Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just found out my GS was involved in 3 prior accidents

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2023, 08:47 AM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,942 Likes on 2,428 Posts

Selling it now doesn't fix anything and you lose money flipping it for another one. I'd just keep it if everything was repaired properly. A good body shop fixes it like new.
Old 02-23-2023, 08:54 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 1,960 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxpowers
Exactly. If you take a loss on the sale to trade one good vette for another with a clean Carfax you are taking a hit for nothing.
On a clean C8, that could work.
Old 02-23-2023, 09:00 AM
JustDennis
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

as others have said, if you can't tell and are happy with the car - keep it. You can't be sure what you'll get next time
Old 02-23-2023, 10:44 AM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
It depends on the body shop. If they don't report it, Experian doesn't know. Same with Carfax. First off, I would verify what Carfax says. That way, you can get a better idea if the body shop was reputable and used proper repair techniques or just slapped something together. Then you can make your decision.
"If they don't report it, Experian doesn't know". I agree that if they don't know, they won't be able to report it. But IF they don't know, they should not indicate that it had been in no accidents. Reporting no accidents implies that they do know.
Old 02-23-2023, 11:11 AM
Bigredwing
Melting Slicks

Received 425 Likes on 301 Posts

I vote for a CARFAX error. Perhaps a professional automotive inspector can give you an accurate bill of health on the car that could accompany the cars records. If you are planning on selling it anyway I guess try to get the best price you can and move on.
Old 02-23-2023, 11:15 AM
Shokwav
Pro

Received 217 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by danjinny
I'm into the car for about $54,500. Which I thought was a tremendous deal last year.
Now I know why he sold it so cheap.
Carvana has offered me $51,200 for it.
Should I take the deal or will the value go up in the spring?
i dont know your situation but thinking about those numbers i would take the money and run. it obviously bothers you as it would me as well. to be able to walk away with such a relatively small financial hit and take the lessons learned to apply towards a new car search? i wouldn't hesitate. and i wouldnt count on prices going up in spring. they could. or maybe they dont. $51k in your pocket now and the opportunity to find a car that you feel more comfortable with seems like a pretty good solution.
The following 2 users liked this post by Shokwav:
Factoid (02-23-2023), traronf (02-23-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 12:35 PM
Travlee
Race Director

Received 1,154 Likes on 619 Posts

whos to say that number is correct, especially once they run the carfax
Old 02-23-2023, 01:01 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 822 Likes on 391 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

I bought my 2015 a few months back and I was aware of a minor rear end accident. I checked it out and had no issues. I wanted the Velocity Yellow with the Z51 gloss black wheels and the Kalahari interior, so I bought it known the CarFax show the minor incident. Of course, I am 77 and this is not my first Corvette and most likely when I do sell it will be my last so I will not be really concerned if I have to sell it for a little less than average. But I also believe to many on here make way too much out of CarFax reports and accidents. I agree if the car was in a major incident where a lot of the vehicle need repairs I might think twice, but so many cars out there get minor damage that is a simple repair I would not be concerned. As long as there is no frame damage the car should be fine. Just check it over before you buy it.
Old 02-23-2023, 01:25 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,608 Likes on 2,818 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

I hear what everyone on here is saying about keep it and drive it, but your piece of mind is a big part of your health. In fact, just as important as what you eat, how you sleep, and your activity level. Only you know how much this will eat at you. Three grand is nothing if it gives you heart ache.

This reminds me of a recent story on the C2 forum where a guy bought a beautiful coupe paying full price in Georgia and went to register it in Virginia I believe and at that point found out it has a salvage title. In spite of all the forum lawyers explaining his rights and recourse, he actually has little to none. If if banged on his brain he could sell it at a big loss or just suck it up and drive the wheels off of it.

As for the “it doesn’t matter if it looks good and drives good”, it does matter. Perhaps not to the OP, but it will matter a great deal to a future buyer. If you can dump it now, I would but only you can make that decision for you.
Old 02-23-2023, 01:54 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 876 Likes on 588 Posts

If it bothers you enough (and it seems to by your discussing it here) contact your insurance company and since "diminished value" is a real measurable characteristic they should have some charts and could give you an idea of how much value the car has actually lost. Frankly I would keep it and enjoy it.......
Old 02-23-2023, 01:59 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Originally Posted by Factoid
I hear what everyone on here is saying about keep it and drive it, but your piece of mind is a big part of your health. In fact, just as important as what you eat, how you sleep, and your activity level. Only you know how much this will eat at you. Three grand is nothing if it gives you heart ache.

This reminds me of a recent story on the C2 forum where a guy bought a beautiful coupe paying full price in Georgia and went to register it in Virginia I believe and at that point found out it has a salvage title. In spite of all the forum lawyers explaining his rights and recourse, he actually has little to none. If if banged on his brain he could sell it at a big loss or just suck it up and drive the wheels off of it.

As for the “it doesn’t matter if it looks good and drives good”, it does matter. Perhaps not to the OP, but it will matter a great deal to a future buyer. If you can dump it now, I would but only you can make that decision for you.
As for the OP the longer he keeps the car the less important any CarFax report becomes. A CarFax reporting an incident 10 years before the car comes up for sale is useless as the following history will be more important. There is far too much importance put on reporting tools like CarFax and not enough importance on properly inspecting any prospective purchase. The OP says they enjoy the car so advising them to take a financial hit (even though small) means they have to go through the PIA of selling the car, settling any loan issues, go through the angst of finding a car as good as the one he has and then going through another purchase process. Why go through all of that if they already enjoy the car they have and if they keep it for another 5 years the impact of that CarFax report will be incrementally more than zero.

Bill
Old 02-23-2023, 02:10 PM
CraigStu
Drifting

Received 414 Likes on 302 Posts

I lean towards keeping but you don't need to decide today. You can spend some time checking out the carfax info and seeing if it is legit or not. If not legit, and you can get it fixed, you are done. If it does appear to be true, then try to get details on the repairs. Maybe they were no big deal.
Old 02-23-2023, 02:52 PM
Alphadawg
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Does Experion provide a warranty like CarFax does? If so (assuming you paid for the report), see what they will do. Use that money to decide whether you'd be happier with a fresh C7
Old 02-23-2023, 03:11 PM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 609 Posts

You obviously like the car, and as mentioned, the space frame is the critical structural item with plenty of plastic attached (and easily replaced). Having a thorough inspection of any repairs by a C7 guru would satisfy me

The following users liked this post:
CorvetteMike2024 (02-23-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 04:11 PM
danjinny
Cruising

Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Um, I do believe that NO C7 has fiberglass anywhere on the car. Plastic? Heck yes!

Keep it and drive it.

Elmer
Google says C7 corvettes have fenders, doors and rear quarter panels made of fiberglass composite.
Old 02-23-2023, 04:12 PM
danjinny
Cruising

Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Alphadawg
Does Experion provide a warranty like CarFax does? If so (assuming you paid for the report), see what they will do. Use that money to decide whether you'd be happier with a fresh C7
Experian povides a warranty but for major things like branded titles, flood damage, odometer readings ect. Not for accidents.
Old 02-23-2023, 04:24 PM
T VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 65 Posts

If it was damaged it sounds like the car was repaired properly at a good shop. If you can't find any damage and it drives normal then it sounds like you will be fine. I only use Autocheck.com when I need a background on a car.

Get notified of new replies

To Just found out my GS was involved in 3 prior accidents

Old 02-23-2023, 04:47 PM
1FINE99
Melting Slicks

Received 273 Likes on 159 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Could be no more than something like AADADAMS post," After 33 Days" here in the C-7 section . It doesn't take much of a hit to have to replace parts on these cars .
But if it bothers you you need to sell it .
Old 02-23-2023, 06:28 PM
jaiyenyen
Pro

Received 415 Likes on 232 Posts

One of the reasons I like to buy new. You can sell your car but you will be buying another used c7 with possibly some bad history as well.
Old 02-23-2023, 08:20 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 1,960 Posts

Has the OP actually talked to carfax and see what shop did the repairs so he can actually talk to the shop itself. That will eliminate some questions of whether it was a mistake or not. Till then, it is anguishing over something that might not ever be.

Quick Reply: Just found out my GS was involved in 3 prior accidents