Sponsored by:

Look at the factory burr job on a 78,000 lt2 grand sport lt1 block

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2023, 11:45 AM
squirrelchew
Burning Brakes

Received 555 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Factoid
lol, we’re all a bit insane. Let’s start with your user name!

A squirrel once chewed the wiring in my 1966 Bronco. My pellet gun and I got even 22 times over. No more squirrels for two years, then I saw one on the fence one morning. He got a warning shot and never came back.
Used to work dispatch and whatnot for a cable provider many years ago. Animal chew (specifically squirrels around here) was like.. the #3 or so cause of cable system outages. Theft and suckout were above it.
The following 2 users liked this post by squirrelchew:
CorvetteMike2024 (05-22-2023), Factoid (05-23-2023)
Old 05-22-2023, 02:27 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,743 Likes on 14,232 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by squirrelchew
Yeesh, now it looks like I just chain posted like an insane person. Thanks. :P
Sometimes that's just the way it turns out.
Old 05-22-2023, 10:02 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,299 Likes on 3,514 Posts

Simple, if factory it's because no one was ever supposed to see it. Shivy isn't like Swiss watch companies that finely finish their movements even if hidden away from owners' eyes.
Old 05-22-2023, 10:23 PM
Mr. Black
Le Mans Master

Received 4,229 Likes on 1,970 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I guess I'm the only one that is completely baffled by what I'm seeing here.
Old 05-22-2023, 10:26 PM
Mr. Black
Le Mans Master

Received 4,229 Likes on 1,970 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by tjm9746
If your the same guy i have read other comments from i think you pay to have your mods done right? You pick out parts have a shop put them in and call it your build ??
You're saying that to Bill Dearborn?

The following users liked this post:
ShadyVette (05-29-2023)
Old 05-23-2023, 12:13 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 9,013 Likes on 5,373 Posts

I worked in Aerospace for 35 years. I know how parts travel through a plant as different steps are done. It may not look baD too you and on camera but let me tell you if a burr hand did this type of work they wouldnt work for long. I know what tools they use and all through this block it looks like they used a hammer or a concrete cutter. That may be acceptable to you but if i ordered a block its not just on the crank by the way. I would send it back. If your the same guy i have read other comments from i think you pay to have your mods done right? You pick out parts have a shop put them in and call it your build ??
You didn't answer my question. I asked if it needed to be blended any better from a functional standpoint. Will that roughness cause an actual physical failure of the engine? Will it cause a stress crack in that area? Does it need to be any better than it is and looking nicer isn't usually a functional requirement.

Time spent making things look nice when it could be better spent making things less likely to fail is a waste of time. I worked in aerospace as well and know what has to be done and what doesn't have to be done. As we learned in all of our Quality Classes quality is about how systems/parts perform and are able to do the job they are designed to do. There are several hundred thousand parts in some missiles and most don't have to look good but every one of them has to work perfectly at the same time for a missile to complete its mission.

I don't do mods unless they are required for how I use the car (track duty). And the mods I do I do myself.

Bill
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
joghotrod (05-23-2023), Mineolajoe (05-26-2023)
Old 05-23-2023, 04:24 AM
tjm9746
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Burr job

Bill when i see work like that it makes me wonder how many other corners were cut. It dont take all day with the technology these shops have do clean it up some. You will need stitches if your not carefull where you touch that block. If you seen blending that looks like they used a cut off saw and it dont make you concerned fine.
Old 05-23-2023, 12:10 PM
TheRobSJ
Drifting

Received 691 Likes on 378 Posts

Bill when i see work like that it makes me wonder how many other corners were cut. It dont take all day with the technology these shops have do clean it up some. You will need stitches if your not carefull where you touch that block. If you seen blending that looks like they used a cut off saw and it dont make you concerned fine.
I’m not sure if you’ve seen a modern automotive production line, but I’ve seen plenty. Things move down the line pretty fast. They don’t have time to do anything but a super rough cut and that’s it. Even with cosmetic things that a customer can see such as a paint blemish, some more time is taken, but still nowhere near the level of time and care a professional detailer would use on the same blemish.

I have also seen race shop engine production. (If you ever find yourself in Charlotte and can get a tour of the Hendrick Motorsports campus, it’s really neat). There is a giant room with a fleet of Haas CNC machines making all the parts. Fine when you’re making maybe 100-150 engines a year and they all cost over $50k when they’re done.

But when you’re a manufacturer making several hundreds of thousands engines per year and they cost less than $5k? Things don’t get to look like jewelry inside. It’s just not feasible to do it. Nor is there even remotely a need to do it when 99.9% of the consumers will never even see it or care about it.

Last edited by TheRobSJ; 05-23-2023 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-23-2023, 01:38 PM
tjm9746
Instructor

Default I hear ya

I was just taken back by the lack of deburring went into my engine my LS looked much better than this block. And if you are not very carefull you will need some stiches the edges are razor sharp. But i will take care of it like i said this is the most expensive car i have ever owned and i was kind of shocked thats all.
Old 05-23-2023, 02:34 PM
TheRobSJ
Drifting

Received 691 Likes on 378 Posts

I was just taken back by the lack of deburring went into my engine my LS looked much better than this block. And if you are not very carefull you will need some stiches the edges are razor sharp. But i will take care of it like i said this is the most expensive car i have ever owned and i was kind of shocked thats all.
If it makes you feel any better, all the “it’s a Corvette not a Porsche” stuff isn’t true. I’ve seen this kind of work in Porsche engines and even on more exotic brands.
Old 05-23-2023, 03:02 PM
tjm9746
Instructor

Default I guess it's just the way it is.

Hello
Iimagine your right i never got to see in one of them exotic's but if its that way as well thats just sad. I have to deburr a lot of my block because theres little sharp burrs that can break lose and end up going through a main. Like i said to some of the other guys i was just shocked by it. I never seen this lack of deburring in any engine i have ever taken apart. Its the most expensive car i ever bought and i just dont think its ok. But if i offended you sunday i appoligize i am just taken back by it. It is what it is i will fix what i can just for peace of mind.
Old 05-24-2023, 03:31 PM
DaveInColumbus
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Bill when i see work like that it makes me wonder how many other corners were cut.
I see no evidence of corner cutting. A prior poster has already asked, without an answer, what functionality you think is impaired by the way this part was machined. I'd also like to hear the answer, because I don't see a problem.

It dont take all day with the technology these shops have do clean it up some.
This thought is quantitatively flawed, IMO. The question isn't "Does it take all day?" but "How much longer would it take?" and "How much benefit and cost is added by the extra time?"

Let's say that it takes one extra machining step to beautify a part that nobody will see. Let's say that it takes 10s to complete that step. Suppose that GM is making 40,000 of these parts per year. That's an extra 400,000s of machining time, which is 111 hours. Let's say there's some nominal value per hour for that machine time, say, $100/hour. The cosmetic fixes you desire would cost an extra 28 cents per part. And for what? In an industry that measures parts cost to 10th's of a cent, this is waste, pure and simple. I *want* GM to find ways to do everything to sufficient spec with reduced cost because I want to pay as little as possible for my Corvette. Where you see corner cutting, I see good engineering because "good enough" is a statement of excellence for every engineer.

I recommend watching A Faster Horse, a documentary about the 2015 Ford Mustang. There's a scene in which the chief engineer and the program manager are in a meeting approving close-to-first-production fixes discovered when trying to build the car. One problem with the car was that a fastener couldn't be attached to the car with the wheels attached, but the wheels were already affixed to the car at the station that fastened the screw. The engineer affirmed that the solution would work. The program manager asked what it cost. When the engineer said it was over $1/car, the program manager lost his mind. "$1.27 AND THE CUSTOMER GETS NOTHING!" It's a great line and food for thought.

Automotive and aerospace aren't brothers; they're barely cousins. The optimization criteria are quite different.
Old 05-24-2023, 04:48 PM
tjm9746
Instructor

Default Enough all ready.

If you dont mind shoddy work than this topic should not bother you. Its my engine i dont like it thats why i am fixing it. There will be no possability of burrs or chips of aluminum breaking loose and running through a bearings or into my oil pump. Its totally unacceptable to me. I was already going in to remove all the other weak links like afm lifters and cam. The springs, pistons. So i will blend the razor sharp edges and jagged drilled holes to make it right.. the crank they deburred with a cut off saw i will let stand. Thats about it i hope you understand niw and we dont have to still be talking about this for another week. Thanks for your concern advice and knowlage. Have a Great Day.
Old 05-26-2023, 08:16 AM
Tinkertech
Burning Brakes

Received 477 Likes on 304 Posts

Take a quick look at engineering drawings.

At the bottom it is always stated "break all edges"

That's deburring in engineering / drafting terms.
Old 05-26-2023, 09:42 AM
tjm9746
Instructor

Default Deburring

Lol well i guess they missed it on my car. Good thing i decided to pull the crank shaft a piece of something had already gone through the main bearing put a nice scrape in the bearing luckly it didnt damage the crank journal. So i took about 45 minutes at most and completely deburred my block flushed out all oil and water galley's and i am throwing a katech red face pump in as well. I will cut my oil filter open to see if this may have happen since the last oil change. But there is nomore jagged burrs hanging or razor shap edges in my block now and the little time it took i feel is good insurence.

Quick Reply: Look at the factory burr job on a 78,000 lt2 grand sport lt1 block