lean out with the filter and tb upgrades as airflow increases?

Thanks
Old 05-02-2014, 07:11 PM
drburns
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my tb today. I couldn't believe how much material there was that could be removed on the stock piece. The install is very simple and for the price, it's a very nice upgrade. It definitely wakes up the throttle response. I'm also running an Air raid filter. If the gains are reproducible, this is the best bang for the buck mod after the core is returned. Now we need a nice affordable smooth intake pipe option that eliminates those baffles/mufflers and the accordion (Hint, hint... Ben) Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To WeaponX ported TB - 12hp increase!

Old 05-02-2014, 11:24 PM
OldJedi
Drifting

Received 614 Likes on 336 Posts

I have a 2012 ZL1 that I have put on a dyno a couple of times. The first time was with a LS3 90mm TB and a RotoFab CAI. It turned 490HP at the rear wheels. 6 months later I ran it with a VMAX ported stock 87 TB and the same RotoFab CAI. It turned 524HP with the ported TB being the only change other than temp and humidity. It certainly convinced me of the value of a ported TB. I will be ordering a 2015 Vette and will have no reservation about putting on a ported TB. There were no codes and an instant seat of the pants feeling of better throttle response.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:08 AM
killascrimp
Racer

Cool I am in.... next mod...
Old 05-03-2014, 03:37 PM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,013 Likes on 365 Posts

I did mine this morning. Took about 3.5 hours. A lot of material had to be removed to get rid of the lip. The florescent lamps in my garage causes the gold tint in the photo. Pretty cool picture with just the iPhone, don't you think?

Did not do a before dyno, so I have no before or after results. Sorry. Counting on 2 rwhp gain. LOL

Last edited by RussM05; 05-03-2014 at 03:42 PM.

Quick Reply: WeaponX ported TB - 12hp increase!