C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Sway Bar options?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 08:05 AM
savage
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 89 Posts
Default ok modshack

Originally Posted by Modshack
FWIW, The oem bars ARE hollow.
Front Z51 weighs 7.95 lbs (28mm), Base 7.85 lbs (26.2mm)
Rear Z51 weighs 6.9 lbs (26.5mm) + 2.2 for hardware

Net gain from Base to Z51 is 9.2 lbs.
Z51 Bushings are poly Vs Rubber on the Base, so nice improvement in response.

Just put mine on yesterday and they VERY nicely improved everything all for a mere $300

i like your thinking on this, part #'s please of all i need to do this. or who to call. thank you
Old 04-22-2014, 08:13 AM
Modshack
Safety Car

Received 444 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by savage
i like your thinking on this, part #'s please of all i need to do this. or who to call. thank you
Contact Gene at: http://www.gmpartshouse.com/index.php

He put together the kit, and is doing another now for a friend of mine.
It won't be on his site....Email or call him.. He's a forum vendor.
gene@gmpartshouse.com
Old 04-22-2014, 11:48 AM
savage
Burning Brakes

Default part #'s

FWIW, The oem bars ARE hollow.
Front Z51 weighs 7.95 lbs (28mm), Base 7.85 lbs (26.2mm)
Rear Z51 weighs 6.9 lbs (26.5mm) + 2.2 for hardware

Net gain from Base to Z51 is 9.2 lbs.
Z51 Bushings are poly Vs Rubber on the Base, so nice improvement in response.

Just put mine on yesterday and they VERY nicely improved everything all for a mere $300

i see your pics of new bars( z51) i cant make out your part #'s? i called around ( doing homework) and a 3rd part number for the front and 2 for the rear on c7 popped up ( im guessing z51 mag ride bars are not the same as z51 non mag ride bars) ?? enough of that, im looking for this to be easy, what are the part numbers that you received, are they the stock ones that come with the non mag ride z51? i hope im wrong and mag ride and non mag ride ARE THE SAME, if they are not someone will end up with the wrong ones! im trying for that not to be me.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:48 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

i see your pics of new bars( z51) i cant make out your part #'s? i called around ( doing homework) and a 3rd part number for the front and 2 for the rear on c7 popped up ( im guessing z51 mag ride bars are not the same as z51 non mag ride bars) ?? enough of that, im looking for this to be easy, what are the part numbers that you received, are they the stock ones that come with the non mag ride z51? i hope im wrong and mag ride and non mag ride ARE THE SAME, if they are not someone will end up with the wrong ones! im trying for that not to be me.
Again, contact Gene at the above link and email. He will set you up with exactly what I have. I'm not the parts expert here, He is..
He did me a favor by putting this together, I'm doing him a favor by referring YOU to HIM. He's a loyal forum vendor and has some of the best prices around.
Bar #'s are 20966781 and 22936508

Last edited by Modshack; 04-22-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:32 PM
savage
Burning Brakes

Default thank you for part #'s

Again, contact Gene at the above link and email. He will set you up with exactly what I have. I'm not the parts expert here, He is..
He did me a favor by putting this together, I'm doing him a favor by referring YOU to HIM. He's a loyal forum vendor and has some of the best prices around.
i did order from him today ( just keeping my ducks in a row), i measure twice, cut once.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:34 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 219 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I won't get into the fray on this one, but another +1 for Gene - he'll get you set up with everything you need for the best price out there for OEM parts. I know the urge is strong to look up/buy all the different parts, but just give him a ring and save yourself a lot of time (and money).
Old 04-22-2014, 01:43 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

i did order from him today ( just keeping my ducks in a row), i measure twice, cut once.
Originally Posted by Theta
I won't get into the fray on this one, but another +1 for Gene - he'll get you set up with everything you need for the best price out there for OEM parts. I know the urge is strong to look up/buy all the different parts, but just give him a ring and save yourself a lot of time (and money).

Excellent! Yes Gene's been awesome over the years. He was waiting to hear from me to move forward on this kit. I gave him the "Go". I'll be doing a write-up shortly..
Old 04-22-2014, 01:59 PM
savage
Burning Brakes

Default so your the one

Excellent! Yes Gene's been awesome over the years. He was waiting to hear from me to move forward on this kit. I gave him the "Go". I'll be doing a write-up shortly..
he was talking about this morning, he told me he just got off the phone with someone who tried out this kit/setup. thanks again
Old 04-22-2014, 02:05 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Default Adding Z51 Sways to a Base C7....>>

Those of you from the old C6 days know this was a desirable mod. The Base C7, not having a rear bar stock requires a few more hardware bits, but nothing expensive or tricky. The (Z51) mount points are on the car so this upgrade is very easy. While I'm not the first to do this, I contacted Gene gene@gmpartshouse.com at GM partshouse and requested he put together a kit for me. Gene's pretty much the parts expert here, and he quickly put the list together, I gave him the Go, and a week later I had the parts on my bench. Cost was around $275 + whatever shipping to you is.

Here are the parts:

2 Z51 bars, bushings (now Poly instead of the OEM soft rubber), Droplinks for the rear, 2 clamps, 4 bolts and 4 nuts.

First step is to mount the drop links to the rear bar. Not the Nuts are interference types, so you'll need an 8mm socket to keep the joint from spinning, and an 18mm wrench to tighten the nuts:

It is an easy job to mount the rear bar into position. Use the new clamps, and bushings. Lube before assembing. Attach the drop links to the Lower control arm and you're done. a 20 minute job

Existing mount points:

Bar and droplink positioning:

Clamps on, tighten these and droplinks and Done.

The front is a simple remove and replace but a little more awkward to work on. Remove the top drop link nut:

Remove the clamps and fish out the bar. Lube new bushings and reverse this operation.

This completes the swap.
Everyone likes stats so here they are.

Front stock bar 7.85 lbs, 26.2mm (hollow)
Z51 bar 7.95 lbs, 28mm (hollow)

Rear Z51 6.9 lbs, 26.5mm (hollow) + 2.2 for new hardware.
Rear stock None

Net increase in weight 9.2lbs

Driving impressions: I ordered a base car for a variety of reasons. I did this in 2008 as well and was very happy with how the car turned out with a minimal investment. The C7 does not disappoint. e know it handles great, it wallows a bit, particularly in the rear on undulating turns. The Z51 bar ties everything together nicely. No body roll, tied down feeling in the rear, and a big increase in confidence when pushing the car. No change in overall ride quality, though a little stiffer when traversing uneven surfaces. It is uncanny as you can literally feel all 4 corners of the car working. This I mean in a good way!. Overall this will probably be the best $300 you can spend on your base car if you put any value on handling. Everyone knows how good the Z51 is. Build yourself a Z25.5 for a few bucks, while retaining the ride quality and comfort you currently enjoy. Gene is geared up on these. Shoot him an email to order.

Steve
Old 04-23-2014, 07:15 AM
savage
Burning Brakes

Default found one

Originally Posted by C7pimp
Vendors/Suppliers:

Any input on future availability?
i called a forum vender yesterday for a airad air filter( cca corvette parts) they have wwc bars in stock, i went with the factory GM z51 bars, he at the time as not much information on what he's selling. i have a few big events and cant wait.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:48 AM
BarneyZ
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Z51 Sways + MGW shifter + Rev match = PRICELESS!
Old 05-05-2014, 09:42 AM
savage
Burning Brakes

my parts showed up saturday from gmpartshouse.com, front, rear, ect swaybars kit. when i was done(well under 1 hour) i looked at ride height and said to my friend does my car look higher? HE SAID NO ITS JUST NOT DROUPING ANYMORE! lol, long story short, im very happy
Old 05-05-2014, 10:15 AM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I am guessing that the fellows trying to talk you into Z51 bars (I have them) are assuming you are going to keep the stock tires. Because as you undoubtedly know that BIG bars with out BIG grip tires will really oversteer at speed.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:36 AM
Modshack
Safety Car

my parts showed up saturday from gmpartshouse.com, front, rear, ect swaybars kit. when i was done(well under 1 hour) i looked at ride height and said to my friend does my car look higher? HE SAID NO ITS JUST NOT DROUPING ANYMORE! lol, long story short, im very happy
Swaybars HAVE NOTHING to do with ride height.. Your car was probably not settled after putting it back on the ground.

BTW, spent 400 miles in the Hills of Western NC this weekend pushing the car hard, and the bars made it really work well..
Ran pressures of 32F and 34R. Car was very neutral even when pushed hard through miles if tight turns and switchbacks at speed. Very happy with the changes..

Last edited by Modshack; 05-05-2014 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:56 PM
savage
Burning Brakes

Default your right

Swaybars HAVE NOTHING to do with ride height.. Your car was probably not settled after putting it back on the ground.

BTW, spent 400 miles in the Hills of Western NC this weekend pushing the car hard, and the bars made it really work well..
Ran pressures of 32F and 34R. Car was very neutral even when pushed hard through miles if tight turns and switchbacks at speed. Very happy with the changes..
just put the car on ground, my mind was spinning, could not wait to drive it. im very happy with it.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:08 PM
savage
Burning Brakes

Default yes, yes yes

Originally Posted by jim2092
I am guessing that the fellows trying to talk you into Z51 bars (I have them) are assuming you are going to keep the stock tires. Because as you undoubtedly know that BIG bars with out BIG grip tires will really oversteer at speed.
that was my trouble autocrossing, one soft front bar and NO rear bar with hoosier A6's front and back, it was like being on a ship(not the love boat) i sure that will be gone at my next event, F.Y.I. speaking of big grip tires my hoosier's are 295/35/17 up front- yes i said 17's, they (c5z06 wheels) fit great on the non -z51 c7( i dont know if they fit z51) and my rears are 315/30/18's. they also fit the front without rubbing but stick out more than i like, also i like more tire(to a point) than wheel for auto xing and the 17's have more sidewall than the 18's.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:30 PM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

I have a non-Z51 and am looking at aftermarket sway bar options.

I'm aware of the ease and price of going to Z51 sway bars, but I'm not interested. I'd like to take it a step further to something that would be an upgrade above the Z51 bars.

The only company I'm aware of that makes any posts do far for the C7 is WCC.

Pfadt died so no option there.

Waiting for the Z07 package sway bars might be a good option if they fit, but I do like the added bonus of lighter weight from a tubular sway bar, which OEM never seems to produce.

Is WCC my only option, or will there be more options in the near future?

Coming from the Mustang world, I'm less aware of suspension offerings on vettes.

I'd love some feedback from vendors on future availability of product.

I'd love to hear from anyone with experience using WCC sway bars how well they perform. (Even if it was on a C5 or C6)

Give us a call at LG Motorsports. We have C7 bars in stock that I developed myself on our own C7.

Most of your questions are answered I think but no two bar set ups are created equal.

ours are the easiest to install and we offer adjustable end links as well.

We haven't posted many photos up of our design because we don't want to pass out the recipe for others to copy.

But I can tell you that there is nothing like them for sure.

Call Anthony or me at LG any time. 972-429-1963

thanks

Lou Gigliotti
Old 07-31-2015, 07:53 PM
0aFe POWER
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a non-Z51 and am looking at aftermarket sway bar options.

I'm aware of the ease and price of going to Z51 sway bars, but I'm not interested. I'd like to take it a step further to something that would be an upgrade above the Z51 bars.

The only company I'm aware of that makes any posts do far for the C7 is WCC.

Pfadt died so no option there.

Waiting for the Z07 package sway bars might be a good option if they fit, but I do like the added bonus of lighter weight from a tubular sway bar, which OEM never seems to produce.

Is WCC my only option, or will there be more options in the near future?

Coming from the Mustang world, I'm less aware of suspension offerings on vettes.

I'd love some feedback from vendors on future availability of product.

I'd love to hear from anyone with experience using WCC sway bars how well they perform. (Even if it was on a C5 or C6)
aFe CONTROL/PFADT series is back and better than ever! Including a great variety of suspension applications for different vehicles

http://afepower.com/shop/application...&keyword=PFADT

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Sway Bar options?