C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFE Cold Air Intake-Anyone try it or seen it yet?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 07:27 PM
time2run
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

OK, I bit and ordered the AFE CAI and hoped to get it ASAP however there's no ETA so I guess I'm SOL for now.

I kind of like the window so you can see the filter and how dirty it might be.

Hopefully it won't be too long.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:48 PM
RedCarrot
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice find
Old 04-28-2014, 11:16 AM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi gang (C5 guy here). My dad just bought A C7. I am just beginning to learn about the car. I searched and didn't see a lot of threads about CAI preferences on C7 yet. AFE, LMR, Vararam? He would be looking for best value as all I plan to do to his car is CA and tune. Almost a waste to do a tune without throwing a cold air kit on.

Thanks for any input.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:44 AM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Originally Posted by VAmikeC7
AFE has released their cold air intake. Dyno numbers show an increase of 18 horsepower and 22 ft/lbs tq. Looks like a nice quality product and a really good price.

What are all your thoughts? I am waiting for the pricing on the LMR Intake, but this looks to be a good alternative, especially at this price point, which, IMO, is what it should be as opposed to the $1,000+ price point. Sure, it's not carbon fiber or flashy, but it gets the job done. My hood is never open anyways.
You are wasting your money. CIA's do nothing. After you install them you will have to get your car dynotuned and there goes your warranty. I have installed them on two of my Corvettes and the only thing I noticed was lower gas millage. They do make changing the air filter easier but that is the only advantage. After I put one on my second Corvette and was told by my Chevrolet Dealer that my warranty was voided it was a no brainer to quit using them.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:56 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by robertbrucef
You are wasting your money. CIA's do nothing. After you install them you will have to get your car dynotuned and there goes your warranty. I have installed them on two of my Corvettes and the only thing I noticed was lower gas millage. They do make changing the air filter easier but that is the only advantage. After I put one on my second Corvette and was told by my Chevrolet Dealer that my warranty was voided it was a no brainer to quit using them.
I suppose if the warranty is important and if you are not going to do more mods later. I haven't had a tune that didn't improve gas mileage so that is one of the values. Perhaps the C7 world is different somehow?
Old 04-28-2014, 03:55 PM
Monaco335
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Engine will retard or accelerate timing... to think this will give you 18 hp (like any other cai especially in a non forced induction car) is naive with a stock ecu.

Now lets say you put on an intake, long tube headers, then invested in a tune... that's a different story.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:39 PM
904pizza
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Autoanything

I emailed Autoanything cause I use them alot.. They carry AFE but new part number not in their system yet. Cause you can use cash back sites and get 8% back, so if someone is at $490 x .08, free ship and no tax.. net cost is $450
Old 04-30-2014, 01:56 PM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Still waiting on my Intake. Shouldn't be much longer (1-2 weeks max). Once I have the product I will give everyone a update on my experience.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:16 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,712 Likes on 2,919 Posts

Very cool guys, can't wait to hear your results/impressions! This is on my short list of things to buy for the car.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:05 PM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by robertbrucef
Your comment is completely incorrect other than a tune voiding a warranty.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:25 PM
0aFe POWER
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

More information on this intake is available here: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-t...l-release.html
Old 11-18-2014, 10:48 AM
adam07
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aFe cold air c7 corvette

I will be installing and dynoing an aFe cold air on my 2014 c7 corvette this week. We will truly see what these things do for horsepower. I currently have long tube headers, x-pipe no cats, muffler delete and a tune. Horsepower numbers are 470.4 to the rear wheels. Follow me on YouTube to check results "Adam Ross Corvette"!
Old 11-18-2014, 12:09 PM
Jason 98 TA
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

We've liked them so far!!

Sold a good bit of them with nothing but happy customers
Old 11-18-2014, 12:14 PM
adam07
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA
We've liked them so far!!

Sold a good bit of them with nothing but happy customers
I wish I would have known that you sold them..... I just bought your long tube headers from Baily's Performance and had them installed last week. Made 25rwhp
Old 11-22-2014, 07:14 PM
adam07
3rd Gear

Default aFe cold air c7 corvette

Just pulled my car on the dyno after my aFe cold air intake install and LOST 14hp to the wheels!!! 2014 corvette c7 with long tube headers, x-pipe no cats, muffler delete and a tune yielded 470.4 rwhp and after my aFe cold air install and multiple attempts to re-tune it the best we could get was 456.3 rwhp. These things are junk and $500.00. Go check out my progress on YouTube "Adam Ross Corvette" to see the steps I've taken.
The intake looks great and is made very well but why spend $500 to lose hp.?? aFe claims that they saw best results after 200 miles and a time would not be needed, but without us retuning the car we actually lost 50hp on initial dyno pull!! After tuning we were able to bring the numbers up 35hp. I will be contacting aFe first thing Monday and demanding answers
Old 11-22-2014, 08:40 PM
Seannyc
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by adam07
Just pulled my car on the dyno after my aFe cold air intake install and LOST 14hp to the wheels!!! 2014 corvette c7 with long tube headers, x-pipe no cats, muffler delete and a tune yielded 470.4 rwhp and after my aFe cold air install and multiple attempts to re-tune it the best we could get was 456.3 rwhp. These things are junk and $500.00. Go check out my progress on YouTube "Adam Ross Corvette" to see the steps I've taken.
The intake looks great and is made very well but why spend $500 to lose hp.?? aFe claims that they saw best results after 200 miles and a time would not be needed, but without us retuning the car we actually lost 50hp on initial dyno pull!! After tuning we were able to bring the numbers up 35hp. I will be contacting aFe first thing Monday and demanding answers
Must be something wrong with that intake defect or something
Old 11-22-2014, 09:33 PM
Jason 98 TA

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I'll test one before and after for you guys next week

Get notified of new replies

To AFE Cold Air Intake-Anyone try it or seen it yet?

Old 11-24-2014, 11:18 AM
0aFe POWER
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by adam07
Hi Adam,

Your experience with the aFe intake system is definitely different from the hundreds of other customers who have installed and commented on the performance gains provided from the increased airflow.

We mention the 200 miles as the ECU will continue to adjust and take advantage of the airflow after time, but things can get complicated when you have so many variables in place, including several aftermarket products, aftermarket tuning which can be subjective, as well as what appears to be a different day on the dyno, etc.

We definitely want to work with you, ensure that the product does not have any issues, and can get you the results that you would expect having more airflow available. Your results are not typical.

You mentioned contacting us, that's great, or feel free to PM me and I can make sure to get you in touch with the right people.

-Josh
Old 12-03-2014, 05:44 PM
Sales@Texas-Speed

We dyno'd the intake on our stock c7 and here are our results. These are our results without tuning. Just bolt on and go. Also, we have both the oiled and dry in stock for 399.99 plus shipping, while supplies last.
Attached Images  
Old 12-31-2014, 03:32 PM
drjdchandler
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just had an aFe cold air intake installed on my 2014 c7 automatic convertible. Was already running Lingenfelder headers. Rear wheel 436.9 Torque 450.7. After aFe installation RWHP now 443.6 Torque 458.2. I like.

Quick Reply: AFE Cold Air Intake-Anyone try it or seen it yet?