C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECS DIY Supercharger Kit Unboxing / Install Log

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 12:04 AM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 218 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Not sure how many of you are young enough to be familiar with 4ch or Reddit, but this is one of those moments when somebody on those boards would usually scream "OP delivered".

Just a bit of humor for the younger folks.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:14 AM
Detoxx03
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 245 Posts

Nice looking kit.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:37 AM
Translator
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

You delivered as promised. No word on the soup though
Old 03-06-2014, 12:45 AM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

It was actually very good. The carrots took something away from it, though.

Now that you mention it, I shall have the remainder as a snack for my hard work out here.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:52 AM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

The bad news is that, now that I had a chance to go inside, I appear to have torn open one of my wounds (as my undershirt is covered in blood)... I felt something snap when I lifted up a box of headers and twisted with it.

God damn it... Nobody tell my wife, or she'll give me the "I told you so" speech.

So I think that wraps up my garage portion of the evening. At least I got the pics done. Schedule is to get the breather can from LMR on Friday, but I'd like to get at least half way through the install tomorrow.

Anyone think I should start a new thread for the install, or should I keep this one going? I'm actually having a great deal of fun with the current conversations.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:32 AM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by Unreal
Garage heaters? I have the door open and thinking about getting into the pool. It is mid 80s here. Poor dogs were panting on the walk from the heat.
I missed this somehow earlier. I say this will all respect due: Suck it.

We have ice on all of the cars and pretty much everywhere else. Two years ago, Missouri had one of the mildest winters on record. I picked up my convertible on February 2, 2012 and got a sunburn driving it home from Texas to St. Louis with the top down (first convertible stupidity right there, burned the ole' bald spot).

This year we're getting hit with the proverbial weather s**t-stick.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:26 AM
Blackdevil77
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't wait to see all this stuff on the car!
Old 03-06-2014, 08:55 AM
killascrimp
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude you killed it, don't change a thing..........And if someone tells your wife, I got your back.....Finish tha beast. Hope to see a youtube vid soon w/ quick 0 to 60s.....oh ya do French onion tonight.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:29 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

When you are done you should take the car over to Dsteck and have him flex fuel it too since you are in his home town.

Come visit any time. Plenty of garage parking and nice tracks/roads here. I'm hoping to be one of the first to pilot an ECS c7 down the track since our track is open and weather is perfect.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:48 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by Theta
The bad news is that, now that I had a chance to go inside, I appear to have torn open one of my wounds (as my undershirt is covered in blood)... I felt something snap when I lifted up a box of headers and twisted with it.

God damn it... Nobody tell my wife, or she'll give me the "I told you so" speech.

So I think that wraps up my garage portion of the evening. At least I got the pics done. Schedule is to get the breather can from LMR on Friday, but I'd like to get at least half way through the install tomorrow.

Anyone think I should start a new thread for the install, or should I keep this one going? I'm actually having a great deal of fun with the current conversations.

You sir are a trooper! Now that is dedication!!!!

When you are done you should take the car over to Dsteck and have him flex fuel it too since you are in his home town.

Come visit any time. Plenty of garage parking and nice tracks/roads here. I'm hoping to be one of the first to pilot an ECS c7 down the track since our track is open and weather is perfect.

I didn't realise that, Sean, Dsteck is a top tuner and he is right in your back yard. You know I'm more then willing to go back and forth with logs until the car is 110% and it's N/C, but this might be a better angle. At least maybe if/when you add meth injection like we were talking about.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:20 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Just be warned if he sends you text with attachments, you may not want to open them at work or ever want to eat gummy worms again.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:22 AM
00hotvette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope you feel better soon Theta. My car is down here in sunny South Florida putting some well deserved miles on her. That kit sure does look fine!!!! Hopefully VR will have my kit when she returns back too Atlanta. Keep up the great work.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:44 AM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Just be warned if he sends you text with attachments, you may not want to open them at work or ever want to eat gummy worms again.
I know exactly what you are talking about...
Old 03-06-2014, 11:01 AM
zo6 08
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Theta
Oh man... it's killing me having this here and not having it on yet. Seriously, painful.

I've been tasked with getting a 7-minute loop ready from scratch and edited in post for final cut on Saturday morning.

On top of that, we're launching three new international sites by Friday.

This could not have happened at a worse time, trust me!

I'm turning the heaters on tonight, though. Fear not.

Thanks - I'll try my best to take pictures every step of the way. You'll have to forgive me if I leave some stuff out, though. Greasy hands + expensive camera are not a good mix.

Doug and I (pretty much all Doug) will be tuning this using HPTuners and using a majority of road logging to do so. Should be fun!

The nose stays on, so that's a plus.

DIY video? I'm far too ugly for that - they'd have to blur my face!
Always helpful!
Thanks... happy for you!
A
Old 03-06-2014, 11:08 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Keep up with the pictures. Curious to see how it all goes together. Any reason you chose a head unit that gets engine oil vs. one of the self-contained ones? Do you still have to drill/tap a return to the pan like with the older C5 kits?
Old 03-06-2014, 11:22 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by travisnd
Keep up with the pictures. Curious to see how it all goes together. Any reason you chose a head unit that gets engine oil vs. one of the self-contained ones? Do you still have to drill/tap a return to the pan like with the older C5 kits?

The head unit is self contained, that is a drain hose so when it's mounted it's easy to drain the oil, then you just refill it with a full container of Paxton/Vortech oil.

One question I noticed I missed, The two restrictor plates are given so the customer has the option of power levels. The smaller opening will make roughly 7lbs and 570 rwhp, and the larger one will make roughly 8lbs and 600 rwhp.
The actual boost number will vary with things like temperature and elevation, but those are rough estimates.

The restrictor plate gives the low end of a higher boosted car, with the top end where we would like to be for engine longevity. This is why the TQ numbers on an ECS kit are close to the HP numbers.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:22 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

That is a self contained unit. The oil line is the drain line. It runs down to the bottom for easy oil changes.

Get notified of new replies

To ECS DIY Supercharger Kit Unboxing / Install Log

Old 03-06-2014, 11:47 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

10-4 thanks guys.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:16 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
You sir are a trooper! Now that is dedication!!!!

I didn't realise that, Sean, Dsteck is a top tuner and he is right in your back yard. You know I'm more then willing to go back and forth with logs until the car is 110% and it's N/C, but this might be a better angle. At least maybe if/when you add meth injection like we were talking about.
Funny you mention that, he's actually planning to come over some time soon to scout out the car and start looking for flex fueling options.

I had no idea he was a tuner on top of that, so that's awesome. Now I have someone reliable that can dial things in if/when I do go forward with a cam/HPFP in the future, or meth as you said.

I just found out that my SM will do the cam install @ GM's service facility here, so that's a huge load off my mind. I would just need it tuned right there (hopefully having a tune ready to load).
Old 03-06-2014, 05:18 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by killascrimp
Dude you killed it, don't change a thing..........And if someone tells your wife, I got your back.....Finish tha beast. Hope to see a youtube vid soon w/ quick 0 to 60s.....oh ya do French onion tonight.
Everybody raves about the French Onion, but I have a psychological aversion to onions for some reason... Unless they're grilled, and then they become magically delicious.

Quick Reply: ECS DIY Supercharger Kit Unboxing / Install Log