C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECS DIY Supercharger Kit Unboxing / Install Log

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 05:42 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Theta
Nah, Ron will tell you that I was really hesitant to have them do it, but it seems that across the board, most vendors will tell you that it's a difficult install.

That, and there are no firm directions yet.

Also, they're doing the IAT breakout and ZR1 3-bar, etc.
I heard it's a 6 hour job! Are they going to do a retune for you too?
Old 05-30-2014, 05:45 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 219 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
I heard it's a 6 hour job! Are they going to do a retune for you too?
Same here - everybody quotes it at 6 to 8 hours.

They'll do the Alky, all the cam and engine work, then build it back up and start playing with plates and pulleys (and of course a full tuning setup) to get the big midrange I'm looking for.

I'm always in the 3000-5500 range so I'm wanting to make big power in that area. We'll see - I might just have to alter my driving style.

I swore I was going to just put an intake on the car when I first bought it.........
Old 05-30-2014, 10:31 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Same here - everybody quotes it at 6 to 8 hours.

They'll do the Alky, all the cam and engine work, then build it back up and start playing with plates and pulleys (and of course a full tuning setup) to get the big midrange I'm looking for.

I'm always in the 3000-5500 range so I'm wanting to make big power in that area. We'll see - I might just have to alter my driving style.

I swore I was going to just put an intake on the car when I first bought it.........
LOL Stop now and just order a Z06, it will be cheaper!
Old 05-30-2014, 10:37 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

LOL Stop now and just order a Z06, it will be cheaper!
Trust me, the thought had crossed my mind - I was offered one at sticker no less... No going back now, though.

I think I'll be happier with the 750+whp Z51 for less money (even after everything overall), but only time will tell.

Can't wait to roll up on a Z06/Z07 this time next year. I know that feeling all too well after a few weeks ago with a 427 pushing way too much power for me to keep up with.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:41 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Trust me, the thought had crossed my mind - I was offered one at sticker no less... No going back now, though.

I think I'll be happier with the 750+whp Z51 for less money (even after everything overall), but only time will tell.

Can't wait to roll up on a Z06/Z07 this time next year. I know that feeling all too well after a few weeks ago with a 427 pushing way too much power for me to keep up with.
You see it as cheaper but you will have more than $20k invested soon enough. Once you're dont with all the power adders, you then goto wheels and tires, then when people come out with a wide body, you get that too, then you want to upgrade to the Z06 brakes, then you want the Z06 tail lights, then you want the side skirts... You get where Im going? I went there FAST with my C6!

My ProCharger kit and ARH LTs are in my basement just collecting dust. I'm currently scouting out a 1LT to mod until the Z06 comes out.

Just imagine what a Z06 will pump out with a pulley tune! Im guessing some of these shops will have 700 RWHP with just those two at a cost of maybe $2k!
Old 05-31-2014, 08:56 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I think I'm just about there after the aero and the seat conversion, so you're right on that account! Same goes for the wide body, etc. It's all a sickness in a way, but it's fun in the mean time. Life's short.

Only time will tell what the LT4 brings us. Until then, I think I should be pretty happy.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:12 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I think I'm just about there after the aero and the seat conversion, so you're right on that account! Same goes for the wide body, etc. It's all a sickness in a way, but it's fun in the mean time. Life's short.

Only time will tell what the LT4 brings us. Until then, I think I should be pretty happy.
It's a fun hobby and keeps you busy and out of trouble!

I love modding cars, makes it your own, I just hate adding the $$ after I'm done!
Old 05-31-2014, 11:33 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

It's a fun hobby and keeps you busy and out of trouble!

I love modding cars, makes it your own, I just hate adding the $$ after I'm done!
Those are the two worst parts:

1) Adding up what you're in for already (did that the other day and had to take a few deep breaths and calm down),
and
2) Realizing you have to de-mod and/or take a huge hit on the car when selling it. With the way the C7 is, the cam will be left in, and you might as well sell the whole kit'n'kaboodle at that point unless you wanted to put everything back together again (AFM, DoD, etc), remove the blower, Alky, etc. Doable, but yikes. Best to find a buyer that likes it the way it is.

Other than that, it's all gravy.

I've been down this road wayyyy too many times, and should have known better. In fact, spent the better part of 6 months on and off de-modding another car to sell just last year. But, life really is too short to not have fun sometimes. It's only money, and you can't take it with you.

That being said, if I do all this to just trade up to a Z06 next year, I'm going to kick my own ***.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:17 PM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

There is no way I'm taking all of this Sh*t back off if and when I sell the car.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:37 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by Motohead279
There is no way I'm taking all of this Sh*t back off if and when I sell the car.
I tell myself I'm just going to keep it - it makes me feel better about my decisions.

Helps that I love the looks and feel of the car.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:01 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Those are the two worst parts:

1) Adding up what you're in for already (did that the other day and had to take a few deep breaths and calm down),
and
2) Realizing you have to de-mod and/or take a huge hit on the car when selling it. With the way the C7 is, the cam will be left in, and you might as well sell the whole kit'n'kaboodle at that point unless you wanted to put everything back together again (AFM, DoD, etc), remove the blower, Alky, etc. Doable, but yikes. Best to find a buyer that likes it the way it is.

Other than that, it's all gravy.

I've been down this road wayyyy too many times, and should have known better. In fact, spent the better part of 6 months on and off de-modding another car to sell just last year. But, life really is too short to not have fun sometimes. It's only money, and you can't take it with you.

That being said, if I do all this to just trade up to a Z06 next year, I'm going to kick my own ***.
I just went through it. I was asking $37k for my C6 Vert, Twin Turbo, Full Z06 Widebody, brakes, wheels etc... No takers, I would have taken $35k. No one was interested so I started demodding. $5k for the turbo, 6K for the wheels and front widebody, $1k for the brakes. So far Ive gotten $12k for my mods and still have $3k in mods to sell. The car "stock" goes for $25k. I will be demodding my C7 when I sell it for the Z06!

Theres a sure way not to trade up to a Z06, DON'T DRIVE ONE! I told myself that I would never drive a Z06 / ZR1 because I didn't want to buy one. I knew that if I drove either one I would have bought it! Till this day, I still haven't driven either one! Plenty of chances from friends but I refused!

I'll give you $50k for your car, you can put it as a down payment towards a C7 Z06!
Old 06-01-2014, 09:13 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I'll give you $50k for your car, you can put it as a down payment towards a C7 Z06!
Tempting, but I can't take a $35k hit on it with only 900 miles on the clock.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:59 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Tempting, but I can't take a $35k hit on it with only 900 miles on the clock.
I'll let you drive it for another 1100 miles.

You need to stop working on that car and drive that beast!!!
Old 07-19-2014, 01:28 AM
Mike's 14 Stingray
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil venting into air box

I had a ECS supercharger installed and loved it, but with less than 1,000 miles on the car and less than 500 on the SC, the car vented oil into the air box which prompt spilled out through the engine compartment and onto the ground. It was probably about 1 1/2 cup of oil spilled (and sprayed over the passenger side of the engine compartment).

I'm looking at using the RX Performance recapture canister to solve the problem but those instructions are for the stock engine compartment that is now different. So, the mounting bracket won't work now (although a modified version probably would) and now that the lower vacuum port is sealed off, I'm not clear on how to hook it up.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks....
Old 07-27-2014, 01:33 AM
spaceaholic
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 77 Likes on 30 Posts

Went with LMR to solve the issue ..time will tell if it was the correct move..

Old 07-27-2014, 01:35 AM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

SC plus aFE? That's a new one!

Looking good!
Old 07-27-2014, 01:37 AM
spaceaholic
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

SC plus aFE? That's a new one!

Looking good!
Err...yep. Had a flange machined to facilitate interoperability between thei air box and S/C intake. Much better then going stock in my opinion

Get notified of new replies

To ECS DIY Supercharger Kit Unboxing / Install Log

Old 07-27-2014, 01:38 AM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

You might have to share that one with me, or at least tell me more about it.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:45 AM
spaceaholic
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Not sure if these are useful but additional shots of the flange/interface to the aFE..

Old 07-27-2014, 01:48 AM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

It's a great idea - thanks for the additional pics.

Seems like a logical step for those who already have an SC kit. Did you have specs made up or just go bit by bit until you had a proper fit?

The hardest part so far with the other billet pieces has been machining that rounded area to fit snugly into the factory airbox.

It looks nicely done, either way.

Quick Reply: ECS DIY Supercharger Kit Unboxing / Install Log