C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Edmunds Comparison Test: C7 vs. Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 04:38 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottNC
Of course they are. It's all the same game. Car companies have to market their product, car mags have to put out content that helps the company market. In turn, the companies pay the mag for ads, they also get certain other benefits like getting cars loaned to them to 'test', getting invites to events, exclusive interviews/access to new products...etc. etc. They depend on each other in many ways. They all play the same game, and that game is making money. Chevy has to play the same game, in the same league that Porsche plays in, even though they know they are well behind the 8 ball when it comes to the high performance sports car market.
Well behind? I thought objective performance were all that mattered. That should have vaulted them to the head of the market (and the Viper ACR as well).
I noticed you didn't answer my question: Have you personally been invited (or hired in) to critique a manufacture's car during development? Spare me the lecture about making money. I already know that relationship. But neither side is going to be making any money if the cars aren't built and sold and that requires input from consumer$.

Sorry, I am not letting you speak for me. No, I am not 'championing' any side, and no, there is no 'theory' that I subscribe to in regards to journalist testing.
Of course subjective traits are important...
Now, whether or not 'touchy feeley' traits should be considered in journalist testing of the cars - that's another story entirely.
But really, there aren't that many 'purely objective' product tests done in any market.
Maybe there aren't many purely objective product tests done in any market, perhaps because consumers don't look at them purely from an objective point of view. If they did, there would never be any variety.
I didn't ask you to speak for me. I asked if you agreed. Sheesh!!
And that has been my point all along. Why you continue to badger me (and not those of the opposing viewpoint) suggests you have taken sides.

Personally I think reviews like the ongoing C7 vs. ## series are rather pointless. One car wins on every measurable, yet the other car 'wins' the 'comparison'. This tells you nothing other than 'hey get down to the dealership and test it yourself'. What did we learn?
In one, the vette wins even though it's slower, in one the vette loses even though it's faster. All that tells me is that these guys insert enough 'subjectiveness' into their reviews to give them the leeway to have any out they want in any given situation/review.
Or maybe some manufacturers do a better job of appealing to the things that they really like and can appreciate more often (which doesn't include 10/10ths track testing). That doesn't sound so out of line with how most consumers buy them, and how most manufacturers have responded to consumers' needs.

Pretty pointless if you ask me. I think they should have a methodology, assign weights to different aspects with regards to objective/subjective categories, present your methodology, then start testing. I think one or two of the mags already do this, but not entirely sure.
Some mags do, and whenever the Corvette loses, people still cry foul. Enough so that C&D even published this:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...omparo-feature
So there is no theory that you subscribe to with respect to journalist testing, other than to complain that they interject too much subjectivity (on a sliding scale that you can't even define) and are just pointless, and that you disagree with their results. Ok.

No, you asked me which car was the most popular weekend track car.
That's not all I asked you. I also asked you:
"The Cadillac has higher numbers, but which do you think is more fun?"

Whether or not the CTS-V is a better 'track' car than a Miata would depend on the track times of both on different tracks. I have no idea how they compare, but I would assume the CTS-V blows the miata away on any larger track, or really anything other than autocross.
You have no idea how they compare...so why not consider the opinions of those who have driven them both? The CTS-V did blow away the Miata on the larger track, but that could be due more to its massive power and torque advantage. Not because it takes corners marginally faster.
Track times are all that is required to assess what a good track car is? Again, I'm talking about using a road car for the track (HPDE type stuff), not using a bone stock production car for racing.

I disagree completely with this. I would say there are more M3s (from newer as well as older generations) tracking than Boxsters.
I didn't say anything about which car is more popular at the track. I said some people buy Boxsters and use them on the track even though for a similar price, they could have gotten and used an M3 instead. Not sure how you can "disagree completely" with that. Of course older generations will be out there. They are generally cheaper, not to mention they've been in production longer than Boxsters.

And there are fewer of these at a track than CTS-Vs. What is your point?
Sure there are. I'd wager a 'Ring cam would show far more Boxsters/Caymans on track than CTS-Vs. The Porsche clubs run many events at many tracks all across the US...how many Cadillac clubs do the same? There is even a spec Boxster class:
http://www.boxsterspecracing.org/bsrrules.html
Where's the one for the CTS-V?
My point is people will buy a car within a market (low-slung sports car), even if it is objectively slower than a car in another market (tall sedan).

I never said anything about what Corvette buyers do with their cars. I merely stated that most P car buyers don't buy a P car to 'drive'.
How can I be sure?
Common sense and experience.
Then why do you think objective differences mean so much (your basis for criticizing mag tests, remember), considering Corvette buyers spec up cars in ways that don't maximize objective performance?
As for common sense, I can't even get you to answer this question:
"Do those reasons seem reasonable to you, for why the BMW placed lower in a test designed to find the best driver's car?"

Last edited by Guibo; 10-02-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:44 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Pointing out logical fallacy and poor debating tactics isn't attacking. I'm sorry you feel that way.
There is no answer to illogical and/or subjective assertions that aren't backed up with fact.
Yes you would. The one thing you have clearly shown this board is that you exist here only to stir the pot.
You never present points, you merely oppose points. I could say the same about the other guy who has the same tendencies.
I don't consider asking if there is merit to what GM (and Lotus, Ferrari, Porsche, BMW, Jaguar, etc.) wants in a car is "logical fallacy." It's a legitimate question.
I don't exist here only to stir the pot. Another false statement.
I've presented points that subjectivity matters. It matters to manufacturers, customers, and journalists.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:44 PM
VIN666
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the Vette beat the Viper, the Cayman S beat the Vette.
Does that mean the Cayman S is a better driver´s car than the Viper?
Old 10-02-2013, 04:50 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Jawnathin

I'm not sure where the idea that the BRZ/FRS/Cayman aren't challenging to drive. Must be from folks that haven't had the opportunity to drive one in a competitive environment. These are momentum cars and maintaining that speed is extremely challenging and rewarding. I have to work hard to eek out as much MPH out of a corner as I can because they don't have the crutch of prodigious horsepower to make up that speed.

The BRZ, FRS, and Cayman are VERY intuitive cars. They speak VERY clearly about what they're doing and responds exactly the way you want them to in a way that is predictable and engaging. You feel like each tire/corner of the car is talking to you, you can manage your inputs to get the car to do what you want it to do and the chassis/balance is good enough to make it happen.

One of the weaknesses with the C6 is that it isn't very intuitive. Fast? Absolutely, but not so easy to hop in and go. I've had the car long enough to understand what it is going to do, but it took a bit of seat time and some trial and error before I figured it out. I wouldn't call it bad or unpredictable, but it isn't what I'd call intuitive. I too enjoy the challenge of managing a car with this level of performance. I love the thrill of an epic exhaust note and kick out the rear tires anytime I want. But it doesn't communicate in the way my BRZ, RX8, and Miata had before and I think the Corvette would be better if it did.

Trust me, I love Corvettes, my Z06 is one of the best cars I've ever owned, its performance is unbelievable, but the BRZ and other similar cars in the right environment can be more fun to drive even if they are slower. They're different cars with different strengths and are excellent in their own way, but even though one has 3x the HP and far faster than the other, it is more even than you'd think.

If speed and lateral G is all that mattered and nothing else, then you'd be better off in a GT-R which prioritizes lap times over any type of driver involvement.
Thanks for that insight.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:53 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvetteFerrariFTW
First of all, have you driven either the Ferrari or 12C? Second, he specifically said the 12C felt numb to him. He is never quoted as saying that about the 458.

Now, I can find you two race car drivers who feel differently regarding the 458, Randy Pobst (see MT BDC) and Tony Gaples (http://www.examiner.com/article/ferr...rs-perspective). How the car makes a person feel is subjective. Different strokes for different folks, even for pro race car drivers.
The 12C felt like a faster GTR to me. It has so much nannies its freaky. And I have owned a 458 for couple weeks. None of them could net even half the thrill I'm getting in either my GT2 or my fathers Z06. Perhaps I had higher expectation for both cars than I should of had which led to my frustration...

I agree about the subjective part. And now when GT2 and GT3 having PDK transmission only...What choice do we have.......?
Old 10-02-2013, 04:55 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by VIN666
Nothings a better drivers car than a Porsche Cayman S. What comes out of the mouths of the journalists = Word of God. Period.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:58 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by VIN666
Seemed to be the consensus when Motor Trend tested them together:
http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...r/viewall.html
Old 10-02-2013, 05:13 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Lets go!

TC helps keep excessive truck torque, cold tires, and/or road/track conditions from biting! They should keep it "ON" if need be when testing and shut the "F" up about it, and the Vette would then do better!

Using the aircraft metaphorical statment was similar to one I made a while back. Well done!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 10-02-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:27 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Guibo
If there are numerous than you should be able to find at least two. Make sure they say the 911 is less of a driver's car because of it too.

They don't get a pass. It's because the Cayman's power is properly matched to what the chassis can do. Chris Harris doesn't seem to have problems getting it sideways when he wants:
2013 Porsche Cayman S Thrashed - /CHRIS HARRIS ON CARS - YouTube
Obviously, if you're going to be attacking the Nurburgring with its 100 mph average speeds (have you?), then the Toyobarus will seem underpowered. But on the road, where conditions and visibility limit your pace, that's less of an issue. It has no problems overpowering its tires here:
2013 Scion FR-S Drifting by Patrick Cyr - YouTube

The electronics don't re-write anything about the rules of physics. They just require us to think beyond simplistic power/wt ratios; they are simply using the rules of physics that previously hadn't been employed before.
As for the GT-R, only the AWD is not defeatable (as well as the ABS, but that's true for practically all cars). It sets its fastest times on the Nurburgring with the stability/traction systems off.
Combat planes...the analogy seems to apply to various Ferraris and to the F12 in particular. Autocar, Motor Trend, and TopGear didn't give the F12 a free pass on that. Why do you think they would give it to Porsche? Oh, that's right: The point your missing is that the Cayman/911 doesn't appear to knife its partner in the back, even with the stability/traction systems off.
What happened to me???? Why, after reading these interminable tomes you are so GIDDY about writing, would I get involved in a thread that you seem hell bent on dominating.

So, I DEFER (and):

I bow down to GUIBO
I don't know as much as GUIBO
I certainly don't have enough time to debate GUIBO

Boys, he's all yours. I have to go clean my combs (or something equally important).

Jimmy

PS. What I DO know is that I have driven most of the cars that have been discussed in this thread and after 4 decades of driving SPORTS cars, I am not inclined to go dig up what Pat Bedard wrote about the 930 Turbo/etc just to make a point on an internet forum.

Last edited by jimmyb; 10-02-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:48 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Not to mention that the number is what gives the largest impressions..all this touchy feeley crap about *how* it delivers lateral G... um ..ok whatever. I'll take the faster lap, and I'm pretty sure most others who buy a sports car to drive it would too.
The comment you were addressing had to do with road driving, in which case faster lap is largely irrelevant. Or are you talking about only those who drive on a track? If that were true, most other sports car buyers would only choose one car (the fastest one), but we know that's not true.
The largest impression is not the number. The context definitely matters (you in the passenger seat vs you in the driver's seat taking control). By the same token, the car that pulls the higher g reading but tells you nothing about how it behaves when you breach the 0.05 g higher level could leave the greatest of all impressions: bodywork crumpled into the guardrail or mountainside.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:49 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,187 Posts

Maybe it is low. Seems it can be done for $1500-1800. $2200 with a clutch replacement while everything is apart.
http://986forum.com/forums/performan...nt-survey.html

You're not going to retrofit Porsche quality into your Corvette for $2k.
..............and thank God we can't! Why in the world would we want +/- $2k engine work after +/- 30k miles? SBC Chevy engines have been known to last 200k + miles!
Old 10-02-2013, 05:51 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jimmyb
What happened to me???? Why, after reading these interminable tomes you are so GIDDY about writing, would I get involved in a thread that you seem hell bent on dominating.

So, I DEFER (and):

I bow down to GUIBO
I don't know as much as GUIBO
I certainly don't have enough time to debate GUIBO

Boys, he's all yours. I have to go clean my combs (or something equally important).

Jimmy

PS. What I DO know is that I have driven literally EVERY car that has been discussed in this thread and after 4 decades of driving SPORTS cars, I am not inclined to go dig up what Pat Bedard wrote about the 930 Turbo/etc just to make a point on an internet forum.
Not dominating. Just discussing here. Chill out.
Sure you have.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:53 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
..............and thank God we can't! Why in the world would we want +/- $2k engine work after +/- 30k miles? SBC Chevy engines have been known to last 200k + miles!
And some much shorter than that *cough*LS7.
I'm talking about the quality as were discussing it before (interior, fit & finish, panel gaps, etc).
Old 10-02-2013, 06:13 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I stopped reading after the very first phrase of the article "Forget the numbers and know this: The 2014 Porsche...."

Okay, to be completely honest I continued and read a total of 2.5 lines of the article before closing it.

What a dumb statement "forget about the numbers." How convenient. Porsche sucks when it comes to numbers (relative to the C7) so as a result we should forget about the numbers lol.

Not worth my time to read the rest of the article.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:40 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by Achmed
I stopped reading after the very first phrase of the article "Forget the numbers and know this: The 2014 Porsche...."

Okay, to be completely honest I continued and read a total of 2.5 lines of the article before closing it.

What a dumb statement "forget about the numbers." How convenient. Porsche sucks when it comes to numbers (relative to the C7) so as a result we should forget about the numbers lol.

Not worth my time to read the rest of the article.
"forget the numbers", Ya gotta love that one. That is the Porsche humpers usual response unless there is a unique instance where the Porsche has a good # of sorts and then it is an entirely different story!

The import lovers have resorted to praising their overpriced, underpowered, Corvette competitors for the seat stitching or the quality of their cup holders. The best is when these guys come off with idiotic remarks like "The Porsche just feels better". These guys just never give up praising the imports in a defacto attempt to downgrade the C7. The C7 is their worst nightmare come true. They know it and hate it.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:03 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Gots to Love it!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...rburgring.html

(Post 83 to 111 is a classic!)

Especially notice when the MPSCs come in and how someone drops out! Classic!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 10-02-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:27 PM
CorvetteFerrariFTW
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavender
The 12C felt like a faster GTR to me. It has so much nannies its freaky. And I have owned a 458 for couple weeks. None of them could net even half the thrill I'm getting in either my GT2 or my fathers Z06. Perhaps I had higher expectation for both cars than I should of had which led to my frustration...

I agree about the subjective part. And now when GT2 and GT3 having PDK transmission only...What choice do we have.......?
Do you say that because the GT2 and GT3 (will) offer only a DCT? You prefer a manual or you just like th cars better?

Get notified of new replies

To Edmunds Comparison Test: C7 vs. Cayman S

Old 10-02-2013, 10:34 PM
Paws
Burning Brakes

Received 509 Likes on 241 Posts

Edmunds can suck eggs !!!!! The C7 is the superior car even if the Porsche's price were 25K less (which it's not)..... not to mention the MUCH higher maintenance costs.
Jaded, biased reporting... JMHO
Old 10-02-2013, 11:16 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,187 Posts

And some much shorter than that *cough*LS7.
I'm talking about the quality as were discussing it before (interior, fit & finish, panel gaps, etc).

What - so mechanical reliability isn't an indicator of quality? Let's all just sit on leather couches instead.................

LS7? - what we're talking about here in relation to the Autoweek article is base model 911s and Boxsters, not the ZO6/LS7 comparable GT2s,GT3s, and Turbos. Try reading the article - the base model Pcars are what's included in the class action law suit.

So, the applicable comparison is base model cars/engines. The 911 discussed in the article had its engine fail after 26k miles. Some Porsche quality that is.......

I know you're a stickler for valid comparisons...............
Old 10-03-2013, 01:13 AM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
What - so mechanical reliability isn't an indicator of quality? Let's all just sit on leather couches instead.................

LS7? - what we're talking about here in relation to the Autoweek article is base model 911s and Boxsters, not the ZO6/LS7 comparable GT2s,GT3s, and Turbos. Try reading the article - the base model Pcars are what's included in the class action law suit.

So, the applicable comparison is base model cars/engines. The 911 discussed in the article had its engine fail after 26k miles. Some Porsche quality that is.......

I know you're a stickler for valid comparisons...............
Mechanical reliability is only one indicator of quality. It doesn't encompass everything, nor was it relevant to the point I was addressing.
Yeah, let's keep pretending base Corvettes don't have their own share of problems; or are you saying that reliability quality is reserved only for base Corvettes? Meanwhile, you ignore the fact that the 2009+ Porsches don't have that problem. The '08 911s surveyed for the 2011 JD Power survey already had the lowest problem rate of all cars (and that by extension includes the Corvette). Even in the thick of that time period you're talking about, Porsche still had dependability scores near the top:

Last edited by Guibo; 10-03-2013 at 01:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Edmunds Comparison Test: C7 vs. Cayman S