Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finding a Shop to Mount Our Run Flat Tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2023, 07:47 PM
Mikegerm_C5
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 19 Posts

I want to thank everyone for their inputs. I'm sure there is a shop or installer around that will do it with a smile. I will let you all know the outcome.
The following users liked this post:
Discount Tire (09-06-2023)
Old 09-05-2023, 09:33 PM
snomuncher
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts

My local GM dealer's Service Manager was straight with me that his tire machine is capable of mounting new tires on my 19" and 20" rims but their machine was a bit "aggressive" on such low profile tires and wide wheels. He said their was a chance of scarring or damaging the rims and he suggested looking elsewhere. I finally found an independent shop with a great reputation that repairs high-end foreign sports cars. They have a sophisticated tire machine capable of mounting low-profile tires on wide, large-diameter rims. The owner says no problem mounting the Corvette tire sizes, he's done others. I plan on using his services later this Fall when I purchase a set of the Michelin A/S 4 ZPs. You might consider trying to find a similar shop in your area as an option..
H Watkins (09-06-2023)
Old 09-05-2023, 10:18 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,257 Likes on 1,963 Posts

Originally Posted by z edge
Discount Tire scratched my wheels when i bought new tires in 2018, since the wheels were black i got a sharpie and colored it in based on someone's recommendation in here. Believe it or not that worked.

The dealer removed the GY RF from my C5 when i purchased it and put on Michelin all season non RF tires and there were no issues. I think that is the way to go moving forward.
IDK. It isn't an issue as long as you don't have a flat. Considering that I seem to get a flat on tires every couple of years, I wouldn't want to risk it. If, as I suspect that size of tire isn't common, it will be a PITA to arrange a ride home right there and then and go back there when it's fixed if they need a new tire. Don't forget, your idea of half an hour is vastly different from the tow company's. Also, as said, "How long a minute seems depends on which side of the toilet door you are on". This is my only car without a spare and I don't want to find out the hard way it was a wrong idea.
Old 09-05-2023, 10:19 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by snomuncher
My local GM dealer's Service Manager was straight with me that his tire machine is capable of mounting new tires on my 19" and 20" rims but their machine was a bit "aggressive" on such low profile tires and wide wheels. He said their was a chance of scarring or damaging the rims and he suggested looking elsewhere. I finally found an independent shop with a great reputation that repairs high-end foreign sports cars. They have a sophisticated tire machine capable of mounting low-profile tires on wide, large-diameter rims. The owner says no problem mounting the Corvette tire sizes, he's done others. I plan on using his services later this Fall when I purchase a set of the Michelin A/S 4 ZPs. You might consider trying to find a similar shop in your area as an option..
Did you ever get a chance to see what machine he uses vs the dealer? Having owned a C4, I am used to shops blowing me off when they don't want to do a repair.
Old 09-05-2023, 10:56 PM
sjw91
Burning Brakes

Received 392 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
IDK. It isn't an issue as long as you don't have a flat. Considering that I seem to get a flat on tires every couple of years, I wouldn't want to risk it. If, as I suspect that size of tire isn't common, it will be a PITA to arrange a ride home right there and then and go back there when it's fixed if they need a new tire. Don't forget, your idea of half an hour is vastly different from the tow company's. Also, as said, "How long a minute seems depends on which side of the toilet door you are on". This is my only car without a spare and I don't want to find out the hard way it was a wrong idea.
I'll back you up on that. My other car doesn't have a spare tire, and it didn't come with run flats. Getting a flat in a town I'd never been in wasn't fun.
Old 09-05-2023, 11:00 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by sjw91
I'll back you up on that. My other car doesn't have a spare tire, and it didn't come with run flats. Getting a flat in a town I'd never been in wasn't fun.
Not as bad as on a busy interstate with the trucks blowing past your butt. Ask me how I know.
sjw91 (09-06-2023)
Old 09-06-2023, 05:19 AM
Mikegerm_C5
Advanced

Originally Posted by snomuncher
That is great advice, snomuncher. A couple of shops I spoke to were straight with me as well on the difficulty of wide low profile tire mounting, particularly run flats.
Old 09-06-2023, 05:59 AM
tommydorsey
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts

You could give Rayco II a call. They are in North Jersey on rt. 46, but from their site it appears they may have the experience. No personal knowledge, I just remembered going up to somewhere on Rt. 46 back in the 80's with my Scirocco. Good luck, please post when you find someone.

Jim
Old 09-06-2023, 06:11 AM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,135 Likes on 1,831 Posts

After asking whoever you choose if they can without damage.Then ask them what tire machine they have?
If they don't have the RIGHT TOOL FOR THE JOB,RUN
A Hunter Revolution is the proper device.Worth the travel than the Friggen Misery
Next question:Can they operate it

Lucky to have the HOT setup near me.
Old 09-06-2023, 08:18 AM
2K14C7
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 522 Likes on 323 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Mikegerm_C5
There is a mobile installer option. Did you install run flats?
yes they were runflats.
Old 09-06-2023, 08:38 PM
dbdave
Le Mans Master

Received 191 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by GOLD72
Weather is a big factor on mounting low profile RF tires. The warmer the tire, the better. Best to get this done before the weather turns cooler.
My dealer had this problem. They put the tire in their paint booth for a while and it went on like it should. This was after trying their tire machine plus another dealer's and a Goodyear tire store.
Old 09-08-2023, 04:02 PM
Mikegerm_C5
Advanced

Well, today I stopped by my local Costco and asked them about their ability to install run-flats, then wide low profile run flats and then specifically on our C7s. The desk person said they can do it, they understand the issue about getting them to seal air and expressed a lot of confidence in their ability, that they have encountered many such cars, including exotics, BMWs, Mini-coopers and Corvettes that use run flats. Very matter of factly. Told me to bring jacking pucks without me asking. So I signed up for a set of Michelin PS AS4 ZPs. Same price at TR, plus they are running a promo with free installation and $100 off the set. That is not the reason for going this way, it was assurance that they can do it. Special order, said it would be a week or at the outside, two. I will let all know how it works out. Thanks for the posts, you have all been helpful.
sjw91 (09-08-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 10:56 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Well, today I stopped by my local Costco and asked them about their ability to install run-flats, then wide low profile run flats and then specifically on our C7s. The desk person said they can do it, they understand the issue about getting them to seal air and expressed a lot of confidence in their ability, that they have encountered many such cars, including exotics, BMWs, Mini-coopers and Corvettes that use run flats. Very matter of factly. Told me to bring jacking pucks without me asking. So I signed up for a set of Michelin PS AS4 ZPs. Same price at TR, plus they are running a promo with free installation and $100 off the set. That is not the reason for going this way, it was assurance that they can do it. Special order, said it would be a week or at the outside, two. I will let all know how it works out. Thanks for the posts, you have all been helpful.
Assuming Dale3 is right, if they have the machine and know how to operate it, I don't have an issue with Costco.
Old 09-18-2023, 07:51 PM
Mikegerm_C5
Advanced

Default Costco had no difficulty at all installing run flats

Today was the day my vette went to Costco for tire installation. I ordered the tires at their desk in our local Costco on 9/8, they arrived on 9/11, but they are booked so my appointment was today. I provided my jacking pucks but what I saw is they had pucks from many different cars. I did watch from outside their bays, the doors were open, still pretty warm here in Jersey. They appeared to take a lot of care in insuring the jack was properly positioned and raised it slowly. From there, the tire/wheels came off, they inspected and cleaned the stud threads. Now, from what I could see, they had no difficulty whatsoever with mounting and inflating the run flats, again they are Michelin SP AS4 ZP. No goop or snot, either. In mounting the tire/wheels back on the car, they zip the lugs back on with an air tool, but not tightened - they do that with a torque wrench and they went around twice. Then, even though they were done with the car, they keep it in the bay while I went into the store to shop for a few minutes. I was provided a debrief and told they want to see the car after 25 miles for a safety check, a torque and pressure check presumably, and recommended an alignment due to inside edges being worn more than outside (car has 25k miles, is that normal?). I saw no wheel damage at all. They use Coats APX90E machines. Looked that up and the marketing write up says all the right things about being able to install low profile run flats on big wheels, etc.

So, a positive experience. If there was a downside, they were running behind schedule, I got in their a hour later than the appointed time, and no fancy waiting room - they have the tables inside by the eatery. And they were running a free installation special.

You have to wonder about getting turned down by four shops (including Tire Rack installers) and a Chevy dealer (no call back, if they can't be bothered calling back, then they don't need my business). I have to chalk it up to lack of modern equipment and/or poor training. Perhaps with their business model they don't bother with 95th percentile cars like ours.

So there you have it.
The following 4 users liked this post by Mikegerm_C5:
DALE#3 (09-18-2023), LS1AB (09-19-2023), shekmark427 (12-01-2023), sjw91 (09-18-2023)
Old 09-18-2023, 08:34 PM
Leroyt10
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Today was the day my vette went to Costco for tire installation. I ordered the tires at their desk in our local Costco on 9/8, they arrived on 9/11, but they are booked so my appointment was today. I provided my jacking pucks but what I saw is they had pucks from many different cars. I did watch from outside their bays, the doors were open, still pretty warm here in Jersey. They appeared to take a lot of care in insuring the jack was properly positioned and raised it slowly. From there, the tire/wheels came off, they inspected and cleaned the stud threads. Now, from what I could see, they had no difficulty whatsoever with mounting and inflating the run flats, again they are Michelin SP AS4 ZP. No goop or snot, either. In mounting the tire/wheels back on the car, they zip the lugs back on with an air tool, but not tightened - they do that with a torque wrench and they went around twice. Then, even though they were done with the car, they keep it in the bay while I went into the store to shop for a few minutes. I was provided a debrief and told they want to see the car after 25 miles for a safety check, a torque and pressure check presumably, and recommended an alignment due to inside edges being worn more than outside (car has 25k miles, is that normal?). I saw no wheel damage at all. They use Coats APX90E machines. Looked that up and the marketing write up says all the right things about being able to install low profile run flats on big wheels, etc.

So, a positive experience. If there was a downside, they were running behind schedule, I got in their a hour later than the appointed time, and no fancy waiting room - they have the tables inside by the eatery. And they were running a free installation special.

You have to wonder about getting turned down by four shops (including Tire Rack installers) and a Chevy dealer (no call back, if they can't be bothered calling back, then they don't need my business). I have to chalk it up to lack of modern equipment and/or poor training. Perhaps with their business model they don't bother with 95th percentile cars like ours.

So there you have it.
Glad to hear this worked out for you. Even while being assured the best person was doing the install Discount tire scratched up my Z06 Wheels while fighting to inflate my run Flats. Am now going through replacement process.
Old 09-18-2023, 09:26 PM
aklim
Team Owner

So there you have it.
One of my Pet Peeves. When giving recommendations, you should state the store and the techs. Costo has many stores and many techs. Just because I got good work done at Zimbrick European doesn't mean you will. It is a random assignment of techs so one day you get a good guy and the next, a total moron.

I have often run late so I take it as "Par for the course".

I don't wonder. You are thinking of your father's shop. Today, with people that short staffed, you can't fire me. Think you can hurt them by not going there? Think again. There are 10 more people in line so feel free to step out. I take it as picking and choosing your job. When I had a C4 and they don't want to deal with me, they might quote me a high price so I either walk or accept. They win either way. Your job might not be a money maker so feel free to take it elsewhere. I got better paying jobs. So I would say they are not interested in certain jobs. Nothing to do with training. Everything to do with "I don't need the penny ante job." and they don't believe (rightfully so) that they need to worry about generating customer loyalty seeing as how the customer gives lip service to loyalty to the store for the most part.
Old 09-18-2023, 09:28 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Leroyt10
Glad to hear this worked out for you. Even while being assured the best person was doing the install Discount tire scratched up my Z06 Wheels while fighting to inflate my run Flats. Am now going through replacement process.
Accidents happen. We all make mistakes. As long as they are covering the costs, I guess it is the best you can hope for. Or would you rather they pull the "It was there all along." routine?

Get notified of new replies

To Finding a Shop to Mount Our Run Flat Tires

Old 09-18-2023, 10:40 PM
RacerRik
Burning Brakes

Received 474 Likes on 273 Posts

Most tire shops have an extra charge for low profile tires. I have not seen any shops that surcharge for run flats. So when you come in wanting to change low profile, run flats in large Corvette sizes with expensive tires and wheels, I can't really blame them for opting out. Even with the right machines, those tires are a pain to change and they are not making any more money from your job than they do on much easier jobs. It is a poor way to treat customers - but yes, it does make sense.
Old 09-18-2023, 10:47 PM
RacerRik
Burning Brakes

Received 474 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
Accidents happen. We all make mistakes. As long as they are covering the costs, I guess it is the best you can hope for. Or would you rather they pull the "It was there all along." routine?
I have had shops tell me it was there all along and then I pull up pictures I took before hand proving the damage was not there. Seems like that would cover it right? Wrong - the next thing they pull is "we have guy that will refinish the wheels and they will be good as new." Except they are not good as new. The spray paint they use to "refinish the wheels" last about a year and then starts flaking off and looking like $#!+. Don't ever let them "refinish your wheels". This BS is why I bought a tire machine and do all my own tire changes. I know that solution is not for everyone, but it has sure worked out for me.
Old 09-18-2023, 11:35 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RacerRik
Most tire shops have an extra charge for low profile tires. I have not seen any shops that surcharge for run flats. So when you come in wanting to change low profile, run flats in large Corvette sizes with expensive tires and wheels, I can't really blame them for opting out. Even with the right machines, those tires are a pain to change and they are not making any more money from your job than they do on much easier jobs.

It is a poor way to treat customers - but yes, it does make sense.
THAT is the problem with flat rate. In that case, it benefits the customer but hurts the tech. If you can do a 6 hour job in 4, you win. However, if you are paid by the hour, who cares? OTOH, the shop manager is also under pressure because the boss is watching his P&L which often determines bonus so that might be the case.

Agreed. However, the customer isn't all good either. Bottom line is the customer is left to fend for himself as is the shop since it is all about today's transaction. However, if we haven't done our part to cultivate the relationship with the shop, can we honestly ask for better? Sure, as a customer we profess that if the shop did this, we'd be loyal to them and even would be willing to pay more every time. When it is time for the wallet to come out, what do you think usually happens? When I shop for a good deal instead of always buying from a particular company, what message do I send?

Quick Reply: Finding a Shop to Mount Our Run Flat Tires