Rear end clunking after rear sway bar install

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2024, 01:56 PM
GMGearJammer
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Rear end clunking after rear sway bar install

2017 Stingray. I added the OEM GS sway bar and bought new oem end links. I get a clunking from the rear passenger side when going over uneven road, but can't reproduce the sound by pushing around the car in the garage. My sway bar bushings look good (not twisted or bound). the angle of the bushings into the sway bar are straight up and down. Is this correct? Should it be more angled so the bar can move up and down or is the purpose to be stiff and not move?

I'm not sure if I should buy aftermarket end links to try to solve the problem?
Old 02-16-2024, 04:00 PM
fuzzy03cls
Pro

Received 272 Likes on 153 Posts

Did you re-use the bolts? They need to be new. They are TQ bolts & once used should not be used again. I replaced the endlink nuts as well on my install.
Everything TQ'd to spec?
Old 02-16-2024, 07:22 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,779 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by GMGearJammer
2017 Stingray. I added the OEM GS sway bar and bought new oem end links. I get a clunking from the rear passenger side when going over uneven road, but can't reproduce the sound by pushing around the car in the garage. My sway bar bushings look good (not twisted or bound). the angle of the bushings into the sway bar are straight up and down. Is this correct? Should it be more angled so the bar can move up and down or is the purpose to be stiff and not move?

I'm not sure if I should buy aftermarket end links to try to solve the problem?
Did you torque the end links to spec? "Tight" isn't good enough. In addition, it's good practice to have them unloaded when you tighten them by raising the lower a-arm with a jack.
Old 02-17-2024, 09:55 PM
geewez
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 120 Posts

I had a similar problem when I replaced the rear sway bar on my C6. You'll need to loosen the end links, then retorque the nuts to spec using a torque wrench. Be sure to use a thin, open end wrench on the opposite site of the nut to hold it while you use the torque wrench. Solved my cluncking noise by doing that.
Old 02-19-2024, 06:25 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,242 Likes on 3,474 Posts

If still not found, get it up in the air so you can move the suspension around. If it only occurred after your work on it, you know most likely where to start. All the best!
Old 02-19-2024, 10:58 PM
FireRoc
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Did you “spin” or turn the end link bushing bolts? On my C6 I did that and the end links rattled/clunked after that. I wound up having to replace the end links.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear end clunking after rear sway bar install

Quick Reply: Rear end clunking after rear sway bar install