C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil changes? Recommendations? Jiffy lube?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2024, 04:48 PM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,657 Likes on 1,212 Posts

Originally Posted by GOLD72
I would never go to a wham bam thank you super fast place franchise shop. If not a dealership, go to a professional indie auto repair shop. I don’t want somebody touching my car if they are trying to get it done in 5 minutes!!
Old 02-21-2024, 05:59 PM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by BAT
. After all, oil is oil and a filter is a filter, right?
Wrong!
Old 02-21-2024, 09:26 PM
BAT
Le Mans Master

Received 1,242 Likes on 545 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by fnbrowning
Wrong!
It was (a bad attempt at) sarcasm 😕
The following users liked this post:
fnbrowning (03-11-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 09:40 PM
GTS Bruce
Burning Brakes

Received 511 Likes on 303 Posts

Change the oil? Just add more when the level goes down. Also throw in a can of STP if the mechanical sounds seem to be getting louder.
Wujekcity (02-23-2024)
Old 02-22-2024, 06:09 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,738 Likes on 3,014 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Woodson
Not a chance...
Jiffy Lube? I'll pass
Old 02-22-2024, 07:40 AM
DGA3
Melting Slicks

Received 642 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by ZO6LIFE
Jiffy lube
Old 02-22-2024, 09:08 AM
Vette E Boop
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 76 Posts

Are you feeling lucky? Do you like to take risks, gambling with health and/or operation of your vehicle? As someone else suggested, at the least, buy a set of Race Ramps and DIY. Personally, I invested in a QuickJack to perform all fluid changes, cleaning, etc.

However, with my other vehicles, I actually purchase filter/oil/fluids and take to a locally-owned place that will service and I trust. In all the years—45–I have had service done at nationwide places—JiffyLube, Meineke, Take5, etc.—I’ve had fewer than ten instances where the filter was not seated properly, oil plug not screwed in properly or tightened correctly. Once, oil was accidentally filled into transmission fluid.

At a minimum, a low profile floor jack and jack stands can be used. For me, safety and peace-of-mind led me to first purchase RaceRamps and finally, a QuickJack. The only complaint I have regarding QuickJack is its weight. However, it does have rollers on one end which helps with storing.
Old 02-22-2024, 12:09 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,605 Likes on 2,816 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

Do it yourself. It is pretty simple and you can learn about your car. Here’s a nice article from Hib on how to change the oil on a dry sump engine like yours.

https://www.corvettemagazine.com/c6-...ystem-service/
Wujekcity (02-23-2024)
Old 02-22-2024, 01:37 PM
badbillyb70
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I was allowed 4 free oil changes on my 2015 z51 dry sump. Two times when the dealer did the change, the oil level was way too high and i had to take oil out. I checked the oil level the way it should be checked with the proper temperature and the 5- 8 minute wait period after the engine was shut down. I got myself some race ramps and starting doing the oil changes myself and now know that it is done correctly. Have also used the race ramps for changing my transmission fluid on my M7 and also my differential fluid. Since the dealer could not seem to get it right, then I feel that lots of other oil change places would not do it correct either. Just my 2 cents
Old 02-22-2024, 11:22 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Originally Posted by badbillyb70
I was allowed 4 free oil changes on my 2015 z51 dry sump. Two times when the dealer did the change, the oil level was way too high and i had to take oil out. I checked the oil level the way it should be checked with the proper temperature and the 5- 8 minute wait period after the engine was shut down. I got myself some race ramps and starting doing the oil changes myself and now know that it is done correctly. Have also used the race ramps for changing my transmission fluid on my M7 and also my differential fluid. Since the dealer could not seem to get it right, then I feel that lots of other oil change places would not do it correct either. Just my 2 cents
IDK about dry sump but for 20 years, I haven't had an MB problem like that because my TECH got it right. You had issues, IMO because, I suspect, because you don't know your TECH. You know of your DEALER. Tell me if this is how it happens for you. You drop the car off, they call you when it is done by some luck of the draw person. You go home and find problems and now you brand the DEALER. I got to know my TECH from small jobs. I watched how he works. I give him some tips and get to know him personally. When I drop it off to the dealer, either he works on it or nobody does. I get him to do some side work. OTOH, there was a tech there that was very experienced and knowledgeable but would take shortcuts. I also had a backup, BTW. The SA is there to book the appointments and do other tasks. The TECH communicates with me directly. Currently, I am trying to get to know my F250 TECH and the Corvette TECH.
Old 02-23-2024, 01:01 AM
Wujekcity
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Squeaky Wheel
Agree. I’m guessing much of the intimidation or hesitancy involves the process of getting the car up in the air to work under it. The actual oil change part is pretty simple.
Agreed...im not very mechanical, but I know how easy it is to actually change the oil. My issue would be to get it into the air. Sounds like racing rampw are the easiest way? Anyone know about how much a set would cost ? Also you juar need a pair to lift up the front end correct??
Old 02-23-2024, 01:04 AM
Wujekcity
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Factoid
Do it yourself. It is pretty simple and you can learn about your car. Here’s a nice article from Hib on how to change the oil on a dry sump engine like yours.

https://www.corvettemagazine.com/c6-...ystem-service/

My car is a dry sump? Guess I need to look u0 what that actually means haha

And fyi everyone..I have an appointment next Tuesday at The Corvette Center in Newington CT.
Old 02-23-2024, 01:51 AM
sotrx
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 76 Posts

I change my own oil on both vettes.

autozone is the cheapest place to get 10 quarts (get the deal of 5 quarts for $38.99… two times). They also have the PF64 filter which is the only one you should be using.

good luck
Old 02-23-2024, 09:58 AM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,367 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
IDK about dry sump but for 20 years, I haven't had an MB problem like that because my TECH got it right. You had issues, IMO because, I suspect, because you don't know your TECH. You know of your DEALER. Tell me if this is how it happens for you. You drop the car off, they call you when it is done by some luck of the draw person. You go home and find problems and now you brand the DEALER. I got to know my TECH from small jobs. I watched how he works. I give him some tips and get to know him personally. When I drop it off to the dealer, either he works on it or nobody does. I get him to do some side work. OTOH, there was a tech there that was very experienced and knowledgeable but would take shortcuts. I also had a backup, BTW. The SA is there to book the appointments and do other tasks. The TECH communicates with me directly. Currently, I am trying to get to know my F250 TECH and the Corvette TECH.
thanks for the read. They must love when you walk in the door.
Factoid (02-23-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 03:39 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Woodson
thanks for the read. They must love when you walk in the door.
I bring donuts and coffee. My tech gets to empty my ashtray. BTW, I don't smoke.
Old 02-23-2024, 04:07 PM
MosEspa
Pro

Received 295 Likes on 166 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Let me put it this way... There is a reason quick-lube places are cheaper (sometimes by half) than a lot of other places for alignments, oil-changes, tires, brakes/rotors (labor costs).... etc.
Old 02-23-2024, 04:21 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MosEspa
Let me put it this way... There is a reason quick-lube places are cheaper (sometimes by half) than a lot of other places for alignments, oil-changes, tires, brakes/rotors (labor costs).... etc.
Do those places require a $50 an hour, highly qualified ASE tech? IIRC, their business model isn't about oil change. Upsell air filters, etc.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil changes? Recommendations? Jiffy lube?

Old 02-23-2024, 04:49 PM
MosEspa
Pro

Received 295 Likes on 166 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by aklim
Do those places require a $50 an hour, highly qualified ASE tech? IIRC, their business model isn't about oil change. Upsell air filters, etc.
Yup.
And the quality of work (my experience across multiple states with multiple cars) is usually worse at chain lube shops. I am sure there are some great people out there that work hard and do good work at those places. But typically people who are paid better do better work. I know that's not across the board with everything and there are so many other factors but it's generally true with any aspect of life - In other words "You get what you pay for."

I would rather pay a few bucks more to an independent shop that has been in business for 50 years - but that's just me and unfortunately not everyone has that option and those places are dying out.

Old 02-23-2024, 09:50 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,122 Likes on 727 Posts

I took my son’s 2004 G35 sedan years ago to a quick lube place on the spur of the moment thing instead of the local Infiniti dealership. PITA!! Got the car done and back home with it dripping oil in my driveway where I first spotted it. I thought they failed to torque the filter correctly and took it back to them. They checked it and told me it was just oil dripping from the lower engine compartment closure panel. Such a hurry they took the shortcut to not remove the panel and just let oil fall onto and collect on the upper side of the panel. And still dripping when I got home the second time as they failed to clean it after I complained about the leakage. So I took the panel off myself and cleaned it. Never again will I trust a quick lube place touch a car of mine. What a bunch of clowns. Should have just changed the oil myself after all the effort I had to take to clean that closure panel of the oil drippage.
Old 02-24-2024, 01:47 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MosEspa
Yup.
And the quality of work (my experience across multiple states with multiple cars) is usually worse at chain lube shops. I am sure there are some great people out there that work hard and do good work at those places. But typically people who are paid better do better work. I know that's not across the board with everything and there are so many other factors but it's generally true with any aspect of life - In other words "You get what you pay for."

I would rather pay a few bucks more to an independent shop that has been in business for 50 years - but that's just me and unfortunately not everyone has that option and those places are dying out.
At any place, until trust is built IN THE PERSON, I will supervise. I don't care if it is independent, dealer or quick lube. Obviously, quick lube is difficult since people move more. I have found, in most vocations, people work best when monitored. I don't believe that you get what you paid for these days. Work ethic in general SUCKS. Doesn't matter if you are blue collar or white collar. Just because you are willing to pay doesn't mean you will get what you want. I have not had any better luck with independents. I have learned that it depends on who you pick and if you can't, ensure they don't be comfortable screwing it up.

Quick Reply: Oil changes? Recommendations? Jiffy lube?