Sponsored by:

Help with radio

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2023, 04:46 PM
Fteich
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Help with radio

I have a 2017 Grand Sport convertible, but in addition I have hearing loss from my 25 years on tanks. Here is the problem I need advice for. Going down the highway I can’t hear my music. I have the Bose with the sub. I went to several reputable shops and they were quoting $5,000+++. Has anyone put a 5 channel amp? If so did it work, what brand and how much?

thanks
Fritz
Old 07-19-2023, 04:52 PM
kdochert
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Fteich
I have a 2017 Grand Sport convertible, but in addition I have hearing loss from my 25 years on tanks. Here is the problem I need advice for. Going down the highway I can’t hear my music. I have the Bose with the sub. I went to several reputable shops and they were quoting $5,000+++. Has anyone put a 5 channel amp? If so did it work, what brand and how much?

thanks
Fritz
Are you saying you can't hear the music on the highway even if you crank the volume up really really high? I'd be really really surprised even with bad hearing if this is the case?
The following users liked this post:
Bayshore Vette (07-25-2023)
Old 07-19-2023, 06:35 PM
VinceC5
Melting Slicks

Received 368 Likes on 283 Posts

I have for less than $2K of brand name equipment. I did the work myself, so saved on that front. I have also built up systems did several other vette owners. PM me and I can help, or look through the audio/electronics sub forum.
Fteich (07-19-2023)
Old 07-19-2023, 07:32 PM
Fteich
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by kdochert
Are you saying you can't hear the music on the highway even if you crank the volume up really really high? I'd be really really surprised even with bad hearing if this is the case?
I have hearing aids that are not good and a 70% loss of hearing
Old 07-19-2023, 07:35 PM
Fteich
Heel & Toe

Default I will be in touch.

Originally Posted by VinceC5
I have for less than $2K of brand name equipment. I did the work myself, so saved on that front. I have also built up systems did several other vette owners. PM me and I can help, or look through the audio/electronics sub forum.
Thank you.
Old 07-19-2023, 08:54 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,364 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I too use hearing aids, for me the big problem is the extraneous noise in the car- tires, engine, wind, etc.
Have you experimented with the balance and tone controls in your car? Helps, some, for me.
Can you get a ride in a really quiet car, to see how it compares?
If I had the choice of a $5k new sound system, or $5k of sound insulation, I'd take the insulation.
Of course, your situation may be different.
Good luck!
Fteich (07-20-2023)
Old 07-19-2023, 08:57 PM
Dundee
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Had the same problem until I had the "Crazy Cowboy" add sound proofing. Sells a kit with instructions that would be easy for an upholstery guy to install. Search this site for him. Made listening to the radio easier after the install.

Fteich (07-20-2023)
Old 07-19-2023, 09:47 PM
Borntorun04/17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 622 Posts

Have you considered upgrading your hearing aids. I also have hearing loss not as much as you mentioned you have, I also have a 2017 GS but a coupe . My targa top is off 85% of the time. About a year ago I got a pair of Starkley EvolvAi 2000 that are Bluetooth and connect great with my iPhone . I use my iPhone music library or music apps to hear most of my music via iPhone and hearing aids. When driving my GS I use a Bluetooth device to connect iPhone with CarPlay instead of using lightning cable to connect iPhone with CarPlay. You can connect which ever way you like. As I use the cable way in my GMC Sierra and have no problem hearing music with windows down and sun roof open. When driving the GS I have no problem hearing music from radio. I’m just wondering if you might be better spending money on newer upgrade hearing devices and possibly helping with every day hearing and might help out with you car driving and music experience.
You mention your hearing aids are not good so thinking it might be good to have a conversation with your audiologist about problem hearing music when driving and see if upgrading your hearing devices would / could help out situation.

Last edited by Borntorun04/17; 07-19-2023 at 09:55 PM.
Fteich (07-20-2023)
Old 07-19-2023, 11:06 PM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 797 Likes on 448 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

I agree that the problem may not lie in your sound system.
Not sure how much louder a new aftermarket sound system is going to get considering the factory unit is pretty darn loud and thumpy if you crank it up.
I would have someone with good hearing ride with you and give you an opinion on how the system sounds.
Maybe Verts are different, but my 2LT coupe has a great sound system that is plenty loud at any highway speed with NPPs in Sport Mode.
The following 2 users liked this post by corvettezman:
Bayshore Vette (07-25-2023), Fteich (07-20-2023)
Old 07-20-2023, 12:49 AM
VinceC5
Melting Slicks

Received 368 Likes on 283 Posts

The man never said that the system didn't sound good. He said he had hearing loss and can't hear it. Don't you think he's already tried turning the volume up? He needs it louder with the top down and the only way to do that is adding an amplifier and speakers to handle/match the amplifier. Adding dynamat will aid in sound quality and clarity but will not aid in overall volume.
Fteich (07-20-2023)
Old 07-22-2023, 08:36 AM
AnotherNorskie
Pro

Received 287 Likes on 180 Posts

thanks
Fritz
Hi Fritz,

I find hearing aids and wind noise to be generally incompatible. There are some hearing aid models which filter out the wind better than others.
My hearing loss isn't profound, so I use open-canal Jabra's (rebranded Resounds') from Costco ($2k) but tend to turn them off if I don't have a passenger, or put them into 'wind mode' if I do.
I don't try to listen to the radio with the roof off, it's a lesson in frustration.

The other issue is that nearly all hearing aids are designed to amplify speech, not music, and thus music via HA"s sounds like crap. At least that's my experience, so I don't even bother (but I do enjoy podcasts).

Since your hearing loss is significant, do you have solid plugs to prevent sound from escaping? Perhaps you can upgrade your aids to be BT-compatible and thus a) block outside noise and b) send phone sounds direct to your skull? Obviously own't work if you have a passenger, but worth considering.

When motorcycling I have a similar environment (high wind noise, want audio input) and use these: https://earinc.com/product/iplugz-pr...orts-monitors/

Old 07-22-2023, 08:54 AM
Rutterbg
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sound like you need to have this kit installed. For about $1000, you can make nearly all of the outside noise go away. My buddy has it, and it's night and day difference in the road noise. I'm getting it for mine too.

https://www.exoticvette.com/the_best...corvette_.html
Old 07-22-2023, 11:47 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,956 Likes on 5,345 Posts

thanks
Fritz
I have a Z06 Coupe and know that with the exhaust set in track mode and with the stock tires it becomes impossible to hear the radio at highway speeds with the windows closed and the AC on. I also have hearing loss and wear hearing aids. If I put the exhaust in Stealth Mode then I can generally hear the music from the radio over the tire noise depending on what type of road surface the vehicle is on. There are certain pavement surfaces where the tire noise is so loud I still can't hear the radio.

If you haven't done so yet, I would suggest using the Engine Sound Management settings accessed through the center console display to set the exhaust in Stealth Mode when on the highway.

Most hearing aids that have been sold over the last 10 years have a programmable frequency response that helps reduce background noise. I would suggest talking to your hearing aid supplier to see if they can provide a program for your hearing aids that will reduce background noise so you can hear the radio better when the tires are making noise. I know my Widex Hearing Aids have a Party setting that greatly reduces background noises and helps me hear my HPDE students when I am riding in their cars at speeds well over 100 mph with wind noise and wide open throttle loud exhaust noises.

Bill
Old 07-22-2023, 01:11 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I have a Z06 Coupe and know that with the exhaust set in track mode and with the stock tires it becomes impossible to hear the radio at highway speeds with the windows closed and the AC on. I also have hearing loss and wear hearing aids. If I put the exhaust in Stealth Mode then I can generally hear the music from the radio over the tire noise depending on what type of road surface the vehicle is on. There are certain pavement surfaces where the tire noise is so loud I still can't hear the radio.

If you haven't done so yet, I would suggest using the Engine Sound Management settings accessed through the center console display to set the exhaust in Stealth Mode when on the highway.

Most hearing aids that have been sold over the last 10 years have a programmable frequency response that helps reduce background noise. I would suggest talking to your hearing aid supplier to see if they can provide a program for your hearing aids that will reduce background noise so you can hear the radio better when the tires are making noise. I know my Widex Hearing Aids have a Party setting that greatly reduces background noises and helps me hear my HPDE students when I am riding in their cars at speeds well over 100 mph with wind noise and wide open throttle loud exhaust noises.

Bill
That's interesting. My Widex aids (less than 2 years old) have a Party setting also, but the audiologist says that setting merely reduces background noise that's coming from one side only. If the noise is coming from both sides at the same time, the setting does nothing. I've tried it multiple times in noisy areas and don't think it does anything at all.
Old 07-25-2023, 01:41 PM
wgood
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Can't you use blue tooth ear plugs ???
Old 07-27-2023, 07:59 AM
Fteich
Heel & Toe

State of Texas says no.
Old 07-27-2023, 10:14 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,956 Likes on 5,345 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
That's interesting. My Widex aids (less than 2 years old) have a Party setting also, but the audiologist says that setting merely reduces background noise that's coming from one side only. If the noise is coming from both sides at the same time, the setting does nothing. I've tried it multiple times in noisy areas and don't think it does anything at all.
Check your smartphone when you set them to Party. You should be able to go to the equalizer and choose a frequency response that helps you hear better in various situations. I believe there are 4 pre-set choices plus you can make your own custom response and save it. I also have a newer version of the tulip ear pieces that help reduce noise that is bypassing the hearing aids and coming directly into the ear.

The other thing my audiologist told me was to turn down the volume when there is a lot of wind noise.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Help with radio

Old 07-28-2023, 11:30 AM
CraigStu
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 301 Posts

I think I'd look into some type of bluetooth ear buds and forget Tx regs. I bet there are some flesh colored so not noticeable to an officer. I can't imagine your driving around w/ a huge amp putting out music volume that is greater than stock. I realize you said highway but, you get off the highway at some point, and then you would be one of those who thinks everyone w/in 3 car lengths likes the same music that you do.
Old 07-28-2023, 07:29 PM
Borntorun04/17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 622 Posts

OP in post 4 you mention you hearing aids are not good. Are they Bluetooth ?
Old 07-28-2023, 08:15 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Check your smartphone when you set them to Party. You should be able to go to the equalizer and choose a frequency response that helps you hear better in various situations. I believe there are 4 pre-set choices plus you can make your own custom response and save it. I also have a newer version of the tulip ear pieces that help reduce noise that is bypassing the hearing aids and coming directly into the ear.

The other thing my audiologist told me was to turn down the volume when there is a lot of wind noise.

Bill
Thanks for the comments. I tried controlling my aids through the smartphone and found it was a lot of effort for minimal improvement and ate batteries like mad, so I stopped doing that and just adjust the volume occasionally with the buttons. But, glad it's working for you.

Quick Reply: Help with radio