Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new Corvette is wrecked - is it bad?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2023, 02:20 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,011 Likes on 2,891 Posts

No help here, but that sure is a strikingly beautiful Torch Red Blk wheels, C7 coupe.
Old 12-08-2023, 03:08 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Originally Posted by GlaringAtNight
I brought my car back to the same repair shop that previously resolved the Flex Plate and Drive Shaft problems. After inspecting the vehicle in person, the mechanic informed me that it required several additional repairs to make it on the road again, he mentioned the need for a new Spindle (Knuckle), Inner and Outer Right Tie Rods, and a Front Upper Control Arm.

When it comes to bodywork, I think that would be the challenging part. Finding a RED OEM fender specifically designed for a Corvette C7 in Saudi Arabia, where I currently reside, or in Dubai at least, seems to be the most difficult task in this situation, but I will ask repair shops if they can fix it without the need to buy a new fender.
As long as the fender is made from SMC and isn't carbon fiber it should be repairable. SMC is easy to repair if the proper patching procedure is followed. One of the advantages of having a plastic car.

Bill
Old 12-10-2023, 10:08 AM
Jaykoh-Z51
Drifting

Received 395 Likes on 267 Posts

Try to find out of there are any traffic cameras, security cameras...etc.

Perhaps another driver's dash cam video...but that is probably harder to acquire now.
Old 12-11-2023, 12:18 PM
FLX C7
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I hope you have hired a lawyer; even the Middle East has them.
Old 12-11-2023, 11:26 PM
Vegas Vette
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 137 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Black
I could NEVER run a dash cam unless it has an instant delete button.

The day I feel I need to run a dash cam in this country is the day I know we've truly hit third world country status.

Las Vegas has some of the highest insurance rates due to how bad people drive here. I run dash cameras in all 3 of our cars. It will keep you from getting sued or stuck with someone saying it was all your fault personal injury lawyers are vulture's here. You get in a wreck your fault or not your getting sued guaranteed. A good Dash Cam will save your ***.

We have already hit third world country status..
Old 12-12-2023, 03:14 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 1,964 Posts

Originally Posted by Vegas Vette
Las Vegas has some of the highest insurance rates due to how bad people drive here. I run dash cameras in all 3 of our cars. It will keep you from getting sued or stuck with someone saying it was all your fault personal injury lawyers are vulture's here. You get in a wreck your fault or not your getting sued guaranteed. A good Dash Cam will save your ***.

We have already hit third world country status..

Assuming it isn't your fault, how many times would it be helpful? 1%? 2%? 20%? Any statistics to back it up? Does insurance think it helps and gives you a discount for having one since they belive in it?
Old 12-12-2023, 03:36 AM
Vegas Vette
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by aklim
Assuming it isn't your fault, how many times would it be helpful? 1%? 2%? 20%? Any statistics to back it up? Does insurance think it helps and gives you a discount for having one since they belive in it?
I prefer not getting sued for no reason in an accident but hey you do whatever you like.. I will have dash cam video evidence of what actually happened. I don't think you get a discount on your insurance for having a dash cam if you have any wealth you need to protect yourself from frivolous lawsuits.
Old 12-12-2023, 07:29 AM
aklim
Team Owner

I prefer not getting sued for no reason in an accident but hey you do whatever you like.. I will have dash cam video evidence of what actually happened. I don't think you get a discount on your insurance for having a dash cam if you have any wealth you need to protect yourself from frivolous lawsuits.
I know you don't get a discount. That is my point. Your insurance company is "on the hook" for your accident. If that could help you, and in so doing, help them mitigate claims, I'm sure they will be all over it. OTOH, if it is fear mongering by a camera company to drive sales, probably not.
Old 12-12-2023, 10:48 AM
AnotherNorskie
Pro

Received 287 Likes on 180 Posts

Las Vegas has some of the highest insurance rates due to how bad people drive here.
I suspect Kentucky does too, one of the main takeaways from traveling through KY is the preponderance of billboards advertising personal injury lawyers.

if you have any wealth you need to protect yourself from frivolous lawsuits.
Whereas some play the lottery to be able to retire, others hope to sue someone with deep pockets. Neighbors and icey driveways, tenants afraid to use ladders to change lightbulbs, etc. Umbrella policy for the win!
Old 12-12-2023, 11:59 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AnotherNorskie
I suspect Kentucky does too, one of the main takeaways from traveling through KY is the preponderance of billboards advertising personal injury lawyers.

Whereas some play the lottery to be able to retire, others hope to sue someone with deep pockets. Neighbors and icey driveways, tenants afraid to use ladders to change lightbulbs, etc. Umbrella policy for the win!

All this is the fault of the citizens. Can't say I feel sorry for people.
Old 12-13-2023, 03:50 AM
Vegas Vette
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AnotherNorskie

For sure we have a umbrella policy just in case people are sure happy in this country. If you have managed to work hard and build some wealth in life you have to take steps to protect you and your family.
Old 12-13-2023, 05:19 AM
aklim
Team Owner

For sure we have a umbrella policy just in case people are sure happy in this country. If you have managed to work hard and build some wealth in life you have to take steps to protect you and your family.
Why would people not be sue happy? It's free money. Go get some. Many already have so why not you, right? I don't blame them for trying to get their share. I blame the people that made it happen.
Old 12-13-2023, 01:26 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 456 Likes on 342 Posts

Question ? why did the kid make u turn at this point? this might have added to the crash in my opinion.
Old 12-13-2023, 04:52 PM
Vette Ski
Melting Slicks

Received 1,076 Likes on 694 Posts

Was this a place to make a "legal" U turn or did you make a U turn where you were not supposed to and that is what led to the accident ?
Rich
Old 12-14-2023, 05:34 AM
GlaringAtNight
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, It was 100% a legal U-Turn to make, I have attached a picture of the street where the accident occurred for a better understanding

Old 12-14-2023, 05:53 AM
GlaringAtNight
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

UPDATE: The authorities have rejected my initial appeal regarding the rate of responsibility for the accident. They claim that I swerved into the other vehicle while making a U-turn, which makes me fully responsible for all the damages caused. However, I strongly believe that I did not deviate into the other lane, and there is no concrete evidence to support their claim, except for the statements made by the other parties involved.

I was told by the Traffic Authorities that if I truly believed I was not at fault, I had the option to hire lawyers and take the case to court. However, this process could take several months, and unfortunately, I do not possess any camera evidence to support my side of the story, so it's going to be difficult to win this case

After deep consideration, I have decided to accept what has happened. I will proceed with repairing my car, and my insurance will handle the rest of the damages
I plan to purchase a front/rear Dashcam to have evidence in the future. Although the situation is disappointing, I acknowledge that it could have been worse. so I choose to remain grateful that I'm okay and the fact that my Corvette is not totaled.

I will post regular updates on the progress of rebuilding the car.
Old 12-14-2023, 10:05 AM
Vette Ski
Melting Slicks

Received 1,076 Likes on 694 Posts

Good luck with getting your 'Vette back to where it was prior to the unfortunate event that caused you and your 'baby pain !
Rich

Last edited by Vette Ski; 12-14-2023 at 11:04 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To My new Corvette is wrecked - is it bad?

Old 12-14-2023, 10:19 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by GlaringAtNight
UPDATE: The authorities have rejected my initial appeal regarding the rate of responsibility for the accident. They claim that I swerved into the other vehicle while making a U-turn, which makes me fully responsible for all the damages caused. However, I strongly believe that I did not deviate into the other lane, and there is no concrete evidence to support their claim, except for the statements made by the other parties involved.

I was told by the Traffic Authorities that if I truly believed I was not at fault, I had the option to hire lawyers and take the case to court. However, this process could take several months, and unfortunately, I do not possess any camera evidence to support my side of the story, so it's going to be difficult to win this case

After deep consideration, I have decided to accept what has happened. I will proceed with repairing my car, and my insurance will handle the rest of the damages
I plan to purchase a front/rear Dashcam to have evidence in the future. Although the situation is disappointing, I acknowledge that it could have been worse. so I choose to remain grateful that I'm okay and the fact that my Corvette is not totaled.

I will post regular updates on the progress of rebuilding the car.
Instead of playing attorney, maybe consult a few attorneys and see what they say? Hopefully you have not dug yourself into too deep a hole for them to help.
Old 12-15-2023, 03:38 PM
dcova
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

My coworker was in a crash a few years ago. The other driver changed lanes without checking her blind spot and collided into the side of my coworker car. When the police arrived, the other driver claimed that my coworker improper lane changed and crashed into her. She (other driver) played the role of a damsel in distress. Her tears were a waterfall. She could have won an academy award for best actress.

The police officer at the scene was readying to issue citations to my coworker for improper lane change and careless driving…until he showed him his dashcam video of what really happened.
The following users liked this post:
^&right (12-16-2023)
Old 12-15-2023, 04:05 PM
IA-SteveB
Instructor

Received 103 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by dcova
My coworker was in a crash a few years ago. The other driver changed lanes without checking her blind spot and collided into the side of my coworker car. When the police arrived, the other driver claimed that my coworker improper lane changed and crashed into her. She (other driver) played the role of a damsel in distress. Her tears were a waterfall. She could have won an academy award for best actress.

The police officer at the scene was readying to issue citations to my coworker for improper lane change and careless driving…until he showed him his dashcam video of what really happened.
Priceless.

A similar situation happened to my 17-year-old son, who also has a dashcam. He was behind a car at a stop sign and the car was too far out into the intersection with traffic coming. My son couldn't tell, of course. I mean, why would you be looking for that? Well, the driver slammed it into reverse and backed into my son's car with force, tearing up his front bumper cover and buckling the hood. The other guy admitted it was dumb at the scene and when the cops got there and interviewed them separately, the offender told a different story, that my son had bashed into him from behind. My son was shocked, but then calmly offered the video evidence from his front-facing cam. The act of being caught in a lie is priceless! Needless to say, my son's car is getting fixed at the offender's cost.

Quick Reply: My new Corvette is wrecked - is it bad?