Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aventador style tailights

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2024, 08:29 AM
Andydp
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I've been looking at getting the Aventador Taillights for my C7 ZO6. I saw a video that showed the process, It looks like it involves removing the back to replace them. I can contact a club member who worked for a customizer to help with the installation. Would it make sense to buy all the lights from one source like Vette Lights or Oracle ?

For my questions:

Do you really need to take the back "cover" off ? Do these one piece lights come with LED backup lights also ?

I would love to get the LED side marker lights while things are apart. I also want to replace the reflectors at the back of the car (under the taillights parallel with the top of the license plate) with LED. Has anyone done the back reflector swap ? Do they activate when you hit the brakes or are just a "marker" light ? While everything is apart,: how hard is it to change the license plate lights ?

Sorry for all the questions. Its either this or a series of random postings as I go along. Thank you all for your patience !

On the plus side: We're getting closer to Corvette driving weather in Upstate NY. For those in Fl or SC: How's the fire ants doing ?
Old 02-17-2024, 08:52 AM
BAT
Le Mans Master

Received 1,253 Likes on 549 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Andydp
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I've been looking at getting the Aventador Taillights for my C7 ZO6. I saw a video that showed the process, It looks like it involves removing the back to replace them. I can contact a club member who worked for a customizer to help with the installation. Would it make sense to buy all the lights from one source like Vette Lights or Oracle ?

For my questions:

Do you really need to take the back "cover" off ? Do these one piece lights come with LED backup lights also ?

I would love to get the LED side marker lights while things are apart. I also want to replace the reflectors at the back of the car (under the taillights parallel with the top of the license plate) with LED. Has anyone done the back reflector swap ? Do they activate when you hit the brakes or are just a "marker" light ? While everything is apart,: how hard is it to change the license plate lights ?

Sorry for all the questions. Its either this or a series of random postings as I go along. Thank you all for your patience !

On the plus side: We're getting closer to Corvette driving weather in Upstate NY. For those in Fl or SC: How's the fire ants doing ?
Although I don't have the Aventador lights, I do have another brand and style. I already had a set or Oracle side market lights, which were very easy to install and could be done without removing much, and you'd be halfway there if removing the rear cover (the fronts are just as easy).

If you plan to do the lower facia reflectors lights, you'll need to remove the bumper cover. Since you're looking to do the taillights too, it makes it all that much easier to do all at the same time. If you were doing just the taillights, you wouldn't need to remove it, but it does make the process a little easier.

The lower facia reflectors aren't powered, so adding a set of LED lights would require you to tap power from somewhere. Most sets are just parking lights (like the side marker lights) so tapping into the side marker is all thats needed. If (big if) you're able to find a set that has the brake/turn/parking functions, you'll need to tap into thr taillights harness.

The entire process wasn't nearly as difficult as I anticipated it to be. I procrastinated doing for a while, thinking it was going to be difficult. Once I jumped in, and did it, I kicked myself for waiting.

Old 02-17-2024, 10:09 AM
Andydp
Pro

Originally Posted by BAT
Although I don't have the Aventador lights, I do have another brand and style. I already had a set or Oracle side market lights, which were very easy to install and could be done without removing much, and you'd be halfway there if removing the rear cover (the fronts are just as easy).

If you plan to do the lower facia reflectors lights, you'll need to remove the bumper cover. Since you're looking to do the taillights too, it makes it all that much easier to do all at the same time. If you were doing just the taillights, you wouldn't need to remove it, but it does make the process a little easier.

The lower facia reflectors aren't powered, so adding a set of LED lights would require you to tap power from somewhere. Most sets are just parking lights (like the side marker lights) so tapping into the side marker is all thats needed. If (big if) you're able to find a set that has the brake/turn/parking functions, you'll need to tap into the taillights harness.

The entire process wasn't nearly as difficult as I anticipated it to be. I procrastinated doing for a while, thinking it was going to be difficult. Once I jumped in, and did it, I kicked myself for waiting.

https://youtu.be/kE0zYmrsmGw?si=Cp8ggsinWFF8LmDC
Who makes the ones in the video ? Most important: what part of CT are you from ? I lived in Stratford most of my life. Moved to NYS in 1983
Old 02-17-2024, 10:28 AM
BAT
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Andydp
Who makes the ones in the video ? Most important: what part of CT are you from ? I lived in Stratford most of my life. Moved to NYS in 1983
I honestly don't know the manufacturer. Those were given to me from another forum member that never installed them, and eventually moved to a C8. I believe they were bought from Amazon. The key is they need 4 wires and not 3. Many others have said they no longer make the 4 wire sets, but I can't confirm that. If you are able to find a 4 wire set, there's a great wire schematic that was a tremendous help to find what wires to tap into for each function.

I live up in Stafford Springs. Moved there 2 years ago from central MA
Old 02-18-2024, 01:54 AM
westsdad
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by BAT

The lower facia reflectors aren't powered, so adding a set of LED lights would require you to tap power from somewhere. Most sets are just parking lights (like the side marker lights) so tapping into the side marker is all thats needed. If (big if) you're able to find a set that has the brake/turn/parking functions, you'll need to tap into thr taillights harness.

https://youtu.be/kE0zYmrsmGw?si=Cp8ggsinWFF8LmDC

I honestly don't know the manufacturer. Those were given to me from another forum member that never installed them, and eventually moved to a C8. I believe they were bought from Amazon. The key is they need 4 wires and not 3. Many others have said they no longer make the 4 wire sets, but I can't confirm that. If you are able to find a 4 wire set, there's a great wire schematic that was a tremendous help to find what wires to tap into for each function.
I've found some 4-wire rear LED reflectors but they may be for a European C7 as the lid of the box has the following wiring label (added what LED came on when I wired to a 12V DC source in parentheses):

Black Wire: Negative
Red Wire: Rear Fog Light (red LED)
Blue Wire: Reversing Light (red LED)
Yellow Wire: Turn Signal Light (sequential yellow LED)

Found the following pin out on the forum (Left Side) and there is a rear fog light wire so now I'm wondering if there is logic between the Rear Fog Light and the Reversing Light to control the brightness of the Red LED for parking / brake light and not having a Red LED lit when the Turn Signal is active on the left or right (or neither with Hazards on)?

@BAT I'd appreciate a copy of your wiring schematic that you used for your rear LED reflectors.

Here's were I picked up the set of 4 wire LED reflectors (the ad doesn't say 4-wire but they are):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08NFKXG1R?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08NFKXG1R?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

The part number on them is lac-rft-rr-ccor14-seq-ar-sm and is the same part number for the ones at Pro Tuning Lab
https://www.protuninglab.com/lac-rft...seq-ar-sm.html

Here's a 12V controller that I may have to use on them (have the module put lower voltage out for running lights or higher voltage for brake lights) to the reflector red wire):
https://corsomotion.com/products/led...32276787921034

Here's another option with an OEM reflector fitted with an LED board and a controller that you can have a single color Red LED but have parking, brake, and turn signal outputs
Pricey and it took ~ 6 weeks to get. Will be getting mine on Wednesday. 5V LED's and controller board.
https://corsomotion.com/collections/...=8682756866139

Last edited by westsdad; 02-18-2024 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Updated info
Old 02-18-2024, 01:23 PM
Andydp
Pro

Thank You ! I'll be doing some research into this possibility.

Like the ads say: the more visibility the better..

Thanks again !!
Old 02-18-2024, 01:55 PM
BAT
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by westsdad
Found the following pin out on the forum (Left Side) and there is a rear fog light wire so now I'm wondering if there is logic between the Rear Fog Light and the Reversing Light to control the brightness of the Red LED for parking / brake light and not having a Red LED lit when the Turn Signal is active on the left or right (or neither with Hazards on)?

@BAT I'd appreciate a copy of your wiring schematic that you used for your rear LED reflectors.
@westsdad thats the one I used. Just double check the leads from the new LED to make sure their chart matches what they labeled (mine had two that were swapped).

My suggestion is to get everything wired and tested before putting the rear facia back into the car. I found out the hard way I tapped ONE wrong wire and had to take it off again to fix it.
The following users liked this post:
westsdad (02-18-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 02:24 PM
westsdad
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by BAT
@westsdad thats the one I used. Just double check the leads from the new LED to make sure their chart matches what they labeled (mine had two that were swapped).

My suggestion is to get everything wired and tested before putting the rear facia back into the car. I found out the hard way I tapped ONE wrong wire and had to take it off again to fix it.
@BAT Thanks! Will do. I get the VLAND tail lights tomorrow and will be pulling the rear facia off this week.

By chance, were your Rear LED reflectors labeled as I have listed above and did you wire them into the Rear Fog Lamp Control and Backup Lamp Control (and turn signal), or did you wire into the Stop Lamp Control and Park Lamp Control (and turn signal control)?
Old 02-18-2024, 02:31 PM
BAT
Le Mans Master

@BAT Thanks! Will do. I get the VLAND tail lights tomorrow and will be pulling the rear facia off this week.

By chance, were your Rear LED reflectors labeled as I have listed above and did you wire them into the Rear Fog Lamp Control and Backup Lamp Control (and turn signal), or did you wire into the Stop Lamp Control and Park Lamp Control (and turn signal control)?
I did the stop, signal and park. I'll find my post I started when I did mine and link it for reference

westsdad (02-18-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 02:38 PM
RonR80
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 125 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I also have them and love them ,

The following 2 users liked this post by RonR80:
AZRenegade (02-18-2024), westsdad (02-18-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 03:22 PM
BAT
Le Mans Master

@westsdad it took a little searching, but I finally found one of my old posts when I did mine

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1606540412

Wire diagram for both left and right sides, as well as the one that came with the lower facia LEDs

westsdad (02-18-2024)

Quick Reply: Aventador style tailights