C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

14 Stingray 44k miles. Extended warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2023, 05:57 PM
My12thVette
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Default 14 Stingray 44k miles. Extended warranty?

I have a chance to buy a 14 2LT Stingray with 44k miles at a fair price. Car is immaculate and has a 17 page Carfax report of regular serviced. 1 owner.
I have never spent this amount of money on a 9 year old car with no warranty. Should I invest in an aftermarket warranty like Endurance? I was informed that Zurich sells the best one, but only available from dealers. They usually try and make a killing on warrantees. Any suggestions from the experts here? I am coming back over from the dark side of Hellcat ownership. Had a dozen Vettes from C3s to C7s. This car would be a placeholder until my budget allows a C8. I'm just concerned about the torque tube and electronics. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 12-05-2023, 07:22 PM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 801 Likes on 450 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

I would not have bought mine had a warranty not been offered.
The following users liked this post:
c5arlen (12-06-2023)
Old 12-05-2023, 07:36 PM
Wujekcity
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

a 9 year old car in 2023 with 43k is in my opinion still in the break in period! haha Id love to comment or share my opinion on the warranty for the car but I need to know the specs and terms of the warrant? most importantly what is the cost??
Old 12-05-2023, 07:37 PM
Wujekcity
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by corvettezman
I would not have bought mine had a warranty not been offered.
understand your concerns about the warranty, but its hard to give an opinion or advice without knowing the cost of the warranty and what it covers?
Old 12-05-2023, 09:52 PM
DrivesWithTwoFeet
Drifting

Received 908 Likes on 469 Posts

Call some local Chevy Dealers and find out what they offer
Old 12-05-2023, 09:54 PM
ZSkipper
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

In that I'm in New England, I drive my Corvettes shiny days, rainy days, snowy days, bright of day, and black of night, I often pick up hi-mileage cars, and just acquired a 2018 A8 C7, 97k miles. Knowing of the torque-tube, tensioner and various other 'issues' incumbent with C7 ownership, these issues can either be dealt with 'hopefully', or allowing sound-sleeping nights...with an extended warranty. I engaged in considerable research regarding a hi-mileage extended warranty, knowing I was buying a 90k-mile C7. As you well know, there are numerous companies trying to vacuum up our dollars, promising to keep our machines continuously ticking like a sewing machine. Except...when the 'fine print' says otherwise. So, after conversing with Endurance, Carchex, CarShield, etc...comparing prices and especially querying them regarding 'contra-indicated' items, I discovered a company that is flying mostly under the radar. American Dream Car Protect (sounds like a Disney ride..), was the policy I chose (https://americandreamautoprotect.com/). After an extended and engaging conversation with Anthony, the cost became $68/month. The period is 65 months, and everything except 'cosmetics' is covered. So, that's my story...and I'm sticking to it! ~ Buzz
Old 12-05-2023, 10:18 PM
IA-SteveB
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ZSkipper
In that I'm in New England, I drive my Corvettes shiny days, rainy days, snowy days, bright of day, and black of night, I often pick up hi-mileage cars, and just acquired a 2018 A8 C7, 97k miles. Knowing of the torque-tube, tensioner and various other 'issues' incumbent with C7 ownership, these issues can either be dealt with 'hopefully', or allowing sound-sleeping nights...with an extended warranty. I engaged in considerable research regarding a hi-mileage extended warranty, knowing I was buying a 90k-mile C7. As you well know, there are numerous companies trying to vacuum up our dollars, promising to keep our machines continuously ticking like a sewing machine. Except...when the 'fine print' says otherwise. So, after conversing with Endurance, Carchex, CarShield, etc...comparing prices and especially querying them regarding 'contra-indicated' items, I discovered a company that is flying mostly under the radar. American Dream Car Protect (sounds like a Disney ride..), was the policy I chose (https://americandreamautoprotect.com/). After an extended and engaging conversation with Anthony, the cost became $68/month. The period is 65 months, and everything except 'cosmetics' is covered. So, that's my story...and I'm sticking to it! ~ Buzz
Have you had to use it yet? I'm curious what made you choose that over Endurance?
Old 12-05-2023, 11:12 PM
aadadams
Racer

Received 257 Likes on 123 Posts

Seems the issue is not getting a warranty at a reasonable price... It is getting the company to honor the warranty when an issue crops up. I would like to hear about your experience if/should you have t use the warranty.
Old 12-05-2023, 11:50 PM
My12thVette
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ZSkipper
I hope you never have to make a claim. The BBB reviews are pretty bad.
Old 12-05-2023, 11:53 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 1,964 Posts

Originally Posted by aadadams
Seems the issue is not getting a warranty at a reasonable price... It is getting the company to honor the warranty when an issue crops up. I would like to hear about your experience if/should you have t use the warranty.
My Carmax one on the truck seems to work out easily.
Old 12-05-2023, 11:55 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 1,964 Posts

Originally Posted by My12thVette
I have a chance to buy a 14 2LT Stingray with 44k miles at a fair price. Car is immaculate and has a 17 page Carfax report of regular serviced. 1 owner.
I have never spent this amount of money on a 9 year old car with no warranty. Should I invest in an aftermarket warranty like Endurance? I was informed that Zurich sells the best one, but only available from dealers. They usually try and make a killing on warrantees. Any suggestions from the experts here? I am coming back over from the dark side of Hellcat ownership. Had a dozen Vettes from C3s to C7s. This car would be a placeholder until my budget allows a C8. I'm just concerned about the torque tube and electronics. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Carfax only tells what is reported so if it isn't, good luck. I would say that you should buy a car with AT LEAST a 30 day warranty and let a Corvette Certified Tech do a thorough PDI on it. They should know the weak points and what to look for. Beyond that, it is your comfort level.
Old 12-06-2023, 04:17 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,439 Likes on 14,048 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I also have a 2014 and recently had my GM extended warranty expire on the car. As a follow-up, I purchased a follow-on warranty from Endurance. Reviews were positive and a check with my local dealer revealed positive comments about them working with Endurance to resolve claims. Only had the new warranty since 11/22/23 so no experience with the claims process.
Old 12-06-2023, 06:39 AM
shekmark427
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 122 Likes on 62 Posts

I also just bought a 2014 with no warranty. 31K miles. I went with Endurance 60 month plan. I went with the Supreme plan which is bumper to bumper, no cosmetic of wear items. I spoke to them and Carchex and the dash seems to not be covered and I have 3LT. Oh well. I am more worried about the Torque tube and lifter issues. It was $29 and first month down, and 140/mo for 36 month, (no contract so can get out any time), the remaining 18 months for no payment. Averages out to $84/mo if I keep it for the full term. There is a refund for selling early, prorated so how much nobody could tell me. It is fully transferable to a new owner or can stay with me to a different car if I move on. My sales person was really excellent and there was zero hard sell ( unlike Carchex) Endurance keeps everything in house ( direct pay)and does not send out estimates to get out of paying. Happy to share his phone number. I can reach him easily. Carchex was a giant call center with a different person each time. Not for me. Good luck!

Last edited by shekmark427; 12-06-2023 at 08:55 AM.
COSkier (12-06-2023)
Old 12-06-2023, 08:13 AM
ZSkipper
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I haven't used the warranty yet, but 'American' is a 'direct-pay' to any Chev dealership, not a company that uses a third-party provider, with the accompanying payment questions and resultant delays. Yes, I think Endurance is excellent, as are a few others, but the American premium policy I believe will work for me at that price. I can opt-out anytime, with a pro-rated refund. In terms of on-line 'reviews'...I question who did the posting?? Could it possibly be a 'competitor'?? No, that's a conspiracy theory!! Cheers and Happy Holidays to All! ~ Buzz
shekmark427 (12-06-2023)
Old 12-06-2023, 08:39 AM
IA-SteveB
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 53 Posts

I try to read as much as I can on any company I am going to do business with. I like to read BBB, but I don't let that be my deciding factor. Let's be honest, no one is going there to report anything positive. I think some of the complaints get resolved with no follow-up from the reporting party and others end up being exclusions the reporting party wasn't aware of. I am still sure a majority of complaints are issues that really upset the customer, though. There are going to be headaches with any warranty company and there is no silver bullet.
Old 12-06-2023, 11:18 AM
AnotherNorskie
Pro

Received 287 Likes on 180 Posts

If you're purchasing the car from a dealer they will likely have a slew of warranty companies and plans to select from.

Once you've narrowed down your options, go to the service department and ask them what their experience with that company is - i.e. easy to work with or not, etc.

Re: the electronics: The main big one is the infotainment unit - but if that has already been repaired per your VIS and Carfax, then you likely won't have that issue.

The torque tube thing can be expensive, but you may also never have to deal with it, in which case an extended warranty is merely a prepayment on a repair you might not even have to do. For instance, if it costs $3k to R/R a torque tube, do you want to prepay $3k in case you have a TT issue in the next 3-5 years? The other option is to pay for an inspection of the TT (I don't know how effective these are).

The other failures I can think of is the thrust bearing and lifters, which can be engine-destroying failures, and are more common with the automatics.
Old 12-07-2023, 10:19 PM
kodpkd
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 443 Posts

Did you already purchase the car? When I purchased my 2014 the dealer, of course, tried to sell me the extended warranty, I was able to bargain it down $1000, It's worth a try.

Get notified of new replies

To 14 Stingray 44k miles. Extended warranty?

Old 12-08-2023, 12:25 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,011 Likes on 2,891 Posts

I'm of the belief that a 9-year old 40K miles Corvette at a very good price, that's all sound as in test driving it and checks out, seeing all the Carfax and maintenance service history at Chevy dealers, is worth buying without a warranty.

I bought a 9-year old 2006 Mercedes-Benz E320 CDI, with 59K miles, ALL Carfax and matching Mercedes-Benz dealer records in great condition. Car has 84K on it now. I've spent about $8K on it total, but I spare no expense to keep it in tip top shape. Car was priced @ $23K, after negotiations, cost me $18,500.00 at a Mercedes-Benz dealership. I'm pleased with it.

I just happen to only want to buy my Corvettes NEW. I'm pleased with my 2017 3LT M7 MSRC convertible, 10K miles GM Platinum Extended Warranty to Dec. 2024.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 12-08-2023 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 12-08-2023, 06:42 AM
capt911
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by My12thVette
Just in the process of buying a 2016 corvette now and was approved for the GM Chevrolet warranty up to 60/60 with 0/100/250 deductible options. They only insure 8 model years back 2015 as of now but end of year is coming and up to 44k miles on corvettes. To use them you need to have a dealer do a complete inspection and sign off on it. It took me awhile to find the right car and situation where the dealer would inspect it for me. I do believe If your buying a CPO car from dealer if you get the paperwork they will accept that as well.
good luck with what ever you decide. Personally for me I was willing to pay for piece of mind buying an older car and planning on keeping it awhile.
Old 12-08-2023, 01:48 PM
c5arlen
Melting Slicks

Received 834 Likes on 596 Posts

Ease your mind, save your money, when broken sell the car, buy another one, a Corvette for sure, plenty around, move on with the new one and a new experience.. just think... no dealings with insurance companies.... besides, Stingray Corvettes seldom break down and never the bank!

Quick Reply: 14 Stingray 44k miles. Extended warranty?