C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ceramic Rotors Squeal and Life VS GS 2 Piece & Stolen C7!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2024, 02:29 PM
colinlee2312
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ceramic Rotors Squeal and Life VS GS 2 Piece & Stolen C7!

Hi All,.

our last 17 GS brakes squealed pretty bad with the metallic pads. so we switched to ceramic pads. Well shortly after it was stolen! We are now looking at a 17 Z06 with ceramic rotors. What am i getting into? will they squal worse and or can i put cermaic pads on a ceramic rotor if it came down to it? What is your opinion of ceramic rotors. I am not paying extra for them, but i am concerned of what the squealing and future expense holds with them in comparison. Thanks!
Old 02-29-2024, 08:08 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

The Brembo Carbon Ceramic Brakes (called J57 brakes by GM) take a specific pad. Don't use every day pads made for steel rotors. There are only a few pad options that I'm aware of that will fit and they are quite expensive - well over $1K for front and rear. But in normal street use they should never wear out.
I love them. I like how they look and how they perform. Plus they do not dust. But, they will on occasion squeal. This is well documented (lots of videos on YouTube about it). For the most part doing several hard stops from speed will cure the squealing for a while.
Old 02-29-2024, 11:41 AM
car2fast4you
Melting Slicks

Received 528 Likes on 283 Posts

My carbon ceramic brake pads/rotors with about 20K miles only squeak occasionally. I can confirm that a few hard stops from about 60 MPH or higher cures the squeaking for several thousand miles.
Old 03-03-2024, 02:48 AM
cheetah45
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

My CCB’s rarely squeak/squeal. Very low dust. I’ll enjoy them til I need to replace them.

Get notified of new replies

To Ceramic Rotors Squeal and Life VS GS 2 Piece & Stolen C7!

Quick Reply: Ceramic Rotors Squeal and Life VS GS 2 Piece & Stolen C7!