Scotchgard on leather seats?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2024, 04:32 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Default Scotchgard on leather seats?

Anybody done this? Any problems? Better options? The red leather seats on my C7 are pretty porous and fragile. Have had some problems with staining.
Old 01-26-2024, 05:23 AM
Mecinoid
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Anybody done this? Any problems? Better options? The red leather seats on my C7 are pretty porous and fragile. Have had some problems with staining.
Just use a good leather cleaner. I use a micro fiber towel so I do not scratch the leather.. But,you might want to try Magic Eraser from Mr. Clean.

Truth is with difficult stains I have used lighter fluid then washed off with soapy water and then leather cleaner and protector to keep leather soft so it doesn't crack as much.

Scotch guard is for water proofing. If you mean Scotch Pads... Please don't
The following users liked this post:
Artarmy (01-27-2024)
Old 01-26-2024, 05:39 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mecinoid
Just use a good leather cleaner. I use a micro fiber towel so I do not scratch the leather.. But,you might want to try Magic Eraser from Mr. Clean.

Truth is with difficult stains I have used lighter fluid then washed off with soapy water and then leather cleaner and protector to keep leather soft so it doesn't crack as much.
Thanks, but I'd rather have them more resistant to staining in the first place.
Old 01-26-2024, 10:22 AM
Rabbi
Deal Maker

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 246 Posts

CF car care section https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...discussion-10/
Old 01-26-2024, 10:48 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Rabbi
Thanks, I didn't find anything about it there. Did you have a specific thread or post in mind?
Old 01-26-2024, 11:07 AM
Gixxerman

Received 3,762 Likes on 2,135 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified
St. Jude Donor '18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

There is so much coating on them probably wouldn't really penetrate a darn thing. I clean with microfiber and warm water. I use ANgelWax Heaven For Leather when I get a dirtyier area... Scothchguard would work on say a floor matt I think quite well, clean it first with Chemical guys Foaming Citrus Fabric Cleaner then scothguard.. they make a good scotchguard like protectant as well.. but seats? Unless coating is completely deteriorated or something.. most chemicals just aren't going to do much
Old 01-26-2024, 11:13 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Gixxerman
There is so much coating on them probably wouldn't really penetrate a darn thing. I clean with microfiber and warm water. I use ANgelWax Heaven For Leather when I get a dirtyier area... Scothchguard would work on say a floor matt I think quite well, clean it first with Chemical guys Foaming Citrus Fabric Cleaner then scothguard.. they make a good scotchguard like protectant as well.. but seats? Unless coating is completely deteriorated or something.. most chemicals just aren't going to do much
Thanks.The leather seats on my wife's Subaru were pretty much bullet-proof. Large dogs hauled around; fast-food grease and ketchup from the grandkids wiped right off, even a day later. Water-based stuff would just bead up and sit there. After 120 thousand miles of stuff like this, they still looked brand new.
The seats on my Corvette must have gone down the production line the day the coating tank refiller guy called in sick.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 01-26-2024 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-26-2024, 12:14 PM
Raidercop
Racer

Received 354 Likes on 154 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Since there is a plastic type coating on the leather how about a ceramic spray wax? Just an idea...
Old 01-26-2024, 02:37 PM
JimInSoCal
Heel & Toe

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Investigate Leather Shield, just did my wife's new Lexus RX350 with seats that are almost white, it is a ceramic coating for leather. It is easy to apply, doesn't change the color, doesn't make the leather shiny, though it does make them a little more slippery, noticeable, but not that obvious. They say it last a year and provides UV protection as well. Available on Amazon.
Old 02-02-2024, 06:54 PM
Mecinoid
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 32 Posts

Personally, I use Lexol Leather cleaner and protestant. My upholstery guy made the suggestion. As did my mother in law that uses it on her expensive horse saddles.
Old 02-03-2024, 10:35 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,427 Likes on 14,043 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Have never used Scothguard on leather seats - not sure if it would do much good as the seats are coated. All I have used is a moist cloth with at times a mild dishwashing soap to clean off any dirt. Luckily I have not had any stains to deal with.
Old 02-03-2024, 01:35 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,367 Likes on 791 Posts

Personally, I use Lexol Leather cleaner and protestant. My upholstery guy made the suggestion. As did my mother in law that uses it on her expensive horse saddles.
Odd that an upholstery guy would suggest this since the cleaner and protectant are not touching the leather. Your mother in law's expensive horse saddles on the other hand likely don't have a plastic coating and those products probably work beautifully.
Old 02-03-2024, 01:45 PM
mbaessler
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodson
Odd that an upholstery guy would suggest this since the cleaner and protectant are not touching the leather. Your mother in law's expensive horse saddles on the other hand likely don't have a plastic coating and those products probably work beautifully.
Tadge said only warm water and a microrag is required on our leather seats.
The following users liked this post:
Woodson (02-03-2024)
Old 02-03-2024, 01:51 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,367 Likes on 791 Posts

^ all I've ever used and all I've ever needed.
Old 02-03-2024, 03:08 PM
Elk
Le Mans Master

Received 3,257 Likes on 1,723 Posts

But,you might want to try Magic Eraser from Mr. Clean.
Keep in mind Magic Eraser works because it is a fine abrasive.

I would not sand any leather.
Old 02-04-2024, 10:47 AM
AnotherNorskie
Pro

Received 287 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Thanks.The leather seats on my wife's Subaru were pretty much bullet-proof. Large dogs hauled around; fast-food grease and ketchup from the grandkids wiped right off, even a day later. Water-based stuff would just bead up and sit there. After 120 thousand miles of stuff like this, they still looked brand new.
The seats on my Corvette must have gone down the production line the day the coating tank refiller guy called in sick.
Likewise, the leather seats on my Audi look brand new, with more miles than my Corvette. In addition to GM using crappier materials, my C7 is more likely to sit out in the sun and bake. I'm sure that has an effect on it.

Like most C7's the side bolsters take a beating and the leather feels paper thin. I've used mink oil on the seats and it seems to have made the leather more resilient.
Old 02-05-2024, 04:04 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 456 Likes on 342 Posts

Cleaner and conditioner from Maguirers is what i use.

Get notified of new replies

To Scotchgard on leather seats?

Old 02-08-2024, 05:37 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks everyone. With all the different recommendations, some of which are pretty pricey and labor-intensive to apply, it's been hard for me to come up with a clear winner. So I'll flip back to the basics:
Inelegant as the name on the product might sound, what about plain-'ol Scotchgard? Anyone?
If they changed the name to King-gard, Worldgard, or Galaxygard, and raised the price to 100 bucks, would the product get more traction with Corvette enthusiasts? Or does that have nothing to do with anything?
Old 02-11-2024, 12:50 PM
Racer1735
Pro

Received 223 Likes on 103 Posts

My opinion, and what seems to be the opinions of several on this thread, is that GM puts a Very Solid sealant on its leather seats in the Corvette (leather, not Alcantara), so it doesn't really matter what you put on them, the applied protectent/conditioner/etc. isn't going to penetrate the OEM sealant and get to the leather. Having said that, I use Griot's 3-in-1 leather conditioner simply because I like the leather smell!
Old 02-11-2024, 02:31 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Racer1735
My opinion, and what seems to be the opinions of several on this thread, is that GM puts a Very Solid sealant on its leather seats in the Corvette (leather, not Alcantara), so it doesn't really matter what you put on them, the applied protectent/conditioner/etc. isn't going to penetrate the OEM sealant and get to the leather. Having said that, I use Griot's 3-in-1 leather conditioner simply because I like the leather smell!
Thanks, Racer1735. As I mentioned earlier, partly in jest, my C7 seats must have gone down the line on the day the coating material tank ran dry.

The durability and resistance to staining problems were not only my C7, but every Corvette I have owned, (compared to other cars with leather seats I have owned, with the exception that the staining problem was much less evident when the seats on my Corvettes were black).

Another thing: The stitching on the seat cushion is starting to tear through the leather. Already torn completely through at some points, with only around 11K miles on the car. Same thing happened on my C5.
I only weigh between 170 and 180 pounds, so Corvette or GM apologists, please don't bother wasting your or my time on accusing me of fat dude car abuse.

Quick Reply: Scotchgard on leather seats?