C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LMR Breather Can Unboxing / Install Notes Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 10:41 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 219 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
What's the difference between this and a catch can?
Have I mentioned that I hate the mobile posting option for this site?

Let's try that again:

Catch can sits in line with the normal PCV system and catches blow-by gases. Depending on the quality of the construction and element, they can range from performing very poor (eBay crap) to taking care of all oil/blow-by issues entirely (and range everywhere in between).

What catch cans can't do is relieve the crank case pressure, which is already proving to be an issue on some FI cars. There's no pattern yet, but there have been several that have blown out seals. This was an expensive (there's no arguing that) option, but I think in the long term it will be worth the expense.

I have no idea if it works, but I'm willing to bet LMR knows what they're doing.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:49 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Theta
Have I mentioned that I hate the mobile posting option for this site?

Let's try that again:

Catch can sits in line with the normal PCV system and catches blow-by gases. Depending on the quality of the construction and element, they can range from performing very poor (eBay crap) to taking care of all oil/blow-by issues entirely (and range everywhere in between).

What catch cans can't do is relieve the crank case pressure, which is already proving to be an issue on some FI cars. There's no pattern yet, but there have been several that have blown out seals. This was an expensive (there's no arguing that) option, but I think in the long term it will be worth the expense.

I have no idea if it works, but I'm willing to bet LMR knows what they're doing.
Gotcha. So couldn't someone just put a filter on each valve cover and accomplish the same thing?
Old 03-26-2014, 11:01 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Actually, that was mentioned at one point, and I think that would essentially work the same. You could do that, but you'd have one hell of a mess on your hands! I've seen it done on Coyotes, etc. Essentially this is a remote breather like they use (only using 1 box instead of 2 cans).

You'd also want to vent or bypass the other lines if you went that route.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:12 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Actually, that was mentioned at one point, and I think that would essentially work the same. You could do that, but you'd have one hell of a mess on your hands! I've seen it done on Coyotes, etc. Essentially this is a remote breather like they use (only using 1 box instead of 2 cans).

You'd also want to vent or bypass the other lines if you went that route.
So a catch can with two ports in would work? There's no special check valves or anything needed?

As beautiful as the LMR box is, it's too rich for my blood!
Old 03-26-2014, 11:16 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

For supercharged cars with catch cans, I believe check valves are involved.

I don't want to stray too far off topic from the LMR box, though.

VNAMVET has an excellent thread put together on a N/A catch can install. I think the difference with FI is the need for check valves.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:19 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

For supercharged cars with catch cans, I believe check valves are involved.

I don't want to stray too far off topic from the LMR box, though.

VNAMVET has an excellent thread put together on a N/A catch can install. I think the difference with FI is the need for check valves.
So the LMR box has check valves?
Old 03-26-2014, 11:21 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by Skunkworks
You’ll be fine with powder coating, what it does fill in will actually make it look better. It’s not like they will deposit 1/8 of an inch. Look at your supercharger volute, for reference on a slight wrinkle/textured finish.

I wouldn’t powder coat an intercooler as it will inhibit thermal transfer. On the other hand, anodizing microscopically etches surface, which some believe increases thermal transfer due to additional surface area and turbulence – this was my reasoning along with corrosion resistance. Also quality core manufacturers like Bell do a mild natural anodize after oven brazing.

Oh, I’d ask for a semi-gloss lightly textured finish, hides imperfections if powder coating.

Good info - thanks very much!!
Old 03-26-2014, 11:24 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
So the LMR box has check valves?
No, since this is a breather, it doesn't require check valves. This replaces the entire PCV system, relieving almost all (if not all) crank case pressure.

The check valves on a catch can exist (I believe, anyway) to prevent boost from going to the wrong place and increasing the pressure (causing seals to blow, etc).

Reid can explain it far better than I can.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:58 PM
Late Model Racecraft
Supporting Vendor

Received 629 Likes on 327 Posts

A catch can plumbed in line with the factory pcv system would need check valves due to it being connected to the factory intake piping. these check valves would prevent you from "boosting" the crank case by introducing positive pressure into it. Our system uses a catch can/breather setup. This allows it to still catch any oil droplets that might come out of the valve covers etc but also allowing them to breathe off any positive pressure in the crank case. Since no engine seals up 100% when you introduce say 8psi of boost into a cylinder a small amount of that will pass the rings and go into the crankcase. This is the pressure you want to relieve. When this happens the factory PCV system cant relieve it fast enough and If you dont relieve it, it could build up and push a seal out. i have heard numerous stories about it already on anything from a stock car with a Pfadt bolt on supercharger kit to a one off supercharger kit with a fairly large head unit.

-Reid
Current C7 World Record Holder 7.55 @ 184 MPH

Quickest and Fastest GEN5 LT Powered Vehicle
LMR1200HP Supercharged C7 8.84 @ 160
LMR1200HP Twin Turbo C7 9.35@155mph-2014
2 TIME OUTLAW DRAG RADIAL LSX CHAMPION 2008/2010
9.47 ZR1 Corvette-2009
LATE MODEL RACECRAFT
713-466-9900
LateModelRacecraft.com

Too many PMs, please call or email instead, thanks!
Old 03-27-2014, 06:39 PM
Dameian
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Late Model Racecraft
A catch can plumbed in line with the factory pcv system would need check valves due to it being connected to the factory intake piping. these check valves would prevent you from "boosting" the crank case by introducing positive pressure into it. Our system uses a catch can/breather setup. This allows it to still catch any oil droplets that might come out of the valve covers etc but also allowing them to breathe off any positive pressure in the crank case. Since no engine seals up 100% when you introduce say 8psi of boost into a cylinder a small amount of that will pass the rings and go into the crankcase. This is the pressure you want to relieve. When this happens the factory PCV system cant relieve it fast enough and If you dont relieve it, it could build up and push a seal out. i have heard numerous stories about it already on anything from a stock car with a Pfadt bolt on supercharger kit to a one off supercharger kit with a fairly large head unit.

-Reid
Yep!!I pushed out a front crank seal on my car!! A bitch to fix! Ordered a LMR breather setup INSTANTLY!!!
Old 03-27-2014, 07:06 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Damn - sorry to hear that. When I ordered this (and Reid can probably tell you), I was kind of put off by the high cost because none of us on the forums were really sure it was necessary. With the three or four cases of blown seals that have already happened in the last month month, I'm glad to have picked one up. And I'm admittedly pretty cheap.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:31 AM
OddJob1971
Racer

St Jude Donor '14

Alright, as promised, here is an optional list for general dress-up.

You can see that the kit comes with Pro 350 braided -10AN hose, but only includes standard Gates rubber hose for the -6AN connections. As LMR posted earlier, the 45-degree -10AN hose ends are now standard, so they have been left off of this list.

On the other end, you will need a T or Y adapter to split between the oil reservoir and the passenger-side rocker PCV fitting - you could use a cheap 3/8" T adapter and use clamps, etc. - I did that at first, but I wanted it to be dressier, as it's a nice showpiece.

For reference, this is for a supercharged C7, not turbocharged. These are all Jegs part numbers:

555-110312 | -6AN Flare Cap | $4.69 | Qty: 1

361-AT982406 | -6AN AnoTuff T Fitting | $13.99 | Qty: 1

555-110001 | -6AN Straight Hose End | $5.99 | Qty: 3

555-103301 | #6 Hose Finisher | $5.99 | Qty: 2

555-110011 | -6AN 45-Degree Hose End | $15.99 | Qty: 1

555-110911 | ProFlo 350 Braided Hose -6AN 6-Foot | $31.99 | Qty: 1

Total part cost is $96.61 shipped from Jegs. Up to you on the value side of things, but the improvement in looks, alone, was enough to spend the extra money.

Keep in mind that even if you don't go this route, you will need to source a T-line and hose or fuel clamps.

And finally, a diagrammed look at these parts...

Theta, thanks for putting this list together. My LMR can will be here today so I'm gonna order up these parts you suggested. Appreciate all the effort.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:38 AM
OddJob1971
Racer

St Jude Donor '14

Theta, do you have any pictures of the overall routing for hooking this up to the system?
Old 03-28-2014, 01:59 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by OddJob1971
Theta, thanks for putting this list together. My LMR can will be here today so I'm gonna order up these parts you suggested. Appreciate all the effort.
Awesome! I'm glad to hear this helped - I wasn't sure anybody would end up using the info.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:59 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by OddJob1971
Theta, do you have any pictures of the overall routing for hooking this up to the system?
Absolutely - I will take some pics for you today!
Old 03-28-2014, 04:50 PM
Swath
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome! I'm glad to hear this helped - I wasn't sure anybody would end up using the info.
LOL I'm placing my order tonight as well.

Makes it so much easier once one of us has figured it out and done all the homework.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:56 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Very cool! Thanks for letting me know, guys!

On another note, I dropped my breather off a few hours ago to have it powder coated in a semi-gloss wrinkle black (same as the Paxton black). Cost me $75 and will be done in two days (so Tuesday).

Seemed like a fair price since they had to mask off some of the barbs and plug the holes. Probably a little high, but what do I know? Anybody think that I got screwed on that, or is that pretty normal?

Last edited by Theta; 03-29-2014 at 05:00 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To LMR Breather Can Unboxing / Install Notes Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 11:42 PM
stangkilrproductions
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Definitely buying one of these when I send my car to Pro-Charger for the F1.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:16 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Got the breather back from the powder coater today, and I think it turned out really nice. Let me know what you think!

The 'blank' areas were taped for threading, and solid sealing of the filters if the powder had a problem with the silicone seal. All on-purpose and covered as you see!

Name:  dlvB9va.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  178.4 KB

Name:  oOsYdDI.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  179.5 KB

Name:  8d4e99g.jpg
Size:  213.0 KB

Attachment 48373079

Name:  TPmLUyH.jpg
Size:  162.5 KB

Name:  n8mnZuS.jpg
Size:  174.0 KB
Old 04-02-2014, 10:25 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Got the breather back from the powder coater today, and I think it turned out really nice. Let me know what you think!

The 'blank' areas were taped for threading, and solid sealing of the filters if the powder had a problem with the silicone seal. All on-purpose and covered as you see!

Now we're talking!! I've been refreshing this section a few times a day waiting for the update on the breather. Looks great in my opinion and will blend in nicely under the hood and look like it was meant to be there. Very nice! I think LMR should offer it that way. Now hurry up and button that bad boy up!

Last edited by slief; 04-02-2014 at 10:55 PM.

Quick Reply: LMR Breather Can Unboxing / Install Notes Thread