C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 03:29 PM
tnspd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leak

Ok, I put the wifes C7 on my lift yesterday and noticed a drop of fluid starting to form under the right front side of the engine. The oil looked green in color so I know it was not antifreeze because it is orange. What could be leaking that has a green color fluid in it? I could not tell where the fluid was coming from. It is pretty cramped space under there. There has been no drops on the floor of the garage either.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:36 PM
lgodom
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

I believe some members have reported greenish oil, maybe due to a dye. So, it could be engine oil if it feels like it.

Your user name looks familiar. Did you happen to trade in a 5th gen Camaro for the C7?
Old 03-17-2014, 03:44 PM
tnspd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lgodom
I believe some members have reported greenish oil, maybe due to a dye. So, it could be engine oil if it feels like it.

Your user name looks familiar. Did you happen to trade in a 5th gen Camaro for the C7?
No, I have a 5th Gen Camaro SS, a 5th Gen ZL1 Camaro , and this C7.

Why would die be in my oil. I have not had it to the Dealer to put die in it? Maybe it is residual oil with die in it from the factory when they checked it or something?
Old 03-17-2014, 03:49 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 219 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Green, as I learned yesterday, is the dye they put in the AC system to check for leaks.

How do I know? I unbolted the wrong bolt and had some r134a spray out at me. Green dye bubbled and dripped.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:19 AM
tnspd
Intermediate

So it could possibly be an AC fluid leak?
Old 03-18-2014, 10:00 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

GM also uses green thread sealant sometimes. The green is designed to seep into threads after a bolt is tightened I believe. FWIW I bought a new LS2 water pump for a race car build and the heater core ports had excess green goo on them from where they were pressed into the water pump housing. Had to clean it off before install. It was like green sealant. Might be something like that.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:20 AM
tnspd
Intermediate

I'll clean it all up and keep an eye on it to see if it returns. If it does I'll take it to the dealer I guess.

I just like to know what the problem is before I take anything to the dealer. That way I know what the dealer is suppose to be doing to fix the problem. I have seen too many dealers mechanics just guess at what the problem is by changing parts until the problem is fixed.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:03 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by travisnd
GM also uses green thread sealant sometimes. The green is designed to seep into threads after a bolt is tightened I believe. FWIW I bought a new LS2 water pump for a race car build and the heater core ports had excess green goo on them from where they were pressed into the water pump housing. Had to clean it off before install. It was like green sealant. Might be something like that.
It's the same as Loctite Green. It's a slow-acting penetrant.

That will show up as a dark green color, while the AC dye will be a lime green color.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:15 PM
LT1xL82
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by tnspd
I'll clean it all up and keep an eye on it to see if it returns. .
You might want to drag your feet cleaning it up. If it is green Loctite may still "wick" its way into threads. The stuff works via capillary effect and it can take a fair amount of time.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:59 PM
tnspd
Intermediate

This fluid is a lime green color so it must be AC fluid. It is very thin feeling, not thick at all.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:09 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Bingo - AC fluid. If it's leaking up toward the nose, check the two bolts holding the pressure hoses to the condenser. If it's farther back, swing it by the dealer.

Now you can tell them what it is so they don't have to hunt or say 'we don't know'.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:43 PM
SpaceCadet
Cruising

Agreed prob. from AC system...

Green Loctite is for permanent applications, not threads
Old 03-21-2014, 09:04 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by SpaceCadet
Agreed prob. from AC system...

Green Loctite is for permanent applications, not threads
It's great to use on seized threads, as I've found out several times before with seized turbocharger studs. Back a nut onto them, Green Loctite, wait 24 hours, pop them out.

Also, it never occurred to me to mention it, but even Green Loctite cures fully within 24-36 hours, the the drip/drop would be either gooey or solid.

So AC it is.

Get notified of new replies

To Leak

Quick Reply: Leak