C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*WARNING* to ALL BOOSTED C7s

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 11:10 PM
yonson
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Motohead279
They are still bleeding...
These things are the cure all to assembling braided lines without the bleeding!

http://www.koultools.com/
Old 04-08-2014, 11:22 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 219 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by yonson
These things are the cure all to assembling braided lines without the bleeding!

http://www.koultools.com/
Son. Of. A. Bitch.

I spent hours with two wrenches and had to repaint $75 of hose ends from the wrenches slipping under high torque.

Wish I had known about something like this... Thanks for sharing - I'll know for next time.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:33 PM
yonson
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They are awesome, you don't have to worry about taping them, then cutting them, then assembling them ASAP in fear of getting a couple errant wires. You can take a hose that has the end all frizzy and install it into a fitting with ease and NO blood! I wish someone had made them years ago...
Old 04-09-2014, 04:05 AM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Here's a quick look at the suggested fix that I put on my LMR breather tonight.

Note the top vac hose is left off because I need to grab a step-down adapter from the store tomorrow (but that will run to the BOV).

Name:  BFpUMNd.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  345.3 KB

Name:  rEhFOj0.jpg
Size:  367.9 KB

Name:  h87ZlXB.jpg
Size:  434.5 KB

Last edited by Theta; 04-09-2014 at 04:09 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:51 AM
Swath
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Theta
Here's a quick look at the suggested fix that I put on my LMR breather tonight. Note the top vac hose is left off because I need to grab a step-down adapter from the store tomorrow (but that will run to the BOV).
So does this replicate what East Texas came up with last night to solve the seal failure issue?

Can you post the parts needed from Jegs for the new lines (I already ordered the others you suggested).
Old 04-09-2014, 08:21 AM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Looks like everything is just running into your breather box? No check valves?
Old 04-09-2014, 11:15 AM
0East Tx Muscle Cars
Former Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

im about to do a little write up of what all was found give me a few mins
Old 04-09-2014, 11:25 AM
0East Tx Muscle Cars
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
Looks like everything is just running into your breather box? No check valves?
Yes thats how the LMR can works and has breathers venting to the air
Old 04-09-2014, 11:34 AM
0East Tx Muscle Cars
Former Vendor

here is what we found

We pulled a Stick car onto the dyno and it had 7-8 psi of boost on this car. 5 pulls in blew the front seal. At this point we KNEW that there HAD to be pressure getting into the crankcase that was not getting out properly.

So first we tested the Port at the valley pan. We hooked a PSI gauge into it and with the Vent system all in place like it was suppose to be we found that by 4000RPM there was already 3 PSI building into the case. I let off at that time so we wouldn't pop another seal. This was with all the other stuff we found already fixed also. the stock check valve replaced at the valley with a good one, the check ***** removed also on both valve covers, yet it still did it. We then removed the Two 5/8 quick connects off the valve covers and did a pull. the PSI didnt build at this point. So we stepped back and did one thing at a time. First did a pull with the whole system stock but with one of the 5/8 quick connect off, the one on the drivers side of the car. With just this one venting the PSI at 4000 was .5 ish and at redline was only 2-3PSI and the seals held. So we now know WHY the seal pop out and oil leaks. So we are just redesigning the vent system so this will still be a easy plug and play with no catch cans and no fancy stuff. We almost done with the first car now. The main issue is he 5/8-3/8 90* is a BIG restriction and will not breath enough for a boosted car. Once we did this the car also pickup 15 RWHP! :-) which is also a plus! Unlike "other" shop we will share what we find and are glad to help out everyone and not hide our findings and make you buy our stuff to fix a simple issue.

Matt@FPS, Andy@ A&A, and Doug all were wanting the same easy fix so we could offer a simple kit still with no extra parts needed and it looks like this will be the fix for all of it. All these guys have a ton of time with me on the Phone and trouble shooting also into this! Now lets all get to Boosting c7s now trouble free on EVERYONE'S cars!!!
Old 04-09-2014, 11:35 AM
0East Tx Muscle Cars
Former Vendor

One other thing we did remove the U shade stock line from the intake to the valley. and just vent the valley now to the intake tube. The stock check valve did hold good on either car we tested here. We now just use the intake part to just run the BOV. The reason we wanted to figure this out without putting a big can on the car is, one cost, and two the smell from the vents some people don't like and this way the system is still all contained and no smell will get into the inside of the car
Old 04-09-2014, 11:53 AM
jspridge
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by East Tx Muscle Cars
here is what we found

We pulled a Stick car onto the dyno and it had 7-8 psi of boost on this car. 5 pulls in blew the front seal. At this point we KNEW that there HAD to be pressure getting into the crankcase that was not getting out properly.

So first we tested the Port at the valley pan. We hooked a PSI gauge into it and with the Vent system all in place like it was suppose to be we found that by 4000RPM there was already 3 PSI building into the case. I let off at that time so we wouldn't pop another seal. This was with all the other stuff we found already fixed also. the stock check valve replaced at the valley with a good one, the check ***** removed also on both valve covers, yet it still did it. We then removed the Two 5/8 quick connects off the valve covers and did a pull. the PSI didnt build at this point. So we stepped back and did one thing at a time. First did a pull with the whole system stock but with one of the 5/8 quick connect off, the one on the drivers side of the car. With just this one venting the PSI at 4000 was .5 ish and at redline was only 2-3PSI and the seals held. So we now know WHY the seal pop out and oil leaks. So we are just redesigning the vent system so this will still be a easy plug and play with no catch cans and no fancy stuff. We almost done with the first car now. The main issue is he 5/8-3/8 90* is a BIG restriction and will not breath enough for a boosted car. Once we did this the car also pickup 15 RWHP! :-) which is also a plus! Unlike "other" shop we will share what we find and are glad to help out everyone and not hide our findings and make you buy our stuff to fix a simple issue.

Matt@FPS, Andy@ A&A, and Doug all were wanting the same easy fix so we could offer a simple kit still with no extra parts needed and it looks like this will be the fix for all of it. All these guys have a ton of time with me on the Phone and trouble shooting also into this! Now lets all get to Boosting c7s now trouble free on EVERYONE'S cars!!!
That's an impressive discovery, and a great example of what can be accomplished when you guys get together to solve a problem. Will you be offering a kit for a DIY'er to make these changes at home?
Old 04-09-2014, 12:08 PM
0East Tx Muscle Cars
Former Vendor

Well i know ECS and A&A are both going to have a fix that will come with there kits. So no real point in me building everything needed as they will have them im sure soon! in the mean time I will post up pictures later today or tomorrow of the parts and pieces you will need to do this. It will cost VERY LITTLE to do it at home. some 5/8 hose and some 5/8 nipples and a few other little things. It will take a little time but not to much $$$ :-)

We not out to hide our findings, just here to help the whole corvette community out!

If anyone has any questions they can always PM me or email me and ill be more than happy to help them out, now back out to the dyno to finish up this first breather system and get a dyno Vid up of the car!

Last edited by East Tx Muscle Cars; 04-09-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:38 PM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I have -6AN hose run on my PCV system, is that large enough?
Old 04-09-2014, 12:38 PM
robertf97
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great find ETMC, thanks for posting! Makes me want to buy something from you!
Old 04-09-2014, 01:23 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,090 Likes on 658 Posts

Kudo's to FSP & ETMC !!!

One thing I didn't see mentioned here is Matt had told me the center valley port flowed a good amount of breathing vapor during dyno pulls, so I do not think capping it is in the best interest.

Great work again guys, thanks for sharing!
Old 04-09-2014, 01:40 PM
Motohead279
Drifting

Well sounds like I am already good to go!
Old 04-09-2014, 01:55 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
Kudo's to FSP & ETMC !!!

One thing I didn't see mentioned here is Matt had told me the center valley port flowed a good amount of breathing vapor during dyno pulls, so I do not think capping it is in the best interest.

Great work again guys, thanks for sharing!
Thanks to Matt & ETMC! Excellent troubleshooting. And thanks to Doug, as well, for taking the time to figure out the check valves, etc. This has been one big group discovery, and you should all be proud of that.

I can confirm that the valley flows quite a bit of vapor, as I was testing that the other day while replacing the manifold, etc. and it certainly spits when you open up the throttle.

Get notified of new replies

To *WARNING* to ALL BOOSTED C7s

Old 04-09-2014, 01:58 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by Swath
So does this replicate what East Texas came up with last night to solve the seal failure issue?

Can you post the parts needed from Jegs for the new lines (I already ordered the others you suggested).
Correct - this was a quick method of re-using the 45-degree -6AN hose connector and hose that came with the kit to slap it onto the valley port.

Took all of 5 minutes to cut to size and route. As soon as ETMC said breather filter, that was a no-brainer - ran it directly back. Nice to have that extra bung, so no more modification. I've already spent enough on that little box.

To make it match, I need to buy another 45-degree hose bard and a section of Pro 350 hose... Damn the cost of uniformity!
Old 04-09-2014, 02:09 PM
Motohead279
Drifting

I have some extra steel braided line you can use, I'll even send some band aids with it .
Old 04-09-2014, 02:20 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

That's very kind of you. Unfortunately, it wouldn't match (and if I've already spent this much to match, you know how that goes...)

I have some extra (a lot of it) -10AN black braided line if you need it, but it might be a little big for your setup.

Quick Reply: *WARNING* to ALL BOOSTED C7s