Sponsored by:

Paint issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2023, 09:32 PM
Ret26
Navigator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Paint issue

I have a 2016 C7 coupe purchased new, and was curious if anyone has had a problem with the clear coat. I have a section on the hood, the roof and both sides of the rear hatch which are dull and very rough to the touch. However both sides of the vehicle are smooth and shine like they did when I bought the car. It appears the clear coat did not hold up on those flat surfaces.
Old 09-22-2023, 10:16 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,439 Likes on 14,048 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Have not had a problem like that with my 2014. You might want to take it to a top notch body shop and see what they might be able to do to the affected areas to make them look like the rest of the car.
The following users liked this post:
Artarmy (12-17-2023)
Old 09-22-2023, 10:53 PM
Pineapple
Burning Brakes

Received 796 Likes on 381 Posts

Many factors, has your car been parked outside or garaged outside? How many miles on your car and do you park it above something that could potentially fall or drip on it? As long as you don’t have clearcoat failure those rough patches should be able to be polished out with no issue.
Artarmy (12-17-2023)
Old 09-22-2023, 11:08 PM
T0XiC417
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I really wish I would have gotten some before pictures, but my Torch Red 16 had this same issue going on. Although the hood and top were not affected, the hatch, quarter panel tops, door tops, and tops of fenders were. I had seen the same issue reported on a couple Watkins Glen Gray cars and was worried it was beyond repair. Mine also had some water spotting etched into the clear on the fender tops. I just recently had my local reputable body shop buff the entire top half of the car and was shocked it actually came out looking like a sheet of glass. I could not believe it was able to be saved. Grand total was $400.
Rabbi (09-23-2023)
Old 09-23-2023, 07:28 AM
joeking
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Did you try a clay bar?
The following 2 users liked this post by joeking:
Rabbi (09-23-2023), Ret26 (09-23-2023)
Old 09-23-2023, 10:26 AM
Ret26
Navigator

No haven’t tried a clay bar. But I guess my real issue is that this appears to be a defect in the application of the clear coat, which is why I asked if anyone else has had this issue. I previously owned a 2009 corvette the same color, and when I traded it in on this 2016 the paint on it was immaculate. I never did anything special for my 09 other than a weekly wash and keep it waxed with either Meguiers or Mothers polishing wax. Both cars have been parked outside and both cars were bought new. The problem is either the clear coat paint was bad or not applied properly. I would think if the paint was bad it would have been an issue on more than one vehicle.

Last edited by Ret26; 09-23-2023 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Forgot to add something
Old 09-23-2023, 11:17 AM
Ret26
Navigator

I parked the 09 outside for7 years also and when I traded it in it still looked like it came off the showroom floor. Both of my corvette’s were daily drivers. Don’t think parking outside is the problem if it were why wouldn’t the whole car have this issue, and by the way I do have a car cover for the car and use during bad weather.
T0XiC417 (09-24-2023)
Old 09-23-2023, 06:49 PM
Ret26
Navigator

I was looking for a fix to the issue and wanted to know if this was an issue with other 2016 vehicles if it was it would give me an idea on how to resolve this to bring the car back to its showroom look. If you have been a painter and know paint since 1980 like you say, then maybe you could come up with a solution for why this is only an issue in spots and not the entire hood and rear deck lid. Apparently you don’t think that a miscalculation in the paint mix or improperly prepping the panels could have happened. By the way thanks for the sarcasm but I thought a professional could have given better advice. Don’t bother responding if you can’t come up with something more useful to fix the issue.
Old 09-24-2023, 11:01 PM
T0XiC417
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Ret26
...I have a section on the hood, the roof and both sides of the rear hatch which are dull and very rough to the touch...
Are you able to get some pictures? I would love to compare it to the issues my 16 had. Mine was an El Paso car, now a Missouri garage kept daily driver. Although age/elements may play a factor, I don't think this is necessarily a 'normal' wear and tear issue. I seem to remember running into a thread where a guy had a similar issue happen underneath PPF on a 19k mile garage queen car, original owner. Please post pictures if you can, but I think you have a fair chance of it being saved. Find a really good shop. The one I went to has big show car/classic restoration experience, owner operated.
Old 09-25-2023, 09:43 AM
Ret26
Navigator

Photo of hood as you can see it is in spots . The edges around the vent are fine but other sections are faded and rough. Could parking outside in the weather be a contributing factor, possibly but I also park my 2008 Toyota truck outside and this hasn’t happened to the paint job on the truck. I also parked my 2009 vette outside for 7 years and when I traded it in on this vette it still looked like it came off the showroom floor. This is why I wanted to know if anyone else who owns a 2016 has had the same issue. Just trying to decide if this issue should be addressed with GM/Chevrolet or not.if this was a defect i would think they would have known about it and put out a bulletin or did a recall, but I don’t remember seeing one.

Roof line including back glass notice the difference between roof and rear section

Notice the difference between middle of deck and edge and top of rear quarter panel
Old 09-25-2023, 09:53 AM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,135 Likes on 1,831 Posts

Pictures do help,Bigly If your not the original owner?Who knows what care and abuse may have happened?From here looks like your clear coat was compromised.
Or poor factory application or something helped in the fading?A bad chemical or it could even be wax left on to bake at one time.
Obviously it wasn't purchased this way.What was your care with it's finish?
This could be moved to the car care scientists over in that section.
Old 09-25-2023, 10:04 AM
Ret26
Navigator

Thanks Dale, I bought the vehicle from a Chevrolet dealership, I don’t use any chemicals other than a car wash soap and either Meguiers or Mothers wax. I will say i am thinking about getting Cerkote to seal the car, I have seen it used on a couple of vehicles and the shine is unbelievable and the finish is extremely slick. Before I use it I will consult a auto paint shop to have it applied professionally.
Old 09-25-2023, 10:09 AM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,135 Likes on 1,831 Posts

Originally Posted by Ret26
Thanks Dale, I will consult a auto paint shop to have it applied professionally.
If I where you.If you have a light rubbing compound hanging around?Pick a small spot.Give it a little finger rub.Then finish buffing a bit.See if it clears up.
I would search for a shop that specializes in paint correction.The paint shop likes to paint
Old 09-25-2023, 10:13 AM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

Since you are the original owner, it could be possible that the hood, roof and flat part of hatch could have been damaged during shipping or out sitting in the lot waiting to be sold and the dealership fixed the damage before selling car by respraying paint and clear coat on those panels. Or it was a bad paint job on those panels from the factory and the dealer repainted/clear coated them to fix them. Did you order the car or was it on the lot sitting for a while?
Old 09-25-2023, 11:03 AM
Ret26
Navigator

It was on the lot and I saw the vehicle in passing and stopped in and looked it over
Old 09-25-2023, 11:57 AM
Rafo_Z51
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I am actually having a very similar issue with my 2017 WGG, not on the hood but definitely on the trunk, the top part of the door, and on the back panel on the roof.
Old 09-25-2023, 01:04 PM
bassmobile
Racer

Received 396 Likes on 129 Posts

I had a 2016 Shark Gray Stingray which developed clear coat fracturing all over the top surfaces except the roof (probably due to it's painted separately). All the paint experts agreed it was a factory defect, the clear coat was probably applied for the paint was fully cured. And I have read other people with the same year and color having similar issues. I also had issues with the hood, mine had the exposed carbon fiber option. Well on the very front edge the clear coat was delaminating from the carbon fiber. It looked like chips but was smooth to the touch because it was happening underneath the clear coat. As far as the rest of the car, GM pretty much gave me the middle finger saying my car was no longer under bumper to bumper warranty. Even though the car was meticulously maintained and ceramic coated. I ended up filing a complaint with the BBB on the whole issue. I ended up having all the top surfaces repainted and the clear coat on the hood repaired at a cost of over $5000. The looked better then new when finished. GM, well they reimbursed me a whole 10%. I sure hope the $500 they gave me didn't effect the GM stock!

Get notified of new replies

To Paint issue

Old 09-25-2023, 02:25 PM
Ret26
Navigator

Just out of curiosity I wonder how many vette owners are having or had this issue. My vette also has the Z-51 package and with as much as these vehicles cost one would think the product would be better made. I ran across a guy who who had a 2019 Z 06 and he showed me a couple of spots on his which appeared to be orange peel. He said he had made a complaint to the dealership and hadn’t heard back yet. I imagine they will stick him also. And to think the UAW is on strike for better pay and benefits.
As pleased as I was with my 2009 that how disappointed I am with this one.
As much as I hate to say this I have loved Corvettes ever since I was a kid but this will be the last one I own, with as much as they cost I think the quality leaves a lot to be desired. I have owned chevy’s since 1968 most were used cars, so I never complained about them just fixed and drove them. A little bit different when you purchase new, you expect a new car to have a certain quality with it.
Old 09-25-2023, 03:04 PM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,069 Likes on 984 Posts

Originally Posted by bassmobile
I had a 2016 Shark Gray Stingray which developed clear coat fracturing all over the top surfaces except the roof (probably due to it's painted separately). All the paint experts agreed it was a factory defect, the clear coat was probably applied (be?)for(e?) the paint was fully cured.
Hi Bassmobile, first of all, really sorry this happened to you. If your paint experts suggested that the color coat(s) needed to be fully cured before applying clear, it is actually the opposite (mostly). You want the color coats to be flashed, but if they wait too long then it is necessary to color sand and prep the color coat prior to clear for best adhesion. This isn't a guess - I belonged to the ISCA for some years and won multiple best paint awards.

So, the OP could have had an issue with contamination between color and clear, or some other issues. It shouldn't happen in a quality environment, but stuff does happen..........and unfortunately, some adhesion issues may not crop up for a longish period of time.
Old 09-25-2023, 09:20 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,242 Likes on 3,474 Posts

That looks awful. Who knows what went wrong, but it isn't common. Having seen it I doubt anything is going to salvage it, especially since it has a wonky feel, as well. I'd suggest simply taking it to a good paint shop and getting it fixed correctly (repainted) and move on.

Quick Reply: Paint issue