C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NPP exhaust for non NPP C7, Can this be added by dealer maybe?

Old 04-13-2014, 11:04 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Default NPP exhaust for non NPP C7, Can this be added by dealer maybe?

I have a non NPP C7, but would like to get the NPP installed on my car. When I say installed, I mean FULLY operational. Do not want to remove the V4 switch over, want it integrated into the mode change so the valves can be closed, etc. Is this something that the dealer can add on or is this a factory only "option"? thx

Ant
Old 04-14-2014, 12:25 PM
LT1xL82
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by FYREANT
I have a non NPP C7, but would like to get the NPP installed on my car. When I say installed, I mean FULLY operational. Do not want to remove the V4 switch over, want it integrated into the mode change so the valves can be closed, etc. Is this something that the dealer can add on or is this a factory only "option"? thx

Ant
I have not heard a definitive answer to this. Mechanically I guess yes, electrically maybe, and software maybe. I'll bet it will not be inexpensive IF it can be done, unless you can find a system taken off a wreck or swapped out for an aftermarket system.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:00 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The issue is that the wires for the NPP do not exist on the non NPP car. As of yet, there is not an off the shelf solution to integrate NPP into a non NPP car and have it function through the mode selector. You can add NPP and use a switch of some sort to open and close the valves or purchase a mild to wild setup and control it like we did with the C6 but at the moment, that is your only option. That is until somebody figures out how to wire the NPP into the factory harness.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:05 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 218 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I'm checking on this now, but I don't think the harness running from the fuse box to the rear even contains the correct wires, as I see different part numbers for the different RPO codes.

Very unlikely that this can be a retrofit, sorry to say. It really comes down to if the Tech2 can program the RPO code change to allow the NPP options to become available with the selector.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:29 PM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Actually, speaking to Borla last week the guy said the wire harness is the same for the non NPP cars and the NPP cars. So the wires should be there.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:53 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by Motohead279
Actually, speaking to Borla last week the guy said the wire harness is the same for the non NPP cars and the NPP cars. So the wires should be there.
That may well be - GM is notorious for splitting part numbers just for the sake of RPOs.

Could the OP check the front fuse box and let me know if there are contacts for a fuse to go in fuse slot 41, or perhaps even a fuse in there?
Old 04-14-2014, 08:54 PM
B Stead
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

I would disable the AFM with something like the iTune device. Then get the BB Fusion exhaust. Finally, hookup the aftermarket NPP muffler valves either to a driver's switch or to the BB C6 vacuum device.

Finally, if an aftermarket exhaust system should be popping too much then try a richer air/fuel ratio with something like the HKS AFR device (or with the iTune device). But first try an oiled K&N air filter
Old 04-14-2014, 09:39 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Theta
That may well be - GM is notorious for splitting part numbers just for the sake of RPOs.

Could the OP check the front fuse box and let me know if there are contacts for a fuse to go in fuse slot 41, or perhaps even a fuse in there?
Confirmed slot 41 not only has contacts in it but also a 20A yellow micro fuse :-)

Ant
Old 04-14-2014, 10:29 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by FYREANT
Confirmed slot 41 not only has contacts in it but also a 20A yellow micro fuse :-)

Ant
Good!

Next step will be to look in the area right behind the rear fascia where the NPP valves sit to see if you have harness connectors tucked away in the bundle. I don't think you will, but it's worth a shot - I really don't know if they would wire them all the same, but that would be interesting.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:35 PM
EasyMoney11
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good!

Next step will be to look in the area right behind the rear fascia where the NPP valves sit to see if you have harness connectors tucked away in the bundle. I don't think you will, but it's worth a shot - I really don't know if they would wire them all the same, but that would be interesting.

Any updated status on the wires????
Old 04-21-2014, 05:58 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by EasyMoney11
I don't have access to a lift, and have not had it jacked up again since..
Old 04-21-2014, 07:07 PM
EVL-C8
Pro

Received 242 Likes on 91 Posts

Good!

And Howdy neighbor
Old 04-21-2014, 07:55 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Received 444 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by EasyMoney11
Others have looked. They're apparently NOT there...
Old 04-21-2014, 10:49 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by FRANK121
And Howdy neighbor
Heya!

Originally Posted by Modshack
Others have looked. They're apparently NOT there...
This comes down to becoming a custom job without the wiring. It's also something that comes off of the BCM, as well, so if you don't have that wiring, you're SOL (and have to custom fab a switch and power).

Check to see if the actual wires are in the bundle (just not terminated to a connector) - you can use this for reference for colors, etc.

Attachment 48372716
Old 04-22-2014, 12:12 AM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

You figure it out and I have my NPP exhaust up for grabs with 800 miles on it.

If you DON'T figure it out and want to add some RUMP and you can even open/close them with a remote from the keychain if you were so inclined! Check out the videos!

https://weaponx-c7.myshopify.com/col...s/dmh-cut-outs
Old 04-22-2014, 03:22 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

I have been listening to the NPP open for 1100 miles now!
I also have the actuators ordered I think they were 340 each.

The C7 NPP is not as loud as the C6 ZR1 or Z06 mufflers.
Almost could leave open but I'm adding the ability to close them.
With at least a switch but it seems the old mild to wild should work.
Don't care about the selector on the console.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:20 AM
vetehead
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock'n Blue 08
I have been listening to the NPP open for 1100 miles now!
I also have the actuators ordered I think they were 340 each.

The C7 NPP is not as loud as the C6 ZR1 or Z06 mufflers.
Almost could leave open but I'm adding the ability to close them.
With at least a switch but it seems the old mild to wild should work.
Don't care about the selector on the console.
Hopefully the harness will be there and all it would take is to activate the bcm with the tech 2 tool! Keep us posted....I'm sure a lot of people with non npp cars will like to do this mod. Just one question...all the npp for sale pics I'm seeing are without the electric valves?? Are they leaving them laying up and in just as not to throw a code??.....good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To NPP exhaust for non NPP C7, Can this be added by dealer maybe?

Old 04-22-2014, 01:51 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by vetehead
Hopefully the harness will be there and all it would take is to activate the bcm with the tech 2 tool! Keep us posted....I'm sure a lot of people with non npp cars will like to do this mod. Just one question...all the npp for sale pics I'm seeing are without the electric valves?? Are they leaving them laying up and in just as not to throw a code??.....good luck!
Good question. Noticed the same thing myself with the for sale NPPs..
Old 04-22-2014, 05:13 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by vetehead
Some aftermarket pipes reuse the actuator's. My Npp came with out them!
Old 04-22-2014, 05:26 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Looks like a simple thing to wire up, one wire (pin 34 to the BCM that grounds the actuators), one power wire to the fuse box for +12v and a ground. Too bad the actuators arent cheap, seems most people keep theirs for the new exhaust.

If one was bored they could put an ohmeter between pin 34 on the BCM and ground and see if there is any change when you turn the sound mangement on and off on a non NPP car.

Heya!

This comes down to becoming a custom job without the wiring. It's also something that comes off of the BCM, as well, so if you don't have that wiring, you're SOL (and have to custom fab a switch and power).

Check to see if the actual wires are in the bundle (just not terminated to a connector) - you can use this for reference for colors, etc.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NPP exhaust for non NPP C7, Can this be added by dealer maybe?