Sponsored by:

C7 Facts & Secrets

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2024, 07:49 AM
C-141 driver
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 18 Posts
Default C7 Facts & Secrets

I came across this on another website. If you're like me, you probably know most of these.
However, I learned a few things that I didn't know. This is not a substitute for a thorough read-through of the Owner's Manual, but you might learn something new from this list...

C7 Facts and Secrets
MOST IMPORTANT…. A drained or non-functional battery will not allow the unlock feature to work. If you are locked in, there is an EMERGENCY DOOR RELEASE LEVER by the driver’s seat on the floor board near the doorsill. EVERYONE needs to locate if not use it at least once. EVERYONE riding in your vehicle with you should know about this lever.
  • Press the remote’s horn button to initiate your vehicle locator. Press the same button for 3 seconds and it will sound the panic alarm. Press the button another 3 seconds and it will turn the alarm off in case you accidentally set the panic alarm on.
  • The manual Paddle Shift System can be used in D (Drive).Press the “+” paddle shifter to return to automatic D (Drive) again.
  • You can temporarily disable Passive Locking by holding the interior switch for 4 seconds (3 chimes)
  • The car will remind you to shut off your turn signal if left on for more than ¾ a mile.
  • Headlamps automatically turn on if using wipers.
  • You can just bump the turn signal (up or down) for it to signal for 3 blinks and off.
  • There is a keyhole above the rear license plate to ut a key to open the hatch if you don’t have your fob nearby or battery dead.
  • Remote Start only lasts 10 minutes but if you repeat the process during the first 10 minutes, you can extend the time to 20 minutes.
  • If Unlock is pressed on the transmitter and the horn chirps 3 times, a previous alarm occurred.
  • Memory Package includes a reverse tilt mirror setting.
  • The window has an express up and down feature.
  • The auto fan maximum speed is adjustable.
  • Remote Start can turn on heated or ventilated seats.
  • The illumination control can turn on the interior lights with a full clockwise turn. Be careful not to accidentally turn this **** or your interior lights may not go off when leaving your vehicle.
  • The rear window defogger turns off after 10 minutes. If turned on again, it runs off after 5 minutes.
  • The Eco Index and Instantaneous Fuel Economy also displays the number of cylinders the vehicle is running on.
  • The C7 uses a cap-less refueling system.
  • The battery is in the rear of the car, passenger side.
  • There is a storage area behind the NAV screen.
  • The chime volume is adjustable.
  • The radio maximum volume at startup is adjustable.
  • Storage container is in rear driver’s side.
  • When in reverse and the backup camera activates, cannot control the radio on / off or change channels or volume up or down.
  • There is an industry first feature pioneered by the C7 is a cabin pressure relief valve that helps with opening and closing the rear hatch. The rectangular element located just below the hatch door. When you open the hatch, air current is sent to a wire that causes the cabin pressure relief valve to contract and open its vents. When you clos the hatch door, the air current is removed and the Venetian blind-like louvers close more silently than a puny electric motor doing the same thing.
  • Infotainment Icons can be rearranged(Press and hold)
  • Media supports two connected devices with 100,000 songs.
  • The cup holder divider is removable by a pinch and pull method.
  • Tire temperatures can be displayed.
  • You can make changes to the Navi while moving ONLY if you have a passenger.
  • Using paddle shifters in an automatic, negates cylinder deactivation.
  • The radio can record 25 minutes of live radio for playback. (Time shifting)
  • The sun visor can be extended along the rod.
  • Screen up/down button does not work when the shifter is in reverse.
  • When you back up, the speedometer tells you how fast you are going in reverse.
  • Hold the radio off / on button in for 2 seconds or more and an analog clock with date will appear on the Nav screen.
  • The Corvette has a transport mode. To remove, turn ON the four way flasher and place the driver’s foot on the brake.(AND on the clutch if manual)Press and hold the Start button for approximately 15 seconds. At this point the engine will START, but CONTINUE to hold the start button for at least 15 seconds. Information will display on the center of the cluster that will indicate when transport mode has been turned OFF. Transport mode can be entered using the same procedure. Also reduces the load on the battery when not in use.
  • Instrument Cluster – DIC cluster application selection represented by a white marker to the left and right of the item displayed. As you scroll through the carious application pages, you’ll see the white markers move up and down, representing the app location within the list.
  • “Favorites” can be used to save more than radio presets. For example, you can save Navigation destinations (like HOME), contacts, tone settings, artists, songs, etc.
  • Black “dots” on rear window are actually C7 emblems.
  • The Emergency Parking Brake (EPBG) will automatically release if the vehicle is running, placed into gear, and an attempt is made to drive away.
  • If the Infotainment System has been turned on after the ignition is turned off, the system will turn off automatically after 10 minutes.
  • If the Auto Memory Recall is set to “At Ignition” and the Easy Exit Option is “On”, when you start the engine and do NOT press the brake pedal, the seat, steering wheel and mirrors will adjust to the setting 1 or 2 then you can press the brake pedal to start the engine. This is a great feature for shorter folks.
  • Pressing the Intrusion & Inclination Sensors Disable switch, to the right of the Hatch Release button, will allow a passenger left in the car to not set off the alarm and deal with locked doors. Same goes for a pet.
  • Pressing the Call hang-up button on the steering wheel will mute/unmute the radio also.
  • Press the “Power” + “Home” + “ Menu” buttons(HMI) will display the software versions page.
  • For first 500 miles, even the base C7 Corvette rev gauge will display a yellow bar between 3500 and 4500 rpm. During the engine break-in period, please try to shift between those guides and ignore the 6.2 liter LT1 V8 engine’s 6500 rpm redline if you want a trouble-free Corvette with a manual.
  • The C7 has something similar to a DVR, more specifically a Pause Live Radio feature. Thanks to the hard drive buffer, you can catch up with that radio show you’ve paused while taking a phone call by pressing the rewind button. Nifty feature most do not know about.
  • Hold down the accessory button for 10 seconds without touching brake (or clutch) you will power on the entire system of the car including the heads up display (HUD).
  • Open up the rear hatch of the C7 coupe and look at the car from the font center to the back, the car really resembles a STINGRAY.
Problems to be aware of:
  • If you hear a rattling sound in the torque tube, replace it because it’s most likely bent.
  • If there is a creaking sound coming from the dash pads when driving over uneven ground, don’t panic. BUT if the creaking is heard when driving on a smooth road, prepare for a visit to the dealership. The satellite navigation system goes haywire from time to time, a condition that can be treated by doing a reset.
  • If you hear a rubbing noise when your wheel is turned all the way one side or the other, this is normal. There is no damage at a slow rate of speed for a short distance. All do that.
ALSO…. If you have a Grand Sport or Z06, the wheels are known to bend and eventually crack. Especially the back 20” wheels on the inside. It does not matter how many miles you have on it or if you hit a hole or not, it is a faulty wheel that is too weak for the car and GM knows it. If you have the tire/wheel warranty, it is covered for replacement ONLY if it is losing air. If it is bent and cannot be balanced, the warranty will cover having the wheel repaired to its round state. If you think your tires begin driving like your wheels are out of balance, your rims are probably bent.

Last edited by C-141 driver; 04-26-2024 at 07:56 AM.
The following 20 users liked this post by C-141 driver:
Alski Indy (04-26-2024), Bayshore Vette (04-26-2024), bick333 (05-01-2024), bkramme (04-28-2024), C7nut (04-29-2024), Catfish4818 (04-26-2024), ChodaBoy (04-29-2024), Crossed Flags Fan (04-28-2024), djyankees31 (04-26-2024), Factoid (04-28-2024), I8URRICE (04-28-2024), joemessman (04-28-2024), miami08VETTE (04-28-2024), MosEspa (04-26-2024), Pineapple (04-26-2024), Rabbi (04-26-2024), Renarello (04-26-2024), shekmark427 (04-27-2024), Todd McMullen (04-29-2024), Vette Jockey (04-26-2024) and 15 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-26-2024, 07:57 AM
76-Vetteman
Burning Brakes

Received 652 Likes on 363 Posts

There is a lot of stuff in here. I'm glad this information isn't presented as a test..
Thanks for the list.

Old 04-26-2024, 09:00 AM
MosEspa
Pro

Received 299 Likes on 170 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Definitely learned a few things. I hopefully will have a C7 within a few months. One thing I learned was:

Anyone got a picture of this? Google is failing me - Just kind of want to see it. I like neat little quirks like that.
Old 04-26-2024, 10:04 AM
C-141 driver
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Rear window C7 symbols

Originally Posted by MosEspa
Definitely learned a few things. I hopefully will have a C7 within a few months. One thing I learned was:
Anyone got a picture of this? Google is failing me - Just kind of want to see it. I like neat little quirks like that.
-----------------------
See the photos

Closeup of rear deck ("hatchback") window
The following users liked this post:
MosEspa (04-29-2024)
Old 04-26-2024, 11:03 AM
Let It Ride
Melting Slicks

Received 926 Likes on 534 Posts

Unfortunately not all year radios did the rewind record thing. My 2019 for sure does none of that.
Old 04-26-2024, 12:43 PM
Bayshore Vette
@c7gsm7vert

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 713 Likes on 371 Posts

Very nice list. I learned a thing or two. The logos in the rear hatch are yet another sacrifice we fresh air vert owners must accept. Worth it!
Old 04-26-2024, 01:31 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,454 Likes on 14,055 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Thanks for the list.

As for the rewind feature on the radio (replay), I know my 2014 has that feature as well as an HD radio. I am not sure if later model year radios had the HD feature.
Old 04-26-2024, 01:35 PM
ShawnZR-1
Race Director

Received 89 Likes on 35 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'10-'11-'12

Lots of good information there but I'm lost on what "Transport Mode" is. What does turning it on or off do?
Old 04-26-2024, 01:44 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 456 Likes on 342 Posts

How will I remember all of that??
Old 04-26-2024, 01:47 PM
Let It Ride
Melting Slicks

Received 926 Likes on 534 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Thanks for the list.

As for the rewind feature on the radio (replay), I know my 2014 has that feature as well as an HD radio. I am not sure if later model year radios had the HD feature.
My 2019 has HD radio but that is it, no other features.
Old 04-26-2024, 01:54 PM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 807 Likes on 452 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Thanks for the list.

My last 2015 1LT did not have the HD radio feature.
I got HD radio when I upgraded the HMI to get AA/ACP from MVI.

I have not tried to play the radio in the 7 months I've owned this 2015, so I don't know if it has HD radio or not. XM is always on.
Old 04-26-2024, 03:06 PM
martin1264
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

C7 Facts & Secrets.......

Thank you from a new C7 owner (not a new corvette owner, I have owned a C5 and C6 in the past)
I just bought a 2016 1LT in January and have not driven it much yet (New England)...info above is useful.

Old 04-26-2024, 04:54 PM
eseibel67
Racer

Received 186 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnZR-1
Lots of good information there but I'm lost on what "Transport Mode" is. What does turning it on or off do?
It turns off or restricts certain functions such as telematics or other fancy stuff in the interest of reducing electrical power and making the battery last longer during transportation where the car might have to be started several times over a period of time but not run long enough to properly recharge battery.
ShawnZR-1 (04-30-2024)
Old 04-26-2024, 08:12 PM
^&right
Pro

Received 378 Likes on 180 Posts

I learned 2 or 3 things, thanks for the list!
Old 04-27-2024, 01:53 AM
JLSuperfly
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 51 Posts

Nice list. Thanks.
Old 04-27-2024, 10:58 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,961 Likes on 5,347 Posts

Originally Posted by C-141 driver
I came across this on another website. If you're like me, you probably know most of these.
However, I learned a few things that I didn't know. This is not a substitute for a thorough read-through of the Owner's Manual, but you might learn something new from this list...

C7 Facts and Secrets
  • You can just bump the turn signal (up or down) for it to signal for 3 blinks and off.
I thought all cars did this I know all GM cars have done so for 40 or more years. It is called a lane change feature so the driver doesn't have to click the turn signal switch and then click it to turn off the signal.
Bill
mikeCsix (04-30-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 03:38 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,447 Likes on 2,063 Posts

I learned three tips that will come in handy for me.

The manual Paddle Shift System can be used in D (Drive).Press the “+” paddle shifter to return to automatic D (Drive) again.

You can temporarily disable Passive Locking by holding the interior switch for 4 seconds (3 chimes)

Pressing the Call hang-up button on the steering wheel will mute/unmute the radio also. Very handy.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Facts & Secrets

Old 04-28-2024, 04:25 PM
miami08VETTE
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 584 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by MosEspa

There are aslo little Vette Emblems in the headlight housing.
MosEspa (04-29-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 06:28 PM
C7nut
Pro

Received 346 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by C-141 driver

C7 Facts and Secrets
MOST IMPORTANT…. A drained or non-functional battery will not allow the unlock feature to work. If you are locked in, there is an EMERGENCY DOOR RELEASE LEVER by the driver’s seat on the floor board near the doorsill. EVERYONE needs to locate if not use it at least once. EVERYONE riding in your vehicle with you should know about this lever.
  • Press the remote’s horn button to initiate your vehicle locator. Press the same button for 3 seconds and it will sound the panic alarm. Press the button another 3 seconds and it will turn the alarm off in case you accidentally set the panic alarm on.
  • The manual Paddle Shift System can be used in D (Drive).Press the “+” paddle shifter to return to automatic D (Drive) again.
  • You can temporarily disable Passive Locking by holding the interior switch for 4 seconds (3 chimes)
  • The car will remind you to shut off your turn signal if left on for more than ¾ a mile.
  • Headlamps automatically turn on if using wipers.
  • There is a keyhole above the rear license plate to ut a key to open the hatch if you don’t have your fob nearby or battery dead.
  • Remote Start only lasts 10 minutes but if you repeat the process during the first 10 minutes, you can extend the time to 20 minutes.
  • If Unlock is pressed on the transmitter and the horn chirps 3 times, a previous alarm occurred.
  • Memory Package includes a reverse tilt mirror setting.
  • The window has an express up and down feature.
  • The auto fan maximum speed is adjustable.
  • Remote Start can turn on heated or ventilated seats.
  • The illumination control can turn on the interior lights with a full clockwise turn. Be careful not to accidentally turn this **** or your interior lights may not go off when leaving your vehicle.
  • The rear window defogger turns off after 10 minutes. If turned on again, it runs off after 5 minutes.
  • The Eco Index and Instantaneous Fuel Economy also displays the number of cylinders the vehicle is running on.
  • The C7 uses a cap-less refueling system.
  • The battery is in the rear of the car, passenger side.
  • There is a storage area behind the NAV screen.
  • The chime volume is adjustable.
  • The radio maximum volume at startup is adjustable.
  • Storage container is in rear driver’s side.
  • When in reverse and the backup camera activates, cannot control the radio on / off or change channels or volume up or down.
  • There is an industry first feature pioneered by the C7 is a cabin pressure relief valve that helps with opening and closing the rear hatch. The rectangular element located just below the hatch door. When you open the hatch, air current is sent to a wire that causes the cabin pressure relief valve to contract and open its vents. When you clos the hatch door, the air current is removed and the Venetian blind-like louvers close more silently than a puny electric motor doing the same thing.
  • Infotainment Icons can be rearranged(Press and hold)
  • Media supports two connected devices with 100,000 songs.
  • The cup holder divider is removable by a pinch and pull method.
  • Tire temperatures can be displayed.
  • You can make changes to the Navi while moving ONLY if you have a passenger.
  • Using paddle shifters in an automatic, negates cylinder deactivation.
  • The radio can record 25 minutes of live radio for playback. (Time shifting)
  • The sun visor can be extended along the rod.
  • Screen up/down button does not work when the shifter is in reverse.
  • When you back up, the speedometer tells you how fast you are going in reverse.
  • Hold the radio off / on button in for 2 seconds or more and an analog clock with date will appear on the Nav screen.
  • The Corvette has a transport mode. To remove, turn ON the four way flasher and place the driver’s foot on the brake.(AND on the clutch if manual)Press and hold the Start button for approximately 15 seconds. At this point the engine will START, but CONTINUE to hold the start button for at least 15 seconds. Information will display on the center of the cluster that will indicate when transport mode has been turned OFF. Transport mode can be entered using the same procedure. Also reduces the load on the battery when not in use.
  • Instrument Cluster – DIC cluster application selection represented by a white marker to the left and right of the item displayed. As you scroll through the carious application pages, you’ll see the white markers move up and down, representing the app location within the list.
  • “Favorites” can be used to save more than radio presets. For example, you can save Navigation destinations (like HOME), contacts, tone settings, artists, songs, etc.
  • The Emergency Parking Brake (EPBG) will automatically release if the vehicle is running, placed into gear, and an attempt is made to drive away.
  • If the Infotainment System has been turned on after the ignition is turned off, the system will turn off automatically after 10 minutes.
  • If the Auto Memory Recall is set to “At Ignition” and the Easy Exit Option is “On”, when you start the engine and do NOT press the brake pedal, the seat, steering wheel and mirrors will adjust to the setting 1 or 2 then you can press the brake pedal to start the engine. This is a great feature for shorter folks.
  • Pressing the Intrusion & Inclination Sensors Disable switch, to the right of the Hatch Release button, will allow a passenger left in the car to not set off the alarm and deal with locked doors. Same goes for a pet.
  • Pressing the Call hang-up button on the steering wheel will mute/unmute the radio also.
  • Press the “Power” + “Home” + “ Menu” buttons(HMI) will display the software versions page.
  • For first 500 miles, even the base C7 Corvette rev gauge will display a yellow bar between 3500 and 4500 rpm. During the engine break-in period, please try to shift between those guides and ignore the 6.2 liter LT1 V8 engine’s 6500 rpm redline if you want a trouble-free Corvette with a manual.
  • The C7 has something similar to a DVR, more specifically a Pause Live Radio feature. Thanks to the hard drive buffer, you can catch up with that radio show you’ve paused while taking a phone call by pressing the rewind button. Nifty feature most do not know about.
  • Hold down the accessory button for 10 seconds without touching brake (or clutch) you will power on the entire system of the car including the heads up display (HUD).
  • Open up the rear hatch of the C7 coupe and look at the car from the font center to the back, the car really resembles a STINGRAY.
Problems to be aware of:
  • If you hear a rattling sound in the torque tube, replace it because it’s most likely bent.
  • If there is a creaking sound coming from the dash pads when driving over uneven ground, don’t panic. BUT if the creaking is heard when driving on a smooth road, prepare for a visit to the dealership. The satellite navigation system goes haywire from time to time, a condition that can be treated by doing a reset.
  • If you hear a rubbing noise when your wheel is turned all the way one side or the other, this is normal. There is no damage at a slow rate of speed for a short distance. All do that.
ALSO…. If you have a Grand Sport or Z06, the wheels are known to bend and eventually crack. Especially the back 20” wheels on the inside. It does not matter how many miles you have on it or if you hit a hole or not, it is a faulty wheel that is too weak for the car and GM knows it. If you have the tire/wheel warranty, it is covered for replacement ONLY if it is losing air. If it is bent and cannot be balanced, the warranty will cover having the wheel repaired to its round state. If you think your tires begin driving like your wheels are out of balance, your rims are probably bent.
Good info. Too bad there is no print function on this forum to save it for reference
Old 04-29-2024, 06:47 PM
sjw91
Burning Brakes

Received 392 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by C7nut
Good info. Too bad there is no print function on this forum to save it for reference
Just select print from your web browser. Or copy and paste into Word or something.

Quick Reply: C7 Facts & Secrets