Sponsored by:

UPDATE! Stolen C7 RECOVERED!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2023, 06:19 PM
COVetteHunter
Heel & Toe

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts
Default UPDATE! Stolen C7 RECOVERED!

I just wanted to drop in and update anyone who may have replied to or even just read my thread "Twice Stolen Corvette - Suggestions?" I think it was...

I know I said I was "letting it go" after y'all recommended just that. And mostly, I did. I quit investigating, but I still had sale notifications coming in for EVERY Corvette for sale anywhere, lol. It was Saturday night when I finally got sick of the notifications and ACTUALLY let it go.

The Scottsdale Police Dept. recovered the car on Sunday morning, after finding some guy driving it around Scottsdale with one of those novelty plates you can get at a gift shop. A quick look at his FB page indicates that he's had the car since at least January. He was arrested, charged, and released on a PR bond within hours.

I flew down to AZ and drove it back. How fun, yet stressful! I couldn't find a dealership to change the oil or anything within the time I needed to leave, so I had to hope for the best. It isn't in perfect condition, but considering I didn't expect to ever see it again, I am elated. Thanks for all of your advice. I'll likely be back for more as repairs are needed.

Last edited by COVetteHunter; 08-31-2023 at 04:40 PM. Reason: I SPeLleD CoRveTte WrOng
The following 15 users liked this post by COVetteHunter:
AZRenegade (08-24-2023), Bayshore Vette (08-25-2023), Black 03 Z06 (08-24-2023), Black Rose-MD (08-29-2023), CorvetteMike2024 (08-24-2023), DoubleG (08-25-2023), DWhite1962 (08-25-2023), Flattman (08-25-2023), Gixxerman (08-24-2023), ICONIC7 (08-24-2023), Jeff T. (08-24-2023), JimInSoCal (08-24-2023), Mako72 (08-24-2023), orwollma (08-26-2023), ShawnZR-1 (08-28-2023) and 10 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-24-2023, 06:32 PM
Let It Ride
Melting Slicks

Received 924 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by COVetteHunter
I just wanted to srop in and update anyone who may have replied to or even just read my thread "Twice Stolen Corvette - Suggestions?" I think it was...

I know I said I was "letting it go" after y'all recommended just that. And mostly, I did. I quit investigating, but I still had sale notifications coming in for EVERY Corvete for sale anywhere, lol. It was Saturday night when I finally got sick of the notifications and ACTUALLY let it go.

The Scottsdale Police Dept. recovered the car on Sunday morning, after finding some guy driving it around Scottsdale with one of those novelty plates you can get at a gift shop. A quick look at his FB page indicates that he's had the car since at least January. He was arrested, charged, and released on a PR bond within hours.

I flew down to AZ and drove it back. How fun, yet stressful! I couldn't find a dealership to change the oil or anything within the time I needed to leave, so I had to hope for the best. It isn't in perfect condition, but considering I didn't expect to ever see it again, I am elated. Thanks for all of your advice. I'll likely be back for more as repairs are needed.

So how does that work. A stolen car 8 months ago that you got paid for, you don't just get to keep it. Don't you now have to buy it back from the insurance company?
The following users liked this post:
COVetteHunter (08-25-2023)
Old 08-24-2023, 07:23 PM
CorvetteMike2024
Corvette Junkie
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,026 Likes on 839 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Congratulations on getting your Corvette back!
The following 3 users liked this post by CorvetteMike2024:
Artarmy (08-27-2023), COVetteHunter (08-25-2023), dvilin (08-24-2023)
Old 08-24-2023, 07:29 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,932 Likes on 4,812 Posts

Glad to learn you got it back, good luck with the repairs and now enjoy it.
The following 4 users liked this post by dvilin:
Artarmy (08-27-2023), Bayshore Vette (08-25-2023), CorvetteMike2024 (08-24-2023), COVetteHunter (08-25-2023)
Old 08-24-2023, 07:49 PM
Gravitas
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Give her a nice bath and fluid change. Congratulations
The following 3 users liked this post by Gravitas:
Artarmy (08-27-2023), Bayshore Vette (08-25-2023), COVetteHunter (08-25-2023)
Old 08-24-2023, 09:59 PM
fxdwg
Heel & Toe

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Let It Ride
So how does that work. A stolen car 8 months ago that you got paid for, you don't just get to keep it. Don't you now have to buy it back from the insurance company?
Insurance had lapsed prior to it being stolen. See the original posting. It’s quite a tale.

That one really needs a hidden immobilizer installed. Congrats on getting it back. Where’s your brother now?

Last edited by fxdwg; 08-24-2023 at 10:11 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by fxdwg:
Buzzintx (08-25-2023), CorvetteMike2024 (08-24-2023), COVetteHunter (08-25-2023)
Old 08-24-2023, 10:56 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,403 Likes on 14,030 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Congrats and good luck getting it back to the pre-theft condition. Doesn't look like a lot of damage just from the pics.
Old 08-24-2023, 11:50 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,251 Likes on 1,958 Posts

Originally Posted by fxdwg
Insurance had lapsed prior to it being stolen. See the original posting. It’s quite a tale.

That one really needs a hidden immobilizer installed. Congrats on getting it back. Where’s your brother now?
That one really needs an insurance policy.
Old 08-25-2023, 12:44 AM
COVetteHunter
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Let It Ride
Bold of you to assume it was insured! lol
My brother had let the insurance lapse in August. He has a lot of issues (see original post).
Old 08-25-2023, 03:06 AM
COVetteHunter
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by fxdwg

Thanks! I thought about an Apple AirTag thing or something, but it is fully insured - for now; I won't be able to afford more than one payment. Man, I sure do wish I could keep it, at least for a while. Alas, I cannot, for I am "a poor"!
My (half) brother, we'll call him CJ, is in prison FOR VEHICLE THEFT through 6/25(ish). He is severely mentally ill, has a traumatic brain injury, and does crazy stuff after days awake on too many meds. He actually does better when in DOC custody because of the structure and supervision, especially of his prescriptions.

This freakin' car has been such a big deal for me because it (or the money from its sale) is all that remains of his two-thirds of our inheritance from our Dad's passing in 2020. So I feel like I'm doing this in honor of my Dad and Grandpa as much as anything else. He got two-thirds because I helped him sue our other (also half) brother (we'll call him JT) for his share; JT had CJ's POA when he was locked up last time, and was in charge of selling CJ's house. He did, but he kept the money. Gambled it all. He was also stealing from our Dad the whole time. I learned he wasn't using Dad's SSI checks for his HOSPITAL BILLS, but rather for his own expenses, and betting on everything from tennis to golf.

I was advised by the care facility to call Adult Protective Services, and once they stepped in, OMG. Have you seen "I Care A Lot" on Netflix? It was basically that. All terrible stuff. It's a whole separate, dramatic, crazy story that could literally be a miniseries. For our family to go through all of that crap, with only me having anything to show for it...it was so hard to let the car theft issue go, as you all suggested. With all of the other money and assets he'd had (it was $147k) for a whopping ten months already lost to his illness, addiction, and theft by scammers, finding this Corvette was the only hope for CJ to have any kind of future upon his release. At least, a future without ME having to take complete repsonsibility for him. So you can only imagine how relieved, amazed, grateful and glad to have it back.

My plan is to hopefully buy him a mobile home, or pay a year's rent somewhere and get furniture, utilities, etc. set up for him so that I don't feel obligated to let him move in with me - or guilty for not letting him. I'll still help him, unless/until things go South like they usually do. But to be fair, I've never been his caretaker before, so maybe that will make a difference? I am pretty awesome, after all.

As his POA, I have already liquidated all of his other remaining belongings except for a $400 set of car-breaking-into tools that no one seems to want - even for $250. The $284 that he did have left when I got the call from the cops on Sunday is just enough for one month of insurance. I'll need to get an estimate for the repairs, then figure out if I should do any or all of them, and what is dealer-only work vs. cheaper or DIY items. So, I have to do a lot of legwork to figure out the best way to go forward from here. In any case, it needs to be converted to cash, soon.

I'll be in touch with Victim's Services tomorrow and learn what the restitution situation looks like. I read some of the stuff today and it appears they have funds for things like covering my travel, tow lot fees and maybe some repairs? Hopefully that works out, because I can't cover many more expenses. Plus, CJ asks for money about once a week, and while this recovery trip was going on he was transferred to a new facility. Somehow that means he needs to replace everything that he's already bought - a fan, tv, tioletries, clothes, all of it. Like $400 worth of stuff, which he's only had since March & April. Then he'll want money for entertainment media and communication with me. And food. They take somewhere around 33% of whatever I send to cover his meds, pay towards restitution, and get their fees. I'm sure it wont be long until he despertely owes someone money, even though I told him not to expect funds from the car anytime soon. So either the Corvette will have to go soon, likely as-is, which will of course be a loss, or...I don't really know what another option could be. Using it to generate income somehow would be cool. But that would require money to fix and register it first. Maybe I could get my good friend who owns a sign shop to do a vynil wrap and turn it into a race car with sponsors? Hmmm...
Perhaps I can start a YouTube Channel like the CO Corvette Guy, and make a cool conclusion to that miniseries of a story! Haha!

'Spose I should quit writing another book on here and start researching things like hopefully fixing the display screen, learning all of the controls, seeing if can I replace my own headlight and such. Thanks for listening and for all of the congrats, everybody! It isn't exactly easy to get in and out of, but it sure is fun to drive! Looks good in the driveway, too.

Last edited by COVetteHunter; 08-25-2023 at 03:10 AM. Reason: Let it be known!
Bayshore Vette (08-25-2023)
Old 08-25-2023, 03:13 AM
COVetteHunter
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Congrats and good luck getting it back to the pre-theft condition. Doesn't look like a lot of damage just from the pics.

So far I've found: cracked windshield, headlight out, left front tire wear and pulling to that side, along with a shudder at speeds over 60. Display screen isn't working, there's some weird piece of orange tape on the roof just above the driver's door, a rip in the driver's seat leather, the idiot removed the spoiler then SANDED DOWN the areas where it was attached (and the taped spot, too), and I'm pretty sure he never changed the oil.
Old 08-25-2023, 03:15 AM
COVetteHunter
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by aklim
That one really needs an insurance policy.
Got it before I even left for the airport.
Old 08-25-2023, 05:18 AM
Catfish4818
Melting Slicks

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Wow.

Congrats on recovering the car. All the best with the other issues you've mentioned. I can't imagine...
Old 08-25-2023, 08:52 AM
Rabbi
Deal Maker

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 246 Posts

Thanks for the story, you sure have your hands full with brother. I hope you've tried for disability for him.
Old 08-25-2023, 10:20 AM
joeking
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

That's quite an amazing story. Glad you have the car back and plan on bringing it back to life.
Old 08-25-2023, 10:31 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by joeking
That's quite an amazing story. Glad you have the car back and plan on bringing it back to life.
Hopefully he gets insurance and not have to do this again. Glad my family is halfway around the world.
Old 08-25-2023, 11:00 AM
agapsdiver
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 147 Posts

How did they steal and daily drive the car w/o the keyfob/remote key???

Get notified of new replies

To UPDATE! Stolen C7 RECOVERED!

Old 08-25-2023, 11:09 AM
AnotherNorskie
Pro

Received 287 Likes on 180 Posts

Found the original thread: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ggestions.html

Kudos to you for taking care of your family. It's not easy but sometimes we gotta do that.
Old 08-25-2023, 11:37 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by agapsdiver
How did they steal and daily drive the car w/o the keyfob/remote key???
I see towing the car but I'm curious myself.
Old 08-25-2023, 12:27 PM
ThomasR
Melting Slicks

Received 680 Likes on 412 Posts

That car has a crazy history.

Quick Reply: UPDATE! Stolen C7 RECOVERED!