C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY: Adding Z51 Sways to a base C7....>

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 02:17 AM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 219 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by djseto
Did the exhaust have to come off to do this? I was looking at the weaponX brand sway bars but the we page says the exhaust has to come odd and it's like a 5 hr professional job. I just saw this thread that we can use z51 oem bars so I'm pretty excited about this mod. Got an email out to gene on parts and availability. I just need to know what basic tools are required for install as I don't have a lift.
Just added this for you!

How-To: Remove/Replace/Install Rear Sway Bar

How-To: Remove/Replace/Install Front Sway Bar

Last edited by Theta; 07-11-2014 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Added Front
The following users liked this post:
Warpcorps (01-18-2021)
Old 07-11-2014, 03:43 PM
djseto
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you possibly add the Stabilizer Shaft Link replacement section as well as the front removal? I'm looking for the proper torque numbers. Thanks!

CORRECTION: I see the Front Sway bar on the main list of guides. Just the Stabilizer Shaft link if you can!
Old 07-11-2014, 04:10 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 219 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

It's in the first post here unless I'm misunderstanding you.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-t...-sway-bar.html
Old 07-11-2014, 09:58 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Webhair
Installed - handles great. Thanks Gene!
Thank you for your business and the positive feedback!

Shop Our Factory GM Parts Website

Old 07-13-2014, 07:11 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Ordered mine last week, now all I need is a Stingray to install them on. Hopefully SOOOOOON.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:54 PM
mkr1966
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ordered also! Already have the Z51 shocks installed so this will be last step.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:53 PM
djseto
Instructor

First: Apologies to Gene. I decided to order the parts from my local dealer because they could get the parts in 3 days and I'm uber impatient. That being said, I don't know if I have the right bushings or sway bars. I got 2 different sized bushings, part #: 22950837 and 22950841. Earlier in this thread someone posted part # 22950835 and 22950841. So the xx841 part is same, but the xxx837 one is different.

That being said, the bushings that fit the clamps (part #20959449) are the smaller ones (I have no idea which part# is which size) BUT when placed around the rear sway bar, there is a gap. In other words, the bushings don't fit snug around the rear sway bar. The larger bushings, which I believe are for the front definitely don't fit the clamps.

Now, if I take the larger ones and place them around the front sway bar, they fit very snug to the point that the don't quite close all the way around. I assume the front clamp (which we are re-using from the stock front sway bar) would "close" the bushing once it's screwed in. So, if I used all the parts that came with my kit from the dealer, the front sway bar would have snug bushings but the rear would leave a little gap. Having never done a sway bar before, I have no idea how snug or loose the bushings should be around the sway bar.

Now I wished I just ordered the kit from Gene so I know all the parts were right. The sway bar part#s are 20966781 and 22936508. At this point, i can't even return my parts to the dealer because they were a special order. Help please!

Last edited by djseto; 07-16-2014 at 07:17 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:03 PM
Kayir
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Will be ordering the kit from gene ASAP. Thanks to all who posted info and instructions on it as well.

Mike
Old 07-16-2014, 09:44 PM
mkr1966
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think in Gene's kit you get new front clamps also.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:59 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

Thank you for all of the purchases and referrals for us. I certainly appreciate it. We have not had any complaints about our kit! We do not provide any new front clamps as they are not needed.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:02 AM
Modshack
Safety Car

Received 444 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by mkr1966
I think in Gene's kit you get new front clamps also.
No front clamps needed as they're already there...
Old 07-17-2014, 10:39 AM
djseto
Instructor

Looks like the bushings I have are for the FE4 (Magnetic Ride) Suspension which is why they don't quite fit. Save yourself trouble, order the parts from Gene. Lesson learned.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:00 PM
Mike's Sweet 19
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default C7 Z51 mod

Originally Posted by Nyvetteguy007
Did this on my C6...Is on the list of mods to do to my C7
I did this mod on my 2005 C6 but also chnged out the stock shocks for Bilstein HD performance shocks. What a difference. It improved my autocross times especially if the course had many tight turns. It prevented back end slippage.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:20 AM
RedCarrot
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could someone please clarify the requirement of lube for the bushing? The kit I bought from Gene does not come with lube. The GM instruction posted by Theta does not mention lube. The parts guy at caddy dealer (happens to be close to me) told me they don't use lube on bushing in recent models and that they don't even sell it.

For those that have installed the new sway bars, was there lube on the original bar/bushing when you took it off?

Thanks
Old 07-20-2014, 10:46 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

I installed z51 sway bars and shocks and used no lube anywhere. you don't need it.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:06 AM
RedCarrot
Instructor

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
I installed z51 sway bars and shocks and used no lube anywhere. you don't need it.
Thank you! That's what I suspected as well. Using lube on bushing that is not designed for it would likely degrade the bushing material and shorten its lifespan, that's why I wanted to triple check.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:59 AM
Modshack
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
Originally Posted by RedCarrot

For those that have installed the new sway bars, was there lube on the original bar/bushing when you took it off?

Thanks
Thank you! That's what I suspected as well. Using lube on bushing that is not designed for it would likely degrade the bushing material and shorten its lifespan, that's why I wanted to triple check.

Well.....There is a special lube for poly bushings. It is designed for that purpose and will not degrade the bushing. It is true that OEM rubber bushings are rarely, if ever, lubed. However, EVERY aftermarket bar I've installed on numerous platforms and supplied wiyth poly bushings generally comes with poly specific lube. I have never had a squeak or issue using this method. It will reduce Wear and (eventually) noise.. Do it or not, up to you. Personally I think doing it RIGHT includes lubing the bushings.

This is avaialble on Amazon etc.
Energy suspension site:
http://www.energysuspension.com/univ...half-sets.html

Get notified of new replies

To DIY: Adding Z51 Sways to a base C7....>

Old 07-20-2014, 04:18 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

This is why you buy your Z51 Sway Bar set from Gene.

Hopefully I'll have something to bolt them to in the next week or so.

Cheers
Old 07-20-2014, 07:04 PM
RedCarrot
Instructor

Originally Posted by Modshack
Well.....There is a special lube for poly bushings. It is designed for that purpose and will not degrade the bushing. It is true that OEM rubber bushings are rarely, if ever, lubed. However, EVERY aftermarket bar I've installed on numerous platforms and supplied wiyth poly bushings generally comes with poly specific lube. I have never had a squeak or issue using this method. It will reduce Wear and (eventually) noise.. Do it or not, up to you. Personally I think doing it RIGHT includes lubing the bushings.

This is avaialble on Amazon etc.
Energy suspension site:
http://www.energysuspension.com/univ...half-sets.html

Thanks Modshack. So here's another matter that confused the heck out of me even though I have reread earlier posts multiple times: are the bushings supplied by Gene OEM Z51 bushings? If not, are the OEM bushings rubber instead of poly.

I can tell the ones provided by Gene are poly. I have not removed the existing sway bar to see whether OEM bushings are rubber or poly. That info will pretty much dictate whether lube is necessary.

Edit: looking at the packages again, it seems the bushing provided by Gene are very much OEM bushings. So if lube is not used in OEM bushings, then I feel that's the way I would go.

Last edited by RedCarrot; 07-20-2014 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:15 AM
Modshack
Safety Car

I can tell the ones provided by Gene are poly. I have not removed the existing sway bar to see whether OEM bushings are rubber or poly. That info will pretty much dictate whether lube is necessary.

Edit: looking at the packages again, it seems the bushing provided by Gene are very much OEM bushings. So if lube is not used in OEM bushings, then I feel that's the way I would go.

OEM's on my car were rubber. Gene's part numbers are OEM, and likely they are not lubed when installed at the factory. As I mentioned, do it the expedient way , or do it the better way. Your car.

Quick Reply: DIY: Adding Z51 Sways to a base C7....>