Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Place To Buy Tires For My C7 Stingray

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2024, 09:36 PM
sjw91
Burning Brakes

Received 392 Likes on 218 Posts

Try your Chevrolet dealer. They will price match Discount Tire, plus there is a $70 GM rebate on Michelin tires. https://www.chevrolet.com/certified-...-coupons-deals
The following users liked this post:
aklim (04-20-2024)
Old 04-20-2024, 10:55 PM
C7_Craig
Cruising

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Been using Tire Rack for 20 years now. Great knowledgeable staff and online tools and reviews. Then ship to either home or the local dealer and mount them with road force balancing.
Old 04-21-2024, 08:33 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,251 Likes on 1,958 Posts

Originally Posted by C7_Craig
Been using Tire Rack for 20 years now. Great knowledgeable staff and online tools and reviews. Then ship to either home or the local dealer and mount them with road force balancing.
If you want to do this, you might want to make sure the shop is willing to do it. Don't ASSUME. Ask me how I know and how much fun it is to drive around with a car full of tires finding someone who will. "When you go out to dinner with your wife, do you bring streaks for them to cook?" was a question asked.
Gearhead Jim (04-23-2024)
Old 04-21-2024, 10:33 AM
AnotherNorskie
Pro

Received 287 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
What tires? That's interesting though. WalMart has never struck me as good for anything other than cheap crap. Will have to look at it.
I only need front tires, so $271 for Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 All Season 245/40ZR18 (93Y) Passenger Tire ... and then Value Installation: $28 per tire
  • Tire Mounting
  • Valve stems / TPMS
  • Lifetime balance and rotation
  • 50-mile re-torque
  • + Road hazard protection warranty1
I'm sure they get the same tires as anyone else, the only hesitation I have with them is they may not be as careful with the rims.
Generally I like to bring them the rims and tires off the car. Never had an issue with them.
It's a plus that I have a walmart 1/2 mile from my home, and the closest competent GM dealer is 45 minutes away.
But I also need an alignment, and GM didn't charge me a diagnostic fee last time I was there, so I'll 'reward' them with more of my business.

Besides the fact that Sterling cannot match prices with Costco, is there any evidence that the Michelin Pilot Sport I get at Costco is going to be differently specked from the dealership?
I'd need to see evidence of this too. I know that Costco will spec different Roku's and Battery Tenders and things like that, for package deals you can't get elsewhere, but never heard it's any different 'quality'.

I've used TR many times when I don't need installation. DT has always done right by me, but they too are 45 minutes away. I appreciate that if I'm there first thing in the morning they're super quick and I can just wait for the work but in the afternoon there can be long waits and they don't shuttle (they are close to an office where I can work).

Another option is SimpleTire.com ... they'll ship to a local installer. I used them last year, great prices and service. However, I don't think they stock Michelins.
Old 04-21-2024, 10:43 AM
Rabbi
Deal Maker

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by sjw91
Try your Chevrolet dealer. They will price match Discount Tire, plus there is a $70 GM rebate on Michelin tires. https://www.chevrolet.com/certified-...-coupons-deals
Dealer is matching price now on tires.
Old 04-21-2024, 12:34 PM
Philfreebird
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The conversation heated up. I appreciate all the responses and there's lot's of good info there. I went ahead and went with Costco but Costco is about 800 yards from my house and then their price beat everyone else's price so it seemed like an easy choice. I didn't know about a dealer price match which I'm skeptical of and I didn't know anything about different tiers either. There seems to be differing opinions on both of those things none the less these post came in after I had already pulled the trigger at Costco. I new my tires were getting worn but when I had my oil changed at Jiffy Lube (Is that bad?) the tech told me some steal belts were showing and he could get me the tires and install them. He sent me a quote of over $2,200.00 though and that's $800.00 more than the Costco price. The dealership (Pinegar Chevrolet in Republic MO) I would use was at $1.675.00 so that's over $200.00 difference and a 50 mile round trip drive. Of course when you're driving a Vette that's not really a bad thing. Again I appreciate the feedback.
Old 04-21-2024, 12:53 PM
ChiefBoats

Location: NNCC No Name Car Crew Owned 1 C2, 2 C3's, 1 C4, 3 C5's, 1 C6, 2 C7's Now '81, '86, '03.
Received 3,941 Likes on 1,623 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C3 of the Year Wnner - Unmodified
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Did you say you had your C7 oil changed at Jiffy Lube? Did the tech know the difference between wet & dry sump oil capacities? Was the oil checked with or without the engine running? Oil changes on the newer Corvettes are not that cut and dry. I would hope the tech followed the Owner's Manual procedures.
Old 04-21-2024, 01:08 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AnotherNorskie
I only need front tires, so $271 for Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 All Season 245/40ZR18 (93Y) Passenger Tire ... and then Value Installation: $28 per tire
  • Tire Mounting
  • Valve stems / TPMS
  • Lifetime balance and rotation
  • 50-mile re-torque
  • + Road hazard protection warranty1
I'm sure they get the same tires as anyone else, the only hesitation I have with them is they may not be as careful with the rims.
Generally I like to bring them the rims and tires off the car. Never had an issue with them.
It's a plus that I have a walmart 1/2 mile from my home, and the closest competent GM dealer is 45 minutes away.
But I also need an alignment, and GM didn't charge me a diagnostic fee last time I was there, so I'll 'reward' them with more of my business.

I'd need to see evidence of this too. I know that Costco will spec different Roku's and Battery Tenders and things like that, for package deals you can't get elsewhere, but never heard it's any different 'quality'.

I've used TR many times when I don't need installation. DT has always done right by me, but they too are 45 minutes away. I appreciate that if I'm there first thing in the morning they're super quick and I can just wait for the work but in the afternoon there can be long waits and they don't shuttle (they are close to an office where I can work).

Another option is SimpleTire.com ... they'll ship to a local installer. I used them last year, great prices and service. However, I don't think they stock Michelins.
I don't care. I can either drive the car there or bring the wheel and tire to them. I had a few people that won't install a tire they didn't sell.

I honestly don't know if they are different spec. I never looked that close into that hence the question.

Old 04-21-2024, 01:12 PM
Philfreebird
Cruising

Originally Posted by ChiefBoats
Did you say you had your C7 oil changed at Jiffy Lube? Did the tech know the difference between wet & dry sump oil capacities? Was the oil checked with or without the engine running? Oil changes on the newer Corvettes are not that cut and dry. I would hope the tech followed the Owner's Manual procedures.
I assume so. It's the second time they've changed the oil on this car and there were no problems the first time so I feel comfortable with it. Jiffy Lube is also about 800 yards from my house. It's kind of weird that I bought this house in kind of a gated community adjoining the Country Club I belong to but I'm in view of Costco, Jiffy Lube, Menards, What-a-burger, Taco Bell and a Dominoes Pizza. There's also a Mickey Ds about a mile away on the other side of the HWY. What more could a man ask for? LOL
Old 04-21-2024, 01:19 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Philfreebird
I assume so. It's the second time they've changed the oil on this car and there were no problems the first time so I feel comfortable with it. Jiffy Lube is also about 800 yards from my house. It's kind of weird that I bought this house in kind of a gated community adjoining the Country Club I belong to but I'm in view of Costco, Jiffy Lube, Menards, What-a-burger, Taco Bell and a Dominoes Pizza. There's also a Mickey Ds about a mile away on the other side of the HWY. What more could a man ask for? LOL
If it had Sherri's Ranch or The Chicken Ranch nearby, it would be perfect.
Old 04-21-2024, 01:35 PM
Philfreebird
Cruising

If it had Sherri's Ranch or The Chicken Ranch nearby, it would be perfect.
When I first read that I was thinking food establishments. Then I read it again and...well hah that could cause me to lose my Vette, house, golf cart and half my cash.
Old 04-21-2024, 01:40 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,010 Likes on 2,890 Posts

Originally Posted by Philfreebird
I've been investigating where to buy new tires for my C7. Of all places I'm looking at Costco. Their tires come with free installation so that's a big plus. I'm looking at the Michelin-Pilot Sport All Season 4. So two questions: Has anyone ever used Costco for tires? And then are the Pilot All Season 4 tires what I really want?
Compare with Discount Tire and Tire Rack.

Yes, you want the Michelin A/S tires.
NortonCO (04-22-2024)
Old 04-21-2024, 10:04 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,238 Likes on 3,471 Posts

The persons who actually do the installation are more important to me than price, etc. I've a small local business that can order anything and have long-term employees I've trusted without incident for years with many vehicles of various types. I recall once using a popular chain and having two wheel-weights fly off on the way home.
NortonCO (04-22-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 02:32 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,605 Likes on 2,816 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

Hands down @Discount Tire for price, service, and service after sale.

The first time I used them, I had Tire Rack ship my tires to DT for the mounting and balancing. I then took them home and installed them. DT told me they would match the TR price and I could just bring the car in and take advantage of all their services. I am fortunate to have two within 10 minutes of me (one off of 1604 and one off of I-10). Once I made an appointment but went to the wrong one. No problem, they sent a truck down and brought my tires to me. They also referred me to a local shop that did my alignment. The guy was an alignment guru. He aligned my C2 to the specs I provided, even shimming the rear trailing arms properly. There is no replacement for professionalism and experience.
NortonCO (04-22-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 03:07 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Griffin Chevrolet in Milwaukee will match the Costco price, so they said when I checked this morning.

Get notified of new replies

To Best Place To Buy Tires For My C7 Stingray

Old 04-22-2024, 03:31 PM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

Received 3,519 Likes on 1,899 Posts

Discount Tire for my fun cars, Costco last year (actually end of 2022) for my Tahoe. Had a bunch of year-end Costco/Visa rewards, so a set of Michelin Defender LTs cost me around $430 installed. Can't complain, so far rotated twice at Costco, they check balancing when rotating and rebalanced one of the tires last time. No additional cost for anything.
NortonCO (04-22-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 05:29 PM
aklim
Team Owner

If only DT were near me. I do like the way they do stuff. 45 minutes away from me and Costco is 2 minutes away from work really makes it hard because Costco is pretty good.
Factoid (04-22-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 08:09 PM
fuzzy03cls
Pro

Received 270 Likes on 151 Posts

Costco would be nice. Too bad nearest tire installer branch is 80 miles away.

Quick Reply: Best Place To Buy Tires For My C7 Stingray