Sponsored by:

Glazed rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2024, 07:20 PM
TheGuyWithTheVette
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Do these rotors look glazed?

Swapped out my stock pads for the Powerstop Z26 pads and did the bedding procedure as instructed. The rotors seem to be a bit more shiny than before.. no squeaking or squealing, no shudder, even braking across all 4. Brakes seem to be working just fine, just thought the rotors seem to look different than before. Thoughts?

Old 04-24-2024, 08:50 PM
TheGuyWithTheVette
8th Gear

Default Glazed rotors?

Swapped out the OEM Brembo pads for the Powerstop Z26 pads and did the bedding procedure as instructed. The rotors seem to be a bit more shiny than before.. no squeaking or squealing, no shudder or pulsing, even braking across all 4. Brakes seem to be working just fine, just thought the rotors seem to look a bit different than before. Thoughts? Am I concerned for nothing?

Old 04-24-2024, 09:14 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,449 Likes on 14,054 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

JMO, but as long as the braking performance is OK, I would not worry about it.
The following users liked this post:
TheGuyWithTheVette (04-24-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 01:28 AM
jglassmaker
Pro

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

I don't believe those are glazed.

Glazed rotors in my experience have more of a blotchy discoloring with more of a clean reflection. This looks very uniform around the entire rotor.
TheGuyWithTheVette (04-25-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 07:01 AM
DGA3
Melting Slicks

Received 643 Likes on 428 Posts

I've have those Powerstops on my 2017 Z06 and have never had an issue with them.

They work great (I don't track my car), and the brake dust is gone!
Old 04-25-2024, 07:08 AM
TheGuyWithTheVette
8th Gear

Originally Posted by DGA3
I've have those Powerstops on my 2017 Z06 and have never had an issue with them.

They work great (I don't track my car), and the brake dust is gone!
That’s great to hear! I don’t track my car either. I got them because I couldn’t keep fighting the good fight against brake dust.. it was just insane.

Do your rotors have a similar shine to them? I just don’t remember them looking this way with the Brembo pads, so it caused me some concern.
Old 04-25-2024, 07:46 AM
GSRoadster
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I switched from the Brembos to Powerstop on my Grand Sport to reduce the brake dust on my black wheels. They worked great, were quiet, and cut out the dust by about 90%. However, after a season of use, I definitely noticed a brownish hue or glaze on the rotors that I thought was very noticeable with the black rims. I know aftermarket pad choice is very controversial on the Forum and don't want to start a fight, but it bothered me enough that I removed the Powerstops, burnished the glaze off of the rotors, and switched to Carbotech 1521s. Yes, they are far more expensive (though made in the US vs Powerstops in China) and no, I don't notice any difference from the Powerstops in terms of capability or dust, but my rotors are back to having a factory look. I'm much happier with the Carbotechs but just my experience, for what it's worth. I know many others will disagree!
TheGuyWithTheVette (04-25-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 08:07 AM
TheGuyWithTheVette
8th Gear

Originally Posted by GSRoadster
I switched from the Brembos to Powerstop on my Grand Sport to reduce the brake dust on my black wheels. They worked great, were quiet, and cut out the dust by about 90%. However, after a season of use, I definitely noticed a brownish hue or glaze on the rotors that I thought was very noticeable with the black rims. I know aftermarket pad choice is very controversial on the Forum and don't want to start a fight, but it bothered me enough that I removed the Powerstops, burnished the glaze off of the rotors, and switched to Carbotech 1521s. Yes, they are far more expensive (though made in the US vs Powerstops in China) and no, I don't notice any difference from the Powerstops in terms of capability or dust, but my rotors are back to having a factory look. I'm much happier with the Carbotechs but just my experience, for what it's worth. I know many others will disagree!

I appreciate the insight, I’ve seen a lot of the posts on here debating the pads.. and you are right on the money, it’s a hotly contested issue! In the end, I just want to be sure I’m not doing any damage to anything.
Old 04-25-2024, 08:55 AM
kodpkd
Melting Slicks

Received 731 Likes on 446 Posts

They work good, they should be good. I do the same thing, look at something I have never really looked at before and then start wondering if it is correct.
You swapped out the OEM pad for the Powerstop Z26 pads? How much were they? Does your car stop better with these new pads now?
Old 04-25-2024, 09:09 AM
Blackwater0323
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 159 Posts

Put on my 2019 GS. Great pads. No dust and work great. No change to my rotors.
Old 04-25-2024, 10:38 AM
TheGuyWithTheVette
8th Gear

Originally Posted by kodpkd
They work good, they should be good. I do the same thing, look at something I have never really looked at before and then start wondering if it is correct.
You swapped out the OEM pad for the Powerstop Z26 pads? How much were they? Does your car stop better with these new pads now?

yeah.. I’ve always been a worrier. It’s a blessing and a curse. I ordered the pads over the winter so I can’t remember exactly what I paid. I think I did fronts and back for under $200. Braking seems to be about the same? But brake dust is significantly less. I’ve only had them on for a few days, so I don’t have a ton of time in them. Did some spirited driving on day 2 and got some decent heat into them, they seem to stop pretty darn well.
Old 04-25-2024, 11:46 AM
car2fast4you
Melting Slicks

Received 531 Likes on 285 Posts

I have the same pads on my VW GTI. They turn the rotors a brownish tint. After driving in the rain a few times, my wheels get covered with a nasty brown coating from the brake dust.
Old 04-26-2024, 02:37 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 456 Likes on 342 Posts

Question --- after driving in the rain and parking over night, next day when backing out do there brakes "grab and break loose" Do they rust on at this point?
Old 04-26-2024, 03:21 PM
VT_C7
Cruising

Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts

Glazing refers to the pad surface itself, not really to the rotor surface. If you believe the internet, here's a blurb:
"Glazing happens when temperatures exceed the brake pad limits. The pad material hardens and forms a glassy, smooth pad surface. Pads may also crack and fracture. When glazing occurs, brake pads can't provide the necessary friction with the rotors to stop the vehicle. Stopping distances are compromised."
Hope this helps.
C5Dan (04-26-2024)
Old 04-27-2024, 12:32 PM
TheGuyWithTheVette
8th Gear

Originally Posted by orca1946
Question --- after driving in the rain and parking over night, next day when backing out do there brakes "grab and break loose" Do they rust on at this point?
Nope, no issues with them grabbing. Only time I have oxidation is after I detail the car and use iron fall out remover. But moving the car 10 foot with the brakes applied gets rid of it.

Get notified of new replies

To Glazed rotors?

Quick Reply: Glazed rotors?