Sponsored by:

Ticking noise from passenger rear

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2023, 08:34 PM
daixloxbmw
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by LT4CMG
Perhaps go slightly higher on the torque than 184 ft lbs. with the current nut just to see if it makes a difference. You’re going to replace it anyway, at least you’ll know if it made a difference
Definitely worth a try. I got a new nut on order anyway. I'll give that a shot a report back.
Old 05-15-2023, 08:45 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,597 Likes on 2,815 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

It’s a good idea. There is always a tolerance +/-. Go for 190 and see if it changes at all.
Old 05-15-2023, 09:00 PM
daixloxbmw
Pro

Originally Posted by Factoid
It’s a good idea. There is always a tolerance +/-. Go for 190 and see if it changes at all.
Agreed. It's just so annoying, especially with the weather being warmer now and doing more driving with the windows down to keep hearing all the ticking, makes the car feel so cheap.
Old 05-22-2023, 06:20 PM
daixloxbmw
Pro

Update: Tried all the suggestions in this thread, including overtightening the axle nut, replaced that axle nut with a new one torqued to spec and checked all lug nuts torqued to spec. Ended up swapping the passenger side wheel/tire with the driver side and the ticking noise also switched sides. That would seem to rule out the axle/axle nut/hub/rotor and narrow down the culprit to the wheel itself, right? Any ideas why a wheel would make a ticking noise like that? It was visually inspected for cracks as I understand these wheels (OEM Grand Sport Cup Wheels) are known for but couldn't find anything obvious to the naked eye.
Old 05-23-2023, 05:50 PM
RonC7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,300 Likes on 861 Posts

Look for a rock, nail, or screw in the tread. Although I don't understand how anything related to the wheel can be speed independent.

Ron
Old 05-23-2023, 07:51 PM
daixloxbmw
Pro

Originally Posted by RonC7
Look for a rock, nail, or screw in the tread. Although I don't understand how anything related to the wheel can be speed independent.

Ron
I'll check that again but it is not speed dependent nor related to wheel position. It does not tick once per wheel rotation. It almost seems like it is more related to load, like when I put it into gear either D or R, then lift off the brake, during that initial roll from a dead stop and the torque loads up on the wheel, there's a couple ticks. Once torque is loaded on that wheel, the ticks are gone. Until you brake and come to a stop, then it repeats. However, if I keep rolling and never stop, the ticking never returns. Might be a dumb question but is it possible that the wheel itself is shifting a bit in relation to the brake rotor? Like if there was some give between the two and they weren't rotating in sync, does that make any sense? For the record, I have the lug nuts torqued to spec but I am using aftermarket McGard lug nuts. Thanks for the input!
Old 05-23-2023, 08:10 PM
RonC7
Melting Slicks

I can't see the wheel moving on the studs if lug nuts are properly torqued and you have cleaned the mating surfaces. The stock GS wheels are one piece so nothing there to move. I don't know if the rotors are one piece or 2 - but the noise moved with the wheel / tire so likely not the brakes, wheel bearing, or axle...

If you were drag racing it might be possible that the tire is slipping on the wheel, but you aren't doing that. You would probably also notice an out of balance condition.

Just for grins - have you checked that the nut on the TPMS sensor is tight? Don't think this will click, but just for completeness. I guess you could also check that the balance weights are stuck on tight too...

GL

Ron
Old 05-23-2023, 08:13 PM
daixloxbmw
Pro

I can't see the wheel moving on the studs if lug nuts are properly torqued and you have cleaned the mating surfaces. The stock GS wheels are one piece so nothing there to move. I don't know if the rotors are one piece or 2 - but the noise moved with the wheel / tire so likely not the brakes, wheel bearing, or axle...

Just for grins - have you checked that the nut on the TPMS sensor is tight? Don't think this will click, but just for completeness. I guess you could also check that the balance weights are stuck on tight too...

GL

Ron
Couldn't hurt to check all that just to be thorough. I've had some grease applied to the mating surfaces and that didn't help either.
Old 05-23-2023, 08:21 PM
RonC7
Melting Slicks

Grease does not seem like a good thing on the mating surface of the wheel / brake rotor. You are counting on the friction between the mating surfaces to keep the rotating surfaces from slipping. The wheel studs / lug nuts provide a clamping force that forces the mating surfaces together to generate the friction force. The wheel studs really aren't designed to resist wheel rotation through shear forces on the studs.

Ron
The following users liked this post:
Gearhead Jim (05-23-2023)
Old 05-23-2023, 09:42 PM
daixloxbmw
Pro

Grease does not seem like a good thing on the mating surface of the wheel / brake rotor. You are counting on the friction between the mating surfaces to keep the rotating surfaces from slipping. The wheel studs / lug nuts provide a clamping force that forces the mating surfaces together to generate the friction force. The wheel studs really aren't designed to resist wheel rotation through shear forces on the studs.

Ron
It was a desperate attempt, I'll remove it with some brake cleaner since it didn't help.

Quick Reply: Ticking noise from passenger rear