Question about wheel locks, performance data recorder, exhaust modes

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2023, 02:13 AM
KittyHeart
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Question about wheel locks, performance data recorder, exhaust modes

Question about wheel locks, performance data recorder, exhaust modes

1) im not sure i have wheel locks or not installed; i look at my wheels, i see 5 hexagonal lug nuts that all look the same. this is not my picture below, but you can see all 5 lug nuts look the same (no nut below has a special design to indicate a locking lug nuts)

in the car i see this:

how can i tell if wheel locks are installed on my car or not? all the "tops" of the hexagonal lug nuts all look the same with no lug nut differentiation pattern to indicate it is a wheel lock

in this picture below, you can see the clear wheel lock differentiation:

^ mine does not look like that; cant tell if wheel locks are installed on mine

2) i inserted a new sd card into the pdr, it says no card inserted on the screen:

is the card bad, or the card reader bad or?

3) performance exhaust, in this video at the 14 sec mark, the exhaust valves open:

how do i open and close the exhaust valves on the screen?

Last edited by KittyHeart; 12-29-2023 at 02:20 AM.
Old 12-29-2023, 03:18 AM
aadadams
Racer

Received 257 Likes on 123 Posts

On your number 2, I had a similar issue. bought new card formatted the cards to fat32 as suggested here to no avail. Turned out to be a bad cable that my dealer fixed for the cost of the cable. I hope you can resolve yours by formatting the card... If not, the dealer may be your best option.
Old 12-29-2023, 05:24 AM
shekmark427
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 122 Likes on 62 Posts

You likely don't have the wheel locks installed. Looks like new black lug nuts were installed. All the same. I believe our cars came with chrome. My 14 has factory black wheels and chrome lugs. I just bought a full set of blacks to replace them. No locks going on. Took them off my kids Jeep too. Those lock keys can get lost or misplaced and that sucks , especially if a flat on the road. I am really not too worried that my wheels will get stolen. Maybe that’s location dependent. I suspect robbers are more likely to take the whole car.
Old 12-29-2023, 07:24 AM
BAT
Le Mans Master

Received 1,239 Likes on 543 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified

It should be easy to spot the locking lug nut, just as you described. If you have a package, maybe they just weren't installed/used?

Make sure the SD card isn't in the locked position. Note on the left side, there's a slide tab and a picture of a lock. Make sure the card isn't locked. If it is, the PDR will not be able to record to it, and will display a no card found. Also make sure it's inserted into the correct slot. I believe in the earlier models, the slot was in the center console, and the later models it was moved to the glove box y 2017 is in the glove box).

The NPP exhaust modes can be changed two ways. With the mode selector dial, changing the mode to sport or track will also activate the values to open/close at certain RPMs. Or, you can manually change it in the settings, sound management (on the infotainment screen). Its usually set to "auto" which will then coordinate with the dual setting, or you can set it to any of the modes, no matter what the dial is set to. I usually set mine to track so the valves are open, not matter what I have the mag ride selection set to (I'm usually in tour or sport). This of course assumes you have NPP. The easiest way to tell, is to look at the exhaust tips. You should be able to see the actuators just behind the tips on the pipes after the muffler.
Old 12-29-2023, 02:52 PM
CraigStu
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 301 Posts

I spent 20+ years as a Lexus dealer tech. Both dealers where I worked always installed wheel locks. All the techs spent many a pain in the butt time removing damaged wheel lock nuts. A lot of those cars had been towed in because the tire was flat. On all our personal cars, if it comes w/ wheel locks, they are removed and replaced w/ standard lug nuts.
The following users liked this post:
shekmark427 (12-31-2023)
Old 12-29-2023, 10:05 PM
aadadams
Racer

Received 257 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by BAT

I believe in the earlier models, the slot was in the center console, and the later models it was moved to the glove box y 2017 is in the glove box).
The slot in the console in early models was not for the PDR, it was to play multimedia on the infotainment system.
Old 12-29-2023, 10:33 PM
BAT
Le Mans Master

Received 1,239 Likes on 543 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by aadadams
The slot in the console in early models was not for the PDR, it was to play multimedia on the infotainment system.
Correct, my mistake (and wasn't sure).

I did find this older video of it helps the OP

Old 12-29-2023, 10:56 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 781 Likes on 472 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

My wheel locks don't have that squiggly pattern on the top, they have points like a regular nut but are not symmetrical.
Old 12-29-2023, 11:06 PM
KittyHeart
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

thanks all for replying!

for the pdr, i got it to work! format sd card to fat32 format, it works

question is, when i turn off my car and leave, the pdr is still recording on its own i saw. can this drain my battery dead? how long does it keep recording when im out of the car? (i noticed after shopping i came back the recording was off)
Old 12-30-2023, 04:35 PM
redman76
Melting Slicks

Received 347 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by KittyHeart
question is, when i turn off my car and leave, the pdr is still recording on its own i saw. can this drain my battery dead? how long does it keep recording when im out of the car? (i noticed after shopping i came back the recording was off)
It will automatically stop recording after 30-60 seconds after engine is turned off. It won't drain your battery.
Old 12-30-2023, 08:03 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,956 Likes on 5,345 Posts

Originally Posted by redman76
It will automatically stop recording after 30-60 seconds after engine is turned off. It won't drain your battery.
However, the PDR recording will be no good if you let the car power off while the PDR is recording. If you want your data you need to stop recording before the car's power is turned off. Learned that lesson very quickly while at the track and couldn't see my recording.

Bill
Old 12-31-2023, 12:42 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,364 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by CraigStu
I spent 20+ years as a Lexus dealer tech. Both dealers where I worked always installed wheel locks. All the techs spent many a pain in the butt time removing damaged wheel lock nuts. A lot of those cars had been towed in because the tire was flat. On all our personal cars, if it comes w/ wheel locks, they are removed and replaced w/ standard lug nuts.
The usefulness of wheels locks is hotly debated, I use them.
First thing I do with wheel locks is buy two extra keys- one key stays at home in my garage and two keys are hidden in the car.
Problems that you prepare for, never happen.

Get notified of new replies

To Question about wheel locks, performance data recorder, exhaust modes

Quick Reply: Question about wheel locks, performance data recorder, exhaust modes