Sponsored by:

Paint mismatch? Just needs detailed? Opinions wanted please

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2023, 08:10 PM
Rutterbg
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

That El Camino is sharp looking!

I'm definitely taking it to a reputable shop to get their opinion. If all it takes it some wet sanding and polishing, I'm all for it.

I don't have pictures at the moment of the broken parts on the rear bumper cover. The plastic tabs that the screws go through are snapped off (down in the wheel well area). The bumper also appears to be separating from an internal piece (hard to explain). I've not fully pulled it off yet, so I don't know what other damage may or may not exist.

Before I remove the bumpers completely, I'm going to take it to the shop and get their opinion on the color and whether or not it needs repainted. If it doesn't, then I'll ask to see if they can repair any internal damage to the bumpers.

It will definitely look good when I'm done with it!

Worst part is, I took it to a shop for some warranty work on the drivetrain, and they're refusing to work on it because of how poorly the wrap was removed. They tried to say it was in an accident, until they found out that it was wrapped. So now it's at a other dealership hopefully getting the warranty work done first.

All in, I paid $44k for a 2019 Stingray 2LT. The next closest price 2019 with same features and roughly the same mileage was $55k no matter where I looked. For that reason, I don't mind spending some extra to get it looking good again. I figure I'm doing my part rescuing it 🙂
The following 2 users liked this post by Rutterbg:
CorvetteMike2024 (07-31-2023), joeking (08-01-2023)
Old 07-31-2023, 08:25 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,364 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

When the bumpers are removed, check carefully for any additional damage. It's not likely, but possible that it was in a low speed chain reaction, hit the car ahead and then hit from behind by the following car.

Most likely, you're just looking at paint work and you'll know that there's no other damage. Enjoy the car!

If you decide to have it wrapped later, be sure the paint guy knows you might do that. The fellow who does the XPel wraps in our area said he's never had paint come off when removing wrap, unless the area had been previously repainted. You'll probably need to wait a long time before applying new wrap, but wrap guys and paint shops should know.
Old 07-31-2023, 08:47 PM
Rutterbg
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

All good info man! There's zero other signs of any accident, so I'm really thinking it wasn't in one.

From all my research, bumper paint is very easily damaged when removing wrap if you don't do it correctly. I'm sure some bozo did it as fast as possible with a heat gun and ripped off some paint.

But yes, won't be long and it will be looking great!
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteMike2024 (07-31-2023)
Old 07-31-2023, 09:24 PM
JLSuperfly
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Rutterbg
Appreciate all your help! I'm thinking they were painted after being damaged from removing the wrap. I'll swing by a body shop and get their opinion. Hoping I can just have it paint corrected and ceramic coated! May have to get a paint job though.
Put on some shoes before going to the body shop. No shoes No service.
Old 07-31-2023, 09:27 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,364 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

^^^^^
Thinking about his scorched feet in those pics. Ouch!
Old 08-01-2023, 03:48 PM
joeking
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

You obtained a great deal on that car. I highly doubt the bumper covers will need replacement. Take it to a good body shop and they will be able to fix it up for you and maybe even touch up any other areas that might need attention. Sure it might cost you a few bucks but in the end you will win. $44K for a 2019 2lt is a steal. I had my bumper cover painted on my 2005 Corvette and the shop charged only $400. Here is a picture taken from my sale photos about 2 months ago.
The following users liked this post:
Rutterbg (08-01-2023)
Old 08-01-2023, 05:48 PM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 797 Likes on 448 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

My 2015 black stingray 2 years ago needed a front bumper respray. Too many rock chips.
I tried my best not to blend, and the bumper was sprayed twice and the color was still off.
Sold the car before giving in on blending into the hood and fenders.
White and black are the hardest to match and people think they're easy to do. So many variants.

Quick Reply: Paint mismatch? Just needs detailed? Opinions wanted please