C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Dyno Testing Major Headers Very Soon!!! :)

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 07:51 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Have you pmed kooks and lg? or called them? Are they just ignoring you or what's the deal?
Old 12-04-2013, 11:44 PM
Jason 98 TA
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Just for fun reference guy both our engine dyno motor and katechs engine dyno motor gained something like 10 hp from installing dyno headers...
Old 12-05-2013, 06:08 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA
Just for fun reference guy both our engine dyno motor and katechs engine dyno motor gained something like 10 hp from installing dyno headers...
Were you using the cats etc. from the headers back?

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

Old 12-05-2013, 06:14 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Is you motor still on the engine dyno? We have your intake ready, but the heat shield mold is going through a change to add a cover to encapsulate the filter and allow only airflow through the stock fender-well location.

Testing the IATs with the stock intake today surprised me. 21F outside air temps we saw +20F delta AOT to IAT, and +40F when idling.

That is where we are with our intake with our CPAPS fan off, but the cover will help with that delta. We typically see +4 to +5F on the road.

The heat shield we have has not been cutout yet, so Monday we could ship it for the engine dyno, but it would not be ready for prime time on the car. I would rather have you wait for the completed airbox.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:38 PM
briancb1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep this thread updated. I support vendors who test their products like so and I know many other people will favor those who provide details rather than a sales gimmic.

Thanks.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:43 PM
J Christensen
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron@Vengeance Racing
Vengeance Racing doesn't sell hype... We sell horsepower.
Ron, I probably missed it but you are going to go from a custom tuned OEM car for your base line reference?

This wil be a very interesting set of data/results.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:28 PM
0Ron@Vengeance Racing
Former Vendor

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by J Christensen
Ron, I probably missed it but you are going to go from a custom tuned OEM car for your base line reference?

This wil be a very interesting set of data/results.
You are correct. Our C7 has already been modified with a custom camshaft and Pfadt Longtube headers as well as ECU calibration for the listed mods.

While I'm sure some folks would prefer to see these tests performed on a stock vehicle we aren't able to offer that at this time. We WILL be able to show the power band of each system on the same dyno with the same tuner with no other variables being introduced.

With some shops showing 10rwhp gains and others showing 50rwhp gains we hope this testing provides a bit of consistency and allows consumers to make a more informed decision when purchasing headers.

On a side note Kooks reached out to us today and will be sending a system to be tested as well. We will have ARH long tubes installed and tuned tomorrow and will post results ASAP.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:39 AM
VIN666
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone commented on your FB page that the Pfadts were a PITA to mount.
Any comment on that? I'm sure fittment and installation will be a deciding factor for people as well, especially if the systems come in close performance wise.
Thanks.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:19 AM
0Ron@Vengeance Racing
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by VIN666
Someone commented on your FB page that the Pfadts were a PITA to mount.
Any comment on that? I'm sure fittment and installation will be a deciding factor for people as well, especially if the systems come in close performance wise.
Thanks.
It would not be fair for me to say the Pfadt headers are a PITA to install Vs other brands until I have installed other manufacturer systems. We will have the ARH longtubes buttoned up this morning and I can atleast comment on these two systems.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:22 PM
Jason 98 TA

I have Kooks & ARH here Ron. Are you going to sell the Pfadts off that car? I'll buy from ya if your taking off so I can test.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:49 PM
kiteboardr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ron, can you comment on the fitment and install ease of the ARHs vs Pfadts?
Old 12-06-2013, 11:25 PM
J Christensen
Burning Brakes

Ron,

I understand you are, or will be using the same vehicle to test these setups.

Since you don't have a baseline, why not make one? When you take off a setup, go back to OEM, custom tune, and you have your baseline, providing the rest of the car is OEM. To me it seems this would be a very useful and important piece of data, and, providing you can rather easily go back to OEM, provides a most meaningful base.

I know I keep pressing the issue. As you know, given all the work you will be or are doing, the baseline makes the whole process much more useful.

... but then again, I am probably missing something?
Old 12-06-2013, 11:34 PM
Jason 98 TA

I can test on the engine dyno and Ron can test on a car. This way we get double data. I will use the engine dyno so we can watch airflow, multiple o2s, etc. the best part is we can track all the way down to coolant temps and oil temps to make sure everything is similar. I expect I can dyno 5 headers in under 2 hours on the engine dyno so there won't be much time for the environment to change.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:36 PM
Jason 98 TA

I can also test on a stock motor, hc motor and stroker
Old 12-06-2013, 11:49 PM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Ron,

I understand you are, or will be using the same vehicle to test these setups.

Since you don't have a baseline, why not make one? When you take off a setup, go back to OEM, custom tune, and you have your baseline, providing the rest of the car is OEM. To me it seems this would be a very useful and important piece of data, and, providing you can rather easily go back to OEM, provides a most meaningful base.

I know I keep pressing the issue. As you know, given all the work you will be or are doing, the baseline makes the whole process much more useful.

... but then again, I am probably missing something?
Ron already have a stock dyno sheet and tune only! so he does have a baseline. the car is cammed and as long as its the same cam, you don't really need to go back to a stock cam to figure out which of these headers will make more power. I know it will be different with the stock cam but most likely the best headers with the cam Ron is running, will still be the best headers on a stock car. (except maybe if you are thinking about running a stock tune and want to see how every different brand will do?) I know its probably not that simple, but it really is!

I for one don't care which of those headers will produce the most power on a stock car, simply because I know they all will probably be close. and I am sure Ron and the guys at Vengeance Racing don't care that much either, as again most likely the data they will get now will probably be enough to figure out what works better.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:02 AM
J Christensen
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by walhan_qtr
Ron already have a stock dyno sheet and tune only! so he does have a baseline. the car is cammed and as long as its the same cam, you don't really need to go back to a stock cam to figure out which of these headers will make more power. I know it will be different with the stock cam but most likely the best headers with the cam Ron is running, will still be the best headers on a stock car. (except maybe if you are thinking about running a stock tune and want to see how every different brand will do?) I know its probably not that simple, but it really is!

I for one don't care which of those headers will produce the most power on a stock car, simply because I know they all will probably be close. and I am sure Ron and the guys at Vengeance Racing don't care that much either, as again most likely the data they will get now will probably be enough to figure out what works better.
I understand. The thing is with a baseline tuned car, the non-experts get to see how much the headers 'really' make, over a tuned OEM car. I suspect much of the claims by manuf will be 'high'. Seeing the rough, 'true' gains gives the user/buyer a much more down to earth look at the $/HP. I suspect there won't be much difference between them, either. I would like to be surprised, though!
Old 12-07-2013, 01:19 AM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I understand. The thing is with a baseline tuned car, the non-experts get to see how much the headers 'really' make, over a tuned OEM car. I suspect much of the claims by manuf will be 'high'. Seeing the rough, 'true' gains gives the user/buyer a much more down to earth look at the $/HP. I suspect there won't be much difference between them, either. I would like to be surprised, though!
he also have a stock car and stock tune file. but again he wont have headers only files. I understand what you are saying too, just something that I doubt will happen at this point from Vengeance Racing.

but this is what Texas-speed is doing now!

Get notified of new replies

To Engine Dyno Testing Major Headers Very Soon!!! :)

Old 12-07-2013, 01:30 AM
C7GrandSport
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by AR Headers
I'd like to add my thoughts on this dyno test. Jason has a set of our long tubes headers he'll be putting thru their paces but as I explained to him in a PM earlier, our headers have already been tested by some very reputable shops. Matt at Tune Time, Graham at Lingenfelter, Fran at Race Proven, Stephen at LMR, Nick at Fastlane, Mike at Hennessey to name a few, can all fill you in on what ARH C7 header systems produce.
And to make a slight correction to something mentioned earlier by Jason, we dyno test to death every design we manufacture and for the C7 we have 2 distinctly different designs. Jason only has our long tube system. i welcome him to test our Mid Lengths as they are killer.
Keep in mind that we're in the HP making business where everything we build is highly scrutinized. Our goal, with every set of headers we build, is maximizing power and make sure the system provides the least amount of compromises.
We only build headers and we know exactly what needs to be done to produce the desired results long before the first pipe is even bent. This is why ARH is used exclusively by GM, Ford and Chrysler on all their race programs.
Good luck with your test Jason. We especially appreciate working with Texas Speed. Top notch shop for sure!

Nick
A.R. Headers
Nick,
Here's your mid lengths dyno'ed at The Vette Doctors today
Old 12-07-2013, 10:54 AM
JTMmotorsports
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron@Vengeance Racing
It would not be fair for me to say the Pfadt headers are a PITA to install Vs other brands until I have installed other manufacturer systems. We will have the ARH longtubes buttoned up this morning and I can atleast comment on these two systems.
Hey Ron, any results on your header test? Would really like to see the differences between these headers..
Old 12-07-2013, 11:03 AM
0Ron@Vengeance Racing
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by John@JTMMotorsports
Hey Ron, any results on your header test? Would really like to see the differences between these headers..

We have completed testing of the ARH 1 7/8 4 into 1 Long tubes (ORX)/Pfadt Tri y Long tubes (ORX) and ARH Mid Length (CATTED).

We will get the results posted this weekend and place a link in this thread for all who are interested.

Please keep in mind our testing was conducted on a cammed and tuned C7.. Our testing will show the differences between header systems for a modified engine, but will not show gains from adding headers to a stock car. I know this may not be what some of you are looking for, but hopefully the information is beneficial to a portion of the group. Hopefully Jason @ TSP can cover the gains portion on his engine dyno.

Stay tuned. I have to head out for a photo shoot with our C7 this morning and Ill get the results posted as soon as I can.

Jason, Ill shoot you a PM

Quick Reply: Engine Dyno Testing Major Headers Very Soon!!! :)