Sponsored by:

SLK Tinted LED Marker Lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2024, 08:06 AM
JasonR2021
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Ski
And I don't think there is a big difference in the brands of copper tape, or is 1 brand a little better than the other ??
Thank you again,
Rich
I wouldn't think so as far as brand goes unless one is thicker than the other. I'm pretty sure the coper tape I got was a Chinese brand from Amazon a few years back. If feels about like aluminum foil but maybe a few mils thicker. It's very easy to work with and the adhesive is nice and strong.
Old 01-30-2024, 08:11 AM
JasonR2021
Instructor

Originally Posted by mdolandese
How long have you been driving with them and how far each time? Hwy driving or city driving. There was a thread about the front right TPMS going on and everyone tried everything including myself to prevent it with no luck. Didn’t use the copper tape more like foil also used forgot what you called them like a clamp in all different sizes to try and block and that didn’t work. Do you think the copper would make that big of a difference? I wrapped all my lights and the front right TPMS light still comes on. But it doesn’t come on constantly. I have to be driving awhile on the Highway. Just don’t know if it’s worth taking them all out and redo with copper thoughts thanks
I've only been driving about two hours total at city and highway speeds. Maybe hold off until I have more time on mine to know for sure. As soon as it warms back up here a little I will get out and put some more time on them.
Old 01-30-2024, 08:20 AM
JasonR2021
Instructor

I'm not sure if I want to go through that ordeal again. Having to remove the stock lights, now tape the JW Motorsports install them and find that they don't work just as before. Are you certain this will stop all of the issues with the lights ??
Thank you again,
Rich
Am I certain this will stop the issue? No, I am not. I never claimed to have the end all fix for this issue. I just thought I would share what I bought, what mod I did to them, and how they worked so far. I stated that I only had about two hours drive time on them so far. It's entirely possible I will come back here in a few weeks and say that despite all my efforts I now have the same issue. I just don't know yet. Also, you say it was an ordeal. To be fair, I thought installing these was really easy. At least on my 2019, it has been one of the easiest mods I've done so far.
The following users liked this post:
miami08VETTE (01-30-2024)
Old 01-30-2024, 08:25 AM
JasonR2021
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Subscribing to this thread. I have the side maker lights from JW Motorsports and occasionally get the TPS light z(RF). The copper tape could be the answer. A link to the specific tape used would be appreciated.
Here is the exact one I bought back in 2017. It's no longer available but I'm sure you will be able to find a similar tape.
Amazon Amazon
H Watkins (01-30-2024)
Old 01-30-2024, 08:28 AM
JasonR2021
Instructor

No and I have the same ones you have. The only issue I have is the TPMS light comes on showing the front right tire is low. It doesn’t do it constantly, but I know it just a matter of time and it’s usually when I’m on the highway. I just bought some copper tape and I’m going to give it a try one last time. It’s been awhile and I have my front canards off ( installing new carbon flash front spats) so what the heck. The funny thing is I’ve had a set of Oracles and never put them on yet. They stick out a little bit compared to these and I like how well these lay and sit flush. If this doesn’t work I may try to dremel down the oracles a hair and change them. I saw a guy on YouTube do it and they looked perfect. I’m scared I’ll probably screw them up Lol I did ask my Corvette tech and he said with the TPMS on it wouldn’t harm anything and I could drive with the light on. You just don’t know if your tire is ever low. I just keep an eye on it and it is really flaring up my OCD!! What a pain in the ***!!!
I would apply two layers to the raised area on the back of the light. I'm sure that's where the drive electronics are.
Red86Cfour (02-23-2024)
Old 01-30-2024, 08:33 AM
heyjoelb
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts

From Vette Lights I ordered Oracle LED side marker lights painted ghosted Arctic White. Have not had time to install yet but am very excited to do so. Had read about yellowing, but went ahead and took the chance. Decided to spend the $$ for Oracle thru Vette Lights after reading TPMS challenges and watching the how to video @thecorvettechannel . Prior to ordering, I contacted Oracle directly and they said they didn't offer ghosted Arctic White any longer. No reason why given but suspect it may be because of discoloring? Anyway, decided to give it a shot through Vette Lights. And, FWIW, I also ordered smoked LED rear reflector replacement lights which I think I'll connect to the brake lights.

Old 01-30-2024, 08:41 AM
JasonR2021
Instructor

Originally Posted by heyjoelb
From Vette Lights I ordered Oracle LED side marker lights painted ghosted Arctic White. Have not had time to install yet but am very excited to do so. Had read about yellowing, but went ahead and took the chance. Decided to spend the $$ for Oracle thru Vette Lights after reading TPMS challenges and watching the how to video @thecorvettechannel . Prior to ordering, I contacted Oracle directly and they said they didn't offer ghosted Arctic White any longer. No reason why given but suspect it may be because of discoloring? Anyway, decided to give it a shot through Vette Lights. And, FWIW, I also ordered smoked LED rear reflector replacement lights which I think I'll connect to the brake lights.
Those are sweet! I didn't realize you could still get the arctic white through another vendor. If mine do start giving me issues and I can't get around it then these are what I will order.
Old 01-30-2024, 09:03 AM
heyjoelb
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonR2021
Those are sweet! I didn't realize you could still get the arctic white through another vendor. If mine do start giving me issues and I can't get around it then these are what I will order.
I contacted Vette Lights first by email to confirm they could do the ghosted white. Once they confirmed, I ordered them. Took about 5-6 weeks to receive. Good Luck!
Old 01-30-2024, 10:44 AM
ICONIC7
Pro

Received 532 Likes on 279 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Do you drive on the highway for a substantial amount of time ever? Because that’s usually when it happens
I would say my max drive time on the highway is 2 hours.
Old 01-30-2024, 12:37 PM
GS583
Burning Brakes

Received 311 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by stevettec7
The issue with the “less expensive” side maker lights causing TPMS faults on certain model years is related to the frequency that the LED emits is in the range of the front/right TPMS and that interferes with the receiver. I don’t recall when GM changed the frequencies. Maybe after 2017? I had a set in my ‘15 from Amazon(China) that would set the fault fairly consistently at night while driving at highway speeds. I wound up biting the bullet and getting Oracles.
I for one can verify that my 19 Z still exhibits the issue. I have the "donuts" on my wires and it still sets the fault. I will try the copper tape as the car is in storage over the winter.
OP: Did you ground the foil?
Old 01-30-2024, 01:12 PM
miami08VETTE
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 579 Likes on 334 Posts

Guys it is obvious that the C7 is overly sensitive to changes to the electronics. I want to think that too many LED's is making the ECU unhappy. I went with the 2-LED set from ACS composite. No issues and I actually like the more subtle look. Good luck getting things squared away!
capt911 (01-30-2024)
Old 01-30-2024, 02:51 PM
Vette Ski
Melting Slicks

Received 1,076 Likes on 694 Posts

I just ordered Lucea "Thick" 2" X 21 ft. copper foil tape. I searched for a thicker version of the copper foil tape ( there probable is something better , but ---- ) and I hope this will do making the gremlins stay away !
Rich
Old 01-30-2024, 03:04 PM
Elk
Le Mans Master

Received 3,257 Likes on 1,723 Posts

Originally Posted by ICONIC7
I would say my max drive time on the highway is 2 hours.
Uninterrupted continuous non-stop highway cruising?

I ask because I would experience the TPMS warning only after driving at 60 MPH or so continuously for around 20 minutes.
Old 01-30-2024, 03:22 PM
capt911
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

[QUOTE=miami08VETTE;1607477940]Guys it is obvious that the C7 is overly sensitive to changes to the electronics. I want to think that too many LED's is making the ECU unhappy. I went with the 2-LED set from ACS composite. No issues and I actually like the more subtle look. Good luck getting things squared away![/QUOTE

Hey John. I am like you and want the more subtle look. Are you happy with the fit and finish of the ASC side marker lights and do they sit Flush? Most important to me?
I just got An artic white car a month ago with all carbon flash accents. I thought putting the smoked side markers would really set it off. Also thinking or ordering the ACS Composites side skirts I hear their quality and fitment is good even though they are a bit pricey. You get what you pay for usually though.
PM me or hopefully hear back from you on here.
Chattanooga guy as well just North of
Thank Dave
Old 01-30-2024, 03:32 PM
mdolandese
Melting Slicks

Received 747 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by Elk
Uninterrupted continuous non-stop highway cruising?

I ask because I would experience the TPMS warning only after driving at 60 MPH or so continuously for around 20 minutes.
It varies for me. One time it when on after 20 minutes another time it when on about after an hour. (continuously on the highway)When I first wrapped them with just foil( not copper foil) It was like over and hour I thought it fixed it, then around 10 minutes later it when on. I’m going to put a double layer of copper on and if that doesn’t work I’m waving the white flag.
Elk (02-01-2024)
Old 01-30-2024, 03:56 PM
Vette Ski
Melting Slicks

It varies for me. One time it when on after 20 minutes another time it when on about after an hour. (continuously on the highway)When I first wrapped them with just foil( not copper foil) It was like over and hour I thought it fixed it, then around 10 minutes later it when on. I’m going to put a double layer of copper on and if that doesn’t work I’m waving the white flag.
Good Luck with this. I probably won't be doing mine until the weather breaks here in Jersey !
Rich
Old 01-30-2024, 04:19 PM
mdolandese
Melting Slicks

Received 747 Likes on 561 Posts

Good Luck with this. I probably won't be doing mine until the weather breaks here in Jersey !
Rich
I’m near Chicago so I’m not going to be able to test it out until the weather breaks here as well. At least it will be done and I’ll be ready for spring. My garage is heated it will give me something to do lol

Get notified of new replies

To SLK Tinted LED Marker Lights

Old 01-30-2024, 04:38 PM
JasonR2021
Instructor

Originally Posted by GS583
I for one can verify that my 19 Z still exhibits the issue. I have the "donuts" on my wires and it still sets the fault. I will try the copper tape as the car is in storage over the winter.
OP: Did you ground the foil?
I don't see ferrite beads ("donuts") really helping much. Maybe slightly if the wires were acting as antennae's for the interference. I did not ground the foil but that was going to be my next step. I was going to use my multimeter to find which pin is ground then drill a hole in the side of the connector housing on the light and feed in a ground wire around that pin. I would then solder the other end to the copper tape. I'm hoping that wont' be needed and so far doesn't seem like it on mine.
Old 01-30-2024, 04:54 PM
JasonR2021
Instructor

Yeah, I only did about 10 minutes at 55mph so I'm going to say the jury is still out then. It's really odd why highway speeds (I'm guessing 65-70mph) would trigger the issue. The TPMS sensors activate above 12mph so they should be sending signals most of the time while driving. The only thing I can think of may be heat that is generated at highway speeds (our cars have TPMS sensors that monitor tire temps) gets sent in a different way than pressure. It will be interesting to see if the copper foil helps others who are going to try it. Hopefully it will. If mine do start showing errors I won't give up right away. I will throw one of them on my oscilloscope to see what frequencies and being thrown out.
Old 01-30-2024, 05:27 PM
Vette Ski
Melting Slicks

I’m near Chicago so I’m not going to be able to test it out until the weather breaks here as well. At least it will be done and I’ll be ready for spring. My garage is heated it will give me something to do lol
Good Luck, I hope one of us gets to find a solution to what these people ( JW Motorsports LLC and others) who sold us this trash without testing it well before putting it on the market. You would think they would have tested them more thoroughly before selling it !
Rich

Quick Reply: SLK Tinted LED Marker Lights