C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recall for Diff.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:17 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Default Recall for Diff.

I don't know if anyone else has seen this but talking to the local dealer there is a possible recall on at least the Z51 cars due to a possible lack of correct fluid level in the diff's.

Could be up to a quart low.

I don't know if this effects all of them or just the Z51 cars but if you have one, check your diff fluid.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:43 PM
0Cunningham Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
I don't know if anyone else has seen this but talking to the local dealer there is a possible recall on at least the Z51 cars due to a possible lack of correct fluid level in the diff's.

I don't know if this effects all of them or just the Z51 cars but if you have one, check your diff fluid.
hydraulic block for the diff on the driver side of rear bumper is leaking slightly on the c7 we have in the shop right now... might be a cause??
Old 11-20-2013, 02:50 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by RyneZ06
hydraulic block for the diff on the driver side of rear bumper is leaking slightly on the c7 we have in the shop right now... might be a cause??
Checked our car, and it was down 2/3 of a quart. No leaks and less than 500 miles.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:53 PM
0Cunningham Motorsports
Former Vendor

Checked our car, and it was down 2/3 of a quart. No leaks and less than 500 miles.
the fluid coming out of this block seems very thin and almost like ATF fluid in consistency ... its a very minor leak, more like a seep
Old 11-20-2013, 03:01 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by RyneZ06
the fluid coming out of this block seems very thin and almost like ATF fluid in consistency ... its a very minor leak, more like a seep
The diff still calls for a 75w90 gear oil, and almost a quart low would make one heck of a mess all of the back of the car.

The recall states the factory didn't get the fill right, not a leak.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:01 PM
VIN666
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh boy.
That's a shame.
The fluid id Dex VI ATF. It's the hydraulic fluid used to actuate the eLSD.
Can you snap a pic?
Is it leaking from the connectors?
If so, it could be residual from making the connection... Keep an eye on it for sure.
To be clear though, unlike low axle fluid, low eLSD fluid will not have a damaging effect on the car. The eLSD simply will stop working until it gets fluid again.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:05 PM
0Cunningham Motorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by VIN666
Oh boy.
That's a shame.
The fluid id Dex VI ATF. It's the hydraulic fluid used to actuate the eLSD.
Can you snap a pic?
Is it leaking from the connectors?
If so, it could be residual from making the connection... Keep an eye on it for sure.
To be clear though, unlike low axle fluid, low eLSD fluid will not have a damaging effect on the car. The eLSD simply will stop working until it gets fluid again.
yes its for the elsd....i figured the valve body had a different fluid.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:07 PM
VIN666
Pro

Not only the valve body, also the tank located on the driver side of the rear axle (where the lines fo from the actuator).
Where does yours leak from? Haven't heard of another external leak thus far.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:08 PM
0Cunningham Motorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by VIN666
Not only the valve body, also the tank located on the driver side of the rear axle (where the lines fo from the actuator).
Where does yours leak from? Haven't heard of another external leak thus far.
pm me lets not clutter this thread
Old 11-20-2013, 03:21 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

They didn't say anything about any issues with the eDiff part, just that the actual gear oil level on the cars was not filled correctly.

Worth checking out though for sure.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:30 PM
Krimzin
Intermediate

I was speaking with Patrick from Autonation Galleria in Dallas, he made me aware of this issue. He does all the mechanical make readies for the 2014 Corvettes at his dealership. He said that the diff fluid level is the first thing he checks.

This guy is as solid as they come, I drive almost 50miles one way to make sure he is only one who works on my Corvette.

Autonation Galleria in Dallas.. Ask for Patrick.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:30 PM
Z06pete
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Back in the day I use to be a Factory Trained Corvette Tech, And one of my jobs was to PDI all of the new just delivered Corvettes hot off the truck. And if the car was Ordered or sold it didn't leave the dealership until all fluid levels were checked and topped off even the windshield washer fluid.
I can't believe for a minute any Corvette dealership would let a brand new Corvette hit the street without checking everything out before delivery.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:36 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Z06pete
Back in the day I use to be a Factory Trained Corvette Tech, And one of my jobs was to PDI all of the new just delivered Corvettes hot off the truck. And if the car was Ordered or sold it didn't leave the dealership until all fluid levels were checked and topped off even the windshield washer fluid.
I can't believe for a minute any Corvette dealership would let a brand new Corvette hit the street without checking everything out before delivery.
Well that might be the case, but ours and the one above are two different ones listed.

Be curious how many are effected.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:34 PM
yuri_Stingray
Advanced

It sounds crazy to me too, but its been a real issue from I've heard. Worth checking for piece of mind
Old 11-20-2013, 10:22 PM
Gr8ful
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I call the local dealer and he ask for my VIN. He checked and said mine ( 3385 ) was not effected in the recall and that it is by vin only and no need to have the fluid level checked.
Still, I would feel better if it was checked. I need a shop manual so I can do this stuff myself.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:51 PM
Jim Barker
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

It's called a pensil service. Nothin but checkmarks
Old 11-20-2013, 11:32 PM
yuri_Stingray
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jim Barker
It's called a pensil service. Nothin but checkmarks

Get notified of new replies

To Recall for Diff.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:55 AM
Hot Rod Todd
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

GM determines what is done during the PDI. With current levels of quality control it is wasteful to check everything on the car and GM does not pay the dealer to do it, nor expect them to.

That being said, this sounds like a case of vendor quality gone bad. I'm sure GM checked into the vendor's system for filling and checking fluid level of the diff's when a couple turned up empty, and found it lacking. No doubt corrections have been made that will elminate the problem from now on, but all of the early cars could have had a problem and need to be checked.

Mine was checked and found to be full. They recall states that if the diff is low, the dealer should test drive the car to check for any noise. If any noise is detected the enitre diff will be replaced.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:10 PM
0Cunningham Motorsports
Former Vendor

checked the diff fluid on the c7 here... its full
Old 11-21-2013, 01:34 PM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I will check mine. but did you noticed a weird noise when its cold especially going into reverse? I noticed that with mine couple times and it has less than 1000miles on it...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Recall for Diff.