C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are You Ready for an All-Wheel-Drive Corvette?

Old 03-06-2014, 04:19 PM
ManuelCarrillo3
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Are You Ready for an All-Wheel-Drive Corvette?

The Bugatti Veyron and the Porsche 918 Spyder, two of the most advanced hypercars ever, have four driven wheels. Motor Trend’s Best Driver’s Car, the Porsche 911 Carrera 4S, is all-wheel drive. Audi’s quattro permanent all-wheel-drive system was deemed an “unfair advantage” and banned from use in road racing. AMG is building more all-wheel-drive Benzes […]

More on the blog.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:17 PM
Turbo C5
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by ManuelCarrillo3

The Bugatti Veyron and the Porsche 918 Spyder, two of the most advanced hypercars ever, have four driven wheels. Motor Trend’s Best Driver’s Car, the Porsche 911 Carrera 4S, is all-wheel drive. Audi’s quattro permanent all-wheel-drive system was deemed an “unfair advantage” and banned from use in road racing. AMG is building more all-wheel-drive Benzes […]

More on the blog.
Yes!
Old 03-08-2014, 11:56 PM
c7luvr
Racer

The RWD Mclaren P1 blows the doors off of both of them.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:58 AM
JBL711
Intermediate

Are You Ready for an All-Wheel-Drive Corvette?

No

Last edited by JBL711; 03-09-2014 at 05:19 AM.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:03 AM
Jasil
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mclaren P1 is awesome, but much like the Ford GT it get's it's traction help from that engine being over the rear wheels.

All front engine RWD cars will suffer that same fate as HP goes up there will be a point the tires will just lose traction. While the AWD cars at the same power level hook!

The only fix is to put on some huge, soft, 15" rim/drag tire combo, and turn the car into a one dimensional car. Which usually means throwing in a automatic to boot ;(

The AWD cars don't suffer from this and this week will prove that again at Tx2K 2014 can't wait for that!!
Old 03-09-2014, 08:06 AM
zeke2u
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by c7luvr
The RWD Mclaren P1 blows the doors off of both of them.
So wouldn't the Ferrari FXX.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:27 AM
PARANORMAL
SUPPORT AUTISM
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '14

Originally Posted by ManuelCarrillo3

More on the blog.
Could have used this winter.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:00 AM
zeke2u
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Jasil
Mclaren P1 is awesome, but much like the Ford GT it get's it's traction help from that engine being over the rear wheels.

All front engine RWD cars will suffer that same fate as HP goes up there will be a point the tires will just lose traction. While the AWD cars at the same power level hook!

The only fix is to put on some huge, soft, 15" rim/drag tire combo, and turn the car into a one dimensional car. Which usually means throwing in a automatic to boot ;(

The AWD cars don't suffer from this and this week will prove that again at Tx2K 2014 can't wait for that!!
Well, its' engine is behind the driver, but not quite over the rear wheels. But I agree it's a great design and I wish GM would evolve in this direction. I'd love to see a lighter, mid-engined, aluminum, small displacement, twin turbo-ed V8 - augmented with an electric motor/starter, a la the McLaren. With increasing carbon footprint consciousness, it's inevitable that big displacement engines will eventually go the way of the dinosaur - in the not so distant future, a Ferrari 599 will have the resale value of a Saab 9000.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:47 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by jacquesc6
Could have used this winter.
Perfect for those mornings the friggn snow plow left you 4 foot drifts
at the end of the driveway!
Old 03-12-2014, 08:04 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

I think it would be interesting. At the very least, gtr people wouldn't be able to brag that it can beat a corvette off the line anymore.

But if I had to choose, I think I would prefer AWD over a rear engine. Unless there is a way to create the same cargo space that is currently in the corvette.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:50 PM
NofakeJake
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 136 Posts

I'm pretty sure GM's already testing. Having said that, there are lots of experiments that never come to market. I've got two Vettes and an SUV? If they made an AWD Vette, I'd have one in the garage.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:15 AM
RedlineGoods.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 142 Likes on 89 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07,-'13

Guys, There's been a 4WD Vette not looking like truck and holding a few 1/4 mile record times. It's been on the track since it was built back in 1995, has a turbocharged small block good for approx. 1650bhp and looks like this:

So whatever GM is plannig, they are wayyyyy behind a few crazy Polish guys

Take care

Jack
RedlineGoods Team

Join us on FACEBOOK and INSTAGRAM for product updates, contests and DISCOUNT CODES!!!

Old 03-16-2014, 09:35 PM
57 Silverhawk
Heel & Toe

That has been done way back in the, I think, 80's in MI. Also others like the 240Z.

OTOH, I think an AWD Vette would be pretty neat. I don't know quite how they would get the drive to all 4 wheels with either a front or mid engine. Rear would work but we don't need another Corvair!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Are You Ready for an All-Wheel-Drive Corvette?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Are You Ready for an All-Wheel-Drive Corvette?