C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why drag race a road course car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 04:16 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,961 Likes on 5,347 Posts

I think the format of HPDEs varies quite a bit depending on the track being used and the group running the event. If you are at a big name track like the Glen the various groups sign up for a minimum of two days during the week. On the weekend they sign up for a minimum of three days. The ~$8K per day fee includes the track workers, wreckers and ambulance crews. The track is open to drive at 8:30 and closes at 4:30 although some groups pay for an extended day. A number of groups run 4 run groups at 20 minutes per session per run group while some others run 4 40 minute sessions (I usually can't make it through a 40 minute session since I don't have the energy I had when I was 25 years younger) for 2 open track run groups and 4 25 minute sessions for the novices. Not sure how things get boring for anybody. Between all of the driving sessions there are classroom sessions and when they aren't in the classroom they are usually getting their cars ready for the next session. Makes for a busy, tiring two days.

Is it expensive, yes. As an instructor I usually get free track time but the consumable charges can get pretty staggering if you decide to run more than a stock car on street tires. If you keep the stock brakes and street tires you are off your maximum pace by a few seconds but still have the same amount of fun. You may only go through a corner at 100 mph Vs 105 but the car is still running at its or your limit which doesn't decrease the thrill factor. Never got an adrenaline high doing drag racing but I get one every time I head out on a road course. It is worse than being addicted to crack.

I do get a kick out of some of the drag racers that come to the track to get a ride and ask to get out of the car within 3 laps due to being nauseous. There is just something about hurtling down a steep hill with the driver holding the gas pedal all the way to the floor, approaching a bunch of tress and a tire wall at a speed that seems impossible and all of a sudden the driver applies the brakes hard, downshifts, turns in and rolls onto the gas while pulling enough Gs that their body gets first slammed against the harness then against the side of the car because they didn't fasten the harness tight enough. As the car comes out of the corner their body gets pressed to the rear as the car accelerates down the straight. On the next turn the only difference is a different view of guard rails/trees and turning the other direction. This is repeated 11 times in just over 2 minutes. If they bother to look at the speedo on the long straight they will see speeds close to or above 160.

I have been doing HPDEs since 1992 and I have never been at one where people really discussed what they do for a living. Some people bring rotted out Mustangs they put together themselves from 2 cars and a total cost less than $1K and others show up in an 18 wheeler with two cars inside. Once in the garage they are all equal and share stories, tools and provide an extra helping hand when needed.

Bill
Old 11-15-2013, 04:21 PM
VIN666
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All the track days I have seen run you about 150-300 bucks to run.
That's not that bad if you ask me. And if you figure out the $ spent per second in the seat it makes drag racing look mighty expensive.

Just my 0.02.

And I agree. The only thing better than a track day is hill climb, which is neither readily available or cheap, but second to non as far as automotive adrenalin rushes go.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:42 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve@HPE
10 seconds, then sit and wait for the next pass. That's boring, IMO

In many road course HPDE's you get 3-4 30 minute sessions. You don't get that kind of seat time drag racing in an entire season.

Plus, isn't drag racing for hillbillies......ha ha ha....JK
no that's NASCAR just like road racing
Old 11-16-2013, 09:02 PM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 307 Posts

I have nothing against drag racing but I will say that I truly hate how it's used as the "definitive" measure of performance for a car. Too many people put so much stock in 0-60 and 1/4 mile times instead of the measurements that really matter in a sports car designed to compete with the likes of the 911 and company. Rolling start acceleration is more important than standing start, braking is more important, under/over steer tendencies are more important, cornering grip is more important. But for every argument everyone likes to spout off 0-60 and 1/4 times as if those are the only things that make a sports car a sports car.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:07 PM
GNC7
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermassive
I have nothing against drag racing but I will say that I truly hate how it's used as the "definitive" measure of performance for a car. Too many people put so much stock in 0-60 and 1/4 mile times instead of the measurements that really matter in a sports car designed to compete with the likes of the 911 and company. Rolling start acceleration is more important than standing start, braking is more important, under/over steer tendencies are more important, cornering grip is more important. But for every argument everyone likes to spout off 0-60 and 1/4 times as if those are the only things that make a sports car a sports car.
Reason being 9 out of 10 people on the street will only ever do a quick stab of the throttle and do a quick 0-60 and let out. No one is going to dive into a turn braking at the last possible moment, take the apex into oncoming traffic, and then floor it out of the turn. WILL NEVER HAPPEN ON THE STREET. Thats why most people just care about 0-60 and general acceleration numbers. Thats all you can really pull off on the street (legally). Thats why so much stock is put into it. Its a 9 out of 10 thing. Thats all
Old 11-17-2013, 09:51 PM
marktsmith
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

"Is it expensive, yes. As an instructor I usually get free track time but the consumable charges can get pretty staggering if you decide to run more than a stock car on street tires. If you keep the stock brakes and street tires you are off your maximum pace by a few seconds but still have the same amount of fun. You may only go through a corner at 100 mph Vs 105 but the car is still running at its or your limit which doesn't decrease the thrill factor. Never got an adrenaline high doing drag racing but I get one every time I head out on a road course. It is worse than being addicted to crack."

Bill, you are so correct. I remember the first time I got all apexed corners, hills, shifts, and acceleration correct for a whole lap at the old Riverside Raceway (S.CA). I just about cried !

I hope to put my 2013 Z06 on a track at some point. It will be stock, but it has the great suspension and brakes. So, I only have to avoid "brain fade".

Keep instructing. Teaching has it's great rewards. I'm sure there are numerous drivers out there that appreciate your assistance and advice.

I see I still can not understand how to correctly answer someone's message ?????

Mark.

Last edited by marktsmith; 11-17-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:15 AM
joenationwide
Racer

Originally Posted by Supermassive
Originally Posted by GNC7
Reason being 9 out of 10 people on the street will only ever do a quick stab of the throttle and do a quick 0-60 and let out. No one is going to dive into a turn braking at the last possible moment, take the apex into oncoming traffic, and then floor it out of the turn. WILL NEVER HAPPEN ON THE STREET. Thats why most people just care about 0-60 and general acceleration numbers. Thats all you can really pull off on the street (legally). Thats why so much stock is put into it. Its a 9 out of 10 thing. Thats all
I think this defines it for me. Just because 9 out of 10 people will only smash the throttle to experience a car's performance, doesn't mean they are incapable of understanding the depth of its overall performance. I mean, no one is comparing 1/4 times of F1 cars are they? So why is this some people's only yardstick to measure performance of a sports car? If the answer is because they value or measure a car based on if they could beat XYZ car from a stoplight, well that's pretty sad. This wouldn't bother me so much except that automakers are selling cars to a majority of ignorant buyers, even so called "car guys" who would make such remarks.

So everyone enjoy their car for what you do with it, drag race, autox, road race...I'd just wish more people could at least appreciate the complete performance capabilities of a car [like the C7].

Of course, I think I'm preaching to the choir, I think most people here get it.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:05 PM
GNC7
Instructor

Not every hot chick gets a stud to show her a good time. Dont let it upset you. Everyone is still having fun.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:31 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by 1320vetteran
So you really thing drag racing takes next to no skill? Just mash the throttle keep the wheel straight and hold on?
With a stick it takes the feel for your car and skills along with some good tires and track prep. The Auto is the same minus the skills part!
Old 11-24-2013, 10:14 AM
yuri_Stingray
Advanced

Exactly. I tried doing a little more once:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...c7-ticket.html
Old 11-24-2013, 12:07 PM
genv6.2gm
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on a boring friday night i can drive 30 min, pay $20, run my car against a few buddies, and be home by 10pm. Just a night day with no real expense or work involved.

Track days are expensive. HPDE are a lot more work, maintenance, licenses, risk of WRECK.

Last edited by genv6.2gm; 11-24-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:19 PM
Jim Barker
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by irvbulldogs72
Seriously? This is obvious. Price of entry and available free time.

Drag racing? I can spend 20 bucks and make 3 test and tune passes after work with the only prep being dropping my rear tire pressure. I fill it back up after I'm done and I'm home in time to watch the 10pm news. If HPDEs were that accessible, PLENTY of people, myself included, would partake.
Have you tried 35 to 40 in those runflats to keep the center of the tire planted. It seems like 26 would just lift the center away from the pavement, leaving outside black marks for a tire pattern. What do you think, thats the way it worked with the old wide ovals.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:47 AM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

I'm a lousy drag racer, but it's a good way to keep tabs on how well the car is running. If the car is down on power your lap times will suffer.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:30 AM
Agent White
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14

To answer the original question:
1) Because people are individuals and are attracted to different things (some like it on top and some prefer on bottom, etc.)
2) The Corvette is as much a competitive drag car as it is a paint swapper
3) A helluva lot of us think drag racing is fun

Old 12-05-2013, 01:49 PM
hklvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1320vetteran
So you really thing drag racing takes next to no skill? Just mash the throttle keep the wheel straight and hold on?
It does if you're bracket racing with a <100hp automatic car

As they say, different strokes for different folks...
Old 12-05-2013, 03:18 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

You mean that racing like in those Fast and the Furious movies isn't real?

There is a lot of truth in what you say though.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:26 PM
VADanno
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=JoesC5;1585394801] Look at Bowling Green, KY. Beech Bend drag strip has been around for decades. They are just now getting a road course, but it is being built with donations. QUOTE]

I am waiting until the Bowling Green road course is finished, and then I will order my C7. I plan on a day at the track will be part of my Museum delivery. I won't lap with my new car (no break in mileage on the diff and gearbox might ruin them...voice of experience here!), so I'd expect a C7 school car will be my ride of choice.

I'm a former pro road racer, and I will be taking my C7 to the drag strip at some point. I've never done it before, and want the experience. I started with road racing, and then did some autocrossing. Fun, but road racing is a better challenge of driver ability and car setup. I will buy dedicated tires and brakes for road course use, because lapping a heavy car like a C7 is going to use up a set of tires and pads in a day or two.

Get notified of new replies

To Why drag race a road course car?

Old 12-06-2013, 04:35 PM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by walhan_qtr
because you can??? LOL its whatever you like to do!! maybe for you drag racing is boring, but not at least 50% of the members here!

I also road race cars that were never intended for that purpose.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:36 PM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Rock'n Blue 08
With a stick it takes the feel for your car and skills along with some good tires and track prep. The Auto is the same minus the skills part!
There is a lot more than just stabbing the throttle and holding on for the ride, especially if you bracket race.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:51 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by chaase
There is a lot more than just stabbing the throttle and holding on for the ride, especially if you bracket race.
even though I'm a heads up guy.

Quick Reply: Why drag race a road course car?