C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Z51 - Hennessey, Callaway or Lingenfelter

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 11:37 PM
Theo Harris
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
Instead of dropping $20-30K in that C7, just drive it and start off w/ the high powered model in another year. You will still have good trade value on your '14 C7.

My opinion is that you take the easy mods but call it quits after that because it gets exponentially more expensive while reliability decreases with every mile and dollar spent.

Also, IMO, FI of any kind ruins a car for track use. Everyone I know that runs factory FI at the track, overheats. Everyone I know that runs aftermarket FI at the track, eventually breaks.

Also, location is everything and you should work with someone local on this project because there WILL be issues.

My advise is: if you can be happy with around 500 reliable rwhp than your C7 will respond great to: CNC heads, cam, exhaust, intake, and tuning. And more importantly it will be a good reliable automobile (not to mention lighter).

If you must have more, just save your money for the C7Z06. It's going to be a better starting point for big hp. It's going to come with wider wheels and a more robust engine. And it might even already be FI which will make it stupid easy to gain hp.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Sound advise!

I purchase a $40,000 Subaru STI started tracking the car 3 years ago, invested an additional $40,000 in performance parts, got tired of being the research and development team of my car, sold it for $32,000 to the Chevy dealer and I purchased my C7 Z51. My wife's advise (she also tracks the car with me) was do not mess with this one. Get good at it, become a better driver and in a couple years upgrade with the Z07
Old 10-15-2013, 09:58 AM
LT1xL82
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Theo Harris
Sound advise!

I purchase a $40,000 Subaru STI started tracking the car 3 years ago, invested an additional $40,000 in performance parts, got tired of being the research and development team of my car, sold it for $32,000 to the Chevy dealer and I purchased my C7 Z51. My wife's advise (she also tracks the car with me) was do not mess with this one. Get good at it, become a better driver and in a couple years upgrade with the Z07
Yikes! I guess I should start listening to my wife. Your wife obviously knows what she is talking about.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:51 AM
VIN666
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a highly modified turbo car, I own NA cars.
Don't have one with a blower, but I would imagine its pros and cons are right between those of NA and turbo.
If you are looking for peak numbers and bragging rights. Maybe roll racing and occasional drag strip usage - Turbo. Second to non in the peak power department.
In my humble opinion, a blower is a waste of time. Because if I want more reliable power, I'd go built NA engine, if I want high numbers, turbo.
Once I'll have my C7 (which will be a while), it'll get heads, cam, headers, maybe a stroker kit. We'll see. That should make for the ultimate track breast.|
There's nothing like the drivability and throttle response of a built NA engine. Absolutely nothing. Everything else will have more lag and be prone to having heat issues...
Just my 0.02.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:13 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by Theo Harris
Sound advise!

Those of us that have blown $30K+ plus on modifying a vehicle, usually live to regret it.

I dropped about $60K in to a diesel truck. What a waste of cash. I spent so many weekends dealing with issues related to bad parts and bad service. In the end, I sold it for $19K and was thrilled about it. I just wanted it gone.

Like I said, light mods are cool, but going whole hog will just about always result in a problem child car. And anyone that has been there knows this.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:41 PM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Instead of dropping $20-30K in that C7, just drive it and start off w/ the high powered model in another year. You will still have good trade value on your '14 C7.

My opinion is that you take the easy mods but call it quits after that because it gets exponentially more expensive while reliability decreases with every mile and dollar spent.

Also, IMO, FI of any kind ruins a car for track use. Everyone I know that runs factory FI at the track, overheats. Everyone I know that runs aftermarket FI at the track, eventually breaks.

Also, location is everything and you should work with someone local on this project because there WILL be issues.

My advise is: if you can be happy with around 500 reliable rwhp than your C7 will respond great to: CNC heads, cam, exhaust, intake, and tuning. And more importantly it will be a good reliable automobile (not to mention lighter).

If you must have more, just save your money for the C7Z06. It's going to be a better starting point for big hp. It's going to come with wider wheels and a more robust engine. And it might even already be FI which will make it stupid easy to gain hp.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Blowers are for the drag strip, N/A if you want to hit the road course. I would also run the car stock for a while to learn the car and what it really needs on a road course. My opinion is power should be added last. Do what you can to make your self a better driver and what will make the car handle and brake better. Once you have gotten to that point, then look to add power because those items are what are slowing you down initially, not the HP level of the car.

This is coming from a person that runs the 24 Hours of LeMons. My stints on the track are for 2-2.5 hours at a time. It is a full on race, not the nice, polite track events where you only pass on straights, etc. Our car has won its class and it is one of the "slowest" cars out there. We win because the car is reliable, handles well, has good, solid braking and we know the car and its limits.

Last edited by chaase; 10-15-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:50 AM
mesospeedy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, so I'm gonna throw my opinion in on a few things. As far as regretting modifying a car goes, I've been there done that. The ONLY time I've regretted spending the money modding my 98Z28 is now, because I'm selling it, and of course you never get the mod money back when you sell. The last 5 years of having a highly modded car has been a blast, and worth the time and money it took to get it there, lots of enjoyment had from it!

Now, to the smart a$$ who posted earlier, do you personally know the OP? If not then why do you assume that he needs more driving skills instead of a faster car? For all you know he could have the ability to make Johnny O'Connell look like a beginner. He asked between the 3 companies which is best. Why can't people simply answer a man's question without being so s#!tty about it?!?!? I agree, too much hp can get you in trouble at the track, but if you know how to use it, it ain't a bad thing to have! A lot of people assume because you like speed that you will ease thru the corners then blast down the straights. Some people, this is true. But you can't automatically throw everyone in this category.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:54 AM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Forget all three of those places.

You are in texas correct? Take it to Dallas Performance, PERIOD.... You wont find a better shop.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:39 AM
Shodanusmc
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 91 Posts

Callaway from an authorized Chevy Dealer.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:16 PM
Quillinzo6
Navigator

Dallas Performance for sure!
Old 10-16-2013, 01:17 PM
0MikePeters@Hennessey
Former Vendor

If you want to check out our shop, you can actually somewhat do it on a lunch break thanks to Car Crazy and YouTube

Modding your car will depend on what you want to do with the car. We're all car guys and like cool stuff, obviously you gain a lot of cool points going with a twin-turbo build (How many people can say they have that?), but the supercharged applications work great as well, and since they are mechanically driven by the engine at any operational speed they're pretty reliable, with no couplers/piping/extra oiling systems etc.

Although a Twin-Turbo car built by a reputable shop that offers a warranty and has been in business for over 20 years, will run just like a car built by a firm that has been open for 20 years and is able to warranty their twin-turbo cars.

We'd love to build a car, and talk about the best fit for your build, as well as tell you places to go enjoy your car in a safe-controlled environment similar to our on-site test track, which we are the only tuner in North America with our own track on-site as well.

If you have any questions on what we'll be offering anyone is more than welcome to contact us, at 979.885.1300, or me directly at 713.650.5341, or mikep@hennesseyperformance.com.

Building the best car for anyone as stated in this thread really depends on what they're wanting to do.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:09 PM
Detoxx03
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 245 Posts

You're in Dallas OP do yourself a favor and go to Dallas Performance. You'll get more for your money and it will be done right.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:42 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SlammedC7
Shop by goals, reputation, and the ratio of mod cost to resale value. The 3 you listed are good shops. However, other companies can get you the results, have good reputations, but will cost less( sell for less as well I suppose). I think the smaller shops that come to mind are LG and Pfadt. Both make body, power, and suspension parts. They can manufacture, install, a complete package that will reach your specific goals. Why go to a company that will be reselling other parts. Just work with the company that makes the parts..they will know how to combine them and create a super car better than anyone. Just my .02
Based on your goals, one of our P-series kits would be an ideal choice. Refusing to focus only on peak numbers and using unreliable methods to achieve them, our P-series of C7's are designed with the focus on riveting but reliable power, oem quality fit & finish, and providing a comprehensive solution to creating a C7 supercar. The goal of each package is to elevate every function of the C7 to that of its elite rivals. Expect to see world-class:

Power and acceleration
Handling and Racing
Comfort and styling

Your C7 will be in a league of its own. As an engineering firm with a background in aerodynamics, suspension design, and power products, we are able to elevate your C7 with unrivaled performance and reliability.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:49 PM
c7luvr
Racer

I would definitely go with Hennessey if you're not looking for any headaches and a high quality job. There's a reason Hennessey is #1, because of customer satisfaction!
Old 11-05-2013, 01:03 PM
K B Vettin
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

21st century muscle cars is in Dallas, call or stop by and talk to Matt. they have C7 that they are doing testing on now. they are a LPE authorized dealer, they did a build on my ZR1 just last month and i couldnt be happier and i drove from San Diego CA!
I would go blower over TT
Old 11-05-2013, 05:03 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by DDSLT5
My Mother taught me that a fool and his money are soon parted. I've given you sound advice, but as I said above, I know there's no way you'll ever take that advice. Go spend your money foolishly - be sure to post up here with all your complaints and story of 'woe is me, my car doesn't work right, waaaaaaaa'.

Oh - and STFU n00b.

1. If you mod your car, you WILL LOSE MONEY, it doesn't matter what company you choose.

2. Drive the car, take it to the strip, show some numbers, enjoy it, enjoy modding it.

3. SEE #1
Old 11-05-2013, 05:04 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by c7luvr
I would definitely go with Hennessey if you're not looking for any headaches and a high quality job. There's a reason Hennessey is #1, because of customer satisfaction!
You are joking right?
Old 11-05-2013, 06:56 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like I said, light mods are cool, but going whole hog will just about always result in a problem child car. And anyone that has been there knows this.
The voice of experience is always the best advice

(don't ask why I agree )

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Z51 - Hennessey, Callaway or Lingenfelter

Old 11-05-2013, 07:06 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,458 Likes on 2,274 Posts

I've had Katech and Callaway modded vettes. Both were/are completely trouble-free, performed as promised, on budget and time. Great cars. I'd trust LPE, LG, Dallas perf as well, tho I haven't dealt with them (I know folks who have and have gotten great results).

I wouldn't send my lawn mower to the other one.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:20 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by c7luvr
You're still around? Did you miss the post where Hennessey doesn't want you promoting their product? The one saying if you worked for them they would shank you?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1585344093-post10.html

As far as what tuner, I would do ample research on all the vendors and pick which one suits your budget as well as which one you feel more comfortable with.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:25 PM
Detoxx03
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
You are joking right?
Sadly I think he's serious.

Quick Reply: C7 Z51 - Hennessey, Callaway or Lingenfelter