Are manual transmissions sought after?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2024, 05:11 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,367 Likes on 791 Posts

They are
The following 2 users liked this post by Woodson:
NortonCO (04-01-2024), Vettefanboii (04-03-2024)
Old 04-01-2024, 05:16 PM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,210 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by Let It Ride
LOL Your missing the whole point of the conversation. Take two of the exact same cars and we'll say the ZR1 for example and see which one brings in the mucho dinero by far. Even so with the auto generating not much interest vs the stick.
LOL, I complete get it. Historically the transmission type has made little to no difference in a used Corvette when you look at average resale values. It's because tens of thousands of them are manufactured. Want a manual C7? They are out there and readily available. Go to KBB and configure your used C7 exactly the same with the only difference being a manual vs an auto. The private party values are nearly always the same or at least close enough.

Just for ***** I configured a 2017 Stingray with 20K miles, excellent condition. Private party value on both cars (auto or manual) ranges from 43 - 47K. I would agree that the manual is worth gold if someone is saying they can get 55K for their Stingray in a manual when the auto is only going for 45K, but it's not. Using a low production model like the ZR1 does not represent the used Corvette market as a whole. First and foremost if anyone is buying a used C7 for resale they should not be buying one. If they are basing which transmission to get based on resale, they should not be buying one. The Corvette they should buy is the one that is optioned exactly, or as close as possible, to the one they want to own and enjoy.
Old 04-01-2024, 05:58 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 456 Likes on 342 Posts

You can't go wrong with either choice. Make yourself happy with what you get!!
The following 2 users liked this post by orca1946:
Buddhaman (04-01-2024), capt911 (04-01-2024)
Old 04-01-2024, 06:13 PM
Elk
Le Mans Master

Received 3,257 Likes on 1,723 Posts

^^^
A healthy, productive attitude.

All this hand wringing and obsessing . . .
Old 04-01-2024, 06:36 PM
calvins
Safety Car

Received 271 Likes on 121 Posts
Oldtimer

I wanted a BLUE C7 convertible with a M7 3LT and low miles. Took me a bit to find it but I finally found one a couple hours from me. LUVIN' it here in SW Fla! And NO it was NOT cheap but I didn't give a gnats a$$... it's what *I* wanted as my 6th, and FINAL Corvette!
Old 04-01-2024, 07:37 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 1,960 Posts

Originally Posted by JDSKY
First and foremost if anyone is buying a used C7 for resale they should not be buying one. If they are basing which transmission to get based on resale, they should not be buying one. The Corvette they should buy is the one that is optioned exactly, or as close as possible, to the one they want to own and enjoy.
First off, why? Why should resale not be a factor especially if you are going to flip it or plan to upgrade?

Secondly, sure I can buy it for enjoyment but resale can also figure into the equation should my situation change. If I don't care about resale, I could simply buy it even if it was say stolen or have some damage that made it harder to sell like a flood car that has been cleaned up assuming it checks out but has the "Mark of Cain" on the title.

Finally, when you are ready to upgrade, why would you want something harder to sell?
Old 04-03-2024, 03:45 PM
Donwuan
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 48 Posts

No, they are not sought after in general. Manual numbers were low because their wasn't a great demand for them. However, used dealers may be marking them up now because of the low numbers.
Old 04-03-2024, 06:07 PM
Vettefanboii
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by JDSKY
LOL, I complete get it. Historically the transmission type has made little to no difference in a used Corvette when you look at average resale values. It's because tens of thousands of them are manufactured. Want a manual C7? They are out there and readily available. Go to KBB and configure your used C7 exactly the same with the only difference being a manual vs an auto. The private party values are nearly always the same or at least close enough.

Just for ***** I configured a 2017 Stingray with 20K miles, excellent condition. Private party value on both cars (auto or manual) ranges from 43 - 47K. I would agree that the manual is worth gold if someone is saying they can get 55K for their Stingray in a manual when the auto is only going for 45K, but it's not. Using a low production model like the ZR1 does not represent the used Corvette market as a whole. First and foremost if anyone is buying a used C7 for resale they should not be buying one. If they are basing which transmission to get based on resale, they should not be buying one. The Corvette they should buy is the one that is optioned exactly, or as close as possible, to the one they want to own and enjoy.
Just my opinion, KBB does show that the transmission makes little to no difference in value between similar C7s but it’s just not what I saw last year when I found mine and what I still see today (other valuation tools like Hagerty say to subtract 10% to any automatic C7). More than likely, the manuals will command a little more and while it’s true that it isn’t hard to find a manual C7, It is harder to find a manual C7 specced out exactly how you would like it.

Truth is there are a handful of people out there willing to pay a little extra to get the right C7 in a manual. Might take longer for someone to come around but anyone wanting to sell a manual C7 could benefit from holding out for the right person.

Not sure if buying a clean low mile manual C7 soley as an investment opportunity makes sense tho. I bought mine with the intention of holding onto it for as long as I can so not too worried about resale value in the future but it would be cool if it turns out it ends up holding up well. Who knows how things will look in the future when manual V8s are a thing of the distant past.

Some hard data would settle this debate once and for all if someone had the resources, time and interest to conduct a study lol.

Last edited by Vettefanboii; 04-03-2024 at 06:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
NortonCO (04-03-2024)

Quick Reply: Are manual transmissions sought after?