C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger Door uneven gap/spacing

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 11:18 PM
ahesq
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger Door uneven gap/spacing

Check out and measure your driver's door gaps and compare to your passenger's door.

My driver's door gaps (the space/gap between the door edge and the fender) are an even 3/16 inch for both the front hinge and back latch. PERFECT!

On the other hand, my passenger door has a wide gap at the front hinge (more than a 1/4 inch), and almost no gap at all the rear edge.

I noticed this on virtually all dealer inventory and internet photos as well. From photos, it is more noticeable in lighter colors.

I am having my passenger door adjusted 1/16 inch forward to make it even all around, but in so doing, the rear striker may need to have a spacer inserted to latch properly.

Weird.

Anyone else notice this issue?
Old 03-26-2014, 12:37 PM
C7Z51_2014
Instructor

How difficult is it to make a door adjustment?
Old 03-26-2014, 01:55 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 218 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

You're not the only one to notice the 'issue' - there was an advisory that went out to dealers about this. They don't want this one getting out, though.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:16 PM
Translator
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Theta
You're not the only one to notice the 'issue' - there was an advisory that went out to dealers about this. They don't want this one getting out, though.
I just do NOT understand why they cannot or choose not to properly align/adjust these body panels/gaps properly from the get go when these cars are being assembled at the factory? The same goes for the paint process/quality that so many are complaining about.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:17 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

The document outlines the procedure, and let's say it's... involved.

That would explain why they wouldn't want to do it to all of them - only for the ones that complain. Fairly logical from a business standpoint, but still.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:27 PM
Translator
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Theta
The document outlines the procedure, and let's say it's... involved.

That would explain why they wouldn't want to do it to all of them - only for the ones that complain. Fairly logical from a business standpoint, but still.
I can understand that the procedure may be difficult AFTER the car is built; but it should not be difficult while the car is in the process of being assembled at the factory.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:52 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

My gap is OK, but on the lower front of the passenger door is quite a but 'sunk in' compared to the lower body line. I could adjust the door out on the bottom but my guess is it will catch on the fender towards the middle when opening if I do.

I'm not even going to bother with it, seen a few C7s that were worse than mine as far as that goes.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:14 AM
ahesq
Instructor

Dealer adjusted the door today. Took all of 30 minutes.

Now it is perfect.

Hard to believe even with mass production line, most passenger doors I've seen were exactly like mine.

While I was waiting, I toured the dealer's lot which had about 15 C-7's on it.

Most of them needed my adjustment.

Keep in mind - This is not a cost issue, but it is a HUGH P.R. issue with GM's build quality.

I would never let a 100% cost free fix create such a caustic reputation on my company product's build quality.

Software issues with outside vendors in first year builds? I can understand that.

But something as simple and as stupid as this?

Hope someone at GM is listening.

Thanks for your message.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:19 AM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

30 minutes? Wow, something must have changed.

The initial advisory said to contact regional for approval, as it listed 7.5 shop hours.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:25 AM
ahesq
Instructor

4 bolts, move the door forward 1/16 of an inch, and adjust or insert spacers in striker as needed.

If my car had not been under warranty, I would have done it myself.

Simple as that.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:28 AM
ahesq
Instructor

I would love to read this "Monday morning after a long Sunday Advisory" sent out to dealers.

Anyone able to post it?
Old 03-27-2014, 12:29 AM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Nice! Now I'm absolutely going to get this taken care of. They weren't *completely* detailing the fix (they gave an overview, but it involved a lot of dis-assembly references), but that 7.5 hours made me think twice.

Glad you got it fixed (and let us know the results)!

Last edited by Theta; 03-27-2014 at 12:35 AM.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:30 AM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by ahesq
I would love to read this "Monday morning after a long Sunday Advisory" sent out to dealers.

Anyone able to post it?
They get pretty touchy about the advisories... Thankfully they let us get away with posting a lot of tech bulletins, but they do usually C&D you on advisories. I'll try to get you the document #.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:06 AM
Diesel88
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

It's interesting that you posted this topic because I was reading my special edition Motor Trend Corvette magazine again. Inside there is a topic called assembly/plant tour. They show a picture of a GM woman who works in the plant using something to measure the door gaps. Below the picture it reads ( Panels are carefully gapped so a $52,000 Corvette looks far more expensive ). Guess not, also they have another picture they call the zebra room. It says, ( the zebra room uses multiple lights to reveal any imperfections in the paint. It's a very interesting magazine to read and a shame on how they let a lot of cars leave with all these issues but talk about how important it is that every car leaves the factory Perfect. If you didn't buy this magazine I would if you have the chance. Just talks about how the stingrays were born till now.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:27 AM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by Diesel88
They show a picture of a GM woman who works in the plant using something to measure the door gaps. Below the picture it reads ( Panels are carefully gapped so a $52,000 Corvette looks far more expensive ).
Now that's just sad that they would point out something so minuscule that turns out to actually be a problem.

"Look at the awesome vanity mirrors that we custom-machine from diamonds and the finest silver!"...

Meanwhile in a different room...

"Hey, nobody say anything, but we installed fun house mirrors by mistake. The customer won't notice, right?"

Old 03-27-2014, 01:46 AM
Diesel88
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Very true Theta. Very interesting that they would point out something so small and it's turning out to be very big. I also found the zebra room part interesting because they show the picture of a Stingray being looked at very carefully in that room by 3 employees but you hear of all the paint issues from small to big. Maybe it's a every other car or every third car or worse that gets the special treatment. Btw been following your SC thread, awesome job with pics and the write ups.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:54 AM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

You may be close to the actual truth there - they may just sample from the pool rather than do each one. Since they've ramped up production, they may not be able to support more screening than 10-20% (and even that would be a lot).

Unfortunately for that article, the very quote of "... so a $52,000 Corvette looks far more expensive..." sort of becomes its own undoing. Meanwhile, every Ferrari is put through a paint polish process which at the end uses a giant roller of (no BS) ostrich feathers and then passed to a team of inspectors. Point being, there has to be a middle ground.

As far as the paint, though... GM has always had peel and gel issues across 'Vettes, GTOs, etc.

Also, thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Passenger Door uneven gap/spacing

Old 03-27-2014, 07:51 AM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

sounds like one of the right door installers needs retraining. have not heard of a blue door on a red car yet, that is good.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:30 PM
C7Z51_2014
Instructor

Originally Posted by ahesq
4 bolts, move the door forward 1/16 of an inch, and adjust or insert spacers in striker as needed.

If my car had not been under warranty, I would have done it myself.

Simple as that.

My door rubs occasionally on the front edge (driver side) is there a "how to" make the adjustment myself?
Old 03-27-2014, 06:13 PM
ahesq
Instructor

Originally Posted by C7Z51_2014
My door rubs occasionally on the front edge (driver side) is there a "how to" make the adjustment myself?

Same 4 hinge bolts, but move the door back a bit.

Honestly, I would take it to the dealer though since the window and striker also will need to be aligned properly.

Last edited by ahesq; 03-27-2014 at 08:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Passenger Door uneven gap/spacing