C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Navigation System

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 01:05 AM
Bryan Wharton
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Default C7 Navigation System

My Z51 3LT C7 is about to arrive here in Australia.

I have heard that the current GM Navigation systems are app. based but know very little about how maps or data are loaded into the system.

Can anyone help with information as to how I can get the Chevrolet My Link Navigation to work "down under" in Australia?
Old 04-15-2014, 11:28 AM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I assume you bought your car from a US dealer? If so, I'd contact a local Chevrolet dealer as they would be able to get the software from GM is such a map exists. If you ordered you car from a local dealer in Aus, then I'd expect it to have the correct maps already installed.

At the moment, map updates are not a user install-able update. As such, you will most certainly be stuck getting it done through a dealer.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:54 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

I thought Australia was all off-road except for the V8 Supercar tracks......???
Old 04-15-2014, 02:40 PM
Bryan Wharton
Instructor

Originally Posted by slief
I assume you bought your car from a US dealer? If so, I'd contact a local Chevrolet dealer as they would be able to get the software from GM is such a map exists. If you ordered you car from a local dealer in Aus, then I'd expect it to have the correct maps already installed.

At the moment, map updates are not a user install-able update. As such, you will most certainly be stuck getting it done through a dealer.
Thanks for the reply.
As strange as it may seem GM does not want Australians to own a Corvette. GM in the USA prohibits it's dealers from selling Corvettes to anyone they suspect will take them to Australia. Then to add insult to injury GM Australia does not sell Corvettes, so if we want to own and drive these great cars we have to get them through "the back door" with no support from GM.

So back to the problem ....... How does a dealer in the US update maps? If I can learn the process then maybe I can find a way for my Corvette to discover that there is such a place as Australia and show it to me on my infotainment screen!
Old 04-15-2014, 02:42 PM
Bryan Wharton
Instructor

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
I thought Australia was all off-road except for the V8 Supercar tracks......???
Apparently that's what General Motors thinks too! They do not want the Corvette here in the land down under.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:19 PM
Down8
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The don't want anything there apparently, given the Holden pull out.

Shame. I was kind if hoping we'd eventually get the Ute here.

-bZj
Old 04-15-2014, 08:05 PM
Bryan Wharton
Instructor

Originally Posted by Down8
The don't want anything there apparently, given the Holden pull out.

Shame. I was kind if hoping we'd eventually get the Ute here.

-bZj
Slight correction there. Holden did not pull out, GM turned the Holden SS into the Impala SS and then shut them down!
Shame about the ute - I think it's dead.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:54 PM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,012 Likes on 365 Posts

I thought all left hand drive cars must be converted to right hand drive before they approved to go on the road. And Corvettes are not manufactured in left hand drive. I don't know why, but probably cost too much in engineering and manufacturing to create a right hand drive model for the number of units they would sell in right hand drive.

That sucks, but its probably the economics of right hand drive.

Also, they want to protect their non-USA dealer from huge USA dealers selling in Australia.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:07 AM
Bryan Wharton
Instructor

Originally Posted by RussM05
I thought all left hand drive cars must be converted to right hand drive before they approved to go on the road. And Corvettes are not manufactured in left hand drive. I don't know why, but probably cost too much in engineering and manufacturing to create a right hand drive model for the number of units they would sell in right hand drive.

That sucks, but its probably the economics of right hand drive.

Also, they want to protect their non-USA dealer from huge USA dealers selling in Australia.
The Australian Government has no problem with left hand drive cars in Australia that are older than 30 years, of which there are thousands! Makes no sense as to why they do not allow new left hand drive cars here as well.

If GM reckon its not economic to produce a right hand drive Corvette why would they ban their dealers from selling them here if the numbers are that small!!

Again, governments and their views make little sense.

So again, is there anyone out there that knows the secret to getting the navigation system working here in Australia???
Old 04-20-2014, 12:03 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I would speak with a local dealer as I mentioned previously. GM Mylink is a common interface between other GM cars. If I am not mistaken, the Mylink update is a separate software update within the car. As such, it's possible that the navigation portion could be updated through a local dealership despite the fact that Corvettes are not being supported there. You never know unless you ask and if it were me, I'd contact several dealers there to see if any might have some insight.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:08 PM
Bryan Wharton
Instructor

Originally Posted by slief
I would speak with a local dealer as I mentioned previously. GM Mylink is a common interface between other GM cars. If I am not mistaken, the Mylink update is a separate software update within the car. As such, it's possible that the navigation portion could be updated through a local dealership despite the fact that Corvettes are not being supported there. You never know unless you ask and if it were me, I'd contact several dealers there to see if any might have some insight.
Thanks for your interest and reply. Yes I will check with some of the local GM Holden dealers as the Mylink system appears to be common to other vehicles under the GM umbrella here in Australia.

Do you know if when data updates are loaded into the Mylink system they are done through the Data Link Connector or via On Star remotely?
Old 04-21-2014, 10:47 PM
Turbo C5
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Bryan Wharton
Thanks for your interest and reply. Yes I will check with some of the local GM Holden dealers as the Mylink system appears to be common to other vehicles under the GM umbrella here in Australia.

Do you know if when data updates are loaded into the Mylink system they are done through the Data Link Connector or via On Star remotely?
Chevy calls there navigation systems "Chevy Mylink", but if you're looking for the app that can be used from your phone, it's called "OnStar RemoteLink" once you load that on your phone you can go to to the navigation tab and find an address on Bing maps, and you can send it from the phone to the in dash nav. Everything is done remotely through OnStar. It's a cool app, although a bit slow.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:10 AM
Bryan Wharton
Instructor

Originally Posted by Turbo C5
Chevy calls there navigation systems "Chevy Mylink", but if you're looking for the app that can be used from your phone, it's called "OnStar RemoteLink" once you load that on your phone you can go to to the navigation tab and find an address on Bing maps, and you can send it from the phone to the in dash nav. Everything is done remotely through OnStar. It's a cool app, although a bit slow.
Thanks so much for that! Ill nick my wives iphone and give it a go. Cheers.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Navigation System

Quick Reply: C7 Navigation System