C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recall for Diff.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 05:55 PM
theseal
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

i'm sorry you guys are already having problems.... but i have to say i called the e diff a huge mistake and though this little issue is no big deal in the big picture, we'll see whether i was right after a few years.... or maybe sooner.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:40 AM
Krimzin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ramey
i'm sorry you guys are already having problems.... but i have to say i called the e diff a huge mistake and though this little issue is no big deal in the big picture, we'll see whether i was right after a few years.... or maybe sooner.
Not to get into a pissing contest, but show me one vehicle that has ever been released with zero issues. Just doesn't happen. The law of numbers says there will always be problems that were not caught in production when you release on a grand scale.

The question is more about how they deal with the problems that arise, rather than the problems themselves.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:32 AM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Your calling of the e diff "a huge mistake" is based on what?
Old 11-22-2013, 12:23 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,449 Likes on 2,273 Posts

Isn't the e-diff also being put in Cadillacs?
Old 11-22-2013, 12:55 PM
VIN666
Pro

Yes it is going into the hot caddies.

And ramey has been bashing the eLSD every time he gets a chance.
His justifications in other threads were complete bogus, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:05 PM
theseal
Drifting

Originally Posted by VIN666
Yes it is going into the hot caddies.

And ramey has been bashing the eLSD every time he gets a chance.
His justifications in other threads were complete bogus, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
we'll see.

its not off to a good start, though this problem is not a big one right now.

CLIFFS NOTES:

i predict that time will tell that the ediff is really another overly complicated nanny designed to prevent proper driving by people who know what they are doing, and improper driving by people that don't, in conjunction with the VSES.

i predict that it will not perform as well as a good torsen style mechanical diff would have, or even the cheap clutch pack the c2-6 came with, which works pretty well actually.

i predict that it will be complicated and prone to failure, much moreso than either of the above.

i predict that people who really like to track or autocross their z51's will be trying to find ways to trick the software and swap out the ediffs soon.

time will tell.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:18 PM
theseal
Drifting

I really feel bad for owners, and for GM, if this goes really badly.... but i think time will tell it was stupid to even try. here we go again:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...-2282-a-2.html

that said, if any of you guys ragging on me for my opinion/prediction have this problem, i will be forced to chuckle.

imagine how much fun it will be if the e diff decides to change settings mid corner on track! fun! c7, meet wall... or at least meet ruined lap.

frankly, even if the e diff does not prove to be a disaster, the limited slip on the c5-6 was not one of the things that really needed 'upgrading' in the first place, much less at the additional weight, complexity, and expense of an e diff.

i expect it will be widely viewed as a bad idea soon.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:58 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

FWIW, I have been told there are 2 issues: the fluid (in a small percentage of cars) and issues with the firmware / hardware in the controller. The latter is the main driver behind the Z51 constraint according to this individual.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:36 PM
k-mart
Pro

we'll see.

CLIFFS NOTES:

i predict that time will tell that the ediff is really another overly complicated nanny designed to prevent proper driving by people who know what they are doing, and improper driving by people that don't, in conjunction with the VSES.

i predict that it will not perform as well as a good torsen style mechanical diff would have, or even the cheap clutch pack the c2-6 came with, which works pretty well actually.

i predict that it will be complicated and prone to failure, much moreso than either of the above.

i predict that people who really like to track or autocross their z51's will be trying to find ways to trick the software and swap out the ediffs soon.

time will tell.
I predict 98 percent of C7's will randomly burst into flames.

Time will tell.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:00 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Nah, won't happen. You have to get a Jaguar or a Tesla Model S if it is spontaneous combustion you're after. Ferrari also, but I think the issues there were addressed.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:45 AM
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Wonder if any long term damage will be done to the differential due to running a quart low?
Old 12-06-2013, 08:57 PM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

Anthony,
Bobby told me about the recall when I talked to him the other day. We checked ours yesterday and it was about a half to 3/4 low. Our car is 845. Its a Z51
Justin
Old 12-07-2013, 11:57 AM
vegasredz062
Melting Slicks

Received 115 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

my car is build number 2496 , do you think they figured it out by then?
Old 12-07-2013, 01:14 PM
midnightbluS10
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Todd
GM determines what is done during the PDI. With current levels of quality control it is wasteful to check everything on the car and GM does not pay the dealer to do it, nor expect them to.

That being said, this sounds like a case of vendor quality gone bad. I'm sure GM checked into the vendor's system for filling and checking fluid level of the diff's when a couple turned up empty, and found it lacking. No doubt corrections have been made that will elminate the problem from now on, but all of the early cars could have had a problem and need to be checked.

Mine was checked and found to be full. They recall states that if the diff is low, the dealer should test drive the car to check for any noise. If any noise is detected the enitre diff will be replaced.
I was paid more than enough for each PDI that I did. There was an extensive list, which I happily went over on each and every car that I PDI'd. Which included all fluids.

If any Corvette left with low fluid, and its actually checkable, then someone didn't do their job...multiple times at multiple locations. And I wouldn't doubt it. PDIs are seen as gravy work, and done asap with as little effort as possible, I'm sure. Also considered by some to be a waste of time and money, when they could be making $ on a better job with more bookable hours. So they whiz thru it, giving it the penci check only.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:40 PM
billsee
Instructor

Originally Posted by J.Abbott
Anthony,
Bobby told me about the recall when I talked to him the other day. We checked ours yesterday and it was about a half to 3/4 low. Our car is 845. Its a Z51
Justin
Justin, our cars are almost twins: mine is Z51 and #843. Dealer checked mine and said fluid level was dead nuts on. And he WANTED to find it low so he could "test drive" it .

Criticism of the new differential reminds me of the negative comments when they introduced the continuously-adjustable computer controlled F55 shocks. Within a few years they are standard equipment on the high performance Vettes, Porsches and Ferraris. I'd not own a car without them.

eLSD criticism falls in the same category. Part of the reason the Z51 drives like its on rails is eLSD. I have been driving in snow and the eLSD does a great job on broken ice/snow/bare pavement: full throttle, power alternating between left-right wheels to keep it going in a straight line. Fantastic! I'll live with teething pains, if any appear with my car.

Billsee
Old 12-13-2013, 02:39 PM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by billsee
Justin, our cars are almost twins: mine is Z51 and #843. Dealer checked mine and said fluid level was dead nuts on. And he WANTED to find it low so he could "test drive" it .

Criticism of the new differential reminds me of the negative comments when they introduced the continuously-adjustable computer controlled F55 shocks. Within a few years they are standard equipment on the high performance Vettes, Porsches and Ferraris. I'd not own a car without them.

eLSD criticism falls in the same category. Part of the reason the Z51 drives like its on rails is eLSD. I have been driving in snow and the eLSD does a great job on broken ice/snow/bare pavement: full throttle, power alternating between left-right wheels to keep it going in a straight line. Fantastic! I'll live with teething pains, if any appear with my car.

Billsee
Cool, they were one car apart from each other. Our car is doing great, we haven't driven it much but every mile over 600 so far has been pretty hard miles. I have not had any issues at all with it. Just the low oil, but we fixed that.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:02 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,148 Posts

I predict that any sick BASt*** who would chuckle at another car guys misfortune is a TURD.

Get notified of new replies

To Recall for Diff.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:15 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by theseal
we'll see.

CLIFFS NOTES:

time will tell.
I predict that you couldn't win the lottery even if a time traveller visited you with the winning ticket.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:36 PM
Matt @ FSP
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

1/4 qt. low on our Z51 here.. Nothing really to write home about.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:28 AM
redplasticcar
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vegasredz062
my car is build number 2496 , do you think they figured it out by then?
Mine is #2894 in shop getting new diff now. Also not a z/51 base cars have this problem too. Also the diff noise started in less than 400 miles.

Last edited by redplasticcar; 12-15-2013 at 11:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Recall for Diff.