Sponsored by:

Are manual transmissions sought after?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2024, 10:49 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,247 Likes on 1,954 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
A dealer will literally tell you anything to low ball your trade, or, to sell you a car. I'm not a new buyer, or trade-in. I've been buying new cars for 50 years. From new Cadillac, Corvettes, Lincoln, Mercedes-Benz. Dealers aren't a reliable source for anything other than to sell you vehicles.
Usual role for a seller and buyer. When I was buying the stick car, I told you it wasn't the best fit, not really liking it but the wife was willing to go only so far, etc. When I was the seller a few months later, it was a heartbreak thing, wife said we had to sell it to pay for some silly crap, etc.
Old 03-04-2024, 10:52 AM
sjw91
Burning Brakes

Received 392 Likes on 218 Posts

A dealer will literally tell you anything to low ball your trade, or, to sell you a car. I'm not a new buyer, or trade-in. I've been buying new cars for 50 years. From new Cadillac, Corvettes, Lincoln, Mercedes-Benz. Dealers aren't a reliable source for anything other than to sell you vehicles.
Exactly! I've experienced salesmen not dealing on a sale because manuals are rare. And when trading in the car, they say it's worth less because few people want them.
The following users liked this post:
Redsoxnation (03-04-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 11:16 AM
AnotherNorskie
Pro

Received 286 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by dplotkin
The trouble I have with your argument as well as those above you with a similar argument is that no automatic equipped Corvette from any generation behind C7 sells for more than a manual. This is especially true of the C1 and C2 generations. Few want old Corvettes with an automatic. I understand the late automatics are light-years ahead of the Powerglide but still the disparity remains. I believe as the future rolls out manual transmission Corvettes will continue ahead of automatics in desirability and value.

It's an opinion. I'll stick to it. Pun unintended.

Dan
That's a good point ... when we sold our 535xi and Outback we got premium prices because they were manuals. But that was 5+ years ago.

On the other hand, I'm not sure the younger generations are that interested in Corvettes older than the C5. The C1-C3 sales are likely still generated by older guys, who won't be in the market for a late model C7 anyways.

I'm not arguing so much as thinking out loud. Of course I want my C7 M7 to be worth more than other people's C7's ... ;-)

Originally Posted by ^&right
" In 2021, stick shift enthusiasts comprised only 0.9% of the U.S. auto market. By 2022, that number jumped to 1.2%, and sales figures for the first few months of 2023 indicate that the proportion has already hit 1.7%. This is still very marginal, but it does represent an increase of nearly 89%. The phenomenon also seems to be visible on the used car market, as the Autotrader website records a 13% increase in visits to manual transmission pages compared to last year."

Demand for manual transmission demands are making a noticed increase among automakers. Wish I knew the reason why. Either old farts like us are buying that many more new cars (impossible) or younger buyers are seeing the fun and enjoy the experience. Either way, having a manual C7 isn't going to be a negative during resale anytime soon.

https://www.guideautoweb.com/en/arti...nearly%2089%25
That's good information! On the other hand, it seems the total pool of driving enthusiasts is going down.

Originally Posted by Vettefanboii
I was honestly relieved GM decided to only make DCT C8s.
I truly hope that C8 DCT is better than the herky jerky DCT (and SMG's) I've driven. In traffic those are no good. On the hand, the DCT in my Africa Twin was seamless in traffic. Not sure why some brands can't figure it out.
Old 03-04-2024, 11:23 AM
sjw91
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AnotherNorskie
I truly hope that C8 DCT is better than the herky jerky DCT (and SMG's) I've driven. In traffic those are no good. On the hand, the DCT in my Africa Twin was seamless in traffic. Not sure why some brands can't figure it out.
I've driven a couple C8s on the track, and the DCT was spectacular. I'm hardly an expert, but the pro reviews have compared it very favorably to the Porsche PDK in operation. On the other hand, they have had some reliability issues. Also, the required maintenance on the C8 DCT is frequent and expensive. Fluid is like $45 a quart, and the 12 quarts need to be replaced every 3 years. Plus a $300 filter.

Last edited by sjw91; 03-04-2024 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-04-2024, 03:11 PM
inspectorudy
Burning Brakes

Received 324 Likes on 196 Posts

After reading this article about manuals bringing more than autos I went on the local Market Place on FB to see what it is like here near Atlanta. I didn't find one single manual and almost no true convertibles. I say true because some are T-tops and to me, aren't a real convertibles. Out of approximately 100 cars for sale, only four were convertibles. To find a truly rare combo in my area would be a real convertible with an M7. I also agree with the suggestion that dealers are not looking for M7s because they are not popular with most people. Private sales probably are different because of the rarity of M7s.
Old 03-04-2024, 05:09 PM
sjw91
Burning Brakes

I did a quick cars.com nationwide search for 2019 Stingrays for sale. 107 cars found, and 23 were manuals - so ratio is about the same as production. I'm not about to study what options they all have on them, but the automatics actually seem to be listed about $2k more than the manuals. But they're all in the same price range, so it's probably about even.
Redsoxnation (03-04-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 05:15 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,008 Likes on 2,890 Posts

Sounds right-on. ^^^^

The automatic transmission Corvettes are an easier/slam dunk sale, than the straight-drive Corvettes. Hence, the straight-drives are a more difficult sale, and, the automatics will garner MORE.

FWIW.....The automatic transmission C7s had a $2K higher MSRP list as an Optional add-on.
Old 03-04-2024, 11:04 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by sjw91
I did a quick cars.com nationwide search for 2019 Stingrays for sale. 107 cars found, and 23 were manuals - so ratio is about the same as production. I'm not about to study what options they all have on them, but the automatics actually seem to be listed about $2k more than the manuals. But they're all in the same price range, so it's probably about even.
I didn't want to be bothered by them so I didn't sign up. Is there a way to know if that was the asking price you saw or what actually it has sold for like on eBay?
Old 03-05-2024, 02:34 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 876 Likes on 588 Posts

Default Best security system...............

.......................yup, hard to steal these days
Old 03-05-2024, 04:14 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dbirdhouse1
.......................yup, hard to steal these days
For who? A pro thief? Would not even slow him down. Back in 1950, it was easy to hotwire the car but I don't think it is that easy today. Biggest problem a joyride thief would have. Pro thief would be able to drive it off.
Old 03-05-2024, 04:33 PM
CPB
Pro

Received 258 Likes on 173 Posts

Unfortunately the gear ratio's are nerfed on manuals right now, so they are slower than the shorter geared automatics. It isn't to sell more automatics, but instead to help with mandatory testing on emissions and MPG.
Old 03-05-2024, 05:51 PM
sjw91
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by aklim
I didn't want to be bothered by them so I didn't sign up. Is there a way to know if that was the asking price you saw or what actually it has sold for like on eBay?
I really don't know what you're saying. There's nothing to sign up for. They just list cars for sale, and those are the asking prices from dealers and private sellers. Once sold, they aren't shown anymore.
Old 03-05-2024, 06:20 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by sjw91
I really don't know what you're saying. There's nothing to sign up for. They just list cars for sale, and those are the asking prices from dealers and private sellers. Once sold, they aren't shown anymore.
Top right hand corner has a "sign in". I didn't know if you can see what it sold for but I didn't want to go further. Sold price tells me more than what you want to get for it, hence the question.
Old 03-05-2024, 06:37 PM
sjw91
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by aklim
Top right hand corner has a "sign in". I didn't know if you can see what it sold for but I didn't want to go further. Sold price tells me more than what you want to get for it, hence the question.
It's not an auction
Old 03-05-2024, 06:42 PM
Let It Ride
Melting Slicks

Received 923 Likes on 531 Posts

As someone mentioned earlier and I started a thread on it one time, just look at BAT auction site. The manuals command a premium in the same car. The ZR1's really show it as the manuals were some times getting 30K more vs the same car with the auto. And like I said another time, I have a 2019 GS M7 2LT with low miles. If I wanted to sell it and you found the exact car only with the auto, you are going to pay me $2500-$3500 more for mine. And you know what, I will get it.
NortonCO (03-31-2024)
Old 03-05-2024, 07:39 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Let It Ride
As someone mentioned earlier and I started a thread on it one time, just look at BAT auction site. The manuals command a premium in the same car. The ZR1's really show it as the manuals were some times getting 30K more vs the same car with the auto. And like I said another time, I have a 2019 GS M7 2LT with low miles. If I wanted to sell it and you found the exact car only with the auto, you are going to pay me $2500-$3500 more for mine. And you know what, I will get it.
I don't know if it makes $3500 difference to everyone. Some people, yes. Everyone, probably not.
Old 03-05-2024, 07:52 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,008 Likes on 2,890 Posts

If, and when I sell my 2017 M7 Stingray, I'll do the same thing. It's not a Fire Sale item, and It'll command a higher price because it's an M7, and, I'm not negotiating down in price.
NortonCO (03-31-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To Are manual transmissions sought after?

Old 03-05-2024, 08:08 PM
Let It Ride
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by aklim;1607591569[b
][/b]I don't know if it makes $3500 difference to everyone. Some people, yes. Everyone, probably not.
Exactly, that's the target audience, I don't need everybody. There are plenty of the "some people"
NortonCO (03-31-2024)
Old 03-05-2024, 08:12 PM
Let It Ride
Melting Slicks

If, and when I sell my 2017 M7 Stingray, I'll do the same thing. It's not a Fire Sale item, and It'll command a higher price because it's an M7, and, I'm not negotiating down in price.
Me neither. You want the M7 you will pay for it. And they will!
NortonCO (03-31-2024)
Old 03-05-2024, 08:46 PM
mdolandese
Melting Slicks

Received 747 Likes on 561 Posts

Exactly, that's the target audience, I don't need everybody. There are plenty of the "some people"
that’s exactly how I feel
NortonCO (03-31-2024)

Quick Reply: Are manual transmissions sought after?