C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Direct Injection Carbon Fouling?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 12:55 PM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default C7 Direct Injection Carbon Fouling?

My son had a Mazdaspeed 3 with direct injection and the intake valves carboned up. This has been a recurring problem with most Direct Injection engines because they don't have the washing effect of the fuel over the intake valves.

Has Chevy done anything in particular to keep this from happening to the new C7 engine?
Old 10-24-2013, 01:05 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Wait and see.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:06 PM
genv6.2gm
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there's been threads on this already. its called coking.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:38 PM
All_Motor_C5LS6
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by disc0monkey
there's been threads on this already. its called coking.
It's expensive to clean from my understanding

Walnut blasting will probably be the only solution

Last edited by All_Motor_C5LS6; 10-24-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:40 PM
familyman's C7
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

This has been a hot button subject for the Camaro community with their direct injected V-6's. PCV oil catch cans seem to be the solution.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:57 PM
All_Motor_C5LS6
Drifting

Originally Posted by mdmorgansr
This has been a hot button subject for the Camaro community with their direct injected V-6's. PCV oil catch cans seem to be the solution.
Hasn't helped Bimmer, Audi, Benz owners.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:08 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by All_Motor_C5LS6
Mercedes just switched to DI recently so it remains to be seen what they are about. I think GM is better at controlling DI side effects than BMW and Audi though. They specially designed the valve covers and PCV systems on the GenV motors to prevent the oil buildup from happening.

We'll just have to wait and see but I seriously doubt the LT1 will have the same problems as the MS3, BMW N54, or VW/Audi 2.0T/V6.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:39 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

=Kappa;1585257599They specially designed the valve covers and PCV systems on the GenV motors to prevent the oil buildup from happening.

We'll just have to wait and see but I seriously doubt the LT1 will have the same problems as the MS3, BMW N54, or VW/Audi 2.0T/V6.
And hope it's true.

Here's what has been posted before:

From the BASH:

Originally Posted by RC000E
Z51 car with MR has launch control

Dual mass flywheel actually is smaller and has less total mass than c6 flywheel

There was no validity to the claims of the unhackable ecu...they said like anything...it'll be hacked....probably

Can run on 87 octane but premium rec....same as usual

Like. I said earlier...they specifically said NO ethanol beyond 10% mixes

They said they DO have final power numbers and its more than 450...as we know

Rev match paddles on the wheel both do same thing...shut system on and off...thats it. Just a way to share steering wheel with auto cars

Residual build up from direct injection on intake valves is a non issue with lt1. Pcv system is two sided, and there are aggressive measures taken to relieve block pressure and handle oil vapor

Earlier Gen 5 News Release:

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
From the "Gen 5 Small Block Lubrication System" new release:

PCV-integrated rocker covers
One of the most distinctive features of the all-new Gen 5 engine is its domed rocker covers, which house a patent-pending integrated positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) system that enhances oil economy and oil life, while reducing oil consumption. It also contributes to low emissions for the Gen 5.

The rocker covers also hold the direct-mount ignition coils for the coil-near-plug ignition system. Between the individual coil packs, the domed sections of the covers contain baffles that separate oil and air from the crankcase gases – about three times the oil/air separation capability of previous engines. Each cover features an inlet and outlet path for the crankcase gases, with the separated oil dropping back onto the engine within the covers and the remaining air/gases circulated back into air intake stream for combustion. The system also prevents moisture from accumulating in the engine.

This integrated PCV system is an essential contributor of the Gen 5’s efficient performance and long-term durability – and the domes for it on the rocker covers make the Gen 5 engine instantly recognizable.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:48 PM
arghx7
Intermediate

I've posted about this in the Advanced section of a certain popular forum for LSx engines, but I'll repost some of that here with some additional detail.

To simplify, without port injectors washing and cooling the valves, the two things that cause the valve deposits are PCV-system crankcase vapors (from suspended oil droplets) and hot intake valves due to cam phasing. The newest generation DI engines have pretty elaborate air-oil separators from the factory that go through two or three stages of impactor plates, cyclonic separators, etc. So that helps a lot with PCV-related contributions to the buildup.

The other issue, which is often not fully understand, is EGR gases. It's obvious that gases from an external EGR valve can contribute to the problem. A lot of current production models don't have external EGR valves because they can get enough internal EGR for fuel economy and emissions by using cam phasing.

You know all those early Audi direct injected engines with valve deposit problems? Notice how they mostly had a single cam phaser on the intake side? The big issue is spitback of hot gases during valve overlap at part throttle. The solution to it is to stop opening the intake valve at the end of the exhaust stroke, while the piston is still rising. Newer DI engines are already doing this.

Here's some crappy MS Paint pics I made. First look at a sort of "textbook" valve timing diagram with made-up cam profiles having no overlap.

360 is TDC Intake, where the gas exchange occurs. Before 360 (looking to the left), the piston is rising at the end of the exhaust stroke. After 360 (looking to the right), the piston is moving downward on the intake stroke. Valve deposit-causing timing is below:

At cruising load, when pressure from exhaust gases in the chamber is higher than intake pressure, the hot gases spit out the intake valve. So now you have deposits of junk, especially soot (common on DI engines), and heat promoting adhesion of valve deposits. But what if I have an exhaust cam phaser and I want to try and avoid this spitback, like current Ford Ecoboost and Hyundai DI engines do?

We retard (or just park) the intake cam so that the intake valve opens after TDC, when the piston is falling. Then we retard the exhaust valve for internal EGR to improve fuel economy and emissions. Here's a published map of valve overlap position vs speed and load on a Ford Ecoboost 2.0 :

So how does this relate to the Gen V small block? I don't know the baseline cam specs off the top of my head, but with its simple cam phaser it can't dial in additional overlap like on a dual overhead cam engine. All the LT1 cam phaser can do is retard the intake valve opening and exhaust valve closing in equal increments, so the piston can't push hot exhaust gases back into the port. See below:

So in conclusion, if GM has the crankcase oil separation under control, and the valvetrain doesn't allow overlap before TDC intake, they've probably taken the proper precautions to limit valve deposits normally associated with DI engines.
Attached Images      

Last edited by arghx7; 10-24-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:18 PM
Stars_Fan
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by All_Motor_C5LS6
Not a surprise at all. They aren't exact known for reliability.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:49 AM
VIN666
Pro

Originally Posted by DCTandAWD?
Worst case scenario, run meth injection to clean the intake valves.
That's what I thought when I read the thread.
Is this a tried and true fix that allows you to run overlap cams?
Old 10-25-2013, 10:03 AM
genv6.2gm
Instructor

Originally Posted by VIN666
That's what I thought when I read the thread.
Is this a tried and true fix that allows you to run overlap cams?
We will be pushing new data and prospective solutions here. I don't see any current DI motors that will have as many cam swaps like this one will.

edit: Most other DI motors are subjected to being tuned more aggressively and increased boost.

now that this DI technology is in our arena it will take about five years to have the data to drive our community away from increasing cam size and overlap, but to add forced induction as the OEMs are doing...

Last edited by genv6.2gm; 10-25-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:16 AM
arghx7
Intermediate

We will be pushing new data and prospective solutions here. I don't see any current DI motors that will have as many cam swaps like this one will.

edit: Most other DI motors are subjected to being tuned more aggressively and increased boost.

now that this DI technology is in our arena it will take about five years to have the data to drive our community away from increasing cam size and overlap, but to add forced induction as the OEMs are doing...
Cam swaps are uncommon on other DI engines partly because there's less benefit to be gained. Unless I overlooked one, no other DI engine in production has fixed valve overlap like the Gen V. They can at the very least change the intake valve timing independent of the exhaust. Some of them have variable lift as well, like the Audi 2-step exhaust lift, BMW Valvetronic or Nissan VVEL technology. The technology to phase intake and exhaust separately on a pushrod engine already exists, but GM didn't want to pay for it. The current Viper is using it. It's been referred to as "cam within cam" technology.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:21 PM
All_Motor_C5LS6
Drifting

Originally Posted by DCTandAWD?
Worst case scenario, run meth injection to clean the intake valves.

Last edited by All_Motor_C5LS6; 10-25-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:26 PM
All_Motor_C5LS6
Drifting

Originally Posted by arghx7
I've posted about this in the Advanced section of a certain popular forum for LSx engines, but I'll repost some of that here with some additional detail.

To simplify, without port injectors washing and cooling the valves, the two things that cause the valve deposits are PCV-system crankcase vapors (from suspended oil droplets) and hot intake valves due to cam phasing. The newest generation DI engines have pretty elaborate air-oil separators from the factory that go through two or three stages of impactor plates, cyclonic separators, etc. So that helps a lot with PCV-related contributions to the buildup.

The other issue, which is often not fully understand, is EGR gases. It's obvious that gases from an external EGR valve can contribute to the problem. A lot of current production models don't have external EGR valves because they can get enough internal EGR for fuel economy and emissions by using cam phasing.

You know all those early Audi direct injected engines with valve deposit problems? Notice how they mostly had a single cam phaser on the intake side? The big issue is spitback of hot gases during valve overlap at part throttle. The solution to it is to stop opening the intake valve at the end of the exhaust stroke, while the piston is still rising. Newer DI engines are already doing this.

Here's some crappy MS Paint pics I made. First look at a sort of "textbook" valve timing diagram with made-up cam profiles having no overlap.

360 is TDC Intake, where the gas exchange occurs. Before 360 (looking to the left), the piston is rising at the end of the exhaust stroke. After 360 (looking to the right), the piston is moving downward on the intake stroke. Valve deposit-causing timing is below:

At cruising load, when pressure from exhaust gases in the chamber is higher than intake pressure, the hot gases spit out the intake valve. So now you have deposits of junk, especially soot (common on DI engines), and heat promoting adhesion of valve deposits. But what if I have an exhaust cam phaser and I want to try and avoid this spitback, like current Ford Ecoboost and Hyundai DI engines do?

We retard (or just park) the intake cam so that the intake valve opens after TDC, when the piston is falling. Then we retard the exhaust valve for internal EGR to improve fuel economy and emissions. Here's a published map of valve overlap position vs speed and load on a Ford Ecoboost 2.0 :

So how does this relate to the Gen V small block? I don't know the baseline cam specs off the top of my head, but with its simple cam phaser it can't dial in additional overlap like on a dual overhead cam engine. All the LT1 cam phaser can do is retard the intake valve opening and exhaust valve closing in equal increments, so the piston can't push hot exhaust gases back into the port. See below:

So in conclusion, if GM has the crankcase oil separation under control, and the valvetrain doesn't allow overlap before TDC intake, they've probably taken the proper precautions to limit valve deposits normally associated with DI engines.

Great Point! I guess only time will tell though.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:30 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I saw a presentation from one of the powertrain engineers who claimed that in all of their durability studies they never ran into any carbon accumulation issues.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:34 PM
genv6.2gm
Instructor

so with DI a singe solid cam is an advantage. then look for performance from displacement and lighter engine weight.

After personally moving from LSx platform to a smaller higher revving DOHC I will say its a great engine but it's not the cat's meow like everyone thinks DOHC is. and the mpgs are NOT better and off idle torque is not there. midrange torque and high end smoothness is better i will say.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Direct Injection Carbon Fouling?

Old 10-25-2013, 03:36 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

so with DI a singe solid cam is an advantage. then look for performance from displacement and lighter engine weight.

After personally moving from LSx platform to a smaller higher revving DOHC I will say its a great engine but it's not the cat's meow like everyone thinks DOHC is. and the mpgs are NOT better and off idle torque is not there. midrange torque and high end smoothness is better i will say.
Not sure what you are trying to say there with the second sentence, but there is nothing about a single cam that dual overhead cams can't do better, other than packaging efficiency.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:41 PM
genv6.2gm
Instructor

im saying that after all the hoopla for the last 15 years from ppl about how the LSx is like a dinosaur not having DOHC, i moved to a 2014 performance DOHC V8 from a LSX and didn't see what all the fuss what about. i noticed NO improved MPGs.

This was incomparison to a larger LS engine. I think think the larger displacement pushrod isn't at a disadvantage, especially when cam phasing results in coking.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:44 PM
genv6.2gm
Instructor

then look for performance from displacement and lighter engine weight.
this sentence means i would rather make up performance of a single cam with displacement and less weight than having DOHCs.

Quick Reply: C7 Direct Injection Carbon Fouling?