Sponsored by:

Moving from C5 to C7

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2023, 10:47 AM
niterydr
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
If you are truly interested in track driving go with the GS and keep it stock. An A8 GS is a fast ride around a track once you develop the skill to drive it fast. On the track, the A8 (in auto mode) with the throttle down the A8 will keep the rpm between 5000 and 6400 and most of the time between 5500 and 6400. The car won't be quite as fast as a Z06 but it will corner just as fast and you will have fewer cooling issues. Any Mods should first be reliability/safety mods such as added cooling, race seats and harnesses if you want the maximum ability to stay in your seat when pulling 1.3 or more Gs in a corner. The comp seats work fairly well but you need to be less than 6' 2" tall to use race harnesses with them. Get a 2LT with comp seats and the Nav/PDR the Z07 suspension is nice but the Z07 comes with the CCM brakes which work fine for about 15 track days and then you are looking at replacing 2 front rotors at a cost of $2000/rotor. After 20 track days, you are looking at replacing the 2 rear rotors at a cost of $2000/rotor. An AP Racing Brake kit starts looking cheap when you compare CCM rotor replacement costs.

On a road course Vs a drag strip added power doesn't do as much for you as so much depends on how fast you get around a corner. Carrying 1 mph faster speed out of a corner is like getting a 1 mph head start on a drag strip and it takes a lot of power for the other car to make up that advantage.

I drive a 2015 3LZ M7 Z06/Z07 and I track it a lot. The GS weighs less and the weight difference is at the front wheels due to the Z06 carrying the heavy SC and the intercooler. I can get my car around the track faster than most GSs, however, they aren't far behind me and the better GS drivers will leave me.

Bill
Really good feedback and I appreciate it. I wonder how much off pace a Z51 A8 would be versus a Grandsport. Would the price difference be offset by larger/better wheels/tires/swaybars? (potentially avoid a wheel crack failure I'm reading about on the GS).

I need to find a few z51's A8's and some grandsports to drive to get a comparison. It appears some basic bolt ons on either would satisify my drag and driver/ I want to go to the drag strip feelings (as long as it's mid-low 11's or better, it's the same or better than my C5 only improved everywhere else).

Old 06-02-2023, 12:10 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,009 Likes on 2,890 Posts

Originally Posted by c5arlen
Before moving from C5 to C7 a question...
Dose GM pickup the labor cost to have this done 3 times? How much $ ?
Do all C7 wheels need replacing? How much?
Do all C7 dash covering do the separation thing? How much?
What's the total in money all this cost those that bought this GM.?
My C5 has cost me nothing... Perhaps I should stop looking for a C7?
Seems as a sorta gamble
Do You find it worth the gamble? Are you waiting for the other shoe to drop sorta thing???
$5,000.00+, should cover it all, on what you've outlined.

Quick Reply: Moving from C5 to C7