C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam question

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 12:02 PM
Blackdevil77
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Cam question

I know that the LT1 engine has a potent amount of low/mid range torque, about as much as an LS7 up to 4700rpm I believe it was. My question is, is there a cam design out there that is mild, almost "stealth" cam like that will retain the low end and mid range torque, while adding some decent power up top? I noticed by the dynographs that the hp drops off a bit after 6000/6200 rpms. I know Livernois does some fantastic work. I can't wait to see all the different Cam options and to see what a mild "stealth" cam should do to the power curve and what type of gains can be seen, WITHOUT any head work. I've had a nightmare of an experience having the cylinder heads removed. After 20k miles with the head work, the car would over heat because combustion gases were seeping into the coolant. For some reason, this caused the coolant to NOT be drawn back into the radiator after the coolant cooled down and eventually, the overflow would in fact, overflow and eventually the car would run low on coolant and overheat. To figure out that was the cause of the problem was such a nightmare, it drove me insane. We tried everything under the sun until we figured out that was the problem. That's basically why I want to refrain from removing the heads. Personal horrible experience.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:20 PM
Frans96ss
Le Mans Master

Received 352 Likes on 210 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Blackdevil77
I know that the LT1 engine has a potent amount of low/mid range torque, about as much as an LS7 up to 4700rpm I believe it was. My question is, is there a cam design out there that is mild, almost "stealth" cam like that will retain the low end and mid range torque, while adding some decent power up top? I noticed by the dynographs that the hp drops off a bit after 6000/6200 rpms. I know Livernois does some fantastic work. I can't wait to see all the different Cam options and to see what a mild "stealth" cam should do to the power curve and what type of gains can be seen, WITHOUT any head work. I've had a nightmare of an experience having the cylinder heads removed. After 20k miles with the head work, the car would over heat because combustion gases were seeping into the coolant. For some reason, this caused the coolant to NOT be drawn back into the radiator after the coolant cooled down and eventually, the overflow would in fact, overflow and eventually the car would run low on coolant and overheat. To figure out that was the cause of the problem was such a nightmare, it drove me insane. We tried everything under the sun until we figured out that was the problem. That's basically why I want to refrain from removing the heads. Personal horrible experience.

There is cams out than can do that. Where are you located.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:27 PM
Blackdevil77
Drifting

Originally Posted by Frans96ss
There is cams out than can do that. Where are you located.
I'm on Long Island in New York, but am willing to travel to a reputable place if necessary. There really is no rush, I don't even have the car yet. I just want to learn as much as possible. I am absolutely LOVING what I am hearing/reading so far.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:02 PM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Check with the Vette Doctors in Amityville to see what they have going on. I know they had one in the shop already for the some dyno pulls.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:07 PM
Blackdevil77
Drifting

Originally Posted by chaase
Check with the Vette Doctors in Amityville to see what they have going on. I know they had one in the shop already for the some dyno pulls.
I'm familiar with the place. They're right next to American Racing Headers, which I had installed by them on my last car. That spot is Corvette heaven lol.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:46 PM
Frans96ss
Le Mans Master

Received 352 Likes on 210 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I'm on Long Island in New York, but am willing to travel to a reputable place if necessary. There really is no rush, I don't even have the car yet. I just want to learn as much as possible. I am absolutely LOVING what I am hearing/reading so far.
feel free to give us a call. We can get you taken care of. I picked up my C7 last week.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:01 AM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Frans96ss
feel free to give us a call. We can get you taken care of. I picked up my C7 last week.
do you have anything for the C7 yet Fran? I am interested!
Old 10-25-2013, 11:01 AM
Jason 98 TA
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

There will be some smaller LT camshafts that will still be AFM friendly no problem. My advise to you is give a few weeks for people to line out packages. The packages that are rushed out to customers will most likely be down on power from packages that have some extra time to be proofed/adjusted. We have several camshafts going, but I dont want to sell anyone anything until I'm happy with the camshafts meeting their max potential.

Jason
Old 10-25-2013, 02:55 PM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA
There will be some smaller LT camshafts that will still be AFM friendly no problem. My advise to you is give a few weeks for people to line out packages. The packages that are rushed out to customers will most likely be down on power from packages that have some extra time to be proofed/adjusted. We have several camshafts going, but I dont want to sell anyone anything until I'm happy with the camshafts meeting their max potential.

Jason

what does it take to delete AFM? tune only? I am interested in a cam kit if you guys will sell me one. I don't need it to be the most powerful cam I don't mind a mild setup. yes max potential is great, but really want to get a cam asap.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:44 PM
danf1000
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The history of AFM delete requires a new valley plate, new valley plate gasket or a modified gasket, new lifters (8 of em) and new lifter guides. Camshaft replacement often requires new springs as well, and probably pushrods.

The hardware requirements are to replace weak AFM lifters with hi-po parts and reroute the oil circulation to bypass AFM function.

Yes, a tune is required, but not more than a switch or two to shut the AFM off. Hardware cost of Camaro/G8 AFM delete, as I recall, was around 1200 for cam and springs, lifters, valley plate, gaskets, pushrods..... Cheap. And don't worry about the loss of MPG; by the time you provide for a performance oriented build and computer tune with high flow and efficiency, you will achieve the same or more MPG (as long as your cam selection is sensible to this goal).

My 427 cubic inch Pontiac G8 does 24 MPG freeway.

The new block might have additional requirements, but I doubt it will be extensively different from above. In order to change the lifters on older architecture, the heads had to come off. Who knows about the C7, maybe, maybe not!!

Last edited by danf1000; 10-25-2013 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:03 AM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by danf1000
The history of AFM delete requires a new valley plate, new valley plate gasket or a modified gasket, new lifters (8 of em) and new lifter guides. Camshaft replacement often requires new springs as well, and probably pushrods.

The hardware requirements are to replace weak AFM lifters with hi-po parts and reroute the oil circulation to bypass AFM function.

Yes, a tune is required, but not more than a switch or two to shut the AFM off. Hardware cost of Camaro/G8 AFM delete, as I recall, was around 1200 for cam and springs, lifters, valley plate, gaskets, pushrods..... Cheap. And don't worry about the loss of MPG; by the time you provide for a performance oriented build and computer tune with high flow and efficiency, you will achieve the same or more MPG (as long as your cam selection is sensible to this goal).

The new block might have additional requirements, but I doubt it will be extensively different from above. In order to change the lifters on older architecture, the heads had to come off. Who knows about the C7, maybe, maybe not!!
most likely the heads does have to come of. but I just wasnt sure about what parts you need to do the AFM delete especially with a new motor! MPG is the last of my worries. from what I have heard, head bolts is not available. I talked to couple guys and they were saying it will be a little while before you can order those. Not sure if LMR/TSP are reusing the head bolts currently for their testing?

either way I do want a cam kit... probably contact LMR on Monday to see what they can do for me!
Old 10-26-2013, 12:12 AM
danf1000
Intermediate

torque to yield head and crank bolts are a requirement as well...

they prob went down to the hardware store and picked up some grade 8.. haha
Old 10-26-2013, 09:04 AM
Blackdevil77
Drifting

Originally Posted by danf1000

Are you on Grrrr8.net? Sounds like you have a hell of a G8. With labor, I paid about $3600 bucks for the AFM delete on my G8 GT, and that's with sending the heads to Livernois for a CNC valve job. I'm just terribly afraid of removing the heads now after what happened. I know it's probably somewhat of an irrational fear, but it still happened and still sucked. Maybe it could be do to my guy installing thinner head gaskets to bump the compression.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:32 PM
danf1000
Intermediate

Are you on Grrrr8.net? Sounds like you have a hell of a G8. With labor, I paid about $3600 bucks for the AFM delete on my G8 GT, and that's with sending the heads to Livernois for a CNC valve job. I'm just terribly afraid of removing the heads now after what happened. I know it's probably somewhat of an irrational fear, but it still happened and still sucked. Maybe it could be do to my guy installing thinner head gaskets to bump the compression.
As typical on a forum, i ran afoul with the inner circle at GRRR8.....

After review i coulda tamed it down, but Chucks BFFs insinuated a whupass....

Back to topic! Kids, get rid of AFM, and change your cam to a sensible street cam, where overlap at .050 is less than 8 degrees.

My G8 has 40K on the short block and is still running strong. Cars are glass, steel, aluminum, and plastic. Feel free to get educated, get a wrench, and get started!

Last edited by danf1000; 10-26-2013 at 08:37 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Cam question

Quick Reply: Cam question