Sponsored by:

Exhaust note at startup

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2023, 09:17 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,954 Likes on 5,345 Posts

Originally Posted by Rafo_Z51
Would I get any faults if I pulled the fuse for the NPP?
No. However, if you have an M7 and never use Eco Mode you won't notice much difference between having the fuse out and having the fuse in with the exhaust set in track mode. As I said in my other post, with an M7 with the Drive Mode set in Tour, Sport or Track and with Engine Sound Management set to Track Mode the only time the valves will close will be when the transmission is in 5th gear with engine rpm below 1500 or less than about 37 mph. In any other gear below 1500 rpm the Exhaust valves are open. That way you can use the features of your car to put the Exhaust in Stealth Mode if you are driving on a highway and want to listen to the radio. My Z's exhaust drowns out the radio when I have the transmission in 7th gear with the cruise set at 80 mph unless I put the exhaust in Tour or Stealth Mode.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 06-22-2023 at 09:23 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
Rafo_Z51 (06-22-2023), sjw91 (06-22-2023)
Old 06-22-2023, 09:19 AM
DGA3
Melting Slicks

Received 640 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Rafo_Z51
See, I have a Range device and my NPP is always on Track Mode but I still hear the valves close all the time.

Would pulling the fuse still cause a code with the AFM disabler?
As previously said - no.

I use the Range and have the exhaust fuse pulled.

No problems.
The following users liked this post:
Rafo_Z51 (06-22-2023)
Old 06-22-2023, 09:20 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,830 Likes on 2,071 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Let It Ride
Pulling the fuse is the same thing. All the mild to wild is doing is basically disconnecting the fuse for you..

The M2W is simply removing/inserting the fuse for you remotely. I push the right visor button and close the NPP valves. I push the left button and open the NPP valves. THe center button opens/closes the garage door.

Elmer
Old 06-22-2023, 09:24 AM
D_Moore
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

At least with the M2W, I can be quite when I leave my house at 4 in the morning and not upset neighbors
Casper001 (06-23-2023)
Old 06-22-2023, 09:32 AM
Travlee
Race Director

Received 1,146 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by D_Moore
At least with the M2W, I can be quite when I leave my house at 4 in the morning and not upset neighbors
there are times i feel bad for my neighbors, long tubes, borla atak, and decent cam....
Rafo_Z51 (06-22-2023)
Old 06-22-2023, 10:35 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 820 Likes on 389 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

You can do the same as the Mild to Wild with the Engine Management already in the car.
Old 06-22-2023, 11:01 AM
Rafo_Z51
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Got it, I misunderstood, I thought you meant that if I pulled the NPP fuse it would give me a code for the AFM. Thanks for the clarification!
Old 06-22-2023, 11:27 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,290 Likes on 849 Posts

The aggressive Cold Start mode that you love so much is the reason for the mean sound on startup that fades away. It is programmed into the ECU. What happens is the ECU pulls timing into the negatives so that the combustion process happens as late as possible and sends more heat out of the exhaust valve to light off the catalytic converters quicker. This is mandatory for all cars by the Government. You just don't hear it as much on regular cars because they are designed to be quiet.

So your valves are not closing after startup, they are staying in whatever mode the car is in. But the timing is being pushed back up into normal values a few seconds after the cold start. Same reason why you don't get a mean startup once the car is already warmed up. Like if you run into the store and come back out in 5 minutes and start the car, you don't get an aggressive startup. It's all based on estimated catalyst temperatures and coolant temps. In some older versions of HPTuners, you can change the cold start mode to either never enable, or to even enable when the car is already warm.
Old 06-22-2023, 02:18 PM
c5arlen
Melting Slicks

Received 826 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by Travlee
there are times i feel bad for my neighbors, long tubes, borla atak, and decent cam....
If only you knew! 🙄
Old 06-23-2023, 08:49 AM
DGA3
Melting Slicks

Received 640 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Internets_Ninja
The aggressive Cold Start mode that you love so much is the reason for the mean sound on startup that fades away. It is programmed into the ECU. What happens is the ECU pulls timing into the negatives so that the combustion process happens as late as possible and sends more heat out of the exhaust valve to light off the catalytic converters quicker. This is mandatory for all cars by the Government. You just don't hear it as much on regular cars because they are designed to be quiet.

So your valves are not closing after startup, they are staying in whatever mode the car is in. But the timing is being pushed back up into normal values a few seconds after the cold start. Same reason why you don't get a mean startup once the car is already warmed up. Like if you run into the store and come back out in 5 minutes and start the car, you don't get an aggressive startup. It's all based on estimated catalyst temperatures and coolant temps. In some older versions of HPTuners, you can change the cold start mode to either never enable, or to even enable when the car is already warm.
Thank you for that explanation.
Old 06-23-2023, 09:18 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Originally Posted by Let It Ride
Pulling the fuse is the same thing. All the mild to wild is doing is basically disconnecting the fuse for you..
Mild to Wild does do something, it gives you the option to turn exhaust quiet or loud at the push of a button

Something that pulling the fuse cant do
Dave
Old 06-23-2023, 09:20 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Dcasole
Mild to Wild does do something, it gives you the option to turn exhaust quiet or loud at the push of a button

Something that pulling the fuse cant do
Dave
Mild to Wild is just a way of "pulling the fuse" and putting it back at the push of a button.
Old 06-23-2023, 09:20 AM
Casper001
Race Director

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by BWF07
You can do the same as the Mild to Wild with the Engine Management already in the car.
But not as easily or quickly as the M2W allows you to do it. I press one button on my HomeLink to make my system loud, one button to make it quiet. I don't have to go through a series of buttons on the infotainment screen to make the change.
Old 06-23-2023, 09:30 AM
D_Moore
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

At only $80 it is a no brainer
Old 06-23-2023, 09:35 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Mild to Wild is just a way of "pulling the fuse" and putting it back at the push of a button.
so I thought that's what I said .......

Dave
Old 06-23-2023, 09:58 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Casper001
But not as easily or quickly as the M2W allows you to do it. I press one button on my HomeLink to make my system loud, one button to make it quiet. I don't have to go through a series of buttons on the infotainment screen to make the change.
That is how I have mine set up , one simple push ...closes it or opens it
Dave
Old 06-23-2023, 11:04 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Dcasole
so I thought that's what I said .......

Dave
Mostly yes, I was only adding the specific part about how it basically just remotely pulls the fuse so that it might be helpful to someone that may not quite understand how it works beyond the pushing of the button.
Dcasole (06-23-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust note at startup

Old 06-24-2023, 03:29 PM
--Z06--
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 47 Posts

Excellent writeup! Thank you for explaining it so well!
Leroyt10 (06-27-2023)
Old 06-26-2023, 10:04 PM
SpeedyClaxton
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pulling the fuse is the easiest way
Old 06-27-2023, 06:09 PM
Leroyt10
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron Short
I would add that even with the valves open cold start is still more aggressive.. to my understanding it has something to do with programming the timing to get the cats hot faster for emissions.
This is true.

Quick Reply: Exhaust note at startup