C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help please - Stabilitrak vs Performance Traction

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 01:18 PM
fieldre
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please - Stabilitrak vs Performance Traction

I almost have 500 miles on my C7 Z51 7 spd manual with Mag ride control and am reading the manual about the different driving modes. On page 9-40, there is a grid that summarizes the various capabilities and when they are turned on.

StabiliTrack is listed and available only in Track mode. The manual says to press center console button once to turn it off to allow some drift/slide on the track. Hold the button down for 10 seconds to turn off Stabilitrak all together.

There is also Performance Traction listed that is also only available in Track mode. You press the button 2 times to allow you to choose between 5 performance options.

Here are my questions:

In my C7, when I press the button once, the traction control indicator light comes on. The manual says that Stabilitrak would be turned off so why doesn't the Stabilitrak indicator light to come on rather than the traction control indicator?

When I hold the button down for 4 seconds, the Traction Control and Stability Control indicator lights come on. The manual says nothing about this. When I hold down the button for 10 seconds, nothing happens, but the two indicator lights turn off at 11 seconds. This does not seem consistent with how the manual describes.

I am obviously confused about the functions of Stabilitrak and Traction Control. What indicates that the StabiliTrak is turned off totally showing you have successfully held the button down for 10 seconds to turn it off? What mode am I in if I only press the button one time and the TC light comes on?

I hope somebody can shed some light on my confusion.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:02 PM
ZAKO6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well if its anything like the C6 you press it once and traction turns off. This means the engine won't cut power to give traction to both wheels. However its still does in this mode I think because its still in stabiltrak or whatever. Now when you hold it the traction off light should come on and eventually it says traction and stability turned off. Some GM vehicles have seperate lights for each one. So with both off after holding the button down you may see two lights illuminated on the dash. Stabilitrak is when you are cornering and it wants to put more power to a certain wheel.
I.e. - If you were taking a left hand corner hard your left rear wheel may be coming off the ground a little. Or I think the car senses over and understeer in which case it will apply power to whichever wheel accordingly.

All in all if you press the button once you have only turned off traction. IMO still sucks. Hold it down and turn it all off. With stabiltrak still on it will cut power and straighten out the car if you try to get it a little sideways or lose traction. I like to keep my foot in it and just keep going with it.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:17 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I just read the manual. Stabilitrack (started calling AH what they call it on the other GM cars) and TCS are both on when you start the engine. You use the buttons to turn them on and off just as you indicated. Same as C5 and C6. The outer dial selects what mode the car is in. Competition Mode in cars with the Z51 w the F55 option is only available in track mode. There is a chart on page 9-40 that shows which modes permit which functions.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Help please - Stabilitrak vs Performance Traction

Quick Reply: Help please - Stabilitrak vs Performance Traction